SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Sethia Soliman

Sethia Soliman

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2022
Millions of Aussies at risk for identity theft after Optus suffered from a major data breach

One of the biggest telecommunications companies in Australia has suffered a major cyber attack that left the personal information of millions compromised.

The company in question, Optus, confirmed on Thursday that personal details, including passport and licence numbers, and home addresses of more than 2.8 million of its customers were leaked during the cyberattack.

It is also estimated that seven million customers’ dates of birth, email addresses, and phone numbers were affected.

‘If you are an Optus customer, your name, date of birth, phone number, and email addresses may have been released. For some customers, identity document numbers such as driver's licence or passport numbers could now be in the hands of criminals.’ Scamwatch confirmed.

‘It is important to be aware that you may be at risk of identity theft. Please take urgent action to prevent harm.’

fd3uwzWMnn5xs5Blt8f59EubiUDbPNiDjODLKs2BMbFBHQx2IAHW3kmJ1cEZtICa7jxJeUb7FbVuv2eSJ-ZUFAiyXN8BtvtqokTgyCqFj1GgCMCq5XH8g0YHShrfyx4mWMZyoOH1_A-zIAsYIzAW_y1TvmqI0XIrF1L_tGPLpJeE0f3g3wj6PlEolw

The mega-telco company has confirmed the data breach. Source: Unsplash

Optus stated that it was ‘investigating the possible unauthorised access of current and former customers’ information’.

‘We are devastated to discover that we have been subject of a cyberattack that has resulted in the disclosure of our customer's personal information to someone who shouldn’t see it.’ Optus CEO Kelly Bayer Rosmarin said.

‘As soon as we knew, we took action to block the attack and began an immediate investigation.
While not everyone may be affected and our investigation is not yet complete, we want all of our customers to be aware of what has happened as soon as possible so that they can increase their vigilance.’

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) warned that cyber criminals could have sufficient means to steal the identities of up to nine million Optus customers.

The consumer watchdog’s Deputy Chair Delia Rickard detailed that the cyber attack is a serious concern due to the massive amount of personal information that the fraudsters could have accessed.

‘These are all the things that you need for identity theft and also all the things you need to personalise a scam and make it much more convincing.’ she said.

Optus assured that the payment details and account passwords have not been affected by the data breach – along with Optus services, including mobile and home internet.

Lb3iSCdUwA4cEF0yjeNvXowAXvjeK4w1QvpJXzg73s_8VENs7bviu5zYcYELSn7XG7B84x7gI_lj112Uolf4hDQxKhQG9HBzdbMnN6Lgx_nlEY80KR6LhWJ1x0bK2BEt814SSLiajcdIw0awj_YHvlWAmkD5eTLls7gNu-4N11WlbtlLn53e17TSkQ

The data of over nine million current and past Optus customers is at risk. Source: ZDNET

‘Optus has also notified key financial institutions about this matter.’ Rosmarin said.

‘While we are not aware of customers having suffered any harm, we encourage them to have heightened awareness across their accounts, including looking out for unusual or fraudulent activity and any notifications which seem odd or suspicious.’

‘We are very sorry and understand that customers will be concerned. Please be assured that we are working hard to help safeguard our customers as much as possible.’

A spokesperson for Minister for Cybersecurity Clare O’Neil revealed that they are fully aware of the incident.

‘The Australian Cybersecurity Centre is providing cybersecurity advice and technical assistance. Specific enquiries related to this incident should be directed to Optus Australia.’

Australian Federal Police, the Office of the Australian Information Regulator and other key regulators have also been notified.

What can I do to protect myself?

Scamwatch has advised Optus customers to secure their personal information by updating their passwords and enabling multi-factor authentication for banking.

Affected customers should also place limits on bank accounts, keep an eagle eye out for any unusual activities, and request a ban on credit reports if anything is suspected.

‘If you are concerned that your identity has been compromised or you have been a victim of a scam, contact your bank immediately and call IDCARE on 1800 595 160. IDCARE is Australia’s national identity and cyber support service.’ Scamwatch advises on its website.

The federal opposition described the incident as a wake-up call for tougher privacy and data laws.

While the government is set to review data security on social media platforms such as TikTok, it won’t be completed until the following year, the opposition’s spokeswoman Sarah Henderson said.

‘This is all too little, too late. Rather than kick the can down the road, Labor must urgently consider all regulatory options and act immediately to improve the privacy and safety of Australians online.’ she demanded.

