Minnie Mouse’s new “progressive” look sparks outrage among furious Disney fans — “I’m redesigning this!”

Not all makeovers seem to be praised on social media as Minnie Mouse's new look was met with backlash on Tuesday.

Can you see what the fuss is all about?

Minnie Mouse is arguably one of the most recognisable characters from Disney (she's the female counterpart of the company's mascot for starters).

Since her first introduction in 1928, Minnie has always worn a red and white polka-dot dress with a matching bow and a pair of yellow pumps.

However, just this Tuesday, Disneyland Paris unveiled a new look for the well-known mascot in honour of the parks 30th anniversary.

The franchise captioned the photo: "Stella McCartney has designed Minnie Mouse's very first pantsuit, and it's gorgeous 😍 #DisneylandParis30"

The new design, which was designed by Stella McCartney, ditches the red and white polka dot ensemble that Minnie used to sport for a blue polka-dot pantsuit.

She also swapped Minnie's yellow pumps for a pair of black shoes.

qaKuEhodjTOEmeFrGcdsjhlTlLL3EKZ8xA6Q7pNSgx51LlFvrHdC_SoZ-qukTtFMzKgNgwwnHCFxIAmQ3N_TevHEvT4-jWN5AtpcvI8qy6dfbUXAJWpoEcjXRM0apLh5xzkwxf4

Minnie Mouse’s new design features a blue polka-dot blazer and pants accessories with a matching ribbon and a pair of black shoes. Credit: Disneyland Paris.

Stella said that she created the new "sustainable" costume for Minnie in honour of Women's History Month — which takes place in March — and in celebration of the French park's anniversary.

The designer — who is Paul McCartney's daughter — also explained that the new design is meant to transform the mascot into "a symbol of progress for a new generation".

"I wanted Minnie to wear her very first pantsuit at Disneyland Paris, so I have designed one of my iconic costumes – a blue tuxedo – using responsibly sourced fabrics," she said.

"This new take on her signature polka dots makes Minnie Mouse a symbol of progress for a new generation."

BRYYzOGfgwy7lYSUoI1NhR0XFpcdPg7Sl3UjqYpBwBKyLh8nZ4tO9lzqQizf7JHy4gyuATMFNnaDWYJJLC4yVK-khcgs5uOZ8vskV8k06_PO6Urt1X64vkMOWq1BWXOneUlLMpU

Minnie Mouse’s original design. Credit: Disney.

However, Disney fans don't seem to be delighted with the change, with many comparing Minnie's new look with former Democratic presidential hopeful Hillary Clinton's usual outfits.

One person wrote: "Way to go, Disney, you turned Minnie Mouse into Hillary Clinton."

"I was never a Disney mascot fan but WTF?" another added.

A third chimed in: "More woke BS. The design's nice but we're talking about a character that is almost 100 years old."

"Oh Hell no. I'm re-designing this. Love the idea... despite the execution. But it's not even red?" another quipped.

9QsvP1xkhEu9cdvnZaWLQ0UYo6EbSL2CGA1AX4lvGVd6l26PI3xOAAN1WB6unGyg9XSvVsEuSOAXw4B9aeoOW3q5JYnMcoCfmIGaWvmrBpJKwqRa-bujOEfH0VTHNW6dIK5tFfw

MIGhM1dXxKsKPgD85CP8RkmcC3qmfyIZMJEF_Z6dBTTdbr4kPEHRnBocqpuhBAylF_WUpQ-xPemgt5c_ZBGwDXCcAh34mnwZni-jMmhKclA_J8UNtPb_DiNamuCwI-erpm005_0

ztq6bwmRZgC4Pf8rSKqV3hsbS_2CWN-tP29edRlCeh_sAHDjRu_yUWmQ8NCTpqmggREQjUfUr7jyOh0bWgxLq5eWKMAtDTDP3e3unUjwu9XGO5zmBnTonaJusSfoj9RC_MDvqtA

Some reactions from Twitter users. Credit: Twitter.

It should be noted that Disney has been in a string of criticisms in the past few months following the reboot of some of their classic movies with themes of racism in the company’s new streaming service Disney+.

The company has since then initiated some efforts to change its image to the general public by training its staff to be more inclusive.

However, Disney’s aims for a more inclusive approach are prone to misinterpretations from the general public.

Earlier last week, Hollywood actor Peter Dinklage called out Disney for its announcement on the new remake of the Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

The catch?

The remake will not be featuring dwarfs.

The 52-year-old actor — who is known to be one of the most successful actors with dwarfism following his role in the historical TV drama series Game of Thrones — called Disney’s move a “hypocrisy”.

More information about the issue can be found here.

How about you? What are your thoughts on Minnie Mouse's new design? Share them with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
Minnie Mouse’s new “progressive” look sparks outrage among furious Disney fans — “I’m redesigning this!”

Not all makeovers seem to be praised on social media as Minnie Mouse's new look was met with backlash on Tuesday.

Can you see what the fuss is all about?

Minnie Mouse is arguably one of the most recognisable characters from Disney (she's the female counterpart of the company's mascot for starters).

Since her first introduction in 1928, Minnie has always worn a red and white polka-dot dress with a matching bow and a pair of yellow pumps.

However, just this Tuesday, Disneyland Paris unveiled a new look for the well-known mascot in honour of the parks 30th anniversary.

