Member Spotlight: Fighting isolation one joke at a time with @Skipton

Members, today we have something extra special for you. You’ve likely seen his name on the forum and in countless newsletters; he’s the man behind your daily laughs and has cracked the SDC team up more times than we can count.

Introducing, member @Skipton! If you’ve ever wondered about the person behind the screen, now is your chance for an exclusive peek behind the curtains of member @Skipton’s commitment to making the world a more cheerful place.

‘People often wonder where I get all the jokes from that I post on the Seniors Discount Club every day,’ he said.

‘I joined our local Probus Club in Western Australia approximately 13 years ago and have actively taken on many roles associated with the club. When COVID-19 commenced, many people, particularly the elderly, were isolated, so I commenced a daily joke column that I sent out an email to about 180 members and friends. No one had any idea that the virus would last so long, so here it is three and a half years later, and I’m still pushing out a daily joke or two.’

shutterstock_1446539102 (1).jpg
Introducing member @Skipton! Image Credit: Shutterstock

‘Once I joined the Seniors Discount Club, I realised that many of the jokes that I had been sending out to our Probus friends were still on record, and it was a good way to share the laughs with a much wider audience, who no doubt are still enjoying them showing by the 13,000 plus responses the “Skipton” account has received. There have now been more than 2,500 jokes posted on my account, and many Seniors Discount Club members follow me each day; this keeps me motivated. My wife used to check out the site each day and alerted me to the great number of jokes that were being published each day.’

‘As far as the “Skipton” moniker goes, I was born in the November of 1941 when “Skipton” won the Melbourne Cup, and my father must have had a big win because the name has kind of stuck with me for more than 80 years.’

‘I thoroughly enjoy the Seniors Discount Club site and appreciate the wonderful advice and interesting articles posted each day.’

‘I enjoy the Seniors Discount Club every day as a must-read and find so much of interest that you can find nowhere else on the internet, all tied up in every daily post.’

‘I can assure you I have a lot more funnies up my sleeve and look forward to posting new stuff each day and enjoying the many other jokesters who, like me, enjoy spreading the humour and even giving ourselves a good laugh every day.’

‘I am retired now after working until my mid-seventies and keep myself busy with a variety of charities and recycling projects.’

‘I like to keep busy and advise all our “Seniors” members to make every day count. There are many things I look back on in my life that’s been filled with many great memories, lots of world travel, great jobs and some interesting characters that I’ve met along the way. I’ve written a biography for a well-known Fremantle identity, met The Beatles and hosted a party for US icon newsman Walter Cronkite during the 1987 “America’s Cup”. Too many wonderful memories and people to mention. It’s been a great ride, and hopefully, there are still a few more hills to climb.’

I’m sure I speak for everyone when I say, thank you for all the laughs member @Skipton. Here’s to many more in the future!

Now, members, do you have any jokes to share with one of most active SDC jokesters? Let’s give some cheer back to member @Skipton in the comments below.

Sponsored
I am speechless @Skipton, I hate to say it, but you have me tearing up at my desk (and I'm not usually one to cry!) Thank you so much for your beautiful words. Your jokes have always been something I personally look forward to and I am still in awe of how many you have posted! I'd be lying if I haven't read a few of the cheekier ones out loud in the office to get the whole team laughing...

Although I must admit, sounds like we could write an article touching on these few facts: met The Beatles and hosted a party for US icon newsman Walter Cronkite during the 1987 “America’s Cup” :ROFLMAO: Now both of these must have been cool!

Thank you for sharing this with us. We love our Member Spotlights and hope to be doing them far more often :)

Members, today we have something extra special for you. You’ve likely seen his name on the forum and in countless newsletters; he’s the man behind your daily laughs and has cracked the SDC team up more times than we can count.

Introducing, member @Skipton! If you’ve ever wondered about the person behind the screen, now is your chance for an exclusive peek behind the curtains of member @Skipton’s commitment to making the world a more cheerful place.

‘People often wonder where I get all the jokes from that I post on the Seniors Discount Club every day,’ he said.

‘I joined our local Probus Club in Western Australia approximately 13 years ago and have actively taken on many roles associated with the club. When COVID-19 commenced, many people, particularly the elderly, were isolated, so I commenced a daily joke column that I sent out an email to about 180 members and friends. No one had any idea that the virus would last so long, so here it is three and a half years later, and I’m still pushing out a daily joke or two.’

View attachment 25989

‘Once I joined the Seniors Discount Club, I realised that many of the jokes that I had been sending out to our Probus friends were still on record, and it was a good way to share the laughs with a much wider audience, who no doubt are still enjoying them showing by the 13,000 plus responses the “Skipton” account has received. There have now been more than 2,500 jokes posted on my account, and many Seniors Discount Club members follow me each day; this keeps me motivated. My wife used to check out the site each day and alerted me to the great number of jokes that were being published each day.’

‘As far as the “Skipton” moniker goes, I was born in the November of 1941 when “Skipton” won the Melbourne Cup, and my father must have had a big win because the name has kind of stuck with me for more than 80 years.’

‘I thoroughly enjoy the Seniors Discount Club site and appreciate the wonderful advice and interesting articles posted each day.’

‘I enjoy the Seniors Discount Club every day as a must-read and find so much of interest that you can find nowhere else on the internet, all tied up in every daily post.’

‘I can assure you I have a lot more funnies up my sleeve and look forward to posting new stuff each day and enjoying the many other jokesters who, like me, enjoy spreading the humour and even giving ourselves a good laugh every day.’

‘I am retired now after working until my mid-seventies and keep myself busy with a variety of charities and recycling projects.’

‘I like to keep busy and advise all our “Seniors” members to make every day count. There are many things I look back on in my life that’s been filled with many great memories, lots of world travel, great jobs and some interesting characters that I’ve met along the way. I’ve written a biography for a well-known Fremantle identity, met The Beatles and hosted a party for US icon newsman Walter Cronkite during the 1987 “America’s Cup”. Too many wonderful memories and people to mention. It’s been a great ride, and hopefully, there are still a few more hills to climb.’

I’m sure I speak for everyone when I say, thank you for all the laughs member @Skipton. Here’s to many more in the future!

Now, members, do you have any jokes to share with one of most active SDC jokesters? Let’s give some cheer back to member @Skipton in the comments below.
Thank you April, I'm glad that so many people have enjoyed my posts. It looks like Covid isn't going away so it looks like I'll be posting for a few more months yet. I appreciate SDC's acknowledgement. Skipton.

View attachment 25989

Well done champ keep the laughs coming well done 👍👍👍👍👍👍🙃

Thank you April, I'm glad that so many people have enjoyed my posts. It looks like Covid isn't going away so it looks like I'll be posting for a few more months yet. I appreciate SDC's acknowledgement. Skipton.
WTG Skipton! I think it's hilarious that you are named after a horse... I'm assuming the butt part is included too...?
'Brother in arms', thank you for all the laughs, keep it up.
As they always say...

1692486213799.png

View attachment 25989

As long as they are not jokes about putting wives down. I lived in a situation where my husband thought it was funny to put me down using the normal wifey jokes. After 25 years it was just too much so I had to leave for my health.

View attachment 25989

Keep them coming Skipton, Owing to my age I have heard many of them before in different Scenarios, a laugh a day keeps the Jeebies Away, I have 3001 puns to work from.

View attachment 25989

View attachment 25989

What a great gentleman you are, I am glad you have had a great life!
Thank you 🥳

View attachment 25989

My senior relatives really annoy me because at every wedding we go to they say you'll be next . So I get my own back at funerals by say you'll be next