Major trolley issue prompts Woolworths to issue a new statement

Many of us understand the importance of sustainability and the need to do our part in helping the environment.

However, Woolworths supermarket has some shoppers seeing red this week after introducing its new 'greener' plastic trolleys that seemed to be missing a key feature needed by many shoppers.

It was previously reported that retail giant Woolworths led the charge on these environmentally-friendly initiatives, introducing greener trolleys made from high-density polyethylene, better known as HDPE plastic.

Woolworths' promise was to gradually replace all the old metal trolleys as they became aged, broken, or simply needed replacing, paving the way for this new generation of sustainable carts in all their new stores.

SDC Images (8).png
Woolworths has introduced its environmentally-friendly 'greener' trolleys which will gradually replace old metal trolleys. Image source: Shutterstock (left), Reddit (right).

However, as with most changes, this was met with some friction.

And just recently, another major issue with plastic trolleys has got shoppers in a fluster.

Sharing her frustration on a popular social media forum, one mum-of-two openly voiced her irritation over the store’s new trolleys, saying she was 'very annoyed' by their design.

She said that the new carts lacked seats for two children, making it difficult for her to manage her shopping trips with both her two-year-old and one-year-old in tow.

'My local Woolworths just replaced all their metal trolleys with plastic ones. Whatever,' the mum said.

'But I am very annoyed at the design! I looked for trolleys with double child seats but found none! I have two-year-old and one-year-old toddlers, and now can’t go shopping with both of them. Woolies needs to fix this design issue as there are a lot of people with more than one small [child].'

'The alternative is putting one of the kids in the trolley basket, which is strongly advised against.'

'What are parents of multiples to do?' The mum asked.

The sentiment was echoed by another user who said: 'Oh really? I hope they do bring out the double seats.'

'I’m sure they will if enough people complain. So convenient on busy days.'

Despite the outburst, it seems Woolworths isn't turning a blind eye to the concerns. It is understood that while the plastic trolleys are being rolled out, the supermarket will retain some of the metal carts with double seats in some stores. If customers can’t find these, they can request the store team to provide one.

Woolworths also said in a statement that the new plastic trolleys have gained positive reviews from its customers.

'We’re working hard to grow greener for our customers and the environment,' a spokesperson from the supermarket said.

'Our recycled trolleys have been very popular with customers and are currently available in select stores.'

'We plan to continue rolling them out to new stores over the coming years.'

'We also have trolley baskets that are made from 100 per cent recycled plastic and give used milk bottles a second life in our stores while also reducing the use of new materials to create trolleys.'
Key Takeaways
  • A Woolworths customer has raised a serious concern about the supermarket's new 'environmentally-friendly' plastic trollies, stating they do not provide seats for two children.
  • The new trolleys, made from HDPE (high-density polyethylene), are replacing existing steel trolleys as they age or break and are being used in all new Woolworths stores.
  • The change has been criticised by a customer for making shopping trips difficult for parents of multiple small children.
  • Despite these complaints, Woolworths has stated the new plastic trollies have received positive reviews, and it was reported that it will be retaining some of its metal carts with double seats in some stores.
Members, what are your thoughts on this latest sustainability initiative by Woolworths? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
We can't use plastic bags, why are we using plastic trolleys, keep the metal ones, at least 2 children can sit in them
Trolleys are recycled plastic, and are lighter and easier to use ,metal ones had a mind of their own and you needed a bodybuilder to help control them, children should not be in food trolleys, read the comments that says it all.

Reactions: PattiB and DLHM
In response to your last sentence, I’ve never seen it. How do you know that the mum doesn’t bring the treat from home? Or if the mum does chose something in store for the child, do you keep an eye on them to be sure payment is made before they leave?
The Kids should be fed before you go shopping .

Reactions: PattiB
The Kids should be fed before you go shopping .
Sometimes they might be fed first, but by giving the little ankle biters a treat, it can promote positive reinforcement to alleviate boredom. My 4 kids hated grocery shopping when they were little, so I avoided taking them whenever I could. Not always convenient, but was less wear and tear on my nerves (and those around me), especially with my second and fourth born kids! They were a challenge! 😉

Reactions: PattiB and Leenie
Totally agree Leenie! Could she possibly get someone to watch the children while she shops? Would get done so much quicker & with less hassle. People seem to complain about everything.
I have a new great grandchild and my granddaughter has a pram that allows her to put shopping underneath for any urgent shopping she needs. Any big shopping should be done by both parents or one stays at home with the baby/ies whilst the other does the shopping. Would hate to have to shop with children.

