Medical ID tags in Australia are getting a QR code update

Today, we're sharing an extraordinary innovation that is set to save lives and transform medical care in Australia.

For the first time in Australia, life-saving QR codes are being engraved on medical ID tags, including bracelets and necklaces.

Screen Shot 2023-08-04 at 3.12.23 pm.png
Medical IDs or tags play a vital role in emergencies by providing critical patient information to healthcare professionals, enabling them to make informed and timely decisions. Image by brett_jordan from unsplash.

This QR code won't lead you to the latest home recipe or the best bargain; it holds crucial patient information. A quick scan of the code will reveal detailed data that could be lifesaving.

Take it from Mustafa Kadir, whose past encounter with a severe allergic reaction to general anaesthetic turned into a frightening experience.

'After I had surgery performed in hospital, I woke up two days later, and little to my understanding, I was in a coma due to an allergic reaction.' Kadir said.

The new QR code service aims to prevent situations such as Kadir’s.

The process is simple. Subscribers to the service will receive their QR code for approximately $100 per year.

A quick scan of these QR codes reveals crucial patient information like allergies, vaccination history, and emergency contact details.

South Australian Health Minister, Chris Picton, mentioned. 'It's going to be great for patients but great for our ambulance service as well in ultimately providing the best possible patient care.’

This development brings a sigh of relief to health professionals as well.

As Keith Driscoll from SA Ambulance stated, 'Having the ability to go in and look at more than just a couple of words on a bracelet will help the patient get the right treatment in the right time.’

Screen Shot 2023-08-04 at 3.12.30 pm.png
Advancements in healthcare, such as the integration of life-saving QR codes on medical IDs, exemplify how innovative technologies can revolutionise patient care, improve response times, and ultimately save lives, underscoring the significance of ongoing progress in the medical field. Image by Tima Miroshnichenko from pexels

Chris Radbone from Medcalert said, 'We have had the question from paramedics and health care professionals how can we get access to information a lot faster.'

And here's the kicker—Kadir is one of the first Australians to use this state-of-the-art technology.

'It gives me assurance that no matter where I go, if I was to have an allergic reaction or if anything alarming happens to me, they could easily recognise me,' he said.

Key Takeaways
  • In an Australian-first, QR codes will now be added to medical ID tags such as bracelets and necklaces.
  • A quick QR code scan will reveal important patient information such as allergies, vaccination history, and emergency contact details.
  • This service will cost around $100 a year and is celebrated as a significant advancement in patient safety and emergency medical response efficiency.
  • Mustafa Kadir, who suffered a severe allergic reaction to a general anaesthetic, is one of the first Australians to utilise this new technology.

The integration of life-saving QR codes on Australian medical ID tags stands as a testament to the power of human ingenuity.

In the face of uncertainty, these simple yet crucial advancements have the potential to change lives and empower patients, healthcare providers, and emergency responders to act swiftly and decisively in critical moments.

As we envision a future where safety and convenience intertwine, let us never forget the profound difference that one small scan can make—a beacon of hope and protection that will forever shape the landscape of healthcare in Australia.

How do you feel about medical ID tags evolving to incorporate modern technology like QR codes? Do you think these can enhance the healthcare experience for patients and medical professionals?

Sponsored
I had a similar experience, I woke up in intensive care , in a coma after an anaphylactic reaction to general anaesthetic. I was told I died 3 times , 9 minutes, 11 minutes and 7 minutes
If I had it again I wont make it .

This is something I will definitely get .
This is my current bracelet

Screenshot_20230807_153427_Gallery.jpg

Mmm lets hope this doesn’t become another way people’s private details can be scammed and put on the black market.

Reactions: Jennylolo
My husband and I currently have Medilert, it cost us 52 each a year, if I have read this right they will now charge us 100 each to have a QR code if we want to do that. I believe that the information is already stored and a phone call will tell you all you need to know regarding what conditions you have and the medication you are on. It's up to you to make sure its updated.

Reactions: Jennylolo

Today, we're sharing an extraordinary innovation that is set to save lives and transform medical care in Australia.

For the first time in Australia, life-saving QR codes are being engraved on medical ID tags, including bracelets and necklaces.

View attachment 26699
Medical IDs or tags play a vital role in emergencies by providing critical patient information to healthcare professionals, enabling them to make informed and timely decisions. Image by brett_jordan from unsplash.

This QR code won't lead you to the latest home recipe or the best bargain; it holds crucial patient information. A quick scan of the code will reveal detailed data that could be lifesaving.

Take it from Mustafa Kadir, whose past encounter with a severe allergic reaction to general anaesthetic turned into a frightening experience.

'After I had surgery performed in hospital, I woke up two days later, and little to my understanding, I was in a coma due to an allergic reaction.' Kadir said.

The process is simple. Subscribers to the service will receive their QR code for approximately $100 per year.

A quick scan of these QR codes reveals crucial patient information like allergies, vaccination history, and emergency contact details.

South Australian Health Minister, Chris Picton, mentioned. 'It's going to be great for patients but great for our ambulance service as well in ultimately providing the best possible patient care.’

As Keith Driscoll from SA Ambulance stated, 'Having the ability to go in and look at more than just a couple of words on a bracelet will help the patient get the right treatment in the right time.’

View attachment 26700
Advancements in healthcare, such as the integration of life-saving QR codes on medical IDs, exemplify how innovative technologies can revolutionise patient care, improve response times, and ultimately save lives, underscoring the significance of ongoing progress in the medical field. Image by Tima Miroshnichenko from pexels

Chris Radbone from Medcalert said, 'We have had the question from paramedics and health care professionals how can we get access to information a lot faster.'

