Major trolley issue prompts Woolworths to issue a new statement

Many of us understand the importance of sustainability and the need to do our part in helping the environment.

However, Woolworths supermarket has some shoppers seeing red this week after introducing its new 'greener' plastic trolleys that seemed to be missing a key feature needed by many shoppers.

It was previously reported that retail giant Woolworths led the charge on these environmentally-friendly initiatives, introducing greener trolleys made from high-density polyethylene, better known as HDPE plastic.

Woolworths' promise was to gradually replace all the old metal trolleys as they became aged, broken, or simply needed replacing, paving the way for this new generation of sustainable carts in all their new stores.

SDC Images (8).png
Woolworths has introduced its environmentally-friendly 'greener' trolleys which will gradually replace old metal trolleys. Image source: Shutterstock (left), Reddit (right).

However, as with most changes, this was met with some friction.

And just recently, another major issue with plastic trolleys has got shoppers in a fluster.

Sharing her frustration on a popular social media forum, one mum-of-two openly voiced her irritation over the store’s new trolleys, saying she was 'very annoyed' by their design.

She said that the new carts lacked seats for two children, making it difficult for her to manage her shopping trips with both her two-year-old and one-year-old in tow.

'My local Woolworths just replaced all their metal trolleys with plastic ones. Whatever,' the mum said.

'But I am very annoyed at the design! I looked for trolleys with double child seats but found none! I have two-year-old and one-year-old toddlers, and now can’t go shopping with both of them. Woolies needs to fix this design issue as there are a lot of people with more than one small [child].'

'The alternative is putting one of the kids in the trolley basket, which is strongly advised against.'

'What are parents of multiples to do?' The mum asked.

The sentiment was echoed by another user who said: 'Oh really? I hope they do bring out the double seats.'

'I’m sure they will if enough people complain. So convenient on busy days.'

Despite the outburst, it seems Woolworths isn't turning a blind eye to the concerns. It is understood that while the plastic trolleys are being rolled out, the supermarket will retain some of the metal carts with double seats in some stores. If customers can’t find these, they can request the store team to provide one.

Woolworths also said in a statement that the new plastic trolleys have gained positive reviews from its customers.

'We’re working hard to grow greener for our customers and the environment,' a spokesperson from the supermarket said.

'Our recycled trolleys have been very popular with customers and are currently available in select stores.'

'We plan to continue rolling them out to new stores over the coming years.'

'We also have trolley baskets that are made from 100 per cent recycled plastic and give used milk bottles a second life in our stores while also reducing the use of new materials to create trolleys.'
Key Takeaways
  • A Woolworths customer has raised a serious concern about the supermarket's new 'environmentally-friendly' plastic trollies, stating they do not provide seats for two children.
  • The new trolleys, made from HDPE (high-density polyethylene), are replacing existing steel trolleys as they age or break and are being used in all new Woolworths stores.
  • The change has been criticised by a customer for making shopping trips difficult for parents of multiple small children.
  • Despite these complaints, Woolworths has stated the new plastic trollies have received positive reviews, and it was reported that it will be retaining some of its metal carts with double seats in some stores.
Members, what are your thoughts on this latest sustainability initiative by Woolworths? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
I see it all the time in woollies.
Well I don't because when I go shopping I have to help Mrs. Kelpie and only concentrating on what we want to buy and then pay and get out.
As for the era I lived in, if you allow me I will finish it the best way I can.
I lived in an era where men always treated womenwith respect and in the best way possible. I always offer my help if I see a woman in distress and I always get up and offer my seat if I am sitting down to any woman even if I am a lot older than them if and when I am at the airport, or in cafe, or even the few times I get a train while in Sydney or Melbourne going to the races to watch some of my horses racing or elsewhere because I hate driving around those places where everyone is in a hurry and some of them driving like they are possessed. Sometime the offesr are taken other times they are not but at least I feel comfortable and happy with myself that I did my best and what I have been taught and brought up with.
In my days we used to be called gentlemen but not today. Those were the days.....
What pisses me off the most though is when I get up to give my seat to a woman only to see some young rude human being quickly jumping in the seat I vacated for the lady and totally ignore you when you ask them as to why they do that.
Have a good dayn or what is left of it.

