Measles on the move: Health department rings alarm at popular hotspots in this Aussie state!

In an age where we've grown accustomed to the convenience of fast food, bustling grocery stores, and the joy of toy shops, it's easy to forget that these places of comfort and necessity can sometimes become hotspots for health concerns.

This is a stark reminder for one Aussie state as the health department has issued a critical warning following the movements of an infectious person through several popular locations.

The situation prompted heightened vigilance among residents and visitors alike.

The Victoria Health Department issued another health warning on Tuesday, July 2, following an incident where a traveller, unknowingly carrying the measles virus, landed in Melbourne and visited a series of high-traffic venues along the Great Ocean Road.

The individual, who arrived from overseas on Tuesday, June 25, made stops at a Mcdonald's near the airport, toy shops, and grocery stores in Southwest Victoria.

This has become the 11th confirmed case of measles in the state this year, prompting health officials to act swiftly in alerting the public.

cdc-bkc-m0iZ4Sk-unsplash.jpg
Another urgent health warning was issued as a measles-infected person visited Victoria's high-traffic spots, including airport McDonald's. Credit: Unsplash

Measles is not a disease to be taken lightly. It's a highly infectious viral illness that can spread through person-to-person contact, via droplets, or through contact with contaminated surfaces.

The virus can linger in the environment for up to two hours, making it incredibly easy to contract in public spaces.

Though uncommon, complications from measles can be severe, leading to pneumonia and even brain inflammation.

The urgency of this warning cannot be overstated, especially for those born during or since 1966 who may not have received two doses of a measles-containing vaccine or do not have documented evidence of immunity.

Infants, who are often unvaccinated due to their age, are particularly vulnerable.

For those who may have been at the same locations as the traveler, vigilance is key.

Symptoms to watch for include fever, cough, sore or red eyes, a runny nose, and a general feeling of being unwell, which is typically followed by a distinctive red rash that starts on the face and spreads downward.

These symptoms can appear seven to 18 days after exposure, so it's crucial to monitor your health closely during this period.

The Victoria Department of Health issued the warning to ensure that those who may have been exposed take the necessary precautions.

The MMR vaccine, which protects against measles, mumps, and rubella, is the best defence against this disease.

In light of recent measles outbreaks reported globally, including in regions such as Asia, Africa, Europe, the Middle East, and the United States, it's more important than ever to ensure that you and your loved ones are vaccinated.

If you're unsure about your vaccination status or immunity, now is the time to consult with your healthcare provider.

compressed-Possible exposure sites, movements of the infected person.jpeg
Before the recent measles scare in Victoria, concerns over vaccination gaps resurfaced across Australia after a young boy contracted the disease following an overseas trip, highlighting potential vulnerabilities in public health measures.

The incident underscores the importance of vaccination programs in safeguarding community health against preventable diseases, prompting renewed calls for public awareness and immunisation diligence.
Key Takeaways

• An urgent health warning was issued after a person with measles visited several high-traffic locations in Victoria, including a McDonald's near the airport.
  • This is the 11th case of measles reported in Victoria this year, with potential exposure sites listed spanning from fast food outlets to toy stores and grocers.
  • The Victorian Department of Health advised anyone in the same locations as the infectious individual to monitor for symptoms for two weeks and to ensure they have been vaccinated with two doses of a measles-containing vaccine if born during or since 1966.
  • Measles is a highly infectious viral illness that can lead to serious complications, and symptoms include fever, cough, sore or red eyes, and a red rash starting on the face and spreading down the body.
To our readers, particularly those in the affected areas, please take this alert seriously. Check your vaccination records, be mindful of any developing symptoms, and seek medical advice if you believe you may have been exposed.

It's our collective responsibility to protect not only ourselves but also the most vulnerable among us from preventable diseases like measles. Stay informed, stay vigilant, and stay healthy.

Have you or someone you know been affected by measles before? What is your advice to others to protect themselves from contracting the disease? Share your experiences and suggestions in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
In 1985 - 86, there were 11331 REPORTED cases of measles in Australia. How many weren't reported? I contracted measles in about 1968 when every man and his pup had the disease.

What's all the fuss?
Very different story 40 years ago!
And every man and his pup definitely did not have the disease. None of my family or friends had and our dog certainly didn’t!
Back then vaccination wasn’t a big thing!

Ooh! Hello!!! Sliding doors? Interesting what might have been. Good job/outcome for…?

Gotta luv a good Celt.
Not sure if Boris makes the cut on that one.
Fancy him, a teacher of Latin at Timbertop. Musta had a good head ruffle by the same dropbear who accosted young Chas.

