Why would you come to the Gold Coast, overpriced cess pit, Bus system is laughable, Rentals grossly overpriced, Dumps on market that would not be suitable to animals. Roads are congested and potholes.
Beaches are dangerous with discarded needles, drunk homeless people in so called family friendly precincts . Homes for aged Australians non existing.
Doesn't stop them coming to live here. I am a born and bred Gold Coaster. Man - have I seen the place change over the years. People tell me there aren't any locals. Well, yes there is. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Luckyus and Ricci
The royal commission into aged care seems to have been a great waste of taxpayers money, I have yet to hear of or see any changes that will make a positive change to the care of residents living in aged care facilities. Unless there is a huge increase in required staff to patient ratios there will be no improvement in the care given, staff don’t have the time to spend giving anything but the most basic, rushed, required care that residents need. Putting a registered nurse into all facilities won’t improve care levels, it might reduce them as less hands on staff may be employed due to the cost of wages for a registered nurse. Even the so called “not for profit” facilities care more about their annual profit margin than providing anything above the most basic care, nutrition, lifestyle than they have to, to meet the government criteria to keep their funding. I live in a reasonably large town in a country area and have been told by friends working in aged care that local facilities have trouble getting agency staff now, as they don’t want to travel out of the major city areas to work anymore. This means these facilities are always working short staffed and the residents care levels have deteriorated even further than they were. Where is the government now? I guarantee they aren’t even aware of what is happening in aged care outside the city areas and I don’t believe they care enough to find out. I doubt they even care too much if any of the royal commissions recommendations are put into place.
Until the election cycle begins. then you will be promised the earth!!

Reactions: Ricci
Currently we live in a rural community. Unfortunately we have come across the usual garage that goes on in these communities. The click seems to run the place and newcomers can be left out in the cold. Also services are pretty thin on the ground. This year we will return to the city and family and long term friends who support us. Also there is much more to do there for us. I believe loneliness is the prime driver of people going into retirement villages/aged care facilities but it isn't necessarily the answer to everyones issues
I moved from a rural community where we had lived for many years to a fringe suburb of a capital city Adjusting has been very difficult. I've been here 18 months. Each day I walk my dog. Hundreds of people know his name....a handful know mine. The empty loneliness before Christmas brought on a bought of depression and homesickness for my previous home. No family is there anymore and our rural property could not be managed by me now.
I use the net and phone to keep in contact . It's up to me to explore and reach out and find some genuine people who might want to get to know me.
I am an artist, business owner and now home renovator and gardener so there is much busyness but not a lot of joie de vivre.