Man under police custody after allegedly stabbing two people at Woolworths

Content warning: This article contains descriptions of a stabbing incident that may be distressing to some. Reader discretion is advised.

In a disturbing turn of events that has left the local community reeling, violence unfolded near a Woolworths supermarket in Berwick, Victoria.

The sudden outbreak of violence is a stark reminder that, despite our best efforts to maintain a sense of security, unexpected dangers can lurk around even the most mundane corners of our daily lives.

Around the middle of the day on Sunday, 11 August, at approximately 12:30 PM, passersby were thrust into a scene of chaos as two individuals were allegedly stabbed in an unprovoked attack on Lyall Rd.

The tranquillity of a routine shopping day was shattered when witnesses reported a man ‘behaving erratically’ before the alleged assault took place.

Screenshot 2024-08-12 at 7.40.24 AM.png
A man allegedly stabbed two people at a Woolworths store in Victoria. Credit: 7NEWS Melbourne / Twitter

The victims, one man in his 20s who suffered serious injuries to his upper body and another who sustained superficial wounds, were both rushed to The Alfred Hospital.

The quick response of emergency services ensured that both men were in stable condition upon their arrival at the medical facility.

In a display of bravery and community spirit, bystanders intervened to restrain the alleged attacker, holding him until law enforcement officers arrived at the scene.

The swift action of these individuals likely prevented further harm and is a testament to the courage that can emerge in the face of adversity.

The suspect, whose motives remain unclear, is now in police custody.

‘The exact circumstances surrounding the incident are being investigated,’ Victoria Police said in a statement.

‘It is not believed parties are known to each other.’

As the investigation continues, police are asking anyone with information to come forward and contact Crime Stoppers.
Key Takeaways
  • Two people were allegedly stabbed in a random attack near Woolworths in Berwick, Victoria.
  • The assault occurred around 12:30 PM on Sunday, 11 August, and the alleged attacker was behaving erratically.
  • One victim has been hospitalised in a serious but stable condition with upper body injuries; another sustained superficial injuries.
  • The alleged attacker has been arrested, and the police are continuing their investigation, urging anyone with information to contact Crime Stoppers.
Have you ever witnessed or experienced a situation that made you feel unsafe while out shopping or going about your daily routine? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
The enigma is that we consider the "others" to be evil and ourselves as the "good guys".

Now, flip the coin. The "evil guys" will see themselves as the "good guys" It all depends on which side of the fence you were born on. Or should that be desert!

Just an aside. Just over a month ago on a Saturday afternoon, at Booragoon Garden City Shopping Centre, a bunch a pro Palestinian protesters with banners spewing out shit supporting Hamas were disrupting shoppers. I walked through the middle of them and said quite loudly "What are you c***s doing?. Funnily enough, not one single protester was of Middle Eastern appearance. Mainly blue eyed blondes, pasty looking brunettes and even a redhead!

You may have guessed by now....I'm proudly pro Israeli. But a good mate was born in Gaza which makes it difficult for both of us.
We find common ground.

Reactions: BeautifulMousey
"Have you ever witnessed or experienced a situation that made you feel unsafe while out shopping or going about your daily routine? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below."

Back in Bundaberg 1967, a mate and I had just been to the flicks and were sitting in the car after doing a few laps of Bourbong Street.

There was a gap of about 10 car spaces between ours and the next and a "domestic" of sorts was going on. The girl was on the receiving end of slaps and punches, and I yelled out of the window:

"Hey mate, leave her alone. Pick on someone who can fight back."

At that, they both turned on us and a string of expletives from the girl split the city air!! :)
Obviously she didn't want to be emancipated!!
I wouldn't say she was enjoying the slapping and punches in the ribs ... but at the same time, she was clearly not interested in anyone breaking up up her cozy love nest.

We Left her to her fate and did another lap.
When we drove past later, they were gone.

We didn't feel unsafe in calling out the abuse, but had we not departed there might have been some fight or flight involved.

"Have you ever witnessed or experienced a situation that made you feel unsafe while out shopping or going about your daily routine? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below."

Back in Bundaberg 1967, a mate and I had just been to the flicks and were sitting in the car after doing a few laps of Bourbong Street.

There was a gap of about 10 car spaces between ours and the next and a "domestic" of sorts was going on. The girl was on the receiving end of slaps and punches, and I yelled out of the window:

At that, they both turned on us and a string of expletives from the girl split the city air!! :)
I wouldn't say she was enjoying the slapping and punches in the ribs ... but at the same time, she was clearly not interested in anyone breaking up up her cozy love nest.

We didn't feel unsafe in calling out the abuse, but had we not departed there might have been some fight or flight involved.
Oh Ingot.
You have taken me down memory lane. I haven't heard the movies called "the flicks" for many years. Ahhh, the days of rolling Jaffas under the seats came flooding back.

Ahh....Bourbong Street! I lived in Bundaberg for almost 10 years until 2015. I saw something similar when both the victim and the perpetrator attacked somebody who intervened. Strange!

