Love Vegemite? You can now get Vegemite-flavoured WHAT at Coles?!

Aussies have always been a creative bunch when it comes to food. We love experimenting with new flavours, and we're always coming up with new ways to enjoy our favourite dishes.

So it should come as no surprise that one of our most iconic spreads, Vegemite, has now found its way onto one of our other national treasures: the humble roast chicken!

You read that right, members - Coles has combined two of Australia's most beloved food items to create the ultimate flavour combination.

Introducing the Coles Vegemite BBQ Hot Roast Chicken, which is set to be a hit with Aussies who love nothing more than tucking into a juicy roast chicken - with a Vegemite twist! Oh, and it's also stuffed with Bega cheese.

Screen Shot 2022-11-11 at 9.23.39 AM.png
Coles is now selling roast chicken flavoured with Vegemite. Credit: News.com.au.

Matt Gray, Bega Foods' General Manager of Marketing, said: 'Following the successful launch of our limited-edition Mitey Meals labels earlier this year, we are so pleased to be able to bring our customers another way to enjoy Vegemite with Coles' BBQ Hot Roast Chicken.'

'This product is set to be a favourite across the summer months, particularly for those looking to get their Vegemite fix any time of the day.'

For those not in the know, adding Vegemite to foods is a great way to enhance savoury flavours.

This clever idea sparked the creation of this unique dish, which combines the deliciousness of Coles' Hot Roast Chicken with the unmistakable taste of Vegemite. Trust us when we say that this is one culinary experience you won't want to miss!

But what do other Aussies think about it? On the popular forum website Reddit, users shared their opinions on the 'unusual' combination, and let's just say, the comments were pretty divided.

'I can get behind Vegemite chicken but draw the line at cheese stuffing,' one of the users complained, while another went on to say: 'If we could get some garlic bread in there as stuffing, I might actually give it a crack.'

Others, on the other hand, admitted they were excited about the news. 'I don't know about stuffing it with cheese but slathering a roast chicken in Vegemite and butter before cooking is actually pretty tasty,' said a third.

A fourth added, 'What could possibly be wrong with Vegemite and cheese with chicken? Sounds pretty good to me!'

Coles Product Developer for Seafood & Deli, Tim Hickox, said: 'Coles Hot Roast Chickens are in the top three of the best-selling products in store, but we are always looking to make them more attractive to customers.'

'We know our customers love our hot roast chickens, and we know how much they love Vegemite, so merging the two to create a delicious spin on a fan favourite was a must-do.'

'We always want to delight our customers, giving them something they have never had before. We have spent many months ensuring we have nailed the perfect flavour profile so that our customers still get the taste of two iconic products they love, in an exciting new way.'

Available from Friday, 11 November, the brand-new Coles Vegemite BBQ Hot Roast Chicken from the Deli are available in select Coles stores nationally for $13 each.

So if you're a fan of Vegemite, or you're just curious to see what all the fuss is about, be sure to head to your local Coles and give this unique dish a try.

Bon appetit!

Sponsored
Aussies have always been a creative bunch when it comes to food. We love experimenting with new flavours, and we're always coming up with new ways to enjoy our favourite dishes.

So it should come as no surprise that one of our most iconic spreads, Vegemite, has now found its way onto one of our other national treasures: the humble roast chicken!

You read that right, members - Coles has combined two of Australia's most beloved food items to create the ultimate flavour combination.

Introducing the Coles Vegemite BBQ Hot Roast Chicken, which is set to be a hit with Aussies who love nothing more than tucking into a juicy roast chicken - with a Vegemite twist! Oh, and it's also stuffed with Bega cheese.

View attachment 8741
Coles is now selling roast chicken flavoured with Vegemite. Credit: News.com.au.

Matt Gray, Bega Foods' General Manager of Marketing, said: 'Following the successful launch of our limited-edition Mitey Meals labels earlier this year, we are so pleased to be able to bring our customers another way to enjoy Vegemite with Coles' BBQ Hot Roast Chicken.'

'This product is set to be a favourite across the summer months, particularly for those looking to get their Vegemite fix any time of the day.'

For those not in the know, adding Vegemite to foods is a great way to enhance savoury flavours.

This clever idea sparked the creation of this unique dish, which combines the deliciousness of Coles' Hot Roast Chicken with the unmistakable taste of Vegemite. Trust us when we say that this is one culinary experience you won't want to miss!

But what do other Aussies think about it? On the popular forum website Reddit, users shared their opinions on the 'unusual' combination, and let's just say, the comments were pretty divided.

'I can get behind Vegemite chicken but draw the line at cheese stuffing,' one of the users complained, while another went on to say: 'If we could get some garlic bread in there as stuffing, I might actually give it a crack.'

Others, on the other hand, admitted they were excited about the news. 'I don't know about stuffing it with cheese but slathering a roast chicken in Vegemite and butter before cooking is actually pretty tasty,' said a third.

A fourth added, 'What could possibly be wrong with Vegemite and cheese with chicken? Sounds pretty good to me!'

Coles Product Developer for Seafood & Deli, Tim Hickox, said: 'Coles Hot Roast Chickens are in the top three of the best-selling products in store, but we are always looking to make them more attractive to customers.'

'We know our customers love our hot roast chickens, and we know how much they love Vegemite, so merging the two to create a delicious spin on a fan favourite was a must-do.'

'We always want to delight our customers, giving them something they have never had before. We have spent many months ensuring we have nailed the perfect flavour profile so that our customers still get the taste of two iconic products they love, in an exciting new way.'

Available from Friday, 11 November, the brand-new Coles Vegemite BBQ Hot Roast Chicken from the Deli are available in select Coles stores nationally for $13 each.

So if you're a fan of Vegemite, or you're just curious to see what all the fuss is about, be sure to head to your local Coles and give this unique dish a try.

Bon appetit!

When we were visiting relatives in Malaysia, they used to order Marmite chicken wings which is a favorite dish among the dinners. I was sceptical at first but it was yummy. It wasn't too salty either.

View attachment 8741

Bon appetit!

View attachment 8741

Bon appetit!

When I do a roast chicken, I add a teaspoon of Vegemite when I'm stirring the gravy for a bit of extra flavour.
With the Coles Vegemite chicken, it would depend on how much Vegemite they use as to whether it would be enjoyable for me.
I do enjoy the Arnott's Cheese and Vegemite Shapes....I was given a box for my birthday.Screenshot_20221112-104031.png

Last edited:

View attachment 8741

Bon appetit!

Mmmm - I don't know I'd like a chook done with Vegemite stuffed with cheese. The cheese part is just wrong, and though Vegemite is great for stock and things, it's a beef product.

I have used Vegemite in casseroles and stews.
Love a little on toast with butter.
Will have an ocassional cheese and Vegemite sandwich
But have no intention of having a Vegemite chicken 😕
I'm with you, love Vegemite, on toast, crumpets, as a sandwich, as a flavour boost in stews, casseroles sometimes even soup. BUT never will I
entertain having a Vegemite Chicken. Some things are sacred

Love vegemite on toast with Bega strong and bitey cheese melted but with roast chook no not willing to pay $13 in these economic times to try to see if I like without being able to taste first - maybe some free tastings in stores?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Tervueren and Ricci