Major driving licence update may affect over one million Aussie drivers

The open road could be a place of freedom and joy.

However, it also comes with a significant responsibility.

For those who enjoy the thrill of driving—especially those with a penchant for high-powered vehicles—a vital update could set a precedent nationwide.

For the first time in Australian history, over one million South Australian drivers could face stricter requirements should they plan to drive ultra-high-powered vehicles (UHPVs).

Starting in December, drivers will be required to complete an interactive online course to educate them on the risks associated with UHPVs.

The course will cover vehicle features, safety systems, maintenance, laws, and penalties to compel drivers to take responsibility for their actions behind the wheel.

compressed-roads.jpeg
The upcoming regulations aim to promote better driving practices in South Australia. Image Credit: Shutterstock/nblx

According to South Australian road authorities, UHPVs are any vehicle with a power-to-weight ratio of 276 kilowatts per tonne or more.

This classification excludes buses, motorbikes, and trikes.

The change was a response to a tragic event that sparked a nationwide conversation about road safety and driver accountability.

In 2019, 15-year-old Sophia Naismith was struck by an out-of-control Lamborghini, leading to her death.

The incident not only devastated her family but also raised questions about which drivers can use UHPVs on public roads.

Thanks to the Naismith family's calls for accountability, South Australia introduced a specific U-class licence for UHPV drivers.

The state's Minister for Infrastructure and Transport, Tom Koutsantonis, expressed pride in introducing the new requirements.

'Through practical modules, we're compelling drivers to take responsibility and be aware of the additional risks that come with driving a UHPV,' Koutsantonis shared.

This initiative was also part of a broader conversation about road safety in Australia.

According to the Bureau of Infrastructure and Transport Research Economics (BITRE), road tolls rose by 7.3 per cent in the past 12 months—indicating a clear need for action.

Ideas such as special licences for recreational vehicles and refresher courses for licence renewal have also emerged nationwide.

Road safety expert Professor Andre Rakotonirainy also pointed out that there's no 'silver bullet' for road safety.

While reacting to specific crashes can lead to positive changes, a sustainable approach to reducing road fatalities would require a multifaceted strategy.

While the licensing requirement will not take effect nationwide yet, it's a reminder to stay vigilant on the road.

Whether you're driving a family sedan or a luxury sports car, the principles of safe driving remain the same.

After all, the thrill of driving should never come at the cost of safety.
Key Takeaways

• South Australia introduced a nation-first requirement for additional training and a U-class licence to drive high-powered vehicles.
  • The Naismith family's campaign drove the reforms after the death of 15-year-old daughter Sophia, who died due to an out-of-control Lamborghini.
  • Drivers who want to drive around UHPVs would be required to complete practical modules on various topics, including safety systems and laws.
  • The introduction of more rigorous licensing requirements aimed to make drivers more accountable and reduce road incidents following an increase in the national road toll in Australia.
What are your thoughts on these new licensing requirements? Will these rules make our roads safer? Let us know your thoughts in the comment below.

Sponsored
For a start 17 year olds getting their licence should be barred from driving high power cars......at least till they get some sense.
Putting a kid in charge of a powerful vehicle is the worst thing you can do !
Looking at the road accidents Australia has, the age limit should be raised to 21 for new licence holders.

I have a pilots licence, there are many stages to get to be able to fly anything. A basic licence mean you can fly, carry passengers, but not charge them, but you can split the costs. There is also retractable undercarriage rating, variable pitch propeller rating, multiple engine rating, IFR (instrument flying, i.e nigh time and through clouds) and finally commercial. Each one requires training before you get upgraded.
At the moment you can get a drivers licence after learning an automatic, once you get that you can go out and buy and drive a manual, no training required. I feel there should be restrictions in place and the ability to train more and go up a level.

In the 1960’s new drivers could only drive 4 cylinder cars and motor bike riders were limited to 250cc bikes. We also had Manual or Automatic on our licences. Whatever happened to these rules?? Seeing young teenagers driving 4 wheel drives and high powered cars or bikes concerns me

In the 1960’s new drivers could only drive 4 cylinder cars and motor bike riders were limited to 250cc bikes. We also had Manual or Automatic on our licences. Whatever happened to these rules?? Seeing young teenagers driving 4 wheel drives and high powered cars or bikes concerns me
What state are you in? Unfortunately there are different rules in each state

Very interesting article although I am a little confused this new rule doesn’t apply to Motorcycles. The power to weight ratio on these extremely fast machines is a little concerning that they have been left out of the mix. Any changes to driving awareness and driver training is always a positive step for sure!!!

Very interesting article although I am a little confused this new rule does apply to Motorcycles. The power to weight ratio on these extremely fast machines is a little concerning that they have been left out of the mix. Any changes to driving awareness and driver training is always a positive step for sure!!!
There is a restriction that you can only have a 250cc bike, it does go up, not sure how long or what you have to do.

Ok that’s fair but doesn’t this new training apply to all drivers in the category or just newbies. Not everyone just rides a 250cc
Yeah newbies. I got a bike licence many decades ago, this wasn't in force then, but it came out later. Don't know the details but I got in on the older system so it didn't affect me

What state are you in? Unfortunately, there are different rules in each state.
The thing is there are a lot more cars on the road today than there were in the 60s and 70s and they are getting more and more powerful than ever before.
Yes, I agree that there should be better training and stricter test for the learner driver's, also for the "P" Platers they should stay on their Ps till they've confirmed that they are fully able to drive and control a car before they can drive a higher-powered car.

I have a pilots licence, there are many stages to get to be able to fly anything. A basic licence mean you can fly, carry passengers, but not charge them, but you can split the costs. There is also retractable undercarriage rating, variable pitch propeller rating, multiple engine rating, IFR (instrument flying, i.e nigh time and through clouds) and finally commercial. Each one requires training before you get upgraded.
At the moment you can get a drivers licence after learning an automatic, once you get that you can go out and buy and drive a manual, no training required. I feel there should be restrictions in place and the ability to train more and go up a level.
I totally agree

Reactions: Tervueren
I have been driving since I was 18 I am now 63, I learnt in an automatic and was told that I wasn't allowed to drive a manual as I hadn't been taught to drive in a manual. I wonder if that is true now some 30 odd years later, or that is still the case. Young people particularly don't follow those rules and will get what they want to get. I totally agree with more training and stricter rules should apply to those under I would say 25. There are too many young adults dying or causing accidents that affect other drivers.

I was the proud owner of a Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10 back in the mid 2010s. It had a power-to-weight ratio of over 700 kilowatts per tonne. It was rated at 0 - 100 kmh of 2.8 seconds with a top speed of just over 300 kmh. It was funny when turkeys in their "high performance" BMWs and Mercedes wanted a race off at the lights. Very few cars would give me a run for my money. The Lamborghini Aventador comes to mind with a power-to-weight ratio of about 317 kilowatts per tonne. Never had the chance for such a challenge! :p

I only had it up to about 255 kmh on the Mitchell Highway between Trangie and Nyngan on a cloudless and windless day with hardly any cars or trucks in sight.

A high power-to-weight ratio does not always equate to high acceleration or top speed.