Senator Henderson said the opposition had been raising the concern for months, begging the Albanese government to implement tougher online privacy and data protection laws.

The Office of the Australian Information Commissioner said it would engage with Optus to ensure compliance with the requirements of the Notifiable Data Breaches scheme. Under the framework, organisations covered by the Privacy Act are required to notify affected individuals about cyber attacks immediately.

Please be wary, everyone!

What are your thoughts about this incident? Are you a previous or current Optus customer? Should the government prioritise the implementation of tougher cyber laws? Let us know in the comments!

Learn more about the cyber attack by watching the video below:

Source: 7News

• Angry
Reactions: BJM and Ricci
My home internet is with optus my mobiles with Vodaphone.

It was only a matter of time until this happened.

I hope other companies learn from this and implement higher security.

So far I have heard nothing from ootus.

I don't have direct debit as a form of payment as I don't want my bank details stored because of this.

My only direct debit is with my insurance company

Rewind 30 years we were never ripped of back then. I'm seeing more disadvantage with modern technology but unfortunately we don't have much choice

One of the biggest telecommunications companies in Australia has suffered a major cyber attack that left the personal information of millions compromised.

The company in question, Optus, confirmed on Thursday that personal details, including passport and licence numbers, and home addresses of more than 2.8 million of its customers were leaked during the cyberattack.

It is also estimated that seven million customers’ dates of birth, email addresses, and phone numbers were affected.

‘If you are an Optus customer, your name, date of birth, phone number, and email addresses may have been released. For some customers, identity document numbers such as driver's licence or passport numbers could now be in the hands of criminals.’ Scamwatch confirmed.

‘It is important to be aware that you may be at risk of identity theft. Please take urgent action to prevent harm.’

fd3uwzWMnn5xs5Blt8f59EubiUDbPNiDjODLKs2BMbFBHQx2IAHW3kmJ1cEZtICa7jxJeUb7FbVuv2eSJ-ZUFAiyXN8BtvtqokTgyCqFj1GgCMCq5XH8g0YHShrfyx4mWMZyoOH1_A-zIAsYIzAW_y1TvmqI0XIrF1L_tGPLpJeE0f3g3wj6PlEolw

The mega-telco company has confirmed the data breach. Source: Unsplash

Optus stated that it was ‘investigating the possible unauthorised access of current and former customers’ information’.

‘We are devastated to discover that we have been subject of a cyberattack that has resulted in the disclosure of our customer's personal information to someone who shouldn’t see it.’ Optus CEO Kelly Bayer Rosmarin said.

‘As soon as we knew, we took action to block the attack and began an immediate investigation.
While not everyone may be affected and our investigation is not yet complete, we want all of our customers to be aware of what has happened as soon as possible so that they can increase their vigilance.’

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) warned that cyber criminals could have sufficient means to steal the identities of up to nine million Optus customers.

The consumer watchdog’s Deputy Chair Delia Rickard detailed that the cyber attack is a serious concern due to the massive amount of personal information that the fraudsters could have accessed.

‘These are all the things that you need for identity theft and also all the things you need to personalise a scam and make it much more convincing.’ she said.

Optus assured that the payment details and account passwords have not been affected by the data breach – along with Optus services, including mobile and home internet.

Lb3iSCdUwA4cEF0yjeNvXowAXvjeK4w1QvpJXzg73s_8VENs7bviu5zYcYELSn7XG7B84x7gI_lj112Uolf4hDQxKhQG9HBzdbMnN6Lgx_nlEY80KR6LhWJ1x0bK2BEt814SSLiajcdIw0awj_YHvlWAmkD5eTLls7gNu-4N11WlbtlLn53e17TSkQ

The data of over nine million current and past Optus customers is at risk. Source: ZDNET

‘Optus has also notified key financial institutions about this matter.’ Rosmarin said.

‘While we are not aware of customers having suffered any harm, we encourage them to have heightened awareness across their accounts, including looking out for unusual or fraudulent activity and any notifications which seem odd or suspicious.’

‘We are very sorry and understand that customers will be concerned. Please be assured that we are working hard to help safeguard our customers as much as possible.’

A spokesperson for Minister for Cybersecurity Clare O’Neil revealed that they are fully aware of the incident.

