Member @Iggydi’s thoughts on the Valentine's Day hype & budget-friendly ideas

Note from the Editor:
This article was written by the wonderful member @Iggydi.

I will most probably get bagged or rubbished over this post, but I am good with that. This is just my thoughts on this particular day. I don’t expect everyone to agree, but just thinking about it and sometimes putting it out there makes others think, too. It also helps people who want to do something but, because of the media hype, think they need to spend $$$$$.

Who and what does it represent? Is it something we should be celebrating, or is it just a money grab from the retail industry?

The ‘who’ – Lovers
Young, old, new relationships, newly married, oldies that want to keep the spark alive, etc.

What does it represent?
Couples that want to celebrate their love for one another.

Someone who has ‘a thing’ for another person and wants to take it further or to secretly send a card/gift to the other person.

Is it something we should be celebrating, or is it just a money grab from the retail industry?

shutterstock_2116648712 (1).jpg
Do you celebrate Valentine’s Day? Image Credit: Shutterstock

It seems these days if you don’t buy your loved one jewellery, cars, electrical items, etc., you don’t love them. This also goes for Christmas, Mother’s Day and more recently, Father’s Day (as the poor dads were basically forgotten prior to a few years ago).

Does it prove that you love your significant other? What about the other 364/5 days of the year?

Some people celebrate it every year, which is very romantic, but they also do things throughout the year to show their partner they love them. So, does this make Valentine’s Day null and void?

What about the people who are single, just broke up with their partner or those who have lost the love of their lives? How does celebrating a day that’s meant for lovers affect them?

There are so many times when one can get a bit blasé about these special days. Or they could get overwhelmed with stress, not knowing if what they are doing is what is expected. Not getting a gift that the media suggests the other person needs/expects. This is not what the day is about, but this is how the TV, magazines, and the internet make us feel.

Surely, there are simpler ways to tell or show your loved one that you care. Ways that make the day special for you and your loved one without the guilt, the expense and the stress.

Some people will most probably have their own way of spending Valentine’s Day with their partner/lover, and some people will just go about their day as usual. However you choose to spend it, just remember you do what you feel is right, not what the media is telling you.

Some of these suggestions below are free or budget-friendly, and some do cost some money, but it’s up to you if you think that the money is well spent.

Last edited:
Sponsored
I agree....Valentines Day is more a gimmick for the shops ! No-one needs to spend a lot of money, sending a card or cooking something nice means more than an expensive gift. Especially now when so many people are doing it tough 🤔

Valentines Day wasn’t really celebrated when I was younger so I agree that it’s totally overdone. My husband usually buys me a red rose or some chocolates for us to share but if he doesn’t that’s fine as well. I did send my son a reminder as he has a new girlfriend & he replied that she doesn’t celebrate it so he’s going to follow his dad’s example & get her a rose & some chocolates. I think that every celebration day is totally overdone, retailers obviously live in a fantasy world & think we’re all millionaires. Expensive gifts don’t mean that you truly cherish your partner or relatives.

I have no time for any American special days.
No interest in Halloween. Don't care about these so called special days.
As far as Valentine's day goes....pfffff
If my hubby bought me something for that day, I would think he had an emotional implosion.
I am sceptical about any day like this because as has been said on the other messages, it is all about sales, sales, sales. The shops don't care two cents about love.

After 30 years marriage, we find it best just to stay home, have a glass of wine and a homemade curry, watch something together, then finishing with a little nooky is celebration plenty !
Going out is so overrated! I usually look at the menu & think I could do better 🤣. We’ve had just over 50 years together & still going strong.

When my husband and I were working we used to go out every Thursday night. One year it was Valentines Day and we didn't even realise it. The place we went to had a special menu at an unbelievable price. So we left and just got take away. We never went to flash restaurants just clubs, pubs, Chinese and any little restaurant that was at Raby Bay. Cleveland Qld.

Ridiculous the money spent on a day cooked up by the Americans. Prob ok then but big business got their foot in the door. Look at the ads they advertise gifts way above what most people can afford. Same at Christmas!

Unfortunately we had to bury my mum on 14 February. Our family had to buy flowers for on the coffin at the most ridiculous prices just because of the date. So no celebration for me, but luckily I have someone who makes me breakfast every morning.

Unfortunately we had to bury my mum on 14 February. Our family had to buy flowers for on the coffin at the most ridiculous prices just because of the date. So no celebration for me, but luckily I have someone who makes me breakfast every morning.
So sorry for your loss Marni.
It's sad that saying goodbye was made light of when competing against a market manufactured day.
My heart goes out to you and bless your breakfast cook for being there with you.

Reactions: Iggydi and PattiB