And here's the kicker—Kadir is one of the first Australians to use this state-of-the-art technology.

'It gives me assurance that no matter where I go, if I was to have an allergic reaction or if anything alarming happens to me, they could easily recognise me,' he said.

Key Takeaways

• In an Australian-first, QR codes will now be added to medical ID tags such as bracelets and necklaces.
  • A quick QR code scan will reveal important patient information such as allergies, vaccination history, and emergency contact details.
  • This service will cost around $100 a year and is celebrated as a significant advancement in patient safety and emergency medical response efficiency.
  • Mustafa Kadir, who suffered a severe allergic reaction to a general anaesthetic, is one of the first Australians to utilise this new technology.

The integration of life-saving QR codes on Australian medical ID tags stands as a testament to the power of human ingenuity.

In the face of uncertainty, these simple yet crucial advancements have the potential to change lives and empower patients, healthcare providers, and emergency responders to act swiftly and decisively in critical moments.

As we envision a future where safety and convenience intertwine, let us never forget the profound difference that one small scan can make—a beacon of hope and protection that will forever shape the landscape of healthcare in Australia.

How do you feel about medical ID tags evolving to incorporate modern technology like QR codes? Do you think these can enhance the healthcare experience for patients and medical professionals?
I think $100 per annum is way too expensive.

View attachment 26699

View attachment 26700

Key Takeaways

NO way Jose!!!!

My very first thought on reading this - we’ve all been able to scan QR codes especially during the CoVid pandemic and we did that on our mobile phones. No mention if these bracelets with the code ability will be ONLY ACCESSIBLE BY AMBULANCE, POLICE OR HOSPITALS and will not give access to anyone else. I am allergic to aspirin in any form but carry a list, at the moment in paper form in my mobile wallet, of all my regular medication and this allergy info is also available to emergency services if needed. But although that can be accessed by anyone and hopefully will be available if needed, I’m not sure about the QR code on a bracelet.

Perhaps we need more details on who can access it - is there some sort of security code involved for emergency services to access it? I’m pretty sure there will be, but that has not been mentioned in the above article.

And in response to Jest, is there any other information in these proposed new codes that will identify a persona’s address? If so, I’m wary of that BUT do not have anything to hide except to someone with an evil intent to perhaps ransack my home because they could access my address.

More, much more, information needed on the how, the who etc in relation to access.

• Haha
Reactions: Tipsy
My very first thought on reading this - we’ve all been able to scan QR codes especially during the CoVid pandemic and we did that on our mobile phones. No mention if these bracelets with the code ability will be ONLY ACCESSIBLE BY AMBULANCE, POLICE OR HOSPITALS and will not give access to anyone else. I am allergic to aspirin in any form but carry a list, at the moment in paper form in my mobile wallet, of all my regular medication and this allergy info is also available to emergency services if needed. But although that can be accessed by anyone and hopefully will be available if needed, I’m not sure about the QR code on a bracelet.

Perhaps we need more details on who can access it - is there some sort of security code involved for emergency services to access it? I’m pretty sure there will be, but that has not been mentioned in the above article.

And in response to Jest, is there any other information in these proposed new codes that will identify a persona’s address? If so, I’m wary of that BUT do not have anything to hide except to someone with an evil intent to perhaps ransack my home because they could access my address.

More, much more, information needed on the how, the who etc in relation to access.
I like your idea as I will not pay a cent to have one of those on my wrist

I thought it had been mentioned a long time ago that we could/should update our Medical details on the government site. Perhaps that should become more or less mandatory so that only Police, Ambulance, Fire & other emergency organisations have access to any situation that may be life threatening by giving them exclusive access to this history. That could include an address and next of kin phone contact as well, through some sort of immediate phone access.

No doubt there will be many that will start jumping down my throat about giving the government access to personal information in an emergency - these are my thoughts and if one has nothing to hide then I’m all for it. The government has access to so much of our details that we’re not aware of but there should be one dedicated site all emergency services can access when time is of the utmost essence. As we age we are putting ourselves in danger of not getting help when time is critical and I do not have a problem with the right organisations having the right access to my information.

Hi All, first this idea of using QR codes on Medical Alert tags, bracelets etc. is NOT NEW. A Qld company produced these tags & bracelets well before Covid hit, offering the ability to access medical information [ by emergency workers] via the QR code imprinted on the back. The information could only be input/changed by the owner of the tag via a password code set up when first bought. Unfortunately the company has since closed this service due to increasing costs. The company's name was QUOLL Medical, based in a North Brisbane suburb.

I thought it had been mentioned a long time ago that we could/should update our Medical details on the government site. Perhaps that should become more or less mandatory so that only Police, Ambulance, Fire & other emergency organisations have access to any situation that may be life threatening by giving them exclusive access to this history. That could include an address and next of kin phone contact as well, through some sort of immediate phone access.

No doubt there will be many that will start jumping down my throat about giving the government access to personal information in an emergency - these are my thoughts and if one has nothing to hide then I’m all for it. The government has access to so much of our details that we’re not aware of but there should be one dedicated site all emergency services can access when time is of the utmost essence. As we age we are putting ourselves in danger of not getting help when time is critical and I do not have a problem with the right organisations having the right access to my information.
1 update nothing and resist passing on my personal details to anyone. The government already knows far too much about me.