Looks like we'll all have to start having home deliveries and hope the delivery driver isn't a mass murderer.
It's not safe to set foot outside your door these days.
Bugger the little s...s (pardon the French) I refuse to let these scum of the Earth confine me to my home. If they want to have a shot at me then bring it on. I will defend my freedom to its limit even if the ultimate price is a trip to the next life whatever it is. Bravo to the members of the public who took this guy down, I hope they hurt them while waiting for the authorities to arrive. We should all teach these rotten souls on the streets that we have the right to walk peacefully in the world.

Start giving parents back the right to raise their children with respect and obedience.
The pre-schools and education systems are not the places to be raising our children.

Prior to the ousting of respect for the flag, the creed, and respect for God, the Bible and the place of prayer as a focus for instilling biblical morality, there were few - if any - of these incidents.
The answer is NOT harsher deterrents.
The answer is a loving home from an early age through to late teens.
Hard to disagree that parental love and loving discipline is actually the correct answer to these drug issues.

Those who disagree with teaching the tenets of Christianity in the home might find that their point of view is not everyone's, and that Christian principles had actually made society very stable.

We can all point the finger to an example of where a child had a loving home, but still went off the rails.
Such are rare, and there is usually a reason for that.

Clearly this branch of social engineering (giving the child over to educators with an unknown agenda) has failed.
Look at the results of that.
Mothers are out of the home working and not nurturing.
Fathers are not "fathering" and providing the leadership and instruction in the home.
Remember the documentary "Weetbix Kids"?
Kids eating weetbix before and after school, because no parent was in the home to see to it they had meals, care and the "right" food.
We now have children (with no stable parenting) with children of their own.
Children are not mini-adults.
They have what is called 'formative years' ... except there is no one there to guide them safely through these years.
I rest my case.
Never anyone there to guide me. No wonder I am a deliquent.

Reactions: Ingot
How do you suggest keeping people away from drugs?
Simple, if they want drugs then administer drugs to them.
Administering an overdose by way of syringe can't be to difficult,
hence Mathew Perry.
We have these govt controlled shooting up clinics for users all over the place,
the problem is solved and it's govt subsidised!! {problem solved}

People with mental health problems are no more violent than "normal" people. The problem is that access to illicit drugs by people with psychological problems who use those drugs are THE problem, in addition to not properly medicated. The "war on drugs" is no more effective than the war on house flies!

Simple, if they want drugs then administer drugs to them.
Administering an overdose by way of syringe can't be to difficult,
hence Mathew Perry.
We have these govt controlled shooting up clinics for users all over the place,
the problem is solved and it's govt subsidised!! {problem solved}
Really? Oh dear me. You obviously have never worked or dealt with this issue.

Reactions: BeautifulMousey
Many moons ago as a 21year old I was at a New Years eve celebrations, with a young lady when I was set upon by 3 young guys and systematicly bashed , one of assailants used a beer bottle on me ended up in Hospital for 6 days tried to protect young lady and myself to no avail have always been a bit nervous in large crowds since.

Everyone has an opinion about religion, because the evidence of creation is all around us.
When you see creation, you know there is a Creator.
People deny God because He is light and exposes their darkness, smuttiness, lewdness, immorality theft and deception and deceit. men hide their bad deeds and dishonesty, lies, corruption and lust. But God exposes all of that, and offers Salvation.

2 Corinthians 4:3-4
" 3But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:
4 in whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them."

People will fight for religion, hate and argue over religion and even die for religion.
But few will LIVE for religion.

What you described is not religion, but cultism and evil.

James 1:27
"Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world."

When people love God, they love one another, and they OBEY God's Commandments ... not just the 10 ... but the ones Jesus gave on top of those.

No one ever had a change of heart because someone on the Internet presented a different view, based on the Word of the Great Teacher and Saviour, Jesus Christ, in His Word.

I am sorry that you had that experience at the hands of an evil cult.
It seems to have caused a state of denial of the existence of a real, loving God.
How you described your current state, is that of a person rebelling against God, and determined to shut down those who do speak of his wonderful, undeserved love and Grace towards us.

I too have witnessed wickedness and received it at the hands of those whose profession it was to uphold the teachings - not of the church - but of God Himself.
It didn't make me hate God, but for a time I was bitter about it, until I handed it bck to God to deal with.
Instead the experience gave me compassion for the lost, and hatred for the evil that men do, and plan.

My own heart is naturally dark, and my thoughts are the same as any human beings.
But God has redeeemed me from out of it all, and I have the hope placed in me by His Holy Spirit, that I will one day (soon) be with my Saviour and my God.

I can see that this is not something that produces a winner or a loser in a debate in public.
I respect with s

Everyone has an opinion about religion, because the evidence of creation is all around us.
People deny God because He is light and exposes their darkness, smuttiness, lewdness, immorality theft and deception and deceit. men hide their bad deeds and dishonesty, lies, corruption and lust. But God exposes all of that, and offers Salvation.

4 in whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them."

