Major bank goes cashless to become 'completely digital'

The banking landscape is undergoing a seismic shift, and Macquarie Bank is at the forefront of this change.

In a move that signals the future of financial transactions, Macquarie Bank has announced that it will transition to a fully digital model, eliminating cash and cheque services at its branches later this month.

This decision is a clear nod to the rapidly evolving consumer behaviour and the increasing reliance on digital banking solutions.

Macquarie Bank announced in September 2023 that it would gradually eliminate cash and cheque services from all its banking and wealth management products between January and November 2024.

From May 20, customers will no longer be able to order new cheque or deposit books, and phone banking services have ceased since the start of March.

shutterstock_441894061.jpg
Macquarie Bank announced it will go completely cashless. Credit: Shutterstock

‘Instead, you’ll be able to make payments digitally—a safer, quicker, and more convenient way to bank,’ Macquarie Bank said.

Additionally, Macquarie's partnership with NAB branches will end, meaning that cash and cheque deposits and withdrawals will not be available for Macquarie customers at National Australia Bank (NAB) branches from 1 November.

Commonwealth Bank, NAB, and ANZ have stopped handling cash in some of their branches and reassured customers that they will maintain in-branch cash services.

The Australian Banking Association (ABA) reported that nearly 99 per cent of all customer interactions with banks now occur digitally, while over 1600 Australian bank branches closed between 2017 and 2022.

The Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) has noted that the COVID-19 pandemic accelerated the decline in cash use, with only around 13 per cent of payments made using cash in 2022, a significant drop from 70 per cent in 2007.

Furthermore, the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) has highlighted a dramatic decrease in ATM use, from 78 million withdrawals in December 2008 to just 30 million in June 2023.

Despite the decline, RBA reported that cash acceptance remained relatively high, with 94 per cent of businesses still accepting cash as of June 2022 from 99 per cent in February 2020.

Experts have varying opinions on the future of cash.

‘I’d say we’ll be functionally cashless by the end of 2025—it’ll just be a complete rarity,’ Richard Holden, a Professor of Economics at the University of New South Wales Business School, said.

‘But unless the government gets involved to accelerate the process, I think we’ll be actually cashless by 2030.’

Holden also claimed that there were only a few reasons to use cash ‘other than illicit acts or people who want to use cash to hide things from people’.

On the other hand, Chris Vasantkumar, a lecturer at Macquarie University, believed that cash is ‘unlikely to go away completely’.

‘On a personal level, some folks (indeed some societies) have serious concerns about lack of privacy—this is the flip side of a popular argument for moving to cashless transactions—decreased crime as a result of increased transparency,’ Vasantkunar said.

‘But one person’s transparency is another person’s surveillance. How much information about our economic behaviour are we comfortable giving up?’

Dr Angel Zhong, Associate Professor of Finance at the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT), predicted that 90 per cent of society would go cashless, but ‘it does not mean that cash as a legal tender will lose value or disappear from society’.

‘People who don’t use cash might still be concerned about the security of their digital transactions and the safety of their financial information,’ she said.

‘Even though they don’t use cash, people might still be wary of becoming too dependent on digital technology for everyday transactions.’
Key Takeaways

• Macquarie Bank will become completely cashless this month as part of its move towards a fully digital service model.
  • The bank is ending cheque and cash services and has already ceased phone banking services, focusing on digital payments, which they deem safer and more convenient.
  • Other big banks in Australia have reassured that they will maintain in-branch cash services despite a general trend of declining cash usage.
  • Experts predicted Australia may become functionally cashless by the end of 2025, though a completely cashless society might only be realised by 2030, and cash is expected to retain value for privacy concerns and as a legal tender.
Have you been affected by the reduction of cash services? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
I call this dictatorship and loss of any privacy. 99% cashless is BS. Funny how they make up their own statistics to suit their evil agenda 😡😡😡
"evil agenda", go have a lie down, your delusional mind is is sending you nuts. Oh and dictatorship? hahahaha, obviously you do not understand what that means.

There seem to be more & more businesses which refuse cash. It has happened to me mostly in cafes. Seeing as cash is legal tender, how are they permitted to get away with this?
If I was a Macquarue Bank customer, I would be closing my account & taking my business elsewhere. If every customer did this, the bank would no longer exist

People, stop getting paranoid about what an investment bank has done. Here's a list of the current investment banks in Australia. I can say with certainty that most if not all of these have never dealt with cash transactions, some have been here for decades and have never had cash facilities.