The franchise captioned the photo: "Stella McCartney has designed Minnie Mouse's very first pantsuit, and it's gorgeous 😍 #DisneylandParis30"

The new design, which was designed by Stella McCartney, ditches the red and white polka dot ensemble that Minnie used to sport for a blue polka-dot pantsuit.

She also swapped Minnie's yellow pumps for a pair of black shoes.

qaKuEhodjTOEmeFrGcdsjhlTlLL3EKZ8xA6Q7pNSgx51LlFvrHdC_SoZ-qukTtFMzKgNgwwnHCFxIAmQ3N_TevHEvT4-jWN5AtpcvI8qy6dfbUXAJWpoEcjXRM0apLh5xzkwxf4

Minnie Mouse’s new design features a blue polka-dot blazer and pants accessories with a matching ribbon and a pair of black shoes. Credit: Disneyland Paris.

Stella said that she created the new "sustainable" costume for Minnie in honour of Women's History Month — which takes place in March — and in celebration of the French park's anniversary.

The designer — who is Paul McCartney's daughter — also explained that the new design is meant to transform the mascot into "a symbol of progress for a new generation".

"I wanted Minnie to wear her very first pantsuit at Disneyland Paris, so I have designed one of my iconic costumes – a blue tuxedo – using responsibly sourced fabrics," she said.

"This new take on her signature polka dots makes Minnie Mouse a symbol of progress for a new generation."

BRYYzOGfgwy7lYSUoI1NhR0XFpcdPg7Sl3UjqYpBwBKyLh8nZ4tO9lzqQizf7JHy4gyuATMFNnaDWYJJLC4yVK-khcgs5uOZ8vskV8k06_PO6Urt1X64vkMOWq1BWXOneUlLMpU

Minnie Mouse’s original design. Credit: Disney.

However, Disney fans don't seem to be delighted with the change, with many comparing Minnie's new look with former Democratic presidential hopeful Hillary Clinton's usual outfits.

One person wrote: "Way to go, Disney, you turned Minnie Mouse into Hillary Clinton."

"I was never a Disney mascot fan but WTF?" another added.

A third chimed in: "More woke BS. The design's nice but we're talking about a character that is almost 100 years old."

"Oh Hell no. I'm re-designing this. Love the idea... despite the execution. But it's not even red?" another quipped.

9QsvP1xkhEu9cdvnZaWLQ0UYo6EbSL2CGA1AX4lvGVd6l26PI3xOAAN1WB6unGyg9XSvVsEuSOAXw4B9aeoOW3q5JYnMcoCfmIGaWvmrBpJKwqRa-bujOEfH0VTHNW6dIK5tFfw

MIGhM1dXxKsKPgD85CP8RkmcC3qmfyIZMJEF_Z6dBTTdbr4kPEHRnBocqpuhBAylF_WUpQ-xPemgt5c_ZBGwDXCcAh34mnwZni-jMmhKclA_J8UNtPb_DiNamuCwI-erpm005_0

ztq6bwmRZgC4Pf8rSKqV3hsbS_2CWN-tP29edRlCeh_sAHDjRu_yUWmQ8NCTpqmggREQjUfUr7jyOh0bWgxLq5eWKMAtDTDP3e3unUjwu9XGO5zmBnTonaJusSfoj9RC_MDvqtA

Some reactions from Twitter users. Credit: Twitter.

It should be noted that Disney has been in a string of criticisms in the past few months following the reboot of some of their classic movies with themes of racism in the company’s new streaming service Disney+.

The company has since then initiated some efforts to change its image to the general public by training its staff to be more inclusive.

However, Disney’s aims for a more inclusive approach are prone to misinterpretations from the general public.

Earlier last week, Hollywood actor Peter Dinklage called out Disney for its announcement on the new remake of the Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

The catch?

The remake will not be featuring dwarfs.

The 52-year-old actor — who is known to be one of the most successful actors with dwarfism following his role in the historical TV drama series Game of Thrones — called Disney’s move a “hypocrisy”.

More information about the issue can be found here.

How about you? What are your thoughts on Minnie Mouse's new design? Share them with us in the comments below.

I love the original Minnie Mouse, no need to change this perfect icon dressed in a pretty outfit and wearing high heels!! Something I look forward to when we are over the pandemic and can get out and about safely again!!

I know we are trying to be inclusive to the gay and lesbian,etc society... but to change Minnie into a 'inter-sex' outfit... where has the 'female' representative gone???? Leave Minnie in a dress and bring in her transexual cousin (Leslie or Jordan or one of those male/female names) in the pants suit... I just see all the ground the suffragettes made for women to be seen and heard being constantly eroded these days!!

Stick with the original. If she needs an upgrade/upstyle, make sure she still looks like a woman because the blue suit makes her look like Mickey's brother!

The change is not progress, strong women can still look feminine.

The new blue outfit suggests that males are the unique possessers of strength/knowledge/intelligence/power.

So, the designer of the blue suited Minnie therefore represents that the only way to empower Minnie, is to make her masculine.

Reactions: Ricci
I would have thought everyone knew by now that Stella McCartney is a top English Fashion designer (without the need for "who is Paul McCartney's daughter") she has been around for quite a while now. That said, I seem to be of the same opinion as everyone else the outfit is a shocker. If its for a celebration give her a party dress, Stella's done a few of them. What was the prerequisite?

Reactions: Ricci