Monarchist groups criticise premiers for absent reception during royal visit

In what some call a significant breach of protocol and others see as a sign of changing times, Australia's state premiers have opted out of the welcome reception for King Charles and Queen Camilla in Canberra.

The decision has sparked a debate about the monarchy's relevance in modern Australia and the priorities of its elected officials.

King Charles and Queen Camilla's arrival in Australia was meant to be a momentous occasion.

It marked the King's 17th visit to the country but his first as the reigning monarch.

The royal couple's six-day itinerary includes stops in Canberra and Sydney from October 18 to 23.

1728952784073.png
Australian state premiers in Canberra will not welcome King Charles and Queen Camilla due to other commitments. Credit: Shutterstock

However, the absence of state premiers at the welcome reception has raised eyebrows and elicited strong reactions from various quarters.

Victorian Premier Jacinta Allan and NSW Premier Chris Minns cited cabinet meetings as their inability to attend, while Queensland Premier Steven Miles is focused on his re-election campaign.

Other premiers, such as Jeremy Rockliff of Tasmania and Peter Malinauskas of South Australia, have also indicated they are otherwise occupied, with Western Australia’s Premier Roger Cook's spokesperson mentioning 'other commitments.'

Monarchist groups and opposition politicians have criticised the premiers' decision not to attend the reception.

Victorian Opposition spokesman Brad Rowswell expressed disappointment, suggesting that leadership sometimes requires setting aside personal views for the greater good.

‘Sometimes, leadership requires putting personal prejudice aside in the interests of the greater good,’ he said.

‘Premier Allan represents a state wholeheartedly embraces and supports King Charles as our Head of State’.

Bev McArthur, the Australian Monarchists League spokesperson in Victoria, called the snub a 'slap in the face' to the King and a 'monumental insult.'

‘All premiers and ministers have sworn allegiance to our monarch, Charles III, and it is a monumental insult that they now spit in his hand extended in friendship,’ she said.

‘This is a historic opportunity to unite Australia, focus on charitable work, and give back to communities. Yet our immature politicians are clearly choosing to play politics.'

On the other side of the debate, republican sentiment in Australia is gaining traction, particularly among younger generations who question the relevance of a hereditary monarch as the nation's head of state.

Esther Anatolitis, co-chair of the Australian Republic Movement and a candidate for Deputy Lord Mayor of Melbourne, sees the royal visit as an opportunity to reignite discussions about Australia's constitutional future and the possibility of becoming a republic.

‘Welcome to “Monarchy the Farewell Oz Tour." It's time to wave goodbye to royal reign,’ she said.

‘This week's visit is a valuable opportunity for us to ask that question we’ve been asking for many years: why does Australia still have a King?’

‘Does it make sense that our Head of State inherits the role by birthright and isn’t here for Australians full-time?’

‘By all means, let's welcome Charles and Camilla to Australia...but let's see this as the last visit of a sitting monarch.

Despite the controversy, the royal visit will proceed with a welcome at Parliament House by Prime Minister Anthony Albanese.

King Charles is scheduled to address an audience of distinguished Australians and pay his respects at the Australian War Memorial.

The public will also have the chance to meet the royal couple at the For Our Country memorial and the Opera House forecourt.
Key Takeaways
  • Australian state premiers will not be present to welcome King Charles and Queen Camilla in Canberra due to other commitments.
  • Victoria's Premier Jacinta Allan and NSW's Premier Chris Minns cited cabinet meetings as reasons for their absence; other premiers are occupied with various duties, including election campaigns.
  • The snub from the state premiers has been seen as an insult by monarchists and reflects the growing republican sentiment in Australia.
  • Despite the absence of state leaders, King Charles and Queen Camilla will be welcomed at the Australian Parliament by Prime Minister Anthony Albanese and will interact with the public at key events during their visit.
What are your thoughts on the state premiers' decision to skip the royal welcome reception? Is it a matter of conflicting schedules, a political statement, or something else? Feel free to share your views and experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
Respect for what....That mob has been having holidays at our expense for years. Nobody seems to want to accept all the crap we've had from them since they tried to take over Ireland, stole everything from the Irish and dumped those they didn't want in Australia Inc my GGGrandfather who only had 1 charge against him...stealing bread to feed his family after those bastards took his cow, sheep, land and home. Charlie didn't even respect his own mother when she said Camilla would NOT be queen.
I have the utmost respect for the Premiers for taking a stand. THIS IS AUSTRALIA NOT A MINI POMMY LAND. Remember that Pommy was actually POME.... PRISONER OF MOTHER ENGLAND. We still are until we stand on our own two feet
I totally agree with you. My Irish ancestor was sent here for similar reasons. But I thank him because I am Australian, and proud of it, Charles is only a human being, not a God, and he is far from perfect,I certainly would not bow and scrape to him or Camilla. I believe we are all born equal whatever our colour or race.

I think the actions reflect the disapproval of the new king and Queen consort, mainly the Queen consort, regardless of the birth right. Most people I have spoken to say they will never consider them as their king and queen, nor are they role models for people to look up too. Nobody is perfect I know but King Charles should have stepped aside for William.

