Mum’s heartfelt message after sharing Big W shoppers’ incredible gesture to her son with autism

Sitting back helplessly watching the world slide down a slippery slope of chaos over the last couple of years has taken a toll on all of us. And so, the SDC is here to remind you that despite all the bad news surrounding us, a glimmer of hope pops out every now and then too – and it starts with something as small as a kind gesture.

xdilcvkS3w56COHUCQvK8xaGZfaC-l3MGhyujt5rrpHeFkz015ok7c4CvcHSLPXnS42VASsfgWKWoi9jijybJzFuJXAdM2caAVcDWKOlTWgVrjtzyF3zjk067KcMq-W0srM5CL97

Stephanie with her two, adorable little ones. Image Credit: 7NEWS

An Aussie mum was moved by the kindness of hundreds of Big W shoppers who have all willingly gone to great lengths to help her son with autism.

Single mum, Stephanie Radnoty, reached out to Big W fans back in January to ask for help with tracking down a specific clothing item that her seven-year-old, Cash, absolutely loved.

She explained that the grey t-shirt, which Stephanie bought from Big W the previous year, was the only top he would wear due to his autism.

“He even prefers to sleep in this,” the mum said.

“I have to let him put it back on after a shower then I sneak it off him when he falls asleep and hand wash it. Then put it in the dryer so when he wakes up, he can grab it out of the dryer in the morning.”

“Otherwise he’ll actually just grab it even if it’s still wet in the washing machine.”

Hoping to get her hands on more of the grey shirts, Stephanie took to the Facebook group Big W Mums Australia to check if anyone had purchased the top in question and no longer needed it.

kJ_29atRhau4cJAZHhjJcIjGypsup5xb1ZHQJ0sUsmlv7qLt-VxB_uqHSxZOXvd4ruCloiOjpQxC_egzKIsLL8nfVc4ilSa-ls9V5Ayc7Yval3AK83Rk5zcgoscMHCn84Gvp0ii1

The single mum reached out to Big W fans for help. Image Credit: Big W Mums Australia

A few months later (yesterday), the mum posted a heartfelt update sharing that hundreds of Big W shoppers had sent her shirts ‘from all over Australia’. She included a picture of the shirts, laid down and outlining the shape of a heart, to express her utmost gratitude.

“I’m sorry it’s taken me so long to express my gratitude. I wanted it to be perfect,” Stephanie wrote on Facebook.

“To convey how blown away I was by everyone’s support and kind words. That’s why it took so long. I just couldn’t find the words. I still can’t, but thought I’d better get my butt into gear before they think I wasn’t thankful. Because I am.”

“This shirt. It’s for my autistic seven-year-old son. Over the last school holidays, I made a post looking for this shirt. My son lived in it... it wasn’t fun. So when I reached out on a few Facebook pages I was desperate.”

“Shirts were sent from all over Australia! From other parents of neurodiverse children, to staff who work for Big W. Some very loved shirts. Some were gifted by kids of parents reading the post.”

“One was even found, brand new in store! Which was amazing as it was last season’s. The response was amazing and I want to thank every single one of you who searched for me and my son – and those who sent the shirts.”

“Every one of you sent them without asking for money. Not even to cover the postage.”

Stephanie added that it has been a rough time for her and her young children.

“Now, none of you were aware that I’m a single mum,” she continued.

“I haven’t been able to return to work after having my daughter due to all the appointments and supports I have in place for my son and the frequency I would be called to pick him up from school early due to his behaviours (this has since calmed down, knock on wood).”

kzsU57_EJjA-WBOUHo9CLOwtAuSv5cSHeRLsB1VreVPIJEYR9TwGyhGSFr43aK_8qgs8TmT9GlgP7jYmxVgvQD2fZcYRlAinU6nIenTSSMLbC3v9ys2o_vvMtFhOCoKdgNFeRkkQ

Stephanie Radnoty’s follow up Facebook post. Image Credit: Big W Mums Australia

“And my two-year-old daughter has been in and out of hospital for the last year after having an emergency C.T scan followed by repeat MRIs after a finding. Her appointments at the hospital are still ongoing. Anyway, so, this offer to send out of your own pockets really helped me so much!”

