Mum defends son from mother-in-law’s fat-shaming comments

One frustrated mum has sought out opinions online, after becoming fed up with her mother-in-law continuously fat-shaming her 19-month old son.

Taking to the popular parenting website Mumsnet, the mum who goes by the username Charl881 asked fellow parents for advice regarding how to handle her mother-in-law’s unnecessary remarks.

In a post titled “To ask my MIL (mother-in-law) to stop making fat comments around my son?”, the mum said: “Two weeks in a row now my MIL has told my 19-month-old son that he’ll get fat if he keeps eating.”

“He’s not fat, nowhere near it, but even if he was I don’t think that she should be making such comments to someone at such a young age.”

“I want to ask her to stop but not sure how well it will go down or if I’m just being unreasonable,” she hoped for opinions.

7Ak2Tu_IJRITnS8ugCfDNRt0tWlPWgAGVDfxh48TE1e5VwymlhqHAwxpct3GcJ9imaXxQNrSCKnt24W8COIj78C37pA0VSKji6D05u0jEzRI0slyLVXgrKU2ZJ03_3jtMaWMSYd9

The grandma said the toddler will get “fat” if he keeps on eating. Credit: Getty.

The mum’s post was met with nearly a hundred comments, with the majority of them telling her she’s doing the right thing by calling out her mother-in-law, and pointing out the potential for such comments to cause long term psychological damage.

“It's a ridiculous thing to say that has the potential to make a child totally anxious about eating,” said one forum member.

While another person wrote: “You are definitely not being unreasonable; it's never too early to consider the effect of one's words on a developing person.”

A third person said, “You are perfectly entitled to ask her to stop saying that. She might say she's only joking but at some point he will understand and it's not a joking matter.”

Meanwhile, other mums shared similar situations with their own MIL’s. One mum wrote: “My mum is always making odd comments too, like ‘you don't want to be fat like Nanny’. I've asked her to stop and it did improve for a while. But it's like she doesn't realise she's doing it, or thinks if she's only putting herself down it doesn't matter.”

Another mum shared her colleague’s story: “A colleague of mine grew up in a household where her mother was unhealthily obsessed with weight and what the children were eating. She would feed them very little and enforce long route marches to burn off the ingested calories.”

“My colleague, now 30, has multiple serious mental health problems including eating disorders,” she told the forum members.

uBT4aWPI9pvoBspsaa2Kxi10JQ6Cusho09AM0rTevxo-qaklgTxjWeqzyb_-C5hY95lPGzLY1ucv_bMXQZN7ZblKO2xfxa2EdA08cvUTB6aQBJfr153xfRGQbVEz2Rm4CEDhy8Mp

Mum asks for help regarding her mother-in-law’s fat-shaming comments. Credit: Getty.

The mum then later clarified that her son’s diet is “perfectly balanced” and is not overweight. “No chocolate, very little processed food. I think he’s had chips about three times in his life and had no real interest in them,” she said.

“Even if he was chubby, the point is that I don’t want him growing up with negative body image.”

Many fellow mums provided their advice and suggested ways in which to respond and alert her to the problem.

One woman suggested replying: “Please don’t say that [mother-in-law], I’m sure you don’t mean anything by it but he’s really healthy and eating well and I don’t want him to get funny ideas.”

Other people advised to “nip it in the bud” by firmly calling out the mother-in-law for her inappropriate comments to avoid dealing with the long-term effects on the child.

What are your thoughts? What would be the best way to deal with this difficult situation? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
I know as a mother, you're damned if you do or not if your kids are fat. I've always struggled with my weight and kept a close eye on my kids, they were healthy hight/weight ratio... until teens... I don't know if it was then hormones or the ability to get or buy foods/extra foods/junk foods... or if it is just genetic make-up that there's just no beating... one is thin like her dad, the other is chubby like me.....we were chubby like my grandmother...but fighting with your teen about weight/food/eating.... just brought up a wall between us that she's never let down. Once they're 16, you've taught them all you can.... you just have to accept their decisions then (unless they are illegal, then you have to continue to fight to get them to change)

Reactions: Ricci and KatKop
My grandson loves his food and is chubby. I don't make any comments, I just try to give him healthy treats and take him out to do interesting activities rather than play on the ipad. Grandparents can only do their best for their grankids and leave the rest to the parents.

One frustrated mum has sought out opinions online, after becoming fed up with her mother-in-law continuously fat-shaming her 19-month old son.

Taking to the popular parenting website Mumsnet, the mum who goes by the username Charl881 asked fellow parents for advice regarding how to handle her mother-in-law’s unnecessary remarks.

In a post titled “To ask my MIL (mother-in-law) to stop making fat comments around my son?”, the mum said: “Two weeks in a row now my MIL has told my 19-month-old son that he’ll get fat if he keeps eating.”

“He’s not fat, nowhere near it, but even if he was I don’t think that she should be making such comments to someone at such a young age.”

“I want to ask her to stop but not sure how well it will go down or if I’m just being unreasonable,” she hoped for opinions.

