Man reveals incredible Venice kitchen discovery in TikTok video

You would think that the stunning views of Venice and you know, being anywhere other than home, would excite a tourist enough, but not this tourist.

A US traveller has managed to accumulate more than 2.5 million views on a video about an “incredible” and “genius” discovery that he came across while staying in what appears to be a hotel or airbnb in the famous Italian City of Venice.

In his video, the man who is known as @emersonmcbones begins by showcasing the gorgeous views of Venice from his window, before turning the camera to what really got him excited.

“So this is where we’re staying in Venice… it’s got pretty great views of the Grand Canal and the train station is like a stones throw away,” he said. “But what’s really cool, check this out,” he continued with a very excited voice.

Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 2.04.20 pm.png
A dish rack hanging above the sink, so the water from the dishes drops into the sink below. Image source: TikTok.

“You put your dishes away, when you dry them you put them up here and they just drain straight into the sink.”

He was referring to an over the sink dish rack, leaving him questioning why we don’t have them elsewhere in the world.

“You don’t have to put them on a drying rack and then put them away later — you just put them straight where they go and they dry into the sink from there,” he continued in his extremely shocked voice.

But he wasn’t the only person shocked by this discovery. His video immediately started a tidal wave of comments from people also surprised by the ‘invention’.

The original TikTok video that has been viewed over 2.5 million times.

“I was about to say ‘man that view is beautiful, why are you so uninterested about it?!’ but then I saw the rack and my jaw literally dropped open lmao,” one person commented on the video.

“Oh no way, that's so cool!” a second person wrote, while a third joked:

“’How was your Venice trip?’ – ‘Super cool. They had this neat drying rack for dishes above the sink!””.

“(I) was amazed to have this!! Puts drying dishes neatly out of sight.”

One commenter pointed out “This is Finnish innovation. Every house in Finland has this,” with another saying “You can buy those on Amazon”.

Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 2.12.36 pm.png
Amazon AU sell a similar item, although it is not mountable. Image source: Amazon AU.

While the one from Venice is installed in a cupboard above the sink, the one featured on Amazon Australia is freestanding and fits over the sink, depending on its sizing and is actually on sale for $85.95. Catch.com.au also has a similar one for $59.96.

Sponsored
Yes it's a good drying rack. I was only in Venice for a short time and would have loved to stay longer to have more time to explore.

This is not new, as I am sure we all know, I'm 80, and can remember visiting my mum at work at a hotel in Perth Western Australia ,in about 1950 and that hotel had that sort of drying arrangement then. Saved on tea towels, and employee salaries...

Reactions: tomtom and Faye D
very practical indeed but certainly not a new idea

Recorded history of the idea goes back as far as 1876 with a patent application by an American inventor Chandler Vashti!!!!

Reactions: tomtom
Wow, we don't see a problem with the " drip dry " particularly in a hotel/motel/ cafe situation - probably more healthy as a towel can get wet and dirty.