Massive fuel savings: Thousands slash gas bills with simple apps

In an era where every penny counts, South Australian motorists are turning to technology to ease the pinch at the pump.

With fuel prices soaring, the average driver is now pocketing an extra $315 annually, all thanks to the clever use of fuel monitoring apps.

These digital tools are revolutionising how we approach one of life's unavoidable expenses: refuelling our vehicles.

Despite the clear benefits, it's surprising that nearly half (47 per cent) of South Australia's drivers have yet to jump on the bandwagon, according to the RAA's latest fuel survey.

For those who have embraced this tech, the savings are substantial.

1720673061871.png
RAA survey: Fuel monitoring apps can save motorists $315 annually, but nearly half of South Australians don't use them. Credit: Shutterstock

Apps such as Petrol Spy, Motor Mouth, the RAA app, SA Bowser: Should I Fuel?, Fuel Price Australia, ServoTrack, and Pumped are leading the battle against rising fuel costs.

Imagine the collective sigh of relief from the 65,000 SA drivers using just the RAA app, who save a staggering $20 million each year together.

This figure, announced by the Malinauskas Government, highlighted the significant impact that these apps can have on the wallet.

‘They now spend more than $100 per month on fuel, compared to 36 per cent in 2021 — demonstrating how important the live fuel pricing is to help people find the cheapest option,’ the government announced.

‘Under the fuel pricing information scheme, fuel retailers are required to report their prices to a central database within 30 minutes of changing the price at the pump.’

The urgency to find the best fuel deals is underscored by the fact that the average price of unleaded petrol in Adelaide has skyrocketed to 192c per litre in 2024, a steep climb from 149c per litre in 2021.

Despite this, about 74 per cent of respondents in the RAA's survey reported buying more petrol than before, with many now spending over $100 monthly on fuel.

The government isn't taking non-compliance lightly, with service stations facing penalties of $649 and court fines up to $10,000, mainly if they've ignored previous warnings.

With more than 2800 inspections by Consumer and Business Services, 1921 complaints investigated, 356 warnings issued, and 58 expiation notices totalling over $31,900 in fines and levies, it's clear that the scheme is being enforced rigorously.

'Live fuel pricing has been a game changer for South Australians,' SA Minister for Consumer and Business Affairs Andrea Michaels said.

‘As they say, information is power — and we want to empower motorists so they can save money at the bowser.' RAA fuel expert Mark Borlace echoed.

In related news, fuel experts shared tips for finding the cheapest petrol prices, such as using price-monitoring apps.

Motorists can use apps and websites, such as the NRMA app or government fuel check sites, to access real-time petrol prices at local service stations. Read more here.
Key Takeaways
  • The RAA's latest fuel survey has found that using fuel monitoring apps can save the average motorist $315 annually, yet almost half of South Australian motorists need to utilise these resources.
  • Several apps are available for monitoring fuel prices, including Petrol Spy, Motor Mouth, the RAA app, and others, which have collectively saved SA drivers using the RAA app around $20 million a year.
  • The average price of unleaded petrol in Adelaide has risen significantly since 2021, but the introduction of live fuel pricing is helping consumers find the cheapest fuel options.
  • The South Australian government is enforcing compliance with the fuel pricing information scheme, which requires retailers to report changes within 30 minutes to a central database, with substantial fines for non-compliance.
Have you used any of these fuel-monitoring apps? What has your experience been like? Share your stories and tips in the comments below.

Reactions: Chicky and Ezzy
Sponsored
This App could well be helpful if you lived in a well populated area; not so helpful if you live in a small country town of 2,000 where choices of fuel is pretty much limited and travelling long distances to get these discounts is certainly not viable - unfortunately :( Defeats the purpose of the App in fact.

It all depends on how far away the cheaper fuel is from your residence.Is it worth going 10k[20k there and back to save 3c/litre? Add in the cost of fuel used to travel the distance and the time taken to do the round trip and it either cuts down the benefit or cancels it altogether.For me the saving has to be significant.In the region of 8-10c/litre and for half a tank at least.

It all depends on how far away the cheaper fuel is from your residence.Is it worth going 10k[20k there and back to save 3c/litre? Add in the cost of fuel used to travel the distance and the time taken to do the round trip and it either cuts down the benefit or cancels it altogether.For me the saving has to be significant.In the region of 8-10c/litre and for half a tank at least.
Exactly my point ......... unfortunately there are those who do not see it that way ....

Reactions: steamyjack
Ive been using the NSW Fuel Check app for years. I thought everyone did. It's the first thing i do with i need fuel. At times the fuel difference can be 40-50c p/l with the cheaper being only 5 or so km down the road, well worth the trip. Get yourself an app on your phone and use it. Perfect for competition

When travelling home last week between Midland and the York turnoff, I noticed that all the Caltex outlets were an exorbitant $2.19/litre, yet on reaching Sawyers Valley the Caltex there was $1.69.
What is going on, how can there be such a significant difference,50cents per litre???

On reaching my home town, a further 120 kms down the road, the price was $2.09 at the BP, still 10 cents cheaper.
Why do we have Fuel Watch
What do they watch, the prices going up. We can see that ourselves.
How can they explain away such rorting.

I live 50Km outside Townsville so check on Petrol Spy every time I go to town to find the cheapest. Sometimes it is better to use my 4c off at Woolies petrol, or my 4c off at RACQ linked petrol stations, but our local petrol station is way above those prices so I rarely use them unless I'm running out. Last week I checked Petrol Spy on the way to town, found the cheapest - and when I got there it had already gone up! Moral is: check it when I get there!!

I live 50Km outside Townsville so check on Petrol Spy every time I go to town to find the cheapest. Sometimes it is better to use my 4c off at Woolies petrol, or my 4c off at RACQ linked petrol stations, but our local petrol station is way above those prices so I rarely use them unless I'm running out. Last week I checked Petrol Spy on the way to town, found the cheapest - and when I got there it had already gone up! Moral is: check it when I get there!!
I was under the impression that the fuel price was supposed to be set for the day.
At least here in WA.
Maybe it's different in Qld.

:unsure: and now I wonder how many spend the few $ saved at each fuel stop by driving across town to get that "cheaper" fuel ;) . Or sillier still; buy stuff at the servo --- like bottled water that is available safe and free from the tap there (Yeah, OK taste is a small problem --- unless you are are western Qld where there is a lot of sulphur in the water. Now that water is so hard you need a big knife to cut a drink 😇)

‘They now spend more than $100 per month on fuel, compared to 36 per cent in 2021'

Now what on earth does that mean?