Mistake nearly cost them $13 million: What every Lotto player needs to know before their next ticket purchase!

In a twist of fate that seems straight out of a Hollywood movie, a simple error at a grocery store lottery machine turned into a windfall for one incredibly fortunate individual. A lottery player in the US state of Illinois, who has chosen to remain anonymous, found themselves about A$13.7 million richer after a malfunctioning machine led them to play the wrong game – and win big.

The incident occurred at a Jewel-Osco grocery store in Addison, about 32 km west of downtown Chicago. The winner had intended to purchase a ticket for a different lottery game, but when the machine got stuck on Lotto, frustration turned into serendipity. 'I was a bit frustrated. I said, "What is going on? The machine won’t give me the right game!" So I decided I may as well buy the Lotto ticket,' the winner recounted to the Illinois Lottery.

compressed-lotto.jpeg
A man who refused to identify himself won US$9.2 million (around A$13.7 million) in a local lottery. Image Credit: Illinois Lottery

The decision to go with the flow proved to be life-altering. The ticket they purchased matched all six numbers in the August 24 Lotto drawing, netting them the A$13.7 million jackpot prize. The winning numbers were 2, 15, 21, 29, 42, and 44. It's a story that highlights the unpredictable nature of luck and the importance of sometimes embracing the unexpected.

The winner held onto the ticket for about a month before claiming the prize. The morning after the drawing, they checked the ticket at a machine, which displayed the massive prize amount. The shock was palpable. 'I couldn’t believe it. I looked at my wife and she was completely speechless,' the winner shared. The couple laughed about the initial frustration with the machine, now incredibly grateful for the fortunate turn of events.

For its part in selling the winning ticket, the Jewel store in Addison will receive a one percent bonus of the prize amount, which amounts to A$137,000. This win marks the second-largest prize won in the Illinois Lotto game this year, with the largest being a A$15.5 million winning ticket sold in Park Ridge in February.

The Illinois Lottery, established in 1974, has been a significant contributor to the State’s Common School Fund, supporting K-12 public education since 1985. Nearly 99 per cent of the proceeds from the Illinois Lottery go towards this fund, with the lottery also supporting various specialty causes.

As we marvel at this story, it's essential to note that playing the lottery is a game of chance, and while it can lead to life-changing moments, it's also important to play responsibly. With the price of playing the Mega Millions lottery set to increase from A$4 to A$6 in April next year, budgeting for lottery entertainment will become even more crucial.

For our members here at the Seniors Discount Club, this story serves as a reminder that sometimes, the universe has a way of surprising us in the most unexpected ways. Whether you're a regular Lotto player or someone who occasionally indulges in the dream of hitting the jackpot, remember that every ticket purchase is a leap of faith into the hands of fate.
Key Takeaways

• A lottery player in Illinois won A$13.7 million jackpot after accidentally playing the Lotto due to a malfunctioning machine.
  • The winner intended to play a different game but went ahead with the Lotto ticket when the machine froze.
  • He kept the winning ticket for a month before claiming the prize and only realised he had won the morning after the draw.
  • The retailer, Jewel in Addison, will receive a bonus of $137,000 for selling the winning ticket, and this win is the second-largest in Illinois this year.
We'd love to hear from you – have you ever experienced a stroke of luck when things didn't go as planned? Share your stories in the comments below, and let's celebrate the unpredictability of life together!

• Love
Reactions: Liag and Dynamo
Sponsored
I had a small windfall recently which went straight onto our house moving fund..
I play Saturday night lotto and I noticed a game called Super 66, I could buy 13 tickets, which is my partners birthdate and lucky number, it was the first time i'd ever played it and I won more than iv'e ever won on the regular Saturday night game.
It was draw 4509 on Sat, 5 Oct 2024 in case anyone wants to check, the screen shot is below.

Attachments

• lottowin.jpg
    lottowin.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 0
I had a small windfall recently which went straight onto our house moving fund..
I play Saturday night lotto and I noticed a game called Super 66, I could buy 13 tickets, which is my partners birthdate and lucky number, it was the first time i'd ever played it and I won more than iv'e ever won on the regular Saturday night game.
It was draw 4509 on Sat, 5 Oct 2024 in case anyone wants to check, the screen shot is below.
Congratulations on your win.....you've got to be in it to WIN it.!!!🤑

Any time I've had a wrong ticket & kept it, it's gone down the gurgler. Unfortunately, no happy wrongun's for me.

• Sad
Reactions: deni67