Michigan judge receives backlash after brutally shaming 72-year-old cancer patient for not tending his lawn

Viral footage of a Michigan judge berating a 72-year-old cancer patient for failing to maintain his yard has surfaced online, sparking outrage from people on social media.

ZCkth0QGqHnPN_w2NxvD-X0DvAItWhO4JOvqH7DqxvV0Rbt2JQghsBLN4YTVsqRQ10hs93eI_zY5oVvidMT-Ey9eOhUhmHrb4IQGBjsrhk5bUfA7kB1d_Q90JXkFNyfjqvZL0NVZ

Judge Alexis G. Krot ridicules a 72-year-old cancer patient because he was too weak to tend to his lawn. Credit: 31st District Court Hamtramck.

Burhan Chowdhury from Hamtramck admitted that he fell behind on keeping his property in good shape because he was ‘very weak’ from his cancer treatments after being diagnosed with lymphoma in 2019.

The unkempt grass which has overtaken the yard prompted local officials to subpoena Mr Chowdhury.

During a state court appearance over Zoom on Monday, District Judge Alexis G. Krot showed no sympathy for the 72-year-old man.

“You should be ashamed of yourself!” said the judge, and added: “If I could give you jail time on this, I would.”

Then she proceeded to fine him $100 for the eyesore and told him to “get that cleaned up”.

Mr Chowdhury’s 33-year-old son, Shibbir, also appeared at the hearing and spoke on his father’s behalf. He expressed how the cancer treatments left his dad very weak and unable to tend to his lawn.

Shibbir has been helping his father around the house ever since he got sick. But three months prior to the local report, he was in Bangladesh and was not around to help his father with the yard.

When he returned, Mr Chowdhury told him they had received a ticket for “failing to keep the fence, walkway, sidewalk or alley free of trees, leaves, and other items”.

The family went and cleaned the property soon after, but Mr Chowdhury still had to appear before a court to determine whether he should pay the fine.

“Do you see that photo? That is shameful. Shameful,” the judge shot back. “The neighbours should not have to look at that.”

kbM5Cr_rXr8Uw-3F6YiU9hTLGZqVKb6nCBS2RcTq_-KHniY-Yk-QQeH77LqI1nXWQ_8cp2BWnvhpk3TsBmcm62dPoaeHaxAcupJQi1bFtEV3q_PkkyOPcSq5YL75dHj-KW85dxza

Burhan Chowdhury’s property was left unattended for months. Credit: 31st District Court Hamtramck.

Even though Shibbir and his family had acknowledged their ‘mistakes’ and paid the fine on Wednesday, he expressed that he was still ‘shocked’ by the judge’s response to the incident.

“I didn’t expect her to yell at us in this kind of a situation,” he said.

“She was telling my father, a sick person, that he should go to jail. That’s ridiculous. You can’t give a 72-year-old person jail time for not cleaning an alley.”

“People understand that a situation like this can happen with someone who is old or sick,” he added. “I’m really thankful to those in our city who have supported us and let us know that they’re beside us.”

Since Tuesday, thousands of people on social media have rallied behind the Chowdhury family against Judge Krot, with many signing an online petition to remove her from her seat, accusing her of being a “bigot to immigrants”.

“The fact that the man kept apologising is heartbreaking,” wrote one person on Twitter.

Another person said, “She is completely out of line. I kept thinking she couldn’t have heard him, but she doubled down. That’s just inconsiderate and heartless.”

A third user wrote, “Krot should not be a Judge. Not only was she condescending, but I detected a whiff of racism in her tone as well. Her lack of balance and judicial temperament was striking….”

News outlets reported that Judge Krot has not returned requests for comment about the case footage and the petition.

If you want to see this horrific behaviour for yourself, click here.

Sponsored
Judge, shame on you.
How insensitive are you? What made you become so unfeeling? What good would putting him in jail do? Of no use at all, he isn't a criminal.
Poor man, struggling with the illness which has diabolical effects on the body, and the treatment is horrendous.
He is struggling +++, and needs a hand up, not chastisement. Community, get behind him physically and emotionally. Get him through this.

What is really sad is...the neighbours could spend time complaining about his front garden but didn't bother speaking to him and on discovering his illness, club together and clean it all up for him!! The judge is supposed to hear all evidence...where was their sympathy for someone's poor health, he needs to go around and mow his lawn for a couple of weeks too!!!