Allen & Company

ANZ

Arma Partners

Bank of America

Barclays

BBY Ltd

Blackstone Group

BNP Paribas

Brown Brothers Harriman

Brown, Shipley & Co.

BTG Pactual

C.W. Downer & Co.

Cain Brothers

Canaccord Financial Inc

Cantor Fitzgerald

Capital Investment Partners

Capstone Partners

Centerview Partners

China International Capital Corporation

CITIC Securities

Citigroup (Citi Institutional Clients Group)

Close Brothers Group

CLSA

Collins Stewart Hawkpoint

Corporate Finance Associates

Cowen Group

Credit Suisse

Daewoo Securities

Defoe Fournier & Cie.

Deutsche bank

Duff & Phelps

Europa Partners

Evercore Partners

FBR Capital Markets

Financo

Foros Group

Gleacher & Co.

Goldman Sachs

Greenhill & Co.

Guggenheim Partners

Guosen Securities

Houlihan Lokey

HSBC

Imperial Capital

Investec

Investment Technology Group

Janney Montgomery Scott

Jefferies & Co.

JPMorgan Chase

Keefe, Bruyette & Woods

Ladenburg Thalmann

Lazard

Lincoln International

M.M.Warburg & CO

Macquarie International

Marathon Capital

Mediobanca

Miller Buckfire & Co.

Moelis & Company

Morgan Keegan & Company

Morgan Stanley

N M Rothschild & Sons

Needham and Company

Newedge

Oppenheimer & Co.

Panmure Gordon

Park Lane

Perella Weinberg Partners

Piper Jaffray

Pottinger

Raymond James

Robert W. Baird & Company

Royal Bank of Canada

Royal Bank of Scotland

Sagent Advisors

Sandler O’Neill + Partners

Sanford Bernstein

SLM Corporate Ltd

Socirale

Stephens Inc.

Stone Key Partners

Sydney Capital Partners

Thomas Weisel Partners

UBS Investment Bank

Vermilion Partners

Wedbush Securities

Wells Fargo Securities

William Blair & Company

WR Hambrecht + Co
Waste of internet resources right here! ^^^^

The Australian Banking Association (ABA) reported that nearly 99 per cent of all customer interactions with banks now occur digitally, while over 1600 Australian bank branches closed between 2017 and 2022.

Did the idiots at the ABA ever read the following publications?

Most definitely not.

If you are an anti cash hero, these documents may cause distress. Your god of cashlessness is somewhat a false idol.

There seem to be more & more businesses which refuse cash. It has happened to me mostly in cafes. Seeing as cash is legal tender, how are they permitted to get away with this?
If I was a Macquarue Bank customer, I would be closing my account & taking my business elsewhere. If every customer did this, the bank would no longer exist
Your understanding of what legal tender is needs work. Legal tender means in our case the Australian Dollar is the currency used in Australia. It does not mean a business must take it, as long as the business puts a sign up stating they do not accept cash it's legal.

Do you understand what Macq Bank is? They are an investment bank, and the number of cash customers would be extremely small. Obviously they have decided that the numbers are so small they can afford to lose a few customers who may want cash transactions. There are numerous investment banks in Australia and the majority, if not all, don't have cash facilities, never have, for decades now.

People, stop getting paranoid about what an investment bank has done. Here's a list of the current investment banks in Australia. I can say with certainty that most if not all of these have never dealt with cash transactions, some have been here for decades and have never had cash facilities.

Allen & Company

ANZ

Arma Partners

Bank of America

Barclays

BBY Ltd

Blackstone Group

BNP Paribas

Brown Brothers Harriman

Brown, Shipley & Co.

BTG Pactual

C.W. Downer & Co.

Cain Brothers

Canaccord Financial Inc

Cantor Fitzgerald

Capstone Partners

Centerview Partners

CITIC Securities

Close Brothers Group

CLSA

Cowen Group

Credit Suisse

Daewoo Securities

Defoe Fournier & Cie.

Deutsche bank

Duff & Phelps

Europa Partners

Evercore Partners

FBR Capital Markets

Financo

Foros Group

Gleacher & Co.

Goldman Sachs

Greenhill & Co.

Guggenheim Partners

Guosen Securities

Houlihan Lokey

HSBC

Imperial Capital

Investec

Janney Montgomery Scott

Jefferies & Co.

