ANZ secretly phases out cash services from several branches

In a move that has left many Australians reeling, ANZ, one of the nation's largest banks, has discreetly discontinued cash services at several city branches.

This decision has sparked outrage, particularly as it follows a trend of mass branch closures across the country's major financial institutions.

Over the past six years, more than 2100 branches have been shuttered nationwide among these banks.

Customers of ANZ's Carlingford branch, located northwest of Sydney, were taken aback when they discovered a notice taped to the front door announcing the significant alteration to its services.

compressed-shutterstock_1694781040.jpeg
ANZ secretly scrapped its cash services at different locations. Credit: Shutterstock

Starting Monday, March 18, the bank will cease over-the-counter deposits and withdrawals at various branch locations, including Balmain, Revesby, St Ives, and Manly.

An ANZ spokesperson has sought to reassure customers, stating that they can still carry out cash and cheque transactions using Smart ATMs and coin deposit machines situated inside these branches.

‘At some of our metropolitan branch staff will focus on speaking with our customers about their banking needs, particularly about the big financial decisions in their lives, like borrowing for a new home or establishing accounts for a new business,’ the spokesperson said.

ANZ will also have staff to assist customers.

The spokesperson added that ANZ saw a 50 per cent decline in in-branch transactions across their branch network over the past four years.

Despite ANZ’s reassurance, the move has been met with criticism.

Nationals Senator Matt Canavan lambasted the bank's decision, arguing that if banks offer transaction accounts to customers, they should ensure that these customers can access their funds.

He voiced his concerns on 2GB, stating, ‘I don’t think these banks are living up to their side of the deal.’

'You should be able to withdraw money whenever you like. They seem to be restricting your ability to do that.'

‘They make money the longer you keep your money with them, and you’ve got to wonder whether this is actually just a commercial decision to make more money of us.’

Canavan, who is currently leading a senate inquiry into branch closures in regional Australia, has pledged to raise concerns about this latest development when the inquiry reconvenes on February 21.

Interestingly, ANZ is the only major bank not allowing customers to bank at their local post offices. This is due to a failed agreement with Australia Post on their Bank@Post service.

The ANZ decision comes from similar moves by other major banks.

Last week, the Commonwealth Bank announced it would close three more branches before March 1, including Rundle Mall in Adelaide, Coolangatta on the Gold Coast, and Coogee in Sydney’s east.

The week prior, NAB announced it would close 13 branches this year, and Bankwest, which CBA owns, will close two more branches.

These developments have led to concerns about the closures’ impact on communities.

'The banks have been using branch closures to prop up their massive profits for years,’ said Finance Sector Union National Secretary Julia Angrisano.

‘It's time they were forced to maintain customer service to local communities in regional and metropolitan areas.'
Key Takeaways
  • ANZ bank has removed over-the-counter cash services from multiple Sydney branches, prompting a backlash from customers.
  • Significant branch closures have occurred across the country, with over 2100 branches shutting down over the past six years among major financial institutions.
  • Customers will still be able to conduct cash and cheque transactions using Smart ATMs and coin deposit machines within these branches, and staff will be available to assist with banking needs.
  • Nationals Senator Matt Canavan has criticised ANZ's decision, suggesting that restrictions on cash access could be a commercial move to profit from customers' funds, and has plans to address this at a senate inquiry into branch closures.
Have you been affected by the closure of a bank branch or the reduction of cash services? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
ALl the banks and government want this to happen so they can make money in fees on every transaction and they can know what you spend your money on it is a way of total control cash is god and if i banked with anz i would close my accounts and move to a cash handling bank

ANZ Nambour has been closed for over the counter service for 2 years , 3 ATM outside , and Nambour has allready lost Westpak & Suncorp . It has to stop , Cash & Cards can live side by side
It will never stop until every bank is cashless..... cash won't be worth the paper it's printed on....

• Wow
Reactions: Ezzy and Monks
I used to rave about how great ANZ Bank was, now as far as I'm concern, they are one of the worst banks in Australia. They no longer give a S^it to any of their customers. Yes, everyone states "Just change Banks". Problem is, out here in the country/rural area all the other banks are closing too. If I could live my life with NO BANKS, I would as I'm fed up with them all. But we can't so I'm up S^its Creek Without a Paddle. Solvent Green can't come soon enough as far as I'm concern.

Screw the ANZ for greedy corporate bastards. Same old s***. Once we are all compelled to use plastic cards to pay for everything government will know our every movement in real time.

Privacy? You are bloody joking!

Remember the fuss we made about Bob Hawke's planned ID card in around 1987? Well, that ID card is in your wallet via the banking industry and businesses which refuse to accept cash.

The definition of a bank is "a bank is a financial institution licensed to receive deposits and make loans. " If they no longer deal with cash, can they still be called a bank? I think it might be time to go back to keeping our money under the mattress, with them not giving us interest on our money that "they borrow from us" there is no incentive to use them anymore.

ANZ closed their branch at Leeton over 2 years ago. Then, they removed their cash machine from our town in Narrandera. To get any help you have to ring 1300 number and wait and wait. Finally, in frustration I went to the branch at Wagga and was given false information on our account and still can't get onto someone to talk about our account. NOT HAPPY JAN.

At our ANZ bank in SA, you must stand in a queue to talk to a person. Then you get told to talk to the person at the other desk, Queue there also. To get cash out one must prove who you are even with your card in hand (which is a clever idea) but it takes time.

I am a pensioner with a walker to get me round and not computer wise. When I need cash it is a long walk to get to my bank A.T.M. As disability parking and lifts are at opposite end of the shopping mall so I found an A.T.M near lifts now they have put up the fee to service users. I have decided to draw out my pension every fortnight and do a one stop shop.ie groc. Chemist Dr .drop off bloods post Office.and keep the special needs young man his money for cutting my lawn.I was told it would be easier if I went into a home and lost my independence. This is the thanks I get for my hard work for this country an my support of a bank for most of my working life.

Lets hope all the Intelligent Customers of the ANZ and any other bank that does this sort of thing show their disgust by closing their accounts and go else where.... People need to start SCREAMING about wanting public owned POST OFFICE BANK and having that would make these criminal banks sit up and take notice... These mongrels are using every resource (including bribery and intimidation) to stop this from happening but if you want to keep cash then we all need to stand up and fight harder than any of these major banks and the efforts of the international criminals like the WEF,WHO,UN,IMF the EUGRNICISTS

• Wow
Reactions: Monks and Jennie
Don't think it's just them, I am 67 and on a disabled pension. I have to work to make ends meet I wanted to draw out what money I had earned in super from Super Australia over the last three months. They said because I had less than 1,000 in there I had to close the account if I wanted the money.

ANZ CUSTOMERS..........YOU NEED TO TAKE YOUR MONEY ELSEWHERE!!!! Loyalty does not exist these days, they don't give a RATS about you, you have to look after......... NUMBER ONE, nobody else will!!!!

I used to rave about how great ANZ Bank was, now as far as I'm concern, they are one of the worst banks in Australia. They no longer give a S^it to any of their customers. Yes, everyone states "Just change Banks". Problem is, out here in the country/rural area all the other banks are closing too. If I could live my life with NO BANKS, I would as I'm fed up with them all. But we can't so I'm up S^its Creek Without a Paddle. Solvent Green can't come soon enough as far as I'm concern.
Do you mean Soylent Green?