Man who was declared ‘dead’ for 90 minutes reveals if he saw the other side

What happens when we die is one of life’s great mysteries as there's no surefire way of finding out the answers to these questions... Unless, of course, you happen to come back from the dead. Well, that's exactly what happened to this man three years ago.

Alistair Blake was pronounced clinically dead after going into cardiac arrest while he was asleep. Somehow, against all odds, medics were able to resuscitate him and bring him back to life 90 minutes later.

Before that, it was a fairly normal day for Alistair Blake. He rode 45 kilometres on his bike and spent time with Melinda, his wife of 35 years, before hitting the hay.

But when the clock ticked at 3.10 am, Melinda was awakened by a horrifying sight – Alistair was having a medical episode.

‘She’s a light sleeper and woke to me gurgling,’ Alistair recalled. ‘She grabbed her mobile phone and dialled triple-0 to get a hold of the ambulance and they instructed her to take me off the bed to be able to do CPR.’

k9pYiTgZRVXYhHXBlY-knODgqyD5kalL1qMyrwYMLHXfd7ZMD2SAmOcwmbwm-9GsAU0s0Mq0s2vOwZyIDrEY6GsvYS5s4M-Nq4MQuGaEGLX8pY4_LFHxKurq4kl5tuNQBaoID7jXjGsI8sEA05nlPDHqAuQWdHz8dUlytcP9FxnpKziH7QIxEuOqMQ

Alistair Blake pictured with his wife, Melinda. Source: news.com.au

‘She performed CPR on me for about 20 minutes then the paramedics turned up. They also performed CPR on me before using the defibrillator. Apparently, it was something in excess of 10 to 12 times.’

Things didn’t look good for Alistair at the time. The police talked to Melinda in another room and told her that her husband’s chances of surviving were slim.

For 90 minutes, paramedics fought to restart Alistair’s heart. Just when they were about to give up, they miraculously found a pulse.

A week later, Alistair woke up at Frankston Hospital and showed no signs of a brain injury, earning him the nickname 'Lazarus', or the man who was raised from the dead.

Alistair told I’ve Got News For You that his memories of the medical episode and his time in the hospital were cloudy.

‘I remember going to bed on a Saturday night. The next thing I remember was waking up on a Thursday morning – on a trolley going from ICU to coronary care.’ he said. ‘My brain blocked out what happened in between.’

‘People always ask me if I saw anything… And no, I did not see anything.’ he said. ‘No bright lights, nothing like that whatsoever.’

3TBEF_W-apoyvSexhM4J52foG4NlEK46yIVeTcubqxu8hyK51X2V6LXatMU0mH3DwxAwIC9_BYLcb64KmeGHTiOok-KzXgs2X4hIJ-3fz8WobVjL75k5sfNIO2oh4edF7pp70oG8yH1f6mVyGooUZYdZT_h8y5jZGxBxRwCVSRg_SI_irl9_KzUmaw

Alistair was revived after 90 minutes. Source: DailyMail

Alistair is one of the many people who have detailed their near-death experiences. Although he didn’t see anything on the other side, plenty of other people claimed to have.

Among them is Dr Eben Alexandar, a brain surgeon and former sceptic, whose beliefs were completely renewed after his ‘life-changing’ experience during a coma. He claimed to have seen heaven with his own eyes.

‘What my coma journey showed me is that consciousness is something that is fundamental in the universe and does not originate in the brain. What I experienced was the most extraordinary, memorable, detailed, and ultra-real experience of my entire life.’ he said.

Another man who had a similar experience to Alistair was the late Kerry Packer.

The ex-Channel 9 owner was dead for eight minutes after suffering from a heart attack in 1990.

‘I’ve been on the other side and let me tell you – there’s nothing f***ing there.’ Packer famously said.

Medical experts believe that the reason why people have different near-death experiences is mainly due to the way the brain reacts when the oxygen supply is cut off.

