Luxury fashion empire Harrolds crumbles with millions in debt

The world of high fashion is often seen as a realm of timeless elegance and enduring success.

Yet, even the most prestigious brands are not immune to the harsh realities of the retail industry.

In a stunning turn of events, an iconic Australian luxury fashion retailer has collapsed and left a trail of debt and uncertainty.

Harrolds, a name synonymous with opulence and style, has been a fixture in the Australian fashion landscape for nearly four decades.

Founded in 1985, the family-owned business opened its first store in Melbourne and quickly became the home for brands such as Tom Ford, Saint Laurent, Balmain, and Burberry.

Harrolds carved out a niche as Australia's only privately owned luxury department store, with additional stores in Sydney and the Gold Coast.

compressed-harrolds.jpeg
Harrolds' flagship store storefront in Melbourne. Image Credit: Landini Associates/Trevor Mein

In an effort to adapt to the changing retail environment, Harrolds expanded its reach by launching an online store in 2020.

The online store boasted a collection from over 100 of the world's finest designer brands.

Despite its rich history, Harrolds has been quietly placed into liquidation earlier this month.

Liquidators from SMB Advisory revealed Harrolds’ staggering debt of more than $16 million owed to almost 90 creditors.

The list included outstanding debts to Victoria Beckham's company, two Tom Ford subsidiaries, American designer Thom Browne, Versace, and Stella McCartney, among others.

Harrolds' Managing Director, Ross Poulakis, expressed 'deep regret' over the decision.

'Despite our best efforts to adapt to the evolving economic environment, a combination of reduced luxury spending, decreased foot traffic, unprecedentedly high levels of CBD office vacancies and extremely unfavourable government policies has significantly impacted our ability to sustain operations,' Mr Poulakis shared in a statement.

'Unfortunately, the retail sector in Australia has been hit hard. Like many other retailers before us in this period, we have had to close our doors.'

The impact of Harrolds' downfall extended beyond the fashion labels.

Harrolds also owed their employees more than $190,000 in entitlements.

Various designers and luxury brands, including Feng Chen Wang, Mach & Mach, and Raffaele Caruso, were also left with unpaid bills.

The retailer also owed $2.3 million to one of its major creditors, The Australian Taxation Office (ATO).

Harrolds' closure marked the end of an era for luxury fashion in Australia. It also raised questions about the future of luxury retail in The Land Down Under.

For former employees and creditors, the path forward is uncertain.

SMB Advisory encouraged everyone affected by the liquidation to come forward and lodge claims.

As we witness the fall of Harrolds, it's a stark reminder that brands—no matter how luxurious or well-established—are not guaranteed survival in the volatile world of retail.
Key Takeaways

• Australian luxury fashion retailer Harrolds recently went into liquidation and owed $16 million to multiple creditors.
  • Harrolds, founded in 1985, was Australia's only privately owned luxury department store and had outlets in Melbourne, Sydney, and the Gold Coast.
  • The company accrued debt with a number of famous design houses, including Victoria Beckham, Tom Ford, Thom Browne, Versace, and Stella McCartney, among others.
  • The liquidation also affected employees and nearly 90 creditors, including the Australian Taxation Office, to which the company owed over $2.3 million.
Have you shopped at Harrolds before? What do you think this means for the future of luxury shopping in Australia? Join the conversation and share your thoughts with us in the comments section below.

Sponsored
Never heard of them either but then I have never been able to afford luxury items of any kind. It is beyond me why businesses let themselves get into so much debt before they wake up and do something about it. Surely they must realise the business is failing long before they have million dollar debts. Owners and their advisers, accountants who should know better should have their assets seized and sold off to help repay the debts, especially to the workers who end up out of pocket and out of a job through no fault of their own.

What drives businesses under is bad management decisions. They know from the outset what their costs are and are able to project their costs for a number of years. They can control their profit margins and build in projections for possible unforeseen costs. Blaming other bodies for failure is not really correct. There are of course a few unforeseen circumstances but it all boils down to bad management.
My opinion is that Australia has now cleared out most bad management businesses and is now on the cusp of developing good to great new businesses that will have new and exciting futures. I hope I am still around for this and look forward to enjoying it.
Sorry, but bad management is still rife in Australia..... grossly so.
Most of the companies I worked for (and there were some multinationals among those) were badly managed as they had accountants and lawyers running them, the worst.
Every time I tried to clamp down I was told to back off. I wasn't 'PLAYING THE GAME'

I have never seen the Aussie stores, but in the distant past I bought quite a few special things from Harrods in London. Most of them I still have. Hats, jewellery, fountain pens, clothing, luggage, all best quality but surprisingly reasonable prices. I’m not a keen shopper. I get the best I can afford and hang on to it. Whether from economic hardship or personal preference, in Australia we seem to like cheap and chinese for everything now.
cheap and Chinese for everything now. We donot have much choice these days as manufacturing in Australia has gone so no good items here anymore just cheep crap from over sea's china even if you get on fleabay (Ebay) it's all imported crap from china nothing made with quality about it the age of through away items china is winning like it or not this country is past it's use by date just imported cheap crape sold for 20 times what it cost to make and that includes all the top end "T" shirts sold down the coast in Victoria as well all comes from china and then they put 200% markup on it and the rest of us get stitched up we need a government with some balls to LEAD THIS COUNTRY BACK TO WHERE IT USED TO BE ON TOP hell we have everything now we let them just take it

Their stuff is absolute rubbish. Not worth what you pay for it. Wears out very quickly. Buy good quality & you get years of wear thus getting good value for money.
I have a couple of three piece classic suits (pants, skirt and jacket) which I had tailor made in Hong Kong in, would you believe it, 1990. Not cheap, but still going strong. One is a light blue and the other cream which I mix and match with many different tops, I still get complimented on my 34 year old suits these days,best buy I ever made.
At the other end if the spectrum I think I must be Temu's best customer. I like to have a large variety of everyday clothes and don't want them to last forever, because I get tired of them so am happy with their cheaper prices.

Anything to do with Harrolds of UK????? Only one I've ever heard of.
And it's about time Australia STOPPED letting companies get into this type of debt as it's the workers and other business that pay for it in the end.

The knock-on effect of this will be felt for many more months or years.
I think you are confusing them with Harrods in the UK. Harrolds was really an attempt to build a business based on imitating Harrods, but failed to move and change fast enough for the ever-evolving technical and business climate. The fact that they use the words 'unfavourable government policies' to justify their lack of innovation in a changing world says it all really. Our government policies are much the same as everywhere else in the world and are actually the result of global shifts and trade agreements, etc.

Reactions: BeautifulMousey
And it's about time Australia STOPPED letting companies get into this type of debt as it's the workers and other business that pay for it in the end.

The UK one is Harrods. This one is Harrolds, Never heard of them
Same here I used to love walking through d.j.s store in melb just window shopping of course as they were so expensive compared to Myers, but gee they had some beautiful stuff.😊 Oh and getting squirted with expensive perfume was good too.
Did you ever buy any windows. 😁

Reactions: Nevertiki

There is Harrods in England maybe that's who you're thinking of

Reactions: BeautifulMousey