JPMorgan Chase

Keefe, Bruyette & Woods

Ladenburg Thalmann

Lazard

Lincoln International

M.M.Warburg & CO

Macquarie International

Marathon Capital

Mediobanca

Miller Buckfire & Co.

Moelis & Company

Morgan Keegan & Company

Morgan Stanley

N M Rothschild & Sons

Needham and Company

Newedge

Oppenheimer & Co.

Panmure Gordon

Park Lane

Piper Jaffray

Pottinger

Raymond James

Royal Bank of Canada

Royal Bank of Scotland

Sagent Advisors

Sanford Bernstein

SLM Corporate Ltd

Socirale

Stephens Inc.

Stone Key Partners

Sydney Capital Partners

Thomas Weisel Partners

UBS Investment Bank

Vermilion Partners

Wedbush Securities

Wells Fargo Securities

William Blair & Company

WR Hambrecht + Co
Greg350, you may know something I don't, but ANZ might be the odd one out on your list.

From the article.....
‘I’d say we’ll be functionally cashless by the end of 2025—it’ll just be a complete rarity,’ Richard Holden, a Professor of Economics at the University of New South Wales Business School, said............

This bloke is a goose. Nfi in my opinion, and his next line from the article proves it....
Holden also claimed that there were only a few reasons to use cash ‘other than illicit acts or people who want to use cash to hide things from people’......
Head up his you know what. Probably not much life experience in the real world outside of academia. As an academic, he should know better than to not consider or not mention all the reasons, and especially the importance of the reasons he omitted to talk about. The next two people to be quoted are more realistic and transparent and show the goose up for what he is, in my opinion.

So, while I am able to understand why there might be a lot of concern about such articles, there is no need for panic and no need for paranoia. A cashless Australia is decades away or it just won't happen at all until none of us care.
Of course over time, cash will become less accepted by some businesses, as it is expensive to manage cash, but it's not going to disappear anytime soon.

I doubt Macquarie bank will lose clients, as all (means almost all) would operate in the digital environment.

I like using online banking as it makes my life so much easier. At the same time I do like using cash'.

I doubt any politician, for a long time, would be stupid enough to invoke the ire of all us that have their own important reasons (and not criminal ones) for using cash. So don't worry or fret or get angry about it, it's just a waste of energy.🤑

Reactions: Veggiepatch
Some people here have suggested withdrawing savings from your bank if they go cashless.

WHAT THEN? DO YOU KEEP THIS MONEY AT HOME & HOPE YOU DON'T GET ROBBED OR PLACE THE MONEY IN ANOTHER BANK WHO HAS GONE CASHLESS???

I use cash a lot i know where my finances are, put on a card you still have to pay in a time limit or get charged a interest, so with mostly my transactions locally are done in cash and thank goodness my local bank still works with cash transactions.

Allen & Company

ANZ

Arma Partners

Bank of America

Barclays

BBY Ltd

Blackstone Group

BNP Paribas

Brown Brothers Harriman

Brown, Shipley & Co.

BTG Pactual

C.W. Downer & Co.

Cain Brothers

Canaccord Financial Inc

Cantor Fitzgerald

Capstone Partners

Centerview Partners

CITIC Securities

Close Brothers Group

CLSA

Cowen Group

Credit Suisse

Daewoo Securities

Defoe Fournier & Cie.

Deutsche bank

Duff & Phelps

Europa Partners

Evercore Partners

FBR Capital Markets

Financo

Foros Group

Gleacher & Co.

Goldman Sachs

Greenhill & Co.

Guggenheim Partners

Guosen Securities

Houlihan Lokey

HSBC

Imperial Capital

Investec

Janney Montgomery Scott

Jefferies & Co.

JPMorgan Chase

Keefe, Bruyette & Woods

Ladenburg Thalmann

Lazard

Lincoln International

M.M.Warburg & CO

Macquarie International

Marathon Capital

Mediobanca

Miller Buckfire & Co.

Moelis & Company

Morgan Keegan & Company

Morgan Stanley

N M Rothschild & Sons

Needham and Company

Newedge

Oppenheimer & Co.

Panmure Gordon

Park Lane

Piper Jaffray

Pottinger

Raymond James

Royal Bank of Canada

Royal Bank of Scotland

Sagent Advisors

Sanford Bernstein

SLM Corporate Ltd

Socirale

Stephens Inc.

