Mum called out by another parent for "enforcing gender norms" – do you agree?

A mum has been the talk of the town after offering children "gendered" lunchboxes filled with party food at her six-year-old daughter's birthday party.

On the popular forum site Reddit, she asked for opinions from fellow users if she was being unreasonable or not, since another mum called her out at the party for buying the girls lunchboxes with ‘Frozen’ on the cover, and Spiderman for the boys.

The issue began at her six-year-old daughter's birthday party. The mum was initially thinking of what to give the young guests and save on expenses at the same time.

That was when she found these cute lunch sets that came with a lunchbox and water bottle on sale. "Instead of having plates of food set out and the kids grabbing stuff, I thought it'd be fun if each kid got a lunchbox filled with food and juice in the bottle, and they could take the box/bottle home," she explained in her post.

"I bought Frozen lunchboxes for the girls and Spiderman for the boys.

"The day came, all the kids had a blast and when it was time for lunch I gave them the lunch sets," she continued.

"I did grab a couple of extras in case the kids wanted the other lunchbox (so if a girl wanted Spiderman, or vice versa) but no one said anything and they all seemed over the moon with it."

U4-9_-8wvCnOnapW_358jFkUkCLojq8xY6FIQqkFItllK2jTdxaVggY6cBuqT5Z9GiaX5XZow1lvYysNvOX11j891wpP7oCIJPrWJCxBFHQrJimMpx8PZamkHaYkMj0-1l4In8-D7pR-ahXfhw

The mum was slammed for handing out Frozen and Spiderman lunchboxes. Credit: Target.

But the problem began when another mother noticed the boys and girls carrying lunch boxes.

"She asked me if I did that on purpose, to which I replied, 'yes, I bought Frozen for girls and Spiderman for boys because I thought it'd be cute'," the mum later explained to the guest.

However, she was called "stuck in the 1900s" and accused of "enforcing gender norms" on young children instead.

"I was a bit baffled and said that was not my intention at all, and if her daughter wanted the Spiderman set I would be more than happy to give it to her since I had extras," the mum defended herself.

"She said that's not the point and I shouldn't have been giving out things based on gender in the first place."

When the woman told the guest that she was reading into things a little too much, they took off in a huff, ending the conversation. After that, the mum was left wondering if having 'gendered' lunch sets was a really bad idea.

She reiterated that she never forced the children at the party to get the Spiderman one for boys and the Frozen one for girls. She even had them made a line to retrieve their lunchboxes, and gave them the choice of which one they wanted.

"All the girls went for Frozen and the boys went for Spidey," she recalled.

"The reason I handed them out instead of leaving them out on a table for them to grab was that I didn't want the kids to fight over one another to try and get food, I thought it'd be easier if I gave them out one by one."

Thankfully for her, many others on Reddit came to her defense, claiming that the parent who was having the problem was being "ridiculous."

"You didn’t really enforce anything – the kids had choices – you just offered things in the way that was the least likely to make waves," said one user.

Another agreed and added: "You can’t really win when somebody is looking to be upset. I’ve done kids' events where parents were upset that things weren’t gendered enough. I wouldn’t worry about it."

What are your thoughts, folks? Was the mum unreasonable for handing out 'gendered' lunchbox sets at her daughter's birthday party? Or was the other parent being ridiculous for accusing her?

Sponsored

A mum has been the talk of the town after offering children "gendered" lunchboxes filled with party food at her six-year-old daughter's birthday party.

On the popular forum site Reddit, she asked for opinions from fellow users if she was being unreasonable or not, since another mum called her out at the party for buying the girls lunchboxes with ‘Frozen’ on the cover, and Spiderman for the boys.

The issue began at her six-year-old daughter's birthday party. The mum was initially thinking of what to give the young guests and save on expenses at the same time.

That was when she found these cute lunch sets that came with a lunchbox and water bottle on sale. "Instead of having plates of food set out and the kids grabbing stuff, I thought it'd be fun if each kid got a lunchbox filled with food and juice in the bottle, and they could take the box/bottle home," she explained in her post.

"The day came, all the kids had a blast and when it was time for lunch I gave them the lunch sets," she continued.

"I did grab a couple of extras in case the kids wanted the other lunchbox (so if a girl wanted Spiderman, or vice versa) but no one said anything and they all seemed over the moon with it."

