Melbourne chef shares ‘life-changing’ aluminium foil hack

Everyone probably has a few rolls of aluminium foil sitting in their cupboards; these silvery sheets are so versatile and can be used for several other things besides just packing food. In fact, there are hundreds of recipes out there that require using them, especially those that involve ovens and air fryers.

However, one widely-known drawback when using the product is that they tend to ‘spiral’ or leave behind uneven layers whenever some parts stick too much to the roll. This leaves us to unpeel the leftover layers, which tends to be a time-consuming hassle.

Thankfully, one chef is here to share his trick to get rid of aluminium foil spiral woes forever!

2bxeReTZCWRwilJOto7p_LDiCuAxQw7AW1CZx1RQ5UWn_R2FjZ-svKr5UMWwz0tzulXRCwlMXPYgINXdXuWc2zr7fwmg_p6aw2mN_9qbp7Y32a14ZkRJ7eRhEiKazWkXMO1puRge

A top chef has revealed an alfoil hack that will solve one of the most frustrating problems with the product. Credit: TikTok/@robbiebell8.
British-born chef Robbie Bell has taken to TikTok to demonstrate a kitchen hack that solves the all-too-common spiral foil problem.

Robbie, the owner and head charcutier at City Larder in Melbourne, also thanked his chef friend and “brother”, Shaun Hurrell, for teaching him the “one of the best kitchen hacks” he has ever known.

Here’s how he did it.

Instead of trying to scrape off and unpeel the ‘spirals’ one by one, all you have to do is scrunch a small section of foil into a ball, then use that ball to scratch the leftover layers sideways. You’ll be surprised at how easily they come off the roll.

“Just unroll the tin foil as if it’s brand new,” said Robbie, followed by a “You’re welcome.”

Amazingly, the video managed to gain over 2.6 million views in just a span of one day since Robbie posted it!

Looks like a whole lot of people are grateful for that hack, huh? One person thanked Robbie for the hack, and even added that foil spirals are “literally the bane of his existence”.

Another person wrote that they have “suffered for years” and they wished they had known this trick sooner.

Others also admitted that they usually just give up trying to fix the spiralled layers and would just simply throw the whole damaged roll away. “I’m now so relieved I don’t have to chuck it away anymore,” said one user.

What a game-changer! We suffer from this problem too so this is a huge help, thanks Robbie!

Do you have more alfoil hacks? Share them with us in the comments!

Sponsored

Everyone probably has a few rolls of aluminium foil sitting in their cupboards; these silvery sheets are so versatile and can be used for several other things besides just packing food. In fact, there are hundreds of recipes out there that require using them, especially those that involve ovens and air fryers.

However, one widely-known drawback when using the product is that they tend to ‘spiral’ or leave behind uneven layers whenever some parts stick too much to the roll. This leaves us to unpeel the leftover layers, which tends to be a time-consuming hassle.

Thankfully, one chef is here to share his trick to get rid of aluminium foil spiral woes forever!

2bxeReTZCWRwilJOto7p_LDiCuAxQw7AW1CZx1RQ5UWn_R2FjZ-svKr5UMWwz0tzulXRCwlMXPYgINXdXuWc2zr7fwmg_p6aw2mN_9qbp7Y32a14ZkRJ7eRhEiKazWkXMO1puRge

A top chef has revealed an alfoil hack that will solve one of the most frustrating problems with the product. Credit: TikTok/@robbiebell8.
British-born chef Robbie Bell has taken to TikTok to demonstrate a kitchen hack that solves the all-too-common spiral foil problem.

Robbie, the owner and head charcutier at City Larder in Melbourne, also thanked his chef friend and “brother”, Shaun Hurrell, for teaching him the “one of the best kitchen hacks” he has ever known.

Here’s how he did it.

Instead of trying to scrape off and unpeel the ‘spirals’ one by one, all you have to do is scrunch a small section of foil into a ball, then use that ball to scratch the leftover layers sideways. You’ll be surprised at how easily they come off the roll.

“Just unroll the tin foil as if it’s brand new,” said Robbie, followed by a “You’re welcome.”

Amazingly, the video managed to gain over 2.6 million views in just a span of one day since Robbie posted it!

Looks like a whole lot of people are grateful for that hack, huh? One person thanked Robbie for the hack, and even added that foil spirals are “literally the bane of his existence”.

Another person wrote that they have “suffered for years” and they wished they had known this trick sooner.

Others also admitted that they usually just give up trying to fix the spiralled layers and would just simply throw the whole damaged roll away. “I’m now so relieved I don’t have to chuck it away anymore,” said one user.

What a game-changer! We suffer from this problem too so this is a huge help, thanks Robbie!

Please forgive my ignorance..what is spiralled layer?

Luckily I've never had this problem, maybe because I always unroll it slowly and change my hand hold mid unroll from near the top to near the bottom of the roll.

Reactions: Dot and JayKay
I do the same thing with a roll of sticky tape so I don't lose the end. Before you put the roll away just fold in a couple of centimetres at the end of the roll you will never have spirals again. If you have a lot of rolls in the drawer where you store your Alfoil just put a small piece of sticky tape on the end. No more spirals and the roll will never get spoiled again by coming loose in the drawer.

Here’s how he did it.

Frankly I have never had this problem and I buy all sorts of foil inexpensive and dearer ones...? this operator error.

Reactions: Ricci
I do the same thing with a roll of sticky tape so I don't lose the end. Before you put the roll away just fold in a couple of centimetres at the end of the roll you will never have spirals again. If you have a lot of rolls in the drawer where you store your Alfoil just put a small piece of sticky tape on the end. No more spirals and the roll will never get spoiled again by coming loose in the drawer.
I also use a bread tag.

Reactions: Ricci