Lung cancer treatment Tecentriq now available on Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme

Battling cancer is a long, tedious process that involves meticulous treatment.

Yet, Australians just saw a remarkable victory set to change several cancer patients' course.

A groundbreaking treatment for those fighting lung and liver cancer is now within reach, thanks to a benefits update.

The Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PSB) recently added the nation's first immunotherapy cancer jab, Tecentriq, to its long list of medicines.

Prior to being added to the PBS, Tecentriq was only available as an expensive and time-consuming infusion.

Now, it will be accessible as a simple, seven-minute injection.

compressed-tecentriq.jpeg
Tecentriq is now available for lung and liver cancer patients in need of treatment. Image Credit: Healthline

The price of this life-saving treatment has been slashed from $120,000 annually to $133.40 for concession card holders.

General patients may access Tecentriq for $547.70.

Tecentriq activates the immune system to target and kill cancer cells.

This treatment offers a beacon of hope for those battling these formidable diseases.

Melbourne local and lung cancer patient Kon Adamis believed that this development will be transformative for him and his fellow patients.

After being diagnosed with an aggressive form of lung cancer and given only four months to live, Tecentriq helped him defy the odds.

'This will help people tremendously,' Adamis said, expressing the collective relief and gratitude of many patients who could benefit from this treatment.

Health Minister Mark Butler highlighted the importance of this development.

'It's going to be great for patients, giving them access to this life-saving treatment in a convenient injective form at PBS prices,' Minister Butler stated.

'For our hospital systems that are under real stress, it's going to be an enormous relief as well.'

Monash Health's Deputy Director of Medical Oncology and Associate Professor Surein Arulananda emphasised the significant difference this immunotherapy injection could make for patients.

The shift from hospital-based treatments to potentially receiving home care could mark a profound improvement in patients' quality of life.

A few months ago, the PBS introduced Verzenio, a drug that could prevent the recurrence of high-risk breast cancer in their roster of medicines.

Thanks to the PBS, a two-year course of Verzenio, which typically costs $100,000, is now lowered to $7.70 per month for concession card holders, and $31.60 for general patients.

As we celebrate another milestone, this may be the beginning of a new era in cancer treatment.

With Minister Butler hinting at more developments, the future looks promising for cancer patients nationwide.

If you or a loved one is battling cancer, talk to your oncologist about Tecentriq and its availability through PBS.

This cancer jab could be a turning point in people’s fight against cancer.
Key Takeaways

• The immunotherapy cancer jab, Tecentriq, has been added to the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme, significantly reducing the cost for lung and liver cancer patients nationwide.
  • Tecentriq prices have been reduced from $120,000 a year to $133.40 for concession card holders and $547.70 for general patients.
  • The treatment time for Tecentriq will decrease from one hour to a quick seven-minute injection, easing the burden on both patients and hospital systems.
  • Health Minister Mark Butler hinted at more developments that could benefit cancer patients soon.
Have you or someone you know been affected by lung or liver cancer? What impact do you think this new treatment option will have on the lives of patients and their families? Share your thoughts and insights with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
Sounds good but there is a strong BUT here, Immunotherapy drugs are not suitable for every one who has any form of cancer. a certain protein in the blood of every cancer patient has to be present in order for an immunotherapy drug to help or work, I have the deadliest form of lung cancer which has spread to my brain, my oncologists have informed me that immunotherapy will not work for me as I do not have that particular protein in my blood, so as I said there is a strong BUT to this announcement, as good as it sounds it will not work for every person who has Cancer.

Sounds good but there is a strong BUT here, Immunotherapy drugs are not suitable for every one who has any form of cancer. a certain protein in the blood of every cancer patient has to be present in order for an immunotherapy drug to help or work, I have the deadliest form of lung cancer which has spread to my brain, my oncologists have informed me that immunotherapy will not work for me as I do not have that particular protein in my blood, so as I said there is a strong BUT to this announcement, as good as it sounds it will not work for every person who has Cancer.
Having so far survived lung cancer through surgery, but am at the moment treated for brain tumours, I can fully understand what have been and are going through and can only wish you the luck in your fight to combat this insidious disease.

Having so far survived lung cancer through surgery, but am at the moment treated for brain tumours, I can fully understand what have been and are going through and can only wish you the luck in your fight to combat this insidious disease.
Thank you I wish you luck also, my diagnosis of Lung Cancer was not my first fight, I beat bowel Cancer 2 years ago only to be told that I NOW had lung cancer late last year, so here we go again. surgery was not an option this time around so the usual umpteen rounds of Chemo and Radiation therapy has been administered and suffered through, I was told I now have a brain tumour a few weeks ago so a dose of Stereostatic Radiosurgery will be administered next week its a one shot dose which is designed to eliminate the tumour from its present site but with my brand of cancer another tumour will make itself known somewhere else sometime in the future as there is no known complete cure, I will just have to live with it for as long as I am able. I wish you all the luck possible in your fight with this terrible disease.