What era did you grow in I had 3 💕 lovely 😊 daughters and managed to shop without hassles as i am sure other mothers did. What is being selfish suggesting getting home deliveries ,it was a suggestion not knowing the circumstances, you seem to be a little confused ,and I certainly don’t have a one track mind as you have said.
Well I don't because when I go shopping I have to help Mrs. Kelpie and only concentrating on what we want to buy and then pay and get out.
As for the era I lived in, if you allow me I will finish it the best way I can.
I lived in an era where men always treated womenwith respect and in the best way possible. I always offer my help if I see a woman in distress and I always get up and offer my seat if I am sitting down to any woman even if I am a lot older than them if and when I am at the airport, or in cafe, or even the few times I get a train while in Sydney or Melbourne going to the races to watch some of my horses racing or elsewhere because I hate driving around those places where everyone is in a hurry and some of them driving like they are possessed. Sometime the offesr are taken other times they are not but at least I feel comfortable and happy with myself that I did my best and what I have been taught and brought up with.
In my days we used to be called gentlemen but not today. Those were the days.....
What pisses me off the most though is when I get up to give my seat to a woman only to see some young rude human being quickly jumping in the seat I vacated for the lady and totally ignore you when you ask them as to why they do that.
Have a good dayn or what is left of it.
)

When I first moved up to Tom Price, WA in 1975, there was just the CoOp to buy limited groceries from. We didn’t buy fresh fruit and veg then. (Wasn’t exactly fresh!) There were a lot of us who would do two types of mail order grocery shopping; one order for frozen food and one for non perishables. The boxes were delivered to the front door. Can’t remember how long it took, but we didn’t complain of inconvenience because that’s just the way it was.
I hear you my friend. In the good old days everything was possbile and made easy for customers and everyone. Especially in Country Towns.
I remember Mrs ........ (I can't tell her name here) she was the mail lady. Along with the mail, she used to deliver the fresh bread everyday and the milk as well to all the farms in the area. If you needed some parts for the farm machinery or whatever the merchant used get the goods to the mail lady and she would deliver them for you and put it in your mail box. Hence why the RMB (The roadside mail box) was always large enought to cater for those things. All of that thanks to medrnisation is gone now and if you tell it to someone today they will laugh at you. YEP THE GOOD OLD DAYS...and there was always a good Xmas or New Year and /or Easter present there on those dasy for the mail lady.
Today the mailman is alwaysw in a hurry and he throws the mail in your mail box and if it missed too bad it stays on the ground until you pick it up when you go and check up for mail. NO PRESENTS TO HIM...
I remember driving way out back and seeing huge mail boxes and they were big let me tell you. When I queried as to the size of them I was told that when the kids were driven back by the school bus to the farms and it was raining the kids used to seat in it for cover and wait for mum or someone else to come and pick them up at the gateway. These mail boxes could be anywhere up to few kilometres or more from the homestead. Hence why I got love Australia so dearly.

• Love
Reactions: DLHM
What era did you grow in I had 3 💕 lovely 😊 daughters and managed to shop without hassles as i am sure other mothers did. What is being selfish suggesting getting home deliveries ,it was a suggestion not knowing the circumstances, you seem to be a little confused ,and I certainly don’t have a one track mind as you have said.
Keep your chin up Leenie. We know what we mean and you can’t really compare how things were we we all raised our children with how things are now. And no you’re not selfish either!

• Love
Reactions: Leenie
Keep your chin up Leenie. We know what we mean and you can’t really compare how things were we we all raised our children with how things are now. And no you’re not selfish either!
Thank you Pattie B much appreciated,.

Reactions: PattiB