‘The Australian Cybersecurity Centre is providing cybersecurity advice and technical assistance. Specific enquiries related to this incident should be directed to Optus Australia.’

Australian Federal Police, the Office of the Australian Information Regulator and other key regulators have also been notified.

What can I do to protect myself?

Scamwatch has advised Optus customers to secure their personal information by updating their passwords and enabling multi-factor authentication for banking.

Affected customers should also place limits on bank accounts, keep an eagle eye out for any unusual activities, and request a ban on credit reports if anything is suspected.

‘If you are concerned that your identity has been compromised or you have been a victim of a scam, contact your bank immediately and call IDCARE on 1800 595 160. IDCARE is Australia’s national identity and cyber support service.’ Scamwatch advises on its website.

The federal opposition described the incident as a wake-up call for tougher privacy and data laws.

While the government is set to review data security on social media platforms such as TikTok, it won’t be completed until the following year, the opposition’s spokeswoman Sarah Henderson said.

‘This is all too little, too late. Rather than kick the can down the road, Labor must urgently consider all regulatory options and act immediately to improve the privacy and safety of Australians online.’ she demanded.

Senator Henderson said the opposition had been raising the concern for months, begging the Albanese government to implement tougher online privacy and data protection laws.

The Office of the Australian Information Commissioner said it would engage with Optus to ensure compliance with the requirements of the Notifiable Data Breaches scheme. Under the framework, organisations covered by the Privacy Act are required to notify affected individuals about cyber attacks immediately.

Please be wary, everyone!

What are your thoughts about this incident? Are you a previous or current Optus customer? Should the government prioritise the implementation of tougher cyber laws? Let us know in the comments!

Learn more about the cyber attack by watching the video below:

Source: 7News

We have had this rubbish technology forced on us so we have no choice but to use it now days and they claim it "SO" secure you don't have to worry and look what happens. This is a disgrace, are Optus going to pay if you have to have all your identity changed and or replaced, licence, bank details etc. who is paying for my time and fuel to go back and forwards to banks and rego offices etc. I don't think so. Do they REALLY care, nope, did you see in the media release the list of all the things you have with them that may be compromised but the "Good News" was that Optus Services are still up and running, that was the good news as far as they were concerned....these companies need to be held a lot more accountable for our privacy.!!!
I am so over this crap technology, it is all just a joke shoved down our throat and we are told so many times "How much we love it"......not this lad, I hate it, but do I have a choice...nope!!

I only use my mobile for calls and texts, I will not use it for any banking or emails as i have never thought it was safe preferring to use a PC with security that I trust, I admit that it can sometimes be inconvenient but will not back down on it. One concern that I have is the insistence of some telcos that you have to pay your bill by direct debit, they will not accept any other form of payment, when purchasing my last phone from Telstra I had to hand over my debit card so that the direct debit could be set up. why could I not pay the way I have for the last 20 years, that is they issue an invoice for the monthly bill and I then pay it, I have never been issued with a default from Telstra, have always paid on time, but NO if I wish to remain with Telstra a direct debit is the only payment method that they will accept now. Why is it that the telcos have so much influence on our lives and are allowed to dictate to us like this. Yes it would have been easier to walk away from the deal for the new phone and go elsewhere but living in a regional area with limited mobile signal and Telstra being the strongest I did not have a choice, again I am being dictated to.

We have had this rubbish technology forced on us so we have no choice but to use it now days and they claim it "SO" secure you don't have to worry and look what happens. This is a disgrace, are Optus going to pay if you have to have all your identity changed and or replaced, licence, bank details etc. who is paying for my time and fuel to go back and forwards to banks and rego offices etc. I don't think so. Do they REALLY care, nope, did you see in the media release the list of all the things you have with them that may be compromised but the "Good News" was that Optus Services are still up and running, that was the good news as far as they were concerned....these companies need to be held a lot more accountable for our privacy.!!!
I am so over this crap technology, it is all just a joke shoved down our throat and we are told so many times "How much we love it"......not this lad, I hate it, but do I have a choice...nope!!
so so bloody true bro automation has ruined our lives

my phone bill prepaid has been going up and up over the past 2 or so bills ..it is a set prepaid plan no i wonder why

Reactions: Ricci
my phone bill prepaid has been going up and up over the past 2 or so bills ..it is a set prepaid plan no i wonder why
If you are with Telstra they recently announced that surprise surprise they were increasing the cost of all plans and that your next bill would advise this and show the new cost of the plan that you are on

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci and Luckyus
Interesting that a Liberal senator said they've been asking for months to have the new Albanese Labour government address cyber security issues. I'm sure it was a concern long before four months ago and should have been addressed by Morrison.