What is really sad is...the neighbours could spend time complaining about his front garden but didn't bother speaking to him and on discovering his illness, club together and clean it all up for him!! The judge is supposed to hear all evidence...where was their sympathy for someone's poor health, he needs to go around and mow his lawn for a couple of weeks too!!!
Exactly what I was thinking. Pretty heartless of all of them too

I’ve got just one word to say ter ya Kimmeee: KARMA!!!

On a more serious note though, perhaps the bloody neighbours should have channelled all the energy they put into whining and reporting a sick old man, into giving him a hand. What is wrong with people?!

yes she shouldn't have behaved that way but then the people that reported that the grass was unkept should feel ashamed to what was wrong
with them giving a helping hand to clean it up isn't that what you do for your neighbor's do in a time like that I'm sure the man would returne the good deed when and if he could

Michigan judge receives backlash after brutally shaming 72-year-old cancer patient for not tending his lawn

Viral footage of a Michigan judge berating a 72-year-old cancer patient for failing to maintain his yard has surfaced online, sparking outrage from people on social media.

ZCkth0QGqHnPN_w2NxvD-X0DvAItWhO4JOvqH7DqxvV0Rbt2JQghsBLN4YTVsqRQ10hs93eI_zY5oVvidMT-Ey9eOhUhmHrb4IQGBjsrhk5bUfA7kB1d_Q90JXkFNyfjqvZL0NVZ

Judge Alexis G. Krot ridicules a 72-year-old cancer patient because he was too weak to tend to his lawn. Credit: 31st District Court Hamtramck.

Burhan Chowdhury from Hamtramck admitted that he fell behind on keeping his property in good shape because he was ‘very weak’ from his cancer treatments after being diagnosed with lymphoma in 2019.

The unkempt grass which has overtaken the yard prompted local officials to subpoena Mr Chowdhury.

During a state court appearance over Zoom on Monday, District Judge Alexis G. Krot showed no sympathy for the 72-year-old man.

“You should be ashamed of yourself!” said the judge, and added: “If I could give you jail time on this, I would.”

Then she proceeded to fine him $100 for the eyesore and told him to “get that cleaned up”.

Mr Chowdhury’s 33-year-old son, Shibbir, also appeared at the hearing and spoke on his father’s behalf. He expressed how the cancer treatments left his dad very weak and unable to tend to his lawn.

Shibbir has been helping his father around the house ever since he got sick. But three months prior to the local report, he was in Bangladesh and was not around to help his father with the yard.

When he returned, Mr Chowdhury told him they had received a ticket for “failing to keep the fence, walkway, sidewalk or alley free of trees, leaves, and other items”.

The family went and cleaned the property soon after, but Mr Chowdhury still had to appear before a court to determine whether he should pay the fine.

“Do you see that photo? That is shameful. Shameful,” the judge shot back. “The neighbours should not have to look at that.”

kbM5Cr_rXr8Uw-3F6YiU9hTLGZqVKb6nCBS2RcTq_-KHniY-Yk-QQeH77LqI1nXWQ_8cp2BWnvhpk3TsBmcm62dPoaeHaxAcupJQi1bFtEV3q_PkkyOPcSq5YL75dHj-KW85dxza

Burhan Chowdhury’s property was left unattended for months. Credit: 31st District Court Hamtramck.

Even though Shibbir and his family had acknowledged their ‘mistakes’ and paid the fine on Wednesday, he expressed that he was still ‘shocked’ by the judge’s response to the incident.

“I didn’t expect her to yell at us in this kind of a situation,” he said.

“She was telling my father, a sick person, that he should go to jail. That’s ridiculous. You can’t give a 72-year-old person jail time for not cleaning an alley.”

“People understand that a situation like this can happen with someone who is old or sick,” he added. “I’m really thankful to those in our city who have supported us and let us know that they’re beside us.”

Since Tuesday, thousands of people on social media have rallied behind the Chowdhury family against Judge Krot, with many signing an online petition to remove her from her seat, accusing her of being a “bigot to immigrants”.

“The fact that the man kept apologising is heartbreaking,” wrote one person on Twitter.

Another person said, “She is completely out of line. I kept thinking she couldn’t have heard him, but she doubled down. That’s just inconsiderate and heartless.”

A third user wrote, “Krot should not be a Judge. Not only was she condescending, but I detected a whiff of racism in her tone as well. Her lack of balance and judicial temperament was striking….”

News outlets reported that Judge Krot has not returned requests for comment about the case footage and the petition.

If you want to see this horrific behaviour for yourself, click here.

Reactions: UnitedKingdom
This Judge should hang up her wig now.!! The local council could attend to this situation. People today are so selfish, and uncharitable. The Judge should pay that fine if she had a conscience at all. What a Croc...

Reactions: UnitedKingdom