People will fight for religion, hate and argue over religion and even die for religion.

"Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world."

When people love God, they love one another, and they OBEY God's Commandments ... not just the 10 ... but the ones Jesus gave on top of those.

No one ever had a change of heart because someone on the Internet presented a different view, based on the Word of the Great Teacher and Saviour, Jesus Christ, in His Word.

It seems to have caused a state of denial of the existence of a real, loving God.
How you described your current state, is that of a person rebelling against God, and determined to shut down those who do speak of his wonderful, undeserved love and Grace towards us.

I too have witnessed wickedness and received it at the hands of those whose profession it was to uphold the teachings - not of the church - but of God Himself.
It didn't make me hate God, but for a time I was bitter about it, until I handed it bck to God to deal with.
Instead the experience gave me compassion for the lost, and hatred for the evil that men do, and plan.

My own heart is naturally dark, and my thoughts are the same as any human beings.
But God has redeeemed me from out of it all, and I have the hope placed in me by His Holy Spirit, that I will one day (soon) be with my Saviour and my God.

I can see that this is not something that produces a winner or a loser in a debate in public.
I respect with sadness, that you hold this position.
We are all given tests in our lives and whether you choose to believe or not God has given us free will to choose.What l see is all Gods beautiful creations all around us and who but Him could have created them.

Reactions: Mr Chips and Ingot
We are hearing this alot these days. People are cranky 😠 with just about anything. While I'm shopping I watch people and most of the time I take someone with me. We often hear angry words while out and about. The cost of living is making people unhappy.

Reactions: Mr Chips
Put the scum away for nothing short of 5yrs & don't let them play the mental health act. Too many are doing it now. If they have those problems then keep away from drugs & stay on your medication.
If they have mental problems maybe a dedicated facility where they are incarcerated and treated until they are deemed well enough not to be a danger to themselves or the public

Reactions: Ingot

I respect with sadness, that you hold this position.
There is this:
"God can either take away evil from the world and will not, or, being willing to do so, cannot; or they neither can nor will, or lastly, they are both able and willing. If they have the will to remove evil and cannot, then they are not omnipotent. If they can, but will not, then they are not benevolent. If they are neither able nor willing, then they are neither omnipotent nor benevolent. Lastly, if they are both able and willing to annihilate evil, how does it exist?"

Then there is this:
"Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from you, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can.

I do, however, need some advice from you regarding some other elements of God's Laws and how to follow them.
These are:
1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighbouring nations.
A friend of mine claims that this applies to Papua New Guineans, but not New Zealanders. Can you clarify? Why can't I own New Zealanders?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of Menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15: 19-24.
The problem is how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offence.

4. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odour for the Lord - Lev.1:9.
The problem is my neighbours. They claim the odour is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

5. I have a neighbour who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death.
Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or should I ask the police to do it?

6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination, Lev.11:10 it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this? Are there 'degrees' of abomination?

7. Lev.21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20. or is there some wiggle-room here?

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev.19:27. How should they die?

9. I know from Lev.11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev.19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot.........
..... Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair, like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev.20:14)
I have many tattoos as I know you do or don't, but Lev.19:28 prohibits this, how did you get around it?
I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy considerable expertise in such matters, so I'm confident you can help.
Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

PS: It would be a real shame if we couldn't own a New Zealander.
PPS: personally I find it morally wrong to ask for funds for this type of purpose with no intent to repay - especially if - god & heaven forbid - he wins.

Reactions: mylittletibbies
There is this:
"God can either take away evil from the world and will not, or, being willing to do so, cannot; or they neither can nor will, or lastly, they are both able and willing. If they have the will to remove evil and cannot, then they are not omnipotent. If they can, but will not, then they are not benevolent. If they are neither able nor willing, then they are neither omnipotent nor benevolent. Lastly, if they are both able and willing to annihilate evil, how does it exist?"

Then there is this:
"Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from you, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can.

I do, however, need some advice from you regarding some other elements of God's Laws and how to follow them.
These are:
1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighbouring nations.
A friend of mine claims that this applies to Papua New Guineans, but not New Zealanders. Can you clarify? Why can't I own New Zealanders?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of Menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15: 19-24.
The problem is how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offence.

4. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odour for the Lord - Lev.1:9.
The problem is my neighbours. They claim the odour is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

5. I have a neighbour who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death.
Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or should I ask the police to do it?

6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination, Lev.11:10 it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this? Are there 'degrees' of abomination?

7. Lev.21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20. or is there some wiggle-room here?

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev.19:27. How should they die?

9. I know from Lev.11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev.19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot.........
..... Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair, like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev.20:14)
I have many tattoos as I know you do or don't, but Lev.19:28 prohibits this, how did you get around it?
I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy considerable expertise in such matters, so I'm confident you can help.
Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

PS: It would be a real shame if we couldn't own a New Zealander.
PPS: personally I find it morally wrong to ask for funds for this type of purpose with no intent to repay - especially if - god & heaven forbid - he wins.
🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Love
Reactions: deni67