No doubt King Charles and Camilla will have to watch 1000 welcome to the country smoke ceremonies that Ernie Dingo made up for a TV show. They are welcome to come to my house and I will shake hands with him and Nod acknowledging Queen Camilla. The liebor creeps can go about ruining our once great country,
Totally agree, Liebor party probably organised the snub to yet again put division in our population.

Sadly the one main thing from this is the disrespect coming from grown men, who would be the first to be upset and annoyed if someone was disrespectful to them. They did sign their allegiance to the King, therefore they need to honor that and show respect. If you no longer want to be part of the commonwealth, live in countries who are no longer part of it and see how you fare. As for our prime minister forcing the state premiers to attend it would be like having petulant children around when they are forced to visit their old aunt and uncle.

Having spent much time studying monarchies (present and historical) and ‘who’ these inheritors of privilege and wealth really are as individuals - and what they generally have NOT done to ‘deserve/earn’ their titles - I’m reassured that our premiers (who are paid from the public purse) recognise that they may have more important things to do than drop everything concerned with governance to bow to a former adulterer and his mistress. It should be noted that when we become a republic, we can still be part of the commonwealth.

Reactions: erina and BigAl6164
"King Charles is scheduled to address an audience of distinguished Australians and pay his respects at the Australian War Memorial."

1. Who decides who are "distinguished Australians"?

2. Who defines "distinguished"?

3. Why isn't the monarch addressing homeless Australians, homeless Vets, people with mental health challenges, those living with disabilities?

4. How about giving Camilla a gig addressing DV victim-survivors?

Re the Premiers: if the monarch is not visiting their state, the Premier should rock up at Canberra.

• Haha
Reactions: gamiry
Yes, King Charles is our Head of State & remain as such. Complete Due respect is totally required by all state premiers. But there again, they all give the most 'FEEBLE" of excuses why they can't attend or acknowlege him.

Will "Albo" step up ? Hasn't he already stated they he won't ? What a total disgrace by him. Absolutely HOPELESS.

Let's all face facts, as many millions of us do, if Capt., James Cook didn't claim our country in the name of King George 111., where on HELL would we be now ?

More than likely "Not Here At All".

We all should be on our hands & knees saying "Thank You Very Much".

Long live the 'Monarchy".
God save us from stupidity. There is a plate in a Chinese Museum with a perfect map of Australia inc Tasmania from the 1400's. They were followed by Dutch sailors. Not one of them shot and killed the Aboriginal and had the hide and cheek to state "we discovered Australia". You ask "where would we be if not for Cook" A BLOODY SITE BETTER OFF. I wonder why so many "Monarchists" left England and still hold onto crap.

Yes, King Charles is our Head of State & remain as such. Complete Due respect is totally required by all state premiers. But there again, they all give the most 'FEEBLE" of excuses why they can't attend or acknowlege him.

Will "Albo" step up ? Hasn't he already stated they he won't ? What a total disgrace by him. Absolutely HOPELESS.

Let's all face facts, as many millions of us do, if Capt., James Cook didn't claim our country in the name of King George 111., where on HELL would we be now ?

More than likely "Not Here At All".

We all should be on our hands & knees saying "Thank You Very Much".

Long live the 'Monarchy".
Well written. Imagine if we had turncoat Turnbull or Albosleazy as our Head of State. YUK

God save us from stupidity. There is a plate in a Chinese Museum with a perfect map of Australia inc Tasmania from the 1400's. They were followed by Dutch sailors. Not one of them shot and killed the Aboriginal and had the hide and cheek to state "we discovered Australia". You ask "where would we be if not for Cook" A BLOODY SITE BETTER OFF. I wonder why so many "Monarchists" left England and still hold onto crap.
What a sad person you are.

Reactions: pammy.pj
I agree with you.
I agree wholeheartedly. Role models, leaders, everyone in the public eye has a certain image to maintain. I'm sure Stephen Miles could have spared a few hours from his election campaign. Who knows, his lack of attendance may have cost him more votes than he gained. It's certainly lost a few Brownie points from me.

If we became a republic the fight would be on as to who would lead the country, I cannot see any of the present leaders of the different parties being capable to do the job of leading Australia.
This is not the place to have the full discussion, but there are many options for our future head of state, not just one of our current elected leaders. Only an idiot would write off that possibility of a republic without having that discussion.

• Haha
Reactions: novezar and NotNats
Respect for what....That mob has been having holidays at our expense for years. Nobody seems to want to accept all the crap we've had from them since they tried to take over Ireland, stole everything from the Irish and dumped those they didn't want in Australia Inc my GGGrandfather who only had 1 charge against him...stealing bread to feed his family after those bastards took his cow, sheep, land and home. Charlie didn't even respect his own mother when she said Camilla would NOT be queen.
I have the utmost respect for the Premiers for taking a stand. THIS IS AUSTRALIA NOT A MINI POMMY LAND. Remember that Pommy was actually POME.... PRISONER OF MOTHER ENGLAND. We still are until we stand on our own two feet
Well if you’re GGGrandfather hadn’t been sent here for what in those days was considered a crime, you’d probably be living in England and have a completely different view of royalty. Maybe time to let it go.

• Wow
Reactions: novezar and DLHM