Exactly!
Scaremongering rubbish!

What a clown you are!
When have that many Australians ever had measles.
Did I say how many Australians had measles? No, twerp, I did not. I merely indicated that it would take 21 doublings , starting from 11 infections, to infect 24 million people. That, twerp, is a hypothetical. However, it does give an indication of how easy it is for a virus, such as the Covid-19 virus, to cause a fair size of a population to become infected; yes, it took 4 years, but.... And that is the type of thing assorted medical personnel think about, twerp, when it comes to giving warnings such as get published in SDC. The Covid-19 virus infected just under 12 million Australians according to the last figures I read some time ago. Good job it wasn't the measles virus as there is not enough calamine lotion in Australia for 12 million people and we would be running around being hot, sweaty and itchy.

Here is something to keep you amused, Monkeypox:

"The epidemic began in May 2022 in the country’s eastern Kwango province. However, it has since spread to 22 of DRC’s 26 provinces, including the capital, Kinshasa.

Transmission is still concentrated in the east, however, with a high spread recorded in Kamituga, a mining town in the eastern South Kivu province. Doctors have found a new strain of the virus in the town.

Since 2022, more than 21,000 cases have been reported with more than 1,000 deaths, according to the World Health Organisation (WHO). In 2023, a total of 14,626 cases and 654 deaths were recorded.

This year alone, 7,851 cases had been reported by the end of May, with 384 deaths. Many of those infected are children under five (39 percent). Close to two-thirds (62 percent) of those dying from the disease are also children."

That's Monkey-pox in the DR Congo. It seems that it is killing 1 in 22, approximately.

Did I say how many Australians had measles? No, twerp, I did not. I merely indicated that it would take 21 doublings , starting from 11 infections, to infect 24 million people. That, twerp, is a hypothetical. However, it does give an indication of how easy it is for a virus, such as the Covid-19 virus, to cause a fair size of a population to become infected; yes, it took 4 years, but.... And that is the type of thing assorted medical personnel think about, twerp, when it comes to giving warnings such as get published in SDC. The Covid-19 virus infected just under 12 million Australians according to the last figures I read some time ago. Good job it wasn't the measles virus as there is not enough calamine lotion in Australia for 12 million people and we would be running around being hot, sweaty and itchy.

"The epidemic began in May 2022 in the country’s eastern Kwango province. However, it has since spread to 22 of DRC’s 26 provinces, including the capital, Kinshasa.

Transmission is still concentrated in the east, however, with a high spread recorded in Kamituga, a mining town in the eastern South Kivu province. Doctors have found a new strain of the virus in the town.

Since 2022, more than 21,000 cases have been reported with more than 1,000 deaths, according to the World Health Organisation (WHO). In 2023, a total of 14,626 cases and 654 deaths were recorded.

This year alone, 7,851 cases had been reported by the end of May, with 384 deaths. Many of those infected are children under five (39 percent). Close to two-thirds (62 percent) of those dying from the disease are also children."

That's Monkey-pox in the DR Congo. It seems that it is killing 1 in 22, approximately.
I think I will call you Bozo (the clown)
24 Monkey Pox cases out of 6.9 million people.
Now that’s a Pandemic eh?

wow. I think I will call you Bozo (the clown).
24 cases of Monkey Pox out of 6.8 million people is definitely a Pandemic and worth of your bullshit and scaremongering!

There have now been 24 confirmed cases of mpox in Victoria since 18 April 2024. Twenty-one of these cases were locally acquired. Mpox continues to spread in many countries. In Victoria, there is an ongoing risk of local transmission and transmission linked to international travel remains.
1720516255894.png
https://www.health.vic.gov.au › cha...

I think I will call you Bozo (the clown)
24 Monkey Pox cases out of 6.9 million people.
Now that’s a Pandemic eh?

wow. I think I will call you Bozo (the clown).
24 cases of Monkey Pox out of 6.8 million people is definitely a Pandemic and worth of your bullshit and scaremongering!

There have now been 24 confirmed cases of mpox in Victoria since 18 April 2024. Twenty-one of these cases were locally acquired. Mpox continues to spread in many countries. In Victoria, there is an ongoing risk of local transmission and transmission linked to international travel remains.
View attachment 53248
https://www.health.vic.gov.au › cha...

Yes, Twerp. 3 original cases, 21 cases locally acquired, makes 24 which is 3 doublings from the original 3 infections. That has occurred in 62 days; that is a doubling time of 20 days from the original three infections

It is a good job that Australia has a more sophisticated health system than does the DR Congo and adjacent countries, and that a vaccine is available for Monkeypox of which there are three varieties.

Last edited: