Luxury fashion empire Harrolds crumbles with millions in debt

The world of high fashion is often seen as a realm of timeless elegance and enduring success.

Yet, even the most prestigious brands are not immune to the harsh realities of the retail industry.

In a stunning turn of events, an iconic Australian luxury fashion retailer has collapsed and left a trail of debt and uncertainty.

Harrolds, a name synonymous with opulence and style, has been a fixture in the Australian fashion landscape for nearly four decades.

Founded in 1985, the family-owned business opened its first store in Melbourne and quickly became the home for brands such as Tom Ford, Saint Laurent, Balmain, and Burberry.

Harrolds carved out a niche as Australia's only privately owned luxury department store, with additional stores in Sydney and the Gold Coast.

compressed-harrolds.jpeg
Harrolds' flagship store storefront in Melbourne. Image Credit: Landini Associates/Trevor Mein

In an effort to adapt to the changing retail environment, Harrolds expanded its reach by launching an online store in 2020.

The online store boasted a collection from over 100 of the world's finest designer brands.

Despite its rich history, Harrolds has been quietly placed into liquidation earlier this month.

Liquidators from SMB Advisory revealed Harrolds’ staggering debt of more than $16 million owed to almost 90 creditors.

The list included outstanding debts to Victoria Beckham's company, two Tom Ford subsidiaries, American designer Thom Browne, Versace, and Stella McCartney, among others.

Harrolds' Managing Director, Ross Poulakis, expressed 'deep regret' over the decision.

'Despite our best efforts to adapt to the evolving economic environment, a combination of reduced luxury spending, decreased foot traffic, unprecedentedly high levels of CBD office vacancies and extremely unfavourable government policies has significantly impacted our ability to sustain operations,' Mr Poulakis shared in a statement.

'Unfortunately, the retail sector in Australia has been hit hard. Like many other retailers before us in this period, we have had to close our doors.'

The impact of Harrolds' downfall extended beyond the fashion labels.

Harrolds also owed their employees more than $190,000 in entitlements.

Various designers and luxury brands, including Feng Chen Wang, Mach & Mach, and Raffaele Caruso, were also left with unpaid bills.

The retailer also owed $2.3 million to one of its major creditors, The Australian Taxation Office (ATO).

Harrolds' closure marked the end of an era for luxury fashion in Australia. It also raised questions about the future of luxury retail in The Land Down Under.

For former employees and creditors, the path forward is uncertain.

SMB Advisory encouraged everyone affected by the liquidation to come forward and lodge claims.

As we witness the fall of Harrolds, it's a stark reminder that brands—no matter how luxurious or well-established—are not guaranteed survival in the volatile world of retail.
Key Takeaways

• Australian luxury fashion retailer Harrolds recently went into liquidation and owed $16 million to multiple creditors.
  • Harrolds, founded in 1985, was Australia's only privately owned luxury department store and had outlets in Melbourne, Sydney, and the Gold Coast.
  • The company accrued debt with a number of famous design houses, including Victoria Beckham, Tom Ford, Thom Browne, Versace, and Stella McCartney, among others.
  • The liquidation also affected employees and nearly 90 creditors, including the Australian Taxation Office, to which the company owed over $2.3 million.
Have you shopped at Harrolds before? What do you think this means for the future of luxury shopping in Australia? Join the conversation and share your thoughts with us in the comments section below.

Sponsored
I have a couple of three piece classic suits (pants, skirt and jacket) which I had tailor made in Hong Kong in, would you believe it, 1990. Not cheap, but still going strong. One is a light blue and the other cream which I mix and match with many different tops, I still get complimented on my 34 year old suits these days,best buy I ever made.
At the other end if the spectrum I think I must be Temu's best customer. I like to have a large variety of everyday clothes and don't want them to last forever, because I get tired of them so am happy with their cheaper prices.
I'm addicted to temu

I'm sorry to hear another business is going bankrupt. But I'm amazed that the high end stores are still open. Because of our money worries is across the board. People aren't not spending money like they use to before Covid. Everything cost so much more now. 🙄

Anything to do with Harrolds of UK????? Only one I've ever heard of.
And it's about time Australia STOPPED letting companies get into this type of debt as it's the workers and other business that pay for it in the end.

The knock-on effect of this will be felt for many more months or years.
No you are thinking HARRODS not harrolds.Harrofs was bought out by Muhamed al Fayed (rip) and is under the name of Fraser's of London.
Ordered some shoes for grandaughter there last Christmas as couldn't get her size anywhere in Australia

Great quick service fyi

Reactions: BeautifulMousey
I'm sorry to hear another business is going bankrupt. But I'm amazed that the high end stores are still open. Because of our money worries is across the board. People aren't not spending money like they use to before Covid. Everything cost so much more now. 🙄
Exactly plus there are less and less people in the CBD on big wages that can shop at these stores as most work from home since covid,plus even the young are buying cheap from overseas.

In other words, you never paid for perfume.... :ROFLMAO:
I totally identify with that.I try different things even yogurts etc,then can't remember which one was the better one.WE NEED TO WRITE IT ALL DOWN.ARPEGE 9 LONG LASTING MANY COMMPLIMENTS CO CO CHANNEL 3.EVERYONE IN OFFICE SNEEZED AND GOT HEADACHES ,BLACK MUSK 5.EVERYONE IMET ASKED ME FOR A DATE ETC ETC🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: BeautifulMousey
It wasn't my fault there were so many to try and test 😁

Actually I always go back to Chanel No 5 which I buy
Loved those morning walks through DJ's waiting for my bank to open.Perfume,lipstick,hand cream PLUS THE GIRLS WETE FALLING OVER THEMSELVES FOR YOU TO TRY.INAGINE THAT SERVICE TODAY?? SECURITY CAMERAS WOULD HAVE TALK DARK AND INTIMIDATING GUARDS SNIFFING AROUND YOU IN A MILLISECOND AS SOON AS YOU SPRAYED YOUR WRIST....AHHH THE GOOD OLD DAYS Suzanne
Pity it’s not cruelty free I only use cruelty free products 😳
it's perfume....give us a break........
ARPEGE FOR ME AND IT DOESN'T SMELL LIKE THE ORIGINAL FORMULATION ANY MORE BUT WAS MUMS SISTERS ETC FAVOURITE AND CONSEQUENTLY MINE.

Have never heard of Harrolds and even if I had would not purchase from them, I have never believed in paying for a label when buying clothes I, would rather have a lot of clothing to chose from for the same cost as a well known "Fashionista" brand with a few exceptions for accessories that will last forever, I have had the same "Jag" brand leather wallet with matching Key Wallet for over 30 years none of which showing any signs of wear, I have never kept an item of clothing for that long, no matter the brand name, as I would soon tire of wearing it, give me multiple choices rather than a few that cost 2 or even 5 times as much.

Ordered three times from them in a month.Little gagety things that you think will come in handy.I swear,,90% faulty,broke firt use or looked cheap and nasty.Achild probably is in a factory now seeing things up.
Sorry you had a bad experience with Temu.
I have bought an endless supply of clothes from them, have been happy with them all.
Also rugs, kitchen items, solar lanterns for my patio, quilts, sheets, towels,cushions, handbags, luggage, etc.
Even a barn door(less than half the price of Bunnings) beautiful plant stands and a large cat run for my cat.
No problems with quality or delivery and all great prices.

Reactions: Littleboy8
I didn’t think I would have anything to say about this store closing and then I realised it wasn’t Harrads the London store ( I wouldn’t be surprised if this had to shut with all the shinannicins.) Interesting that it is so closely spelt with the London one. I just wonder if that’s I tended to get people like me to think it’s what it’s not?

Anything to do with Harrolds of UK????? Only one I've ever heard of.
And it's about time Australia STOPPED letting companies get into this type of debt as it's the workers and other business that pay for it in the end.
Exactly what I said (see my post earlier)
The knock-on effect of this will be felt for many more months or years.