She concluded the message with: “And so many beautiful people commented and messaged. The support was overwhelming at a time when not much was going well for me and my little family ... So it really lifted my spirits.”

In an interview with 7NEWS, Stephanie said she hopes that Cash’s story enlightens fellow parents of neurotypical children to further understand the needs of children with autism.

“Other than showing the generosity of people, I think it also shines some light on how challenging something that usually seems so simple for neuro-typical children or people can be for those with these sensory or behavioural issues,” she said.

“If you read some comments on my original post back in January, you’ll be able to see just how many don’t understand it. Although I did appreciate where they were coming from and they were just trying to help.”

The super mum added that she would also love to raise awareness about the battles that some children with autism face on a regular basis.

“For that conversation to happen in homes with kids who don’t face the same daily struggles,” she explained.

“Kind of know better, do better I guess. Cash was already a quirky kid, with his own set of challenges before even considering the autism.”

“If the playground Cash plays in has even one kid who has had this chat with their parents, then I think it may make his world a little easier.”

Facebook users were stunned by the collective generosity of Big W fans nationwide.

“This right here is the definition of a tribe coming together! To everyone that helped this incredible mum, you are all amazing!” praised one user.

“I love everything about this. The vibe. Your gratitude. The kindness of strangers. Everything.” another wrote.

“Thank you for sharing such a lovely post. So positive and confirms that some people are so lovely.” a third said.

“This is beautiful. As a solo mum of neurodiverse kids, this touches me too. The world can be a beautiful, considerate place and simple acts of kindness and care make every bit of difference.” a fourth commented.

We’re not even going to lie… that definitely made us tear up a bit too! What did you think of this story? Share your thoughts with us in the comments.

Learn a little more about the condition by watching the video below!

Video Credit: Hopebridge Autism Therapy Centers

Sponsored
There are a lot of lovely people out there. With all the doom and gloom going on in the world right now we need more of these good news stories. Maybe the worlds press might realise that good news does sell papers!;)

Mum’s heartfelt message after sharing Big W shoppers’ incredible gesture to her son with autism

Sitting back helplessly watching the world slide down a slippery slope of chaos over the last couple of years has taken a toll on all of us. And so, the SDC is here to remind you that despite all the bad news surrounding us, a glimmer of hope pops out every now and then too – and it starts with something as small as a kind gesture.

xdilcvkS3w56COHUCQvK8xaGZfaC-l3MGhyujt5rrpHeFkz015ok7c4CvcHSLPXnS42VASsfgWKWoi9jijybJzFuJXAdM2caAVcDWKOlTWgVrjtzyF3zjk067KcMq-W0srM5CL97

Stephanie with her two, adorable little ones. Image Credit: 7NEWS

An Aussie mum was moved by the kindness of hundreds of Big W shoppers who have all willingly gone to great lengths to help her son with autism.

Single mum, Stephanie Radnoty, reached out to Big W fans back in January to ask for help with tracking down a specific clothing item that her seven-year-old, Cash, absolutely loved.

She explained that the grey t-shirt, which Stephanie bought from Big W the previous year, was the only top he would wear due to his autism.

“He even prefers to sleep in this,” the mum said.

“I have to let him put it back on after a shower then I sneak it off him when he falls asleep and hand wash it. Then put it in the dryer so when he wakes up, he can grab it out of the dryer in the morning.”

“Otherwise he’ll actually just grab it even if it’s still wet in the washing machine.”

Hoping to get her hands on more of the grey shirts, Stephanie took to the Facebook group Big W Mums Australia to check if anyone had purchased the top in question and no longer needed it.

kJ_29atRhau4cJAZHhjJcIjGypsup5xb1ZHQJ0sUsmlv7qLt-VxB_uqHSxZOXvd4ruCloiOjpQxC_egzKIsLL8nfVc4ilSa-ls9V5Ayc7Yval3AK83Rk5zcgoscMHCn84Gvp0ii1

The single mum reached out to Big W fans for help. Image Credit: Big W Mums Australia

A few months later (yesterday), the mum posted a heartfelt update sharing that hundreds of Big W shoppers had sent her shirts ‘from all over Australia’. She included a picture of the shirts, laid down and outlining the shape of a heart, to express her utmost gratitude.

