Matt Doran's controversial interview leaves viewers horrified

Content warning: This story discusses child abuse, which some members may find distressing. Discretion is advised.

This week saw the widely-anticipated release of a new Netflix thriller, May December, starring Natalie Portman and Julianne Moore.

The release of the film has also brought a controversial interview conducted by Channel Seven's Matt Doran back into the spotlight, leaving viewers worldwide in shock.

The film, featuring Natalie Portman and Julianne Moore, is loosely based on the real-life story of Mary Kay Letourneau, a teacher who served six years in prison for the second-degree rape of her 12-year-old student, Vili Fualaau.

Mary Kay Letourneau's story is one that has been etched into the annals of American crime history.

SDC 1.png
Matt Doran’s controversial interview with Mary Kay Letourneau and Vili Fualaau has resurfaced. Image source: 7News.

She was a 34-year-old teacher when she began a sexual relationship with her 12-year-old student, Vili Fualaau.

Despite the controversy and legal repercussions, the couple eventually married and remained together until their separation in 2019.

Letourneau passed away at the age of 58 from colorectal cancer in 2020.

The film May December was announced in June 2021, and premiered at the 76th Cannes Film Festival.

It was released to the general public on November 17, 2023 and began streaming on Netflix on December 1, 2023. It will be released on Netflix in Australia on February 1, 2024.

In 2018, Matt Doran interviewed Mary and Vili for Sunday Night, a segment that appears to have inspired a scene in the movie.

During the interview, Mary attempted to justify her relationship with Vili, leading to a tense exchange that left viewers and Doran himself horrified.

SDC 2.png
Mary Kay Letourneau and Vili Fualaau sat down for an interview with Channel Seven’s Matt Doran. Image source: 7News.

'Who was the boss? Who was the boss? Who was the boss back then? Who was the boss back then? Who was? Just say,' Mary demanded of Doran.

Vili responded, 'This is ridiculous... this is getting weird,' to which Doran agreed, saying 'This is ridiculous.'

Vili eventually admitted, 'Well, I was the pursuer.'

May December follows actress Elizabeth Berry (Natalie Portman) who travels to Georgia to meet and study the life of sex offender-turned-baker Gracie Atherton-Yoo (Julianne Moore) to portray her more authentically in an indie film.

The character of Gracie is infamous for her 23-year-old relationship with her husband Joe (Charles Melton), whom she first met as a minor.

The film has received praise from viewers, particularly for Charles Melton's performance.

'It's the next morning after seeing May December (2023) and I can't get Charles Melton's performance out of my head. He's just so good and the film itself is a masterpiece,' one wrote on social media.

While another added: 'They don't make movies like May December anymore!'

'What Charles Melton does in May December is so special, he has to walk such a fine line between child and adult,' a third wrote.

'I've never been so excited to see where someone's career goes. he's not just a star in the making, but a really special kind of actor,' a fourth said.

Charles recently received the Gotham Award for Outstanding Supporting Performance for May December.
Key Takeaways
  • An interview by Channel Seven's Matt Doran with Mary Kay Letourneau and Vili Fualaau has resurfaced following the release of new Netflix drama, May December.
  • The film features Natalie Portman and Julianne Moore, and is inspired by the real life of Mary Kay Letourneau who was jailed for the second-degree rape of her 12-year-old student, Vili Fualaau.
  • The film, which was announced in June 2021 and premiered at the 76th Cannes Film Festival, follows an actress who researches the life of a convicted sex offender to authentically portray her in a film.
  • Charles Melton's performance in the film has been praised by viewers, with one viewer calling it a 'masterpiece'.
In conclusion, May December is more than just a film. It's a conversation starter, a societal mirror, and a stark reminder of a controversial real-life story.

As for Matt Doran's interview, it continues to serve as a chilling testament to the complexities and controversies surrounding the real-life story that inspired the film.

Members, what are your thoughts on this story? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
There should never have been a film made about what really amounted to sexual assault of a minor by a person who was supposed to be a responsible adult who should have known better. In today’s world of more open condemnation of such acts this can be seen as someone trying to glorify what was a criminal offence for financial benefit. People who watch this film obviously don’t have a problem with adults molesting kids.