7Ak2Tu_IJRITnS8ugCfDNRt0tWlPWgAGVDfxh48TE1e5VwymlhqHAwxpct3GcJ9imaXxQNrSCKnt24W8COIj78C37pA0VSKji6D05u0jEzRI0slyLVXgrKU2ZJ03_3jtMaWMSYd9

The grandma said the toddler will get “fat” if he keeps on eating. Credit: Getty.

The mum’s post was met with nearly a hundred comments, with the majority of them telling her she’s doing the right thing by calling out her mother-in-law, and pointing out the potential for such comments to cause long term psychological damage.

“It's a ridiculous thing to say that has the potential to make a child totally anxious about eating,” said one forum member.

While another person wrote: “You are definitely not being unreasonable; it's never too early to consider the effect of one's words on a developing person.”

A third person said, “You are perfectly entitled to ask her to stop saying that. She might say she's only joking but at some point he will understand and it's not a joking matter.”

Meanwhile, other mums shared similar situations with their own MIL’s. One mum wrote: “My mum is always making odd comments too, like ‘you don't want to be fat like Nanny’. I've asked her to stop and it did improve for a while. But it's like she doesn't realise she's doing it, or thinks if she's only putting herself down it doesn't matter.”

Another mum shared her colleague’s story: “A colleague of mine grew up in a household where her mother was unhealthily obsessed with weight and what the children were eating. She would feed them very little and enforce long route marches to burn off the ingested calories.”

“My colleague, now 30, has multiple serious mental health problems including eating disorders,” she told the forum members.

uBT4aWPI9pvoBspsaa2Kxi10JQ6Cusho09AM0rTevxo-qaklgTxjWeqzyb_-C5hY95lPGzLY1ucv_bMXQZN7ZblKO2xfxa2EdA08cvUTB6aQBJfr153xfRGQbVEz2Rm4CEDhy8Mp

Mum asks for help regarding her mother-in-law’s fat-shaming comments. Credit: Getty.

The mum then later clarified that her son’s diet is “perfectly balanced” and is not overweight. “No chocolate, very little processed food. I think he’s had chips about three times in his life and had no real interest in them,” she said.

“Even if he was chubby, the point is that I don’t want him growing up with negative body image.”

Many fellow mums provided their advice and suggested ways in which to respond and alert her to the problem.

One woman suggested replying: “Please don’t say that [mother-in-law], I’m sure you don’t mean anything by it but he’s really healthy and eating well and I don’t want him to get funny ideas.”

Other people advised to “nip it in the bud” by firmly calling out the mother-in-law for her inappropriate comments to avoid dealing with the long-term effects on the child.

What are your thoughts? What would be the best way to deal with this difficult situation? Let us know in the comments below!
Tell her mother-in-law to MHOBB (Mind Her Own B****y Business) and shut up.

I’m a mother of 5 and a grandmother of 6, any time we had problems in our home was when my mother in law would visit ( from Tasmania)
Some of her remarks would be absolutely Scathing, it came to a head the day she told our children “ the day your father married your mother it nearly killed me” we’d been married 12 or 13 years by then.
And that’s the day I told her straight out, I didn’t appreciate her remarks, this was my house and that I didn’t think that what she said was appropriate in front of my children and if she kept that up she wouldn’t be welcomed in MY house again. My husband took her aside had a quite word with her and we had no future problems after that.
She was a lovely woman she just did like the idea of her baby being married.
This woman should tell her husband how she feels, then tell ML to bugger off ( well said Kinchar)

Reactions: Ricci

MIL must be told in a gentle way that so many children can grow up with confused feelings about certain things that is drummed into them at childhood. It maybe a joke, but this child doesn’t know that. I feel that mum is doing the correct way to raise a child and who here can say that they are perfect parents. Babies aren’t born with a manual on raising them clutched in their hand.
Julia Martens.

what a shameful display of intimidation and bullying by a grandmother, who should know better! Our grandchildren need to hear positive remarks and how special they are no excuse for this behaviour. DIL speak to this ill guided individual and tell her, her behaviour needs to stop!!

• Love
Reactions: Julia TH and Ricci

Oh we have a grand mother like that. So terrible they do that

Reactions: Ricci
May be she noticed that you gave your son a pile of bacon alongside with a substantial quantity of scramble eggs. However, she shouldn't say that in front of any child so you should gently explain to her. By the way have you intend to add vegetable bit by bit in your son meals. My mum did that since we were young as a result I and my siblings grow up to love vegetable and fruit, my mother-in-law did the same so I do not have to force feeding my husband with V&F. I never had any clash with my MIL even both of us are strong will persons. Be diplomatic with your words and actions.

what a shameful display of intimidation and bullying by a grandmother, who should know better! Our grandchildren need to hear positive remarks and how special they are no excuse for this behaviour. DIL speak to this ill guided individual and tell her, her behaviour needs to stop!!
Trouble these days from young generation is from we hesitate to say something negative, if children do not behave they should be told but with an explanation. I am amused when I read that some women are so eager to have babies, they may not realize that it is hard work to discipline cute babies to be good adults