Patrick Steele, a Palliative Care Consultant from Palliative Care South East, previously explained to I’ve Got News For You the scientific and spiritual reasons behind the mysterious white light.

‘From a spiritual perspective, some people believe that the bright light is a glimpse into the afterlife or a sign that consciousness is leaving the brain.’ he said.

‘From a psychologist’s perspective, some say it’s more of a defensive mechanism or a flashback to earlier memories. From a medical perspective – and the one that I adhere to most – is that it’s more of a change in how our body is functioning, particularly the brain.’

EVohpfGcsCNR8tQSEz2-roo-HwIn3mhTe46EYhbaMkT5mM-gDA6ri_BOxGPbD8pPUutUg_zesHEKNdLI3i3w_0opV1MrNq1u_IPvv2BOroPsG2jqrm_mVf-Au1pMldv5dyWpJBRcHLG7HLsrkvb1kGTsPZivXLRQHefMjGpjmSLB6SC06_OEG3Y3nQ

Patrick Steele explained why near-death experiences vary. Source: Clarin

‘The brain, as you know, needs a lot of oxygen and blood supply to do its job effectively. Whenever that oxygenation is cut off, the brain doesn’t act normally.’ he continued.

Mr Steele compared the bright light to an experience that many people have when they faint.

‘The change of blood supply that occurs in the brain due to low blood pressure results in a sort of tunnelled vision, so the darkness comes in from the outside before you pass out.’ he said. ‘For me, this “white light” is a more exaggerated version of fainting.’

What are your thoughts about Alistair’s story? Do you believe in the afterlife? Dare we ask if you’ve ever had a similar experience? Let us know in the comments!

Hear about other people’s near-death experiences by watching the video below:

Source: Inside Edition

Reactions: Zoya and Ricci
Sponsored
July 1997 I was 11 weeks pregnant and started haemorrhaging.

I was rushed to St George hospital and while waiting to be taken to surgery I passed out then heard my dead grandmother calling my name and telling me to wake up and fight.
When I asked my husband if he heard my nan's voice he said no, I replied omg I'm dying . I told him I loved him and to tell our kids I will always love them , then I passed out .

I woke up being wheeled into theatre and them telling my husband to say goodbye. He just replied I will be Here when you wake up. He had an overwhelming feeling if he said goodbye it would be.

While under I had a beautiful dream that I was standing in a bright room and my mother inlaw whom I never met
( she was killed in a car accident aged 35)
She told me to give her the baby which I was holding in a wrap and to go back.
Sge said it wasn't my time and she needed me there for her son and grandkids. That she would look after the baby until it's my time.

Next I could hear my husband crying and asking me to wake up.

When I managed to open my eyes I found out I was in ICU on life support which is the worst thing.

Fast forward...when they took me off life support a few hours later and took me to a ward I told hubby about my dream.

He held my hand and cried ...he said I died 3 times my heart stopped for 7 minutes 11 minutes and 9 minutes.
I had had an anaphylactic reaction from the anaesthetic.

I'm allergic to the muscle relaxants.
Which I had never knew as I had only had surgery once before when I was 2.

I know what I had was a near death experience .

I told the anesthesist when she came to see me afterwoods.

I had to speak to her 3 years ago before my surgery which was the first surgery after this incident and she remembered me straight away.

She had told me she kept kept my heart pumping and was determined not to lose someone so young ( 36 ) and someone with so many children at that time I had 9

I had a near-death experience at the age of 3.
I was standing at the edge of the ocean looking back up the sand to my sister (age 5) and brother (age 9), who were having an argument.
I had a towel wrapped around me.
Suddenly, a freak wave knocked me over.
I remember flailing around in the turbulent water, then a wave carried me in and my head hit the sand.
I remember thinking my Mum would go crook at me for getting sand in my hair.
I went in and out a few more times, then I left this world.
Everything went silent, and I was in a gold tunnel of light moving/floating towards the brightest part at the end. I couldn't wait to get there.
Suddenly, I heard a loud bang, and I was gasping for air.
My "big" brother had grabbed the straps on my bathers and pulled me up.
I returned to the land of the living.
My Mum bought my brother a cherry ripe for saving me, I treasured the slide-on sleeve of that cherry ripe for many years.
The memory is SO vivid.....
I also recall other details of that "holiday"....we stayed at a guest house.
I remember the waitresses serving our food, the horse-hair mattresses on the beds, hard as rocks!
There was a piano there, which my Mum played.
All the guests loved that.