Thank you I wish you luck also, my diagnosis of Lung Cancer was not my first fight, I beat bowel Cancer 2 years ago only to be told that I NOW had lung cancer late last year, so here we go again. surgery was not an option this time around so the usual umpteen rounds of Chemo and Radiation therapy has been administered and suffered through, I was told I now have a brain tumour a few weeks ago so a dose of Stereostatic Radiosurgery will be administered next week its a one shot dose which is designed to eliminate the tumour from its present site but with my brand of cancer another tumour will make itself known somewhere else sometime in the future as there is no known complete cure, I will just have to live with it for as long as I am able. I wish you all the luck possible in your fight with this terrible disease.
When I go for a Colonoscopy I tell the oncologist that performs it, if he sees a bright white circle on the opposite wall he pushed the camera to far up as my stomach was the first to go. Even though it's gallows humour at least I haven';t lost that ability. FAIR WIND AND A FOLLOWING SEA.

Unfortunately not every treatment is satisfactory to everyone. Sorry for the ones it isn't suitable for but good luck for those it is. ❤️ I lost my partner to bowel cancer 25 years ago. 3 weeks after it was diagnosed.

Last edited:
Dear Mr Butler,

You say,"'For our hospital systems that are under real stress, it's going to be an enormous relief as well.'

Why are our public hospitals, or rather the staff in them, under real stress? Could it be because they are State-run and that State governments, such as the Liberal Party in Tasmania has promised to pay $750 000 000 to build an AFL stadium for the AFL at we taxpayers' cost and that the Federal ALP may be fronting up with $240 000 000 of taxpayers' money, as part of that $750 000 000, to assist?

Could it be that the infamous LNP's (Morrison, remember) income tax cuts, primarily benefitting Australia's top end of town and supported by the ALP together with the advertising on TV, is cutting government income to the point that it can afford to donate the said $750 000 000 to the AFL?

Could it be that the ALP does not want to increase the Medicare payments so that we can afford to see a GP rather than taking our kids to the Emergency Department for what are relatively minor ailments that should be dealt with by a GP (perish the thought that dentistry should be part of the public health system!)?

Could it be that the ALP has NEVER had the courage to do what the 1945-1950 British Labour Government did in 1948, bring in the British National Health Service that still functions today despite the desire of all post-1979 governments, Tory and Labour, to wreck it?

Last edited:
Dear Mr Butler,

You say,"'For our hospital systems that are under real stress, it's going to be an enormous relief as well.'

Why are our public hospitals, or rather the staff in them, under real stress? Could it be because they are State-run and that State governments, such as the Liberal Party in Tasmania has promised to pay $750 000 000 to build an AFL stadium for the AFL at we taxpayers' cost and that the Federal ALP may be fronting up with $240 000 000 of taxpayers' money. as part of that $750 000 000 to assist?

Could it be that the infamous LNP income tax cuts, primarily benefitting Austraia's top end of town and supported by the ALP together with the advertising on TV, is cutting goverment icome to the point that it can afford donating said $750 000 000 to the AFL?

Could it be that the ALP does not want to increase the Medicare payments so that we can afford to see a GP rather take our kids to the Emergency Department for what are relatively minor ailments that should be dealt with by a GP (perish the thought that dentistry should be part of the public health system!)?

Could it be that the ALP has never had the courage to do what the 19145-1950 British Labour Government did in 1948, bring in the British National Health Service that still functions today despite the desire of all post-1979 governments, Tory and Labour, to wreck it?
Spot on (y)

Is that for just one shot of the stuff, or is it for a year's supply or.........?

Last November, for blokes with prostate cancer, Darolutamide became available via the PBS. It's a pill that helps shrivel the willy etc and restricts/slows/whatever the growth of prostate cancer and a month's supply cost $31.60c.The full cost would be close to $40 000 pa.

And back to COVID for my dear readers and admirers. The course of 15 pills to help knock the virus on the head costs about $1100 but comes via the PBS at $31.60c. Therefore it is cheaper to get vaxxed at $19.90c; that saves you, the individual $11.80c, and that is a supermarket bargain saving!

Last edited:
Is that for just one shot of the stuff, or is it for a year's supply or.........?

Last November, for blokes with prostate cancer, Darolutamide became available via the PBS. It's a pill that helps shrivel the willy etc and restricts/slows/whatever the growth of prostate cancer and a month's supply cost $31.60c.The full cost would be close to $40 000 pa.

And back to COVID for my dear readers and admirers. The course of 15 pills to help knock the virus on the head costs about $1100 but comes via the PBS at $31.60c. Therefore it is cheaper to get vaxxed at $19.90c; that saves you, the individual $11.80c, and that is a supermarket bargain saving!
$31.60 ×12 =$379 .20

Any new breakthrough in cancer treatments is great, being able to access them is even better, so all cancer treatment drugs need to be on he PBS so everyone can afford the treatment.
If I remember When first diagnosed my treatment 3500.00 a pop and when I said I was private it went to I think 350.00 Then as a pensioner 5.50 a pop

• Wow
Reactions: Ezzy and Iggydi
Good news for concession card holders. (y)
But what happens for those that are not concession card holders.
As I read it, their annual charge has reduced from $120,000 down to $547 which is about $10 per week. Not a bad bargain.

Reactions: Viellarde

A years supply.

As I read it, their annual charge has reduced from $120,000 down to $547 which is about $10 per week. Not a bad bargain.
A month is 28 days which equates to 13 months therefore 28 X 13 =364 days.
All this equates to $42.13 per month approximately.
As you stated, not a bad bargain for an injection which could save the life of a person who is not on a Concession Card.