U4-9_-8wvCnOnapW_358jFkUkCLojq8xY6FIQqkFItllK2jTdxaVggY6cBuqT5Z9GiaX5XZow1lvYysNvOX11j891wpP7oCIJPrWJCxBFHQrJimMpx8PZamkHaYkMj0-1l4In8-D7pR-ahXfhw

The mum was slammed for handing out Frozen and Spiderman lunchboxes. Credit: Target.

But the problem began when another mother noticed the boys and girls carrying lunch boxes.

"She asked me if I did that on purpose, to which I replied, 'yes, I bought Frozen for girls and Spiderman for boys because I thought it'd be cute'," the mum later explained to the guest.

However, she was called "stuck in the 1900s" and accused of "enforcing gender norms" on young children instead.

"I was a bit baffled and said that was not my intention at all, and if her daughter wanted the Spiderman set I would be more than happy to give it to her since I had extras," the mum defended herself.

"She said that's not the point and I shouldn't have been giving out things based on gender in the first place."

When the woman told the guest that she was reading into things a little too much, they took off in a huff, ending the conversation. After that, the mum was left wondering if having 'gendered' lunch sets was a really bad idea.

She reiterated that she never forced the children at the party to get the Spiderman one for boys and the Frozen one for girls. She even had them made a line to retrieve their lunchboxes, and gave them the choice of which one they wanted.

"The reason I handed them out instead of leaving them out on a table for them to grab was that I didn't want the kids to fight over one another to try and get food, I thought it'd be easier if I gave them out one by one."

Thankfully for her, many others on Reddit came to her defense, claiming that the parent who was having the problem was being "ridiculous."

"You didn’t really enforce anything – the kids had choices – you just offered things in the way that was the least likely to make waves," said one user.

Another agreed and added: "You can’t really win when somebody is looking to be upset. I’ve done kids' events where parents were upset that things weren’t gendered enough. I wouldn’t worry about it."

What are your thoughts, folks? Was the mum unreasonable for handing out 'gendered' lunchbox sets at her daughter's birthday party? Or was the other parent being ridiculous for accusing her?

Want on earth is the world coming to when the children chose the lunch box of their choice? Parents are the ones making these strange statements not children, let children have fun without instilling this woke value in their minds. Children will make their own choices about gender issues on their own with out adult interventions.When they are old enough to choose by them selves.

For goodness sake, let the kids be kids. If you're talking Frozen and Spiderman I would imagine the kids aren't very old, they don't yet know about "gender". They were given a choice, no-one was twisting their arm as to what they should choose. Get a life woman complaining and let your child grow up naturally.;):rolleyes:

Seriously! The way you organised your daughters birthday was delightful😍
Don't give it another thought.

So Smiggles is not gendered? Then there are the toy aisles at K-Mart, etc. guess who plays in the 'pink' aisle? (And while the girls go there, where do the boys disappear off to?)
Gendered items tend to be engineered by media, movies and *shock! horror* even parents - and by peer pressure. (But then, check your local newspaper: most of the photos of school children and sports players - among other portraits - tend to be of females. There are subtle gender pressures everywhere in our society!

I would like to know what this womans child was wearing (dress, pants or shorts).
My niece was bought up non gender. She automatically gravitated to all things pink and pretty. Children are children for such a short time. I wish parents would follow their choices instead of confusing them.

Dear God! When is this bs of looking for things to be offended about, be over?!

The other parent was an idiot…the kids are 6!!!

40 odd yrs ago when my first one was born her dad threatened to send “ it back “ if it wasn’t a girl and she was to be pretty very girly etc etc mmm how wrong was he she was a tom boy early on ,her first hair cut was a boys one mm another story .much preferred trousers etc than dresses .Now she’s still a tomboy wears her hair short short and is a lesbian so much for gendered haha but I love her to bits and she’s given me 3 grand kids who have given me 5 great grandkids

• Love
Reactions: Nardia and Ricci
Mum did right she gave them a choice as for the other mum well unless the kids were all given the same lunch box then I think she would still find something to complain about. I also think it was a great idea for serving up the food and giving them a party treat well done to the party giving mum.

Reactions: Ricci

Hi everyone I

Hi everyone I think the mum was being very generous with the gifts for the children when I went to a birthday party we all got a Lilly bag and cake to take home but I must say that was in the fifties.