Damn and I was going to start a whole new life after I left this world, so I had better start now before I go
make everyday count, I have been through various tragedies in my life and have thought about ending it, But I keep saying. make tomorrow count! We have to make the most of the days we have, so many kids never get to choose how long they will live.

My maternal Grandmother told my Mum about an incident that happened in the early 1930's. I believe that my Nana was having an operation & she stopped breathing & had no heartbeat - she had basically died. They managed to bring her back after performing CPR etc. When my Nana was later told what had happened, she told them that she already knew - as she had "floated up to the ceiling & watched them trying to resuscitate her." They didn't believe her - until she told them what each person had said & done during that time. (But, after that, she was treated "differently" by hospital staff & couldn't wait to leave.)

What happens when we die is one of life’s great mysteries as there's no surefire way of finding out the answers to these questions... Unless, of course, you happen to come back from the dead. Well, that's exactly what happened to this man three years ago.

Alistair Blake was pronounced clinically dead after going into cardiac arrest while he was asleep. Somehow, against all odds, medics were able to resuscitate him and bring him back to life 90 minutes later.

Before that, it was a fairly normal day for Alistair Blake. He rode 45 kilometres on his bike and spent time with Melinda, his wife of 35 years, before hitting the hay.

But when the clock ticked at 3.10 am, Melinda was awakened by a horrifying sight – Alistair was having a medical episode.

‘She’s a light sleeper and woke to me gurgling,’ Alistair recalled. ‘She grabbed her mobile phone and dialled triple-0 to get a hold of the ambulance and they instructed her to take me off the bed to be able to do CPR.’

k9pYiTgZRVXYhHXBlY-knODgqyD5kalL1qMyrwYMLHXfd7ZMD2SAmOcwmbwm-9GsAU0s0Mq0s2vOwZyIDrEY6GsvYS5s4M-Nq4MQuGaEGLX8pY4_LFHxKurq4kl5tuNQBaoID7jXjGsI8sEA05nlPDHqAuQWdHz8dUlytcP9FxnpKziH7QIxEuOqMQ

Alistair Blake pictured with his wife, Melinda. Source: news.com.au

‘She performed CPR on me for about 20 minutes then the paramedics turned up. They also performed CPR on me before using the defibrillator. Apparently, it was something in excess of 10 to 12 times.’

Things didn’t look good for Alistair at the time. The police talked to Melinda in another room and told her that her husband’s chances of surviving were slim.

For 90 minutes, paramedics fought to restart Alistair’s heart. Just when they were about to give up, they miraculously found a pulse.

A week later, Alistair woke up at Frankston Hospital and showed no signs of a brain injury, earning him the nickname 'Lazarus', or the man who was raised from the dead.

Alistair told I’ve Got News For You that his memories of the medical episode and his time in the hospital were cloudy.

‘I remember going to bed on a Saturday night. The next thing I remember was waking up on a Thursday morning – on a trolley going from ICU to coronary care.’ he said. ‘My brain blocked out what happened in between.’

‘People always ask me if I saw anything… And no, I did not see anything.’ he said. ‘No bright lights, nothing like that whatsoever.’