Stone Key Partners

Sydney Capital Partners

Thomas Weisel Partners

UBS Investment Bank

Vermilion Partners

Wedbush Securities

Wells Fargo Securities

William Blair & Company

WR Hambrecht + Co
Bit off the main topic, but there is another one that could be added to your list and may interest some, but it's definitely not everyone's cup of tea.... RAIZ.

I have found it has a much easier way to save up for moderate goals. No different than putting your small change in a tin in the cupboard. Just with a modern twist without the weight involved.

The current market returns that I get from Raiz on a daily basis way outstrips the major bank I have more funds with. I think you can start with this bank for as little as $5 and your small change from purchases added to the investment once a week.

What prompted me to write this post is they are at complete odds to mainstream banks, Raiz recently offered the chance for customers to add to types of investments that they offer on their account. I found it most remarkable that a Bank would offer customers the ability to alter their product to such a deep level. So different from others who have been complained about on this site for changing one's account without consultation.

I think there are plenty of others that come under the banner of new FinTech banks that might offer similar services. My point is that if some seniors are comfortable with and/or stuck in the digital world it pays to shop around.

The Ordinary person on the street could not give a hoot about Macquarie Bank, to the guy on the street they are a nothing Bank. The look after the Multi Millionaires money, not Joe Blow in the Suburbs
I think you're missing the point. First it's Macquarie, then it's ANZ, then it's Commonwealth, then they all fall... We should ALL be concerned. No matter which bank it is...

Vote with your feet people. Remove your money and close your account.
"...you’ll be able to make payments digitally—a safer, quicker, and more convenient way to bank.." What a joke. All we hear on a daily basis is how more and more people are losing their money to scammers who are becoming more and more sophisticated in getting your money. I sometimes wonder about these 'scammers' and whether or not they have a connection to large banking corporations...

I use cash a lot i know where my finances are, put on a card you still have to pay in a time limit or get charged a interest, so with mostly my transactions locally are done in cash and thank goodness my local bank still works with cash transactions.
If you use a credit card you have a time and interest maybe to pay. You do realise that there are things called Debit Cards, you are accessing your own money, takes it out of your bank account, not a credit account.

Reactions: freedy50
It might be legal tender, but all shops have to do is inform you, with a notice in the shop, that they don't accept cash.

Reactions: Greg350

Allen & Company

ANZ

Arma Partners

Bank of America

Barclays

BBY Ltd

Blackstone Group

BNP Paribas

Brown Brothers Harriman

Brown, Shipley & Co.

BTG Pactual

C.W. Downer & Co.

Cain Brothers

Canaccord Financial Inc

Cantor Fitzgerald

Capstone Partners

Centerview Partners

CITIC Securities

Close Brothers Group

CLSA

Cowen Group

Credit Suisse

Daewoo Securities

Defoe Fournier & Cie.

Deutsche bank

Duff & Phelps

Europa Partners

Evercore Partners

FBR Capital Markets

Financo

Foros Group

Gleacher & Co.

Goldman Sachs

Greenhill & Co.

Guggenheim Partners

Guosen Securities

Houlihan Lokey

HSBC

Imperial Capital

Investec

Janney Montgomery Scott

Jefferies & Co.

JPMorgan Chase

Keefe, Bruyette & Woods

Ladenburg Thalmann

Lazard

Lincoln International

M.M.Warburg & CO

Macquarie International

Marathon Capital

Mediobanca

Miller Buckfire & Co.

Moelis & Company

Morgan Keegan & Company

Morgan Stanley

N M Rothschild & Sons

Needham and Company

Newedge

Oppenheimer & Co.

Panmure Gordon

Park Lane

Piper Jaffray

Pottinger

Raymond James

Royal Bank of Canada

Royal Bank of Scotland

Sagent Advisors

Sanford Bernstein

SLM Corporate Ltd

Socirale

Stephens Inc.

Stone Key Partners

Sydney Capital Partners

Thomas Weisel Partners

UBS Investment Bank

Vermilion Partners

Wedbush Securities

Wells Fargo Securities

William Blair & Company

WR Hambrecht + Co
Just to say HSBC is a mainly domestic bank and RBS hasn't even been in Australia since 2015.

Oh well. I'm not bothered. Can't even remember the last time I went to my bank for anything or an ATM to get any cash. And who uses cheques these days?
My debit card in my wallet or on my phone is all I need for everything.(y)

Reactions: Greg350