I only use my mobile for calls and texts, I will not use it for any banking or emails as i have never thought it was safe preferring to use a PC with security that I trust, I admit that it can sometimes be inconvenient but will not back down on it. One concern that I have is the insistence of some telcos that you have to pay your bill by direct debit, they will not accept any other form of payment, when purchasing my last phone from Telstra I had to hand over my debit card so that the direct debit could be set up. why could I not pay the way I have for the last 20 years, that is they issue an invoice for the monthly bill and I then pay it, I have never been issued with a default from Telstra, have always paid on time, but NO if I wish to remain with Telstra a direct debit is the only payment method that they will accept now. Why is it that the telcos have so much influence on our lives and are allowed to dictate to us like this. Yes it would have been easier to walk away from the deal for the new phone and go elsewhere but living in a regional area with limited mobile signal and Telstra being the strongest I did not have a choice, again I am being dictated to.
I feel the same, I am with Optus but they have far too much influence and power over our lives. If you don't not give them all the information on yourself "That is as safe as nails" then you don't get a phone service.
Yet look what happens and they seem to think that is ok, not much we can do about it....Governments need to have a look at these companies and make them accountable for our information.

Interesting that a Liberal senator said they've been asking for months to have the new Albanese Labour government address cyber security issues. I'm sure it was a concern long before four months ago and should have been addressed by Morrison.
Morrison only addressed stuff that was relevant and beneficial to Morrison. We need to lobby our local member of now days and see if something can be done. These companies do ot have to hold all our information once they have us signed up.

Reactions: Kgee and Ricci
Sarah Henderson said.

So why did the Morrison government "kick the can down the road" for its entire period in office?

Morrison only addressed stuff that was relevant and beneficial to Morrison. We need to lobby our local member of now days and see if something can be done. These companies do ot have to hold all our information once they have us signed up.
T
Sarah Henderson said.

So why did the Morrison government "kick the can down the road" for its entire period in office?
The biggest problem I find with it all is that we are 'forced' to take all this crap. We have no choice now days, you can't even have a home phone anymore like you used to. If you want to do anything nearly now days you have to use the phone or the computer and do it online. It is so sad that we have let ourselves come to this, I get into trouble every single day for lambasting this stupid technology that apparently
"We all love so much!!"
Not this fella, sorry, I hate it with a passion but I have no choice.

I've been with Optus for years and to my knowledge this is the first time for this sort of problem. It is very annoying, however, that users haven't received any sort of communication re this as I never watch the news and so was completely unaware of it until I met a friend in a shopping centre this morning who informed me of the situation. I have a number of direct debits so I hope my bank account hasn'r been compromised.

My wife and I are both with Optus. I've got loads of information on my phone, personal and financial, but personally I'm not at all bothered with this. I wouldn't even blame Optus for it. The people I would blame are the stupid idiotic saddoes who have nothing better to do then keep trying to get into companies databases every day. Is this their idea of a days work for them? 😕

Over the last few years I've been informed of quite a few security breaches of various companies I've dealt with. Unfortunately, it's one of those things that happens in the digital age.

Anyway, I think our back account will be ok, my wife checks it every day. 😁

Our internet is with Telstra but for our mobile phones we use ALDI sim cards and I only use mine for text and making and receiving calls (mainly receiving) and that costs me about $20 per year (yes you read that right).

Senator Henderson, 'many months ago' you were in power so why did not the Morrison Government do something about this? I do expect the Albanese Government to act but your response is purely political.

Yes, I agree. It was only a matter of time before this happened. I don't do online banking because of the risk. And no direct debits. I don't know what we as consumers/victims are supposed to do about this.

T

The biggest problem I find with it all is that we are 'forced' to take all this crap. We have no choice now days, you can't even have a home phone anymore like you used to. If you want to do anything nearly now days you have to use the phone or the computer and do it online. It is so sad that we have let ourselves come to this, I get into trouble every single day for lambasting this stupid technology that apparently
"We all love so much!!"
Not this fella, sorry, I hate it with a passion but I have no choice.
Yes, it was stupid to allow this take over of everyday life and you're not alone in your feelings.