3TBEF_W-apoyvSexhM4J52foG4NlEK46yIVeTcubqxu8hyK51X2V6LXatMU0mH3DwxAwIC9_BYLcb64KmeGHTiOok-KzXgs2X4hIJ-3fz8WobVjL75k5sfNIO2oh4edF7pp70oG8yH1f6mVyGooUZYdZT_h8y5jZGxBxRwCVSRg_SI_irl9_KzUmaw

Alistair was revived after 90 minutes. Source: DailyMail

Alistair is one of the many people who have detailed their near-death experiences. Although he didn’t see anything on the other side, plenty of other people claimed to have.

Among them is Dr Eben Alexandar, a brain surgeon and former sceptic, whose beliefs were completely renewed after his ‘life-changing’ experience during a coma. He claimed to have seen heaven with his own eyes.

‘What my coma journey showed me is that consciousness is something that is fundamental in the universe and does not originate in the brain. What I experienced was the most extraordinary, memorable, detailed, and ultra-real experience of my entire life.’ he said.

Another man who had a similar experience to Alistair was the late Kerry Packer.

The ex-Channel 9 owner was dead for eight minutes after suffering from a heart attack in 1990.

‘I’ve been on the other side and let me tell you – there’s nothing f***ing there.’ Packer famously said.

Medical experts believe that the reason why people have different near-death experiences is mainly due to the way the brain reacts when the oxygen supply is cut off.

Patrick Steele, a Palliative Care Consultant from Palliative Care South East, previously explained to I’ve Got News For You the scientific and spiritual reasons behind the mysterious white light.

‘From a spiritual perspective, some people believe that the bright light is a glimpse into the afterlife or a sign that consciousness is leaving the brain.’ he said.

‘From a psychologist’s perspective, some say it’s more of a defensive mechanism or a flashback to earlier memories. From a medical perspective – and the one that I adhere to most – is that it’s more of a change in how our body is functioning, particularly the brain.’

EVohpfGcsCNR8tQSEz2-roo-HwIn3mhTe46EYhbaMkT5mM-gDA6ri_BOxGPbD8pPUutUg_zesHEKNdLI3i3w_0opV1MrNq1u_IPvv2BOroPsG2jqrm_mVf-Au1pMldv5dyWpJBRcHLG7HLsrkvb1kGTsPZivXLRQHefMjGpjmSLB6SC06_OEG3Y3nQ

Patrick Steele explained why near-death experiences vary. Source: Clarin

‘The brain, as you know, needs a lot of oxygen and blood supply to do its job effectively. Whenever that oxygenation is cut off, the brain doesn’t act normally.’ he continued.

Mr Steele compared the bright light to an experience that many people have when they faint.

‘The change of blood supply that occurs in the brain due to low blood pressure results in a sort of tunnelled vision, so the darkness comes in from the outside before you pass out.’ he said. ‘For me, this “white light” is a more exaggerated version of fainting.’

What are your thoughts about Alistair’s story? Do you believe in the afterlife? Dare we ask if you’ve ever had a similar experience? Let us know in the comments!

Hear about other people’s near-death experiences by watching the video below:

Source: Inside Edition

Definitely the brain creates the dream like experience however some people get comfort with the thought of heaven or an afterlife and that’s ok😌but what I would like to know is, what was OCCURRING in the body that they continued CPR for so long as 90 minutes when the average time to cease is 20-30 minutes?

Definitely the brain creates the dream like experience however some people get comfort with the thought of heaven or an afterlife and that’s ok😌but what I would like to know is, what was OCCURRING in the body that they continued CPR for so long as 90 minutes when the average time to cease is 20-30 minutes?
For me it was 27 minutes and my anesthesist said she wasn't going to give up

Reactions: Zoya and DiMcg
The strange thing to me is I would have thought my grandmother would have been the one to take the baby from me...yes I have dreamt of her many times
But as for my mother-in-law whom I've never met ...I have never dreamed of her not before my procedure or after

The strange thing to me is I would have thought my grandmother would have been the one to take the baby from me...yes I have dreamt of her many times
But as for my mother-in-law whom I've never met ...I have never dreamed of her not before my procedure or after
Had you seen a photo of her to know she was the person you dreamed of?