Reactions: PattiB and Leenie
In response to your last sentence, I’ve never seen it. How do you know that the mum doesn’t bring the treat from home? Or if the mum does chose something in store for the child, do you keep an eye on them to be sure payment is made before they leave?
Of course not everyone does it but I've definitely seen it—the empty containers are then left on a shelf in the aisle where the kid finished the snack.

Many of us understand the importance of sustainability and the need to do our part in helping the environment.

However, Woolworths supermarket has some shoppers seeing red this week after introducing its new 'greener' plastic trolleys that seemed to be missing a key feature needed by many shoppers.

It was previously reported that retail giant Woolworths led the charge on these environmentally-friendly initiatives, introducing greener trolleys made from high-density polyethylene, better known as HDPE plastic.

Woolworths' promise was to gradually replace all the old metal trolleys as they became aged, broken, or simply needed replacing, paving the way for this new generation of sustainable carts in all their new stores.

View attachment 35223
Woolworths has introduced its environmentally-friendly 'greener' trolleys which will gradually replace old metal trolleys. Image source: Shutterstock (left), Reddit (right).

However, as with most changes, this was met with some friction.

And just recently, another major issue with plastic trolleys has got shoppers in a fluster.

Sharing her frustration on a popular social media forum, one mum-of-two openly voiced her irritation over the store’s new trolleys, saying she was 'very annoyed' by their design.

She said that the new carts lacked seats for two children, making it difficult for her to manage her shopping trips with both her two-year-old and one-year-old in tow.

'My local Woolworths just replaced all their metal trolleys with plastic ones. Whatever,' the mum said.

'But I am very annoyed at the design! I looked for trolleys with double child seats but found none! I have two-year-old and one-year-old toddlers, and now can’t go shopping with both of them. Woolies needs to fix this design issue as there are a lot of people with more than one small [child].'

'The alternative is putting one of the kids in the trolley basket, which is strongly advised against.'

'What are parents of multiples to do?' The mum asked.

The sentiment was echoed by another user who said: 'Oh really? I hope they do bring out the double seats.'

'I’m sure they will if enough people complain. So convenient on busy days.'

Despite the outburst, it seems Woolworths isn't turning a blind eye to the concerns. It is understood that while the plastic trolleys are being rolled out, the supermarket will retain some of the metal carts with double seats in some stores. If customers can’t find these, they can request the store team to provide one.

Woolworths also said in a statement that the new plastic trolleys have gained positive reviews from its customers.

'We’re working hard to grow greener for our customers and the environment,' a spokesperson from the supermarket said.

'Our recycled trolleys have been very popular with customers and are currently available in select stores.'

'We plan to continue rolling them out to new stores over the coming years.'

'We also have trolley baskets that are made from 100 per cent recycled plastic and give used milk bottles a second life in our stores while also reducing the use of new materials to create trolleys.'
Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths customer has raised a serious concern about the supermarket's new 'environmentally-friendly' plastic trollies, stating they do not provide seats for two children.
  • The new trolleys, made from HDPE (high-density polyethylene), are replacing existing steel trolleys as they age or break and are being used in all new Woolworths stores.
  • The change has been criticised by a customer for making shopping trips difficult for parents of multiple small children.
  • Despite these complaints, Woolworths has stated the new plastic trollies have received positive reviews, and it was reported that it will be retaining some of its metal carts with double seats in some stores.
Members, what are your thoughts on this latest sustainability initiative by Woolworths? Let us know in the comments below!
Ever since Brad got the job, Wollies has gone crazy. And ever since I am avoding them like a plague unless I can't find what I am after elsewhere. Just convenience shopping ever since.

Haven't these money grabbing companies ever heard of 'IF IT AINT BROKE DON'T FIX IT". Is it any wonder this world is in such a mess.....kids not even out of nappies who think they know everything.
The majority of them have been taught those ridiculous ideas via Universities and High School.

Suggest this lady do home delivery , after all trolleys are for food not children, putting children in food trolleys is not hygienic , sorry just my opinion.
Come on Leenie, don't be so selfish and with one track mind. What do you expect a mother to do when she has childrens and even babies and has groceries shopping to do.?
Are you going out there and look after her children while she does the shopping.? Did you ever had children yourself.?
Dear oh me , I have heard it all now.