Content warning: This story discusses child abuse, which some members may find distressing. Discretion is advised.

This week saw the widely-anticipated release of a new Netflix thriller, May December, starring Natalie Portman and Julianne Moore.

The release of the film has also brought a controversial interview conducted by Channel Seven's Matt Doran back into the spotlight, leaving viewers worldwide in shock.

The film, featuring Natalie Portman and Julianne Moore, is loosely based on the real-life story of Mary Kay Letourneau, a teacher who served six years in prison for the second-degree rape of her 12-year-old student, Vili Fualaau.

Mary Kay Letourneau's story is one that has been etched into the annals of American crime history.

View attachment 36735
Matt Doran’s controversial interview with Mary Kay Letourneau and Vili Fualaau has resurfaced. Image source: 7News.

She was a 34-year-old teacher when she began a sexual relationship with her 12-year-old student, Vili Fualaau.

Despite the controversy and legal repercussions, the couple eventually married and remained together until their separation in 2019.

Letourneau passed away at the age of 58 from colorectal cancer in 2020.

The film May December was announced in June 2021, and premiered at the 76th Cannes Film Festival.

It was released to the general public on November 17, 2023 and began streaming on Netflix on December 1, 2023. It will be released on Netflix in Australia on February 1, 2024.

In 2018, Matt Doran interviewed Mary and Vili for Sunday Night, a segment that appears to have inspired a scene in the movie.

During the interview, Mary attempted to justify her relationship with Vili, leading to a tense exchange that left viewers and Doran himself horrified.

View attachment 36736
Mary Kay Letourneau and Vili Fualaau sat down for an interview with Channel Seven’s Matt Doran. Image source: 7News.

'Who was the boss? Who was the boss? Who was the boss back then? Who was the boss back then? Who was? Just say,' Mary demanded of Doran.

Vili responded, 'This is ridiculous... this is getting weird,' to which Doran agreed, saying 'This is ridiculous.'

Vili eventually admitted, 'Well, I was the pursuer.'

May December follows actress Elizabeth Berry (Natalie Portman) who travels to Georgia to meet and study the life of sex offender-turned-baker Gracie Atherton-Yoo (Julianne Moore) to portray her more authentically in an indie film.

The character of Gracie is infamous for her 23-year-old relationship with her husband Joe (Charles Melton), whom she first met as a minor.

The film has received praise from viewers, particularly for Charles Melton's performance.

'It's the next morning after seeing May December (2023) and I can't get Charles Melton's performance out of my head. He's just so good and the film itself is a masterpiece,' one wrote on social media.

While another added: 'They don't make movies like May December anymore!'

'What Charles Melton does in May December is so special, he has to walk such a fine line between child and adult,' a third wrote.

'I've never been so excited to see where someone's career goes. he's not just a star in the making, but a really special kind of actor,' a fourth said.

Charles recently received the Gotham Award for Outstanding Supporting Performance for May December.
Key Takeaways

• An interview by Channel Seven's Matt Doran with Mary Kay Letourneau and Vili Fualaau has resurfaced following the release of new Netflix drama, May December.
  • The film features Natalie Portman and Julianne Moore, and is inspired by the real life of Mary Kay Letourneau who was jailed for the second-degree rape of her 12-year-old student, Vili Fualaau.
  • The film, which was announced in June 2021 and premiered at the 76th Cannes Film Festival, follows an actress who researches the life of a convicted sex offender to authentically portray her in a film.
  • Charles Melton's performance in the film has been praised by viewers, with one viewer calling it a 'masterpiece'.
In conclusion, May December is more than just a film. It's a conversation starter, a societal mirror, and a stark reminder of a controversial real-life story.

As for Matt Doran's interview, it continues to serve as a chilling testament to the complexities and controversies surrounding the real-life story that inspired the film.

Members, what are your thoughts on this story? Let us know in the comments below.
I watched the interview and I thought Matt did a fantastic job. For the life of me I cannot believe that anyone would think it’s ok to have an affair with a minor and essentially a teacher. If anyone who is meant to be trusted with my or my grandchildren!! I hate to think what I would be capable of doing. 🤬🤬