SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Jonathan Leane

Jonathan Leane

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 18, 2021
Millions of Android users at risk from new malware attack — delete these apps now to stay safe

If you have an Android smartphone or tablet, you could be at risk from a new malware attack.

According to Tom's Guide, the malware was discovered by security researchers from the antivirus software maker Dr. Web. It's been reported that Google has removed the offending apps - of which there are 36 - from its app store, but you'll still need to remove them manually if you have any of them currently installed on your devices.

DALL·E 2022-08-01 17.58.15 - Scary looking demons popping out of a smartphone, digital art.png
Make sure your device doesn't have any of these apps installed on it. Source: OpenAI

It's believed that the apps have collectively infected more than 10 million devices around the world. Just one of the apps, Neon Theme Keyboard, has been downloaded over a million times.

The specific type of malware varies on an app-by-app basis. Some of the offending apps are a subtype of malware known as ‘Adware’. These tend to work by having hidden web browsers running in the background constantly refreshing various pages full of ads. They don’t typically harvest personal information but will drain your data and battery much faster than normal.

Another subset of malware found in some of the apps above is known as ‘Joker malware’. This type subscribes unwitting users to various premium subscriptions without their knowledge.

Finally, one of the types of malware is designed to harvest personal information from your device, allowing hackers to break into your Facebook account and commit identity theft.

The good news is that there are steps you can take to protect yourself.

First and foremost, you should check to see if any of the apps you have installed on your device are affected.

A full list of the affected apps can be found below:

Photo Editor: Beauty Filter
Photo Editor: Retouch & Cutout
Photo Editor: Art Filters
Photo Editor - Design Maker
Photo Editor & Background Eraser
Photo & Exif Editor
Photo Editor - Filters Effects
Photo Filters & Effects
Photo Editor: Blur Image
Photo Editor: Cut, Paste
Emoji Keyboard: Stickers & GIF
Neon Theme Keyboard
Neon Theme - Android Keyboard
Cache Cleaner
FastCleaner: Cache Cleaner
Call Skins - Caller Themes
Funny Caller
CallMe Phone Themes
InCall: Contact Background
MyCall - Call Personalisation
Caller Theme
Caller Theme
Funny Wallpapers - Live Screen
4K Wallpapers Auto Changer
NewScrean: 4D Wallpapers
Stock Wallpapers & Backgrounds
Notes - reminders and lists

If you do have any of these apps installed on your device, you should delete them immediately. Be sure to carefully check any credit card statements to make sure you’re not being charged for bogus subscription services.

Here are a few additional steps you can take to improve your chances of keeping your device clear of malware:

1. Ensure that Google Play Protect is turned on. This is a service that runs in the background, scanning apps for malware.

2. Only download apps from trusted sources. The best bet is to stick to the official Google Play Store.

3. Be careful what you click on. Avoid clicking on links in emails or texts unless you’re absolutely sure they’re legitimate.

4. Keep your security software up to date. This includes your antivirus software as well as your device's operating system.

Members, we encourage you to check your devices for the above apps immediately. Even if you downloaded the app years ago and only used it once, if it's still on your phone it may be able to cause harm.

Last edited:
Sometimes there's an up side of being technology deficient!! I don't think I've downloaded any apps for my phone, my son put the covid one on there but that's all.:)
I Love the "technology deficient" description, my Niece refers to me as her "Amish Aunt", I think your description is a lot kinder and will use that one in my next appeal for help, I know there will be one or more of those appeals in the future!!

I Love the "technology deficient" description, my Niece refers to me as her "Amish Aunt", I think your description is a lot kinder and will use that one in my next appeal for help, I know there will be one or more of those appeals in the future!!
I think "Amish aunt" might be a bit too deep for some people without some background searching. Great term, though.

worst ever app to download would have to have been the WA improved app for State govt to keep WAS Safe - the Safe WA app was bad enough, but even the Police would not use its successor and too many loopholea allowing other entitites to used the collected data

• Wow
Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci
worst ever app to download would have to have been the WA improved app for State govt to keep WAS Safe - the Safe WA app was bad enough, but even the Police would not use its successor and too many loopholea allowing other entitites to used the collected data
Do not even get me started on the grief that app caused, impossible to supply the information that was needed to get it, only an Australian birth certificate or a current passport would be accepted, WTF, the concept of the App was dreamed up by IT Nerds who apparently have no clue that over 40% of the Australian population were born overseas, so an Australian birth certificate was impossible to supply. It would not work with Android phones and what about citizens who do not even own a smart phone, so many elderly citizens panicking because they did not understand what to do or even how to. frustrated Gov Departments trying to help them and not able to, I do not know of anyone over 70 years of age who managed to get that app downloaded and working. HUGE waste of money for the state and where is it now, Gone and no longer used. Not that I ever did (use it)

• Sad
Reactions: Ezzy, Liz and Ricci
Gates the inventor of viruses, then invents cures, anti virus, and makes billions, he can't take it with him, and I don't think he's long for this world.

I have been debited for a nights' accommodation by Booking.com which I did not purchase. or use. What recourse do I have?

Reactions: Ezzy
I looked at the permissions and said "Not on your Nellie!" I've got a geriatric Hewlett Packard Windows 10 phone that I absolutely love and it also gave me a handy excuse not to have the Safe WA app (or any other app) installed.
But are you aware that government departments such as Services Australia (Centrelink, Medicare and the Child Support Agency) sell our data? https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/statistical-information-and-data?context=1

I think "Amish aunt" might be a bit too deep for some people without some background searching. Great term, though.
Even certain groups of Amish people have mobile phones, apparently.

These apps are a big worry when you don't know what they contain.

Reactions: Ricci
I looked at the permissions and said "Not on your Nellie!" I've got a geriatric Hewlett Packard Windows 10 phone that I absolutely love and it also gave me a handy excuse not to have the Safe WA app (or any other app) installed.
But are you aware that government departments such as Services Australia (Centrelink, Medicare and the Child Support Agency) sell our data? https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/statistical-information-and-data?context=1
No l didn't, thankyou.

Reactions: Ricci