“I’m sorry it’s taken me so long to express my gratitude. I wanted it to be perfect,” Stephanie wrote on Facebook.

“To convey how blown away I was by everyone’s support and kind words. That’s why it took so long. I just couldn’t find the words. I still can’t, but thought I’d better get my butt into gear before they think I wasn’t thankful. Because I am.”

“This shirt. It’s for my autistic seven-year-old son. Over the last school holidays, I made a post looking for this shirt. My son lived in it... it wasn’t fun. So when I reached out on a few Facebook pages I was desperate.”

“Shirts were sent from all over Australia! From other parents of neurodiverse children, to staff who work for Big W. Some very loved shirts. Some were gifted by kids of parents reading the post.”

“One was even found, brand new in store! Which was amazing as it was last season’s. The response was amazing and I want to thank every single one of you who searched for me and my son – and those who sent the shirts.”

“Every one of you sent them without asking for money. Not even to cover the postage.”

Stephanie added that it has been a rough time for her and her young children.

“Now, none of you were aware that I’m a single mum,” she continued.

“I haven’t been able to return to work after having my daughter due to all the appointments and supports I have in place for my son and the frequency I would be called to pick him up from school early due to his behaviours (this has since calmed down, knock on wood).”

kzsU57_EJjA-WBOUHo9CLOwtAuSv5cSHeRLsB1VreVPIJEYR9TwGyhGSFr43aK_8qgs8TmT9GlgP7jYmxVgvQD2fZcYRlAinU6nIenTSSMLbC3v9ys2o_vvMtFhOCoKdgNFeRkkQ

Stephanie Radnoty’s follow up Facebook post. Image Credit: Big W Mums Australia

“And my two-year-old daughter has been in and out of hospital for the last year after having an emergency C.T scan followed by repeat MRIs after a finding. Her appointments at the hospital are still ongoing. Anyway, so, this offer to send out of your own pockets really helped me so much!”

She concluded the message with: “And so many beautiful people commented and messaged. The support was overwhelming at a time when not much was going well for me and my little family ... So it really lifted my spirits.”

In an interview with 7NEWS, Stephanie said she hopes that Cash’s story enlightens fellow parents of neurotypical children to further understand the needs of children with autism.

“Other than showing the generosity of people, I think it also shines some light on how challenging something that usually seems so simple for neuro-typical children or people can be for those with these sensory or behavioural issues,” she said.

“If you read some comments on my original post back in January, you’ll be able to see just how many don’t understand it. Although I did appreciate where they were coming from and they were just trying to help.”

The super mum added that she would also love to raise awareness about the battles that some children with autism face on a regular basis.

“For that conversation to happen in homes with kids who don’t face the same daily struggles,” she explained.

“Kind of know better, do better I guess. Cash was already a quirky kid, with his own set of challenges before even considering the autism.”

“If the playground Cash plays in has even one kid who has had this chat with their parents, then I think it may make his world a little easier.”

Facebook users were stunned by the collective generosity of Big W fans nationwide.

“This right here is the definition of a tribe coming together! To everyone that helped this incredible mum, you are all amazing!” praised one user.

“I love everything about this. The vibe. Your gratitude. The kindness of strangers. Everything.” another wrote.

“Thank you for sharing such a lovely post. So positive and confirms that some people are so lovely.” a third said.

“This is beautiful. As a solo mum of neurodiverse kids, this touches me too. The world can be a beautiful, considerate place and simple acts of kindness and care make every bit of difference.” a fourth commented.

We’re not even going to lie… that definitely made us tear up a bit too! What did you think of this story? Share your thoughts with us in the comments.

Learn a little more about the condition by watching the video below!

Video Credit: Hopebridge Autism Therapy Centers

Well done to all those mums who were able to help. It is not often that one hears such good news of good deeds.
How very true Chrisalis. All we usually hear from News apps or television and radio are gloom and doom stories, so it is lovely to hear a “happy ending” story. Most people are good and are always ready to help others in trouble when they can. Loved the story!