Millions of Telstra Customers Shocked by Unexpected Price Hike

Members, we've some bad news about a telecommunication giant.

If you weren’t already feeling the pinch from the steadily increasing cost of living down under, Telstra—Australia's leading telecommunications company, has unhelpfully added to the pressure by deciding to increase its prices.

Yes, you caught that right. Telstra, often an archetype of stability, isn't immune to the current economic influences, and millions of its unsuspecting customers will now be paying up to $72 more per year for their mobile phone plans.

Starting on July 4th, Telstra mobile plans will try to keep pace with the annual consumer price index (CPI), which shot up by seven per cent for the year to March.

compressed-bills.jpeg
Telstra is a prominent Australian telecommunications company offering a wide range of services, including mobile, internet, and home phone connections. Image from shutterstock

And what does this mean for you? Well, those on Telstra's cheapest post-paid plan will have to dig a little deeper into their pockets; an extra $3 a month, adding up to $36 annually for 2GB of data.

The 'basic' plan will surge from $58 to $62 monthly, while 'essential' plan customers will see their bills inflate to $72 a month instead of $68.

But it doesn't end there; Telstra's ‘premium’ plan holders will be shouldering an additional annual cost of $72.

Brad Whitcomb, Telstra Group Executive for consumer and small business, explained that these measures are a reasoned response to the currents propelling our market.

Reflecting perhaps a hint of regret, he acknowledged, 'We know price rises can be hard for some people, and we want to be clear on why we're doing this and what's available if you need support.'

While Telstra does offer some support for struggling customers through its top-up program, providing free mobile credit recharges, don't forget to make use of the now increased concession discount they offer on their 'starter plan’.

Key Takeaways
  • Telstra will inflate its prices, which will result in customers paying up to $72 more per year for their mobile phone plan.
  • The increase in charges was attributed to the rise in the annual consumer price index (CPI), which escalated seven per cent for the year to March.
  • Telstra Executive, Brad Whitcomb, admitted the price hikes could negatively impact those currently experiencing financial hardship.
  • The provider has attempted to counteract this impact by increasing the concession discount on its 'starter plan' and providing support through Telstra's top-up program, which offers free mobile credit recharge.

But before you rush to switch, remember that other providers are in the same boat.

Just last year, Optus announced mobile phone plans increase of $4 per month in August, while this year, Vodafone succumbed to a $5 hike in April.

Dear members of the Seniors Discount Club, don't hesitate to share your experience with us. Has your mobile phone bill seen a hike recently? And better yet, how have you managed to keep your costs low? We'd love to hear from you!

Sponsored
I live 40k north of Wagga Wagga and have never had trouble with Aldi on a $99. per year plan, enough data and unlimited calls and text. What I would like is a decent priced wireless internet plan for my laptop. I keep getting referred to NBN, I don't have a home phone and I am unwilling to pay the connection cost as the phone lines to our area drop out whenever it rains. No phone line no NBN no use to me. Telstra wireless price keeps going up and up.
Have you checked out Starlink for your internet ... cheaper than getting a phone line installed .. super special on their website atm .. the whole of Australia is covered by satellite and it is very fast connection. I am in regional Qld and get more than 130Mbps all the time