In some regional areas home delivery is not an option. My closest WW will not even deliver to the town in which they are located so the chance of those of us who live out of town getting home delivery is ZILCH.
So true Elaine 41. There are some people out there just talking for the sake of talking without paying any attention to other people and their inconveniences. I call these people selfish. Period.!
I do shopping with Mrs. Kelpie and we don 't complain about the weight of the trolley or the colour of it. We simply do our shopping if and when we can, apy for them and go and if I see a young mum with children trying to muster her shopping or dragging the trolley to her car, I always ask if she need shelp. Sometime they will acknowledge and take my help, others they tell me to mind my own business but I will continue to do so and ask the next time it happens.

Totally agree Leenie! Could she possibly get someone to watch the children while she shops? Would get done so much quicker & with less hassle. People seem to complain about everything.
There are times that people does not have that privilege. Some of them have no family to help them and others live where there are no home deliveries either. NOT EVERYONE LIVES IN A BIG CITY OR IN A BIG REGIONAL TOWN. So don't be so selfish and inconsiderate. A long time ago Mrs Kelpie and I got married and moved up in NTH QLD where my work took me and we had no relations to look after our family.

Come on Leenie, don't be so selfish and with one track mind. What do you expect a mother to do when she has childrens and even babies and has groceries shopping to do.?
Are you going out there and look after her children while she does the shopping.? Did you ever had children yourself.?
Dear oh me , I have heard it all now.
What era did you grow in I had 3 💕 lovely 😊 daughters and managed to shop without hassles as i am sure other mothers did. What is being selfish suggesting getting home deliveries ,it was a suggestion not knowing the circumstances, you seem to be a little confused ,and I certainly don’t have a one track mind as you have said.

I didn’t have family any near me when raising my family & managed to cope without the dramas I see these days and 40 years ago online shopping didn’t happen. Once my son could walk he wouldn’t sit in his stroller let alone a shopping trolley, he walked along beside me. Besides online shopping doesn’t always mean home delivery, I order online then drive to the supermarket, they bring out my order and pack it into my boot. It’s called CLICK & COLLECT so doesn’t matter if you live away from a home delivery area you don’t necessarily have to shop in store. I get tired of people looking for problems! Lennie & I totally agree, trolleys are for shopping not children or dogs!

• Love
Reactions: DLHM and Leenie
I didn’t have family any near me when raising my family & managed to cope without the dramas I see these days and 40 years ago online shopping didn’t happen. Once my son could walk he wouldn’t sit in his stroller let alone a shopping trolley, he walked along beside me. Besides online shopping doesn’t always mean home delivery, I order online then drive to the supermarket, they bring out my order and pack it into my boot. It’s called CLICK & COLLECT so doesn’t matter if you live away from a home delivery area you don’t necessarily have to shop in store. I get tired of people looking for problems! Lennie & I totally agree, trolleys are for shopping not children or dogs!
Thank you for you support ,it’s really appreciated after the attack from KELPIE. Who doesn’t have a clue about us mothers, only assumes he does.

• Love
Reactions: PattiB and DLHM
What era did you grow in I had 3 💕 lovely 😊 daughters and managed to shop without hassles as i am sure other mothers did. What is being selfish suggesting getting home deliveries ,it was a suggestion not knowing the circumstances, you seem to be a little confused ,and I certainly don’t have a one track mind as you have said.
You are burying your head in the sand here. You fail to read and address that not all places have a delivery facility availbale to them. As for the era I grew up in (That's a little too personal now), lets put it in this way I might be a hell of a lot older than you and travel the World more than you can even imagine but I still livce in the Country. I had and still have 3 children too (All Married now) but the time I was talking about before it was just me and Mrs. Kelpie and she was that much pregnant that she could hardly move let alone she never ever had a licence while I was working a long while away from her and we still managed. But not eveyone has that option and facility available to them hence why I broiught that up. A bit selfish on your behalf to say that.

• Sad
There are times that people does not have that privilege. Some of them have no family to help them and others live where there are no home deliveries either. NOT EVERYONE LIVES IN A BIG CITY OR IN A BIG REGIONAL TOWN. So don't be so selfish and inconsiderate. A long time ago Mrs Kelpie and I got married and moved up in NTH QLD where my work took me and we had no relations to look after our family.
When I first moved up to Tom Price, WA in 1975, there was just the CoOp to buy limited groceries from. We didn’t buy fresh fruit and veg then. (Wasn’t exactly fresh!) There were a lot of us who would do two types of mail order grocery shopping; one order for frozen food and one for non perishables. The boxes were delivered to the front door. Can’t remember how long it took, but we didn’t complain of inconvenience because that’s just the way it was.

Reactions: Kelpie and PattiB