Locals want this creek renamed over concerns of racism. Do you agree?

Depending on who you ask, facing our nation’s history head-on can either be a blessing or a curse.

In Australia’s past there have been clashes that resulted in Indigenous Australians being hurt — or worse.

While we want all Aussies, regardless of descent, to live freely and in peace, we must also accept that changes have to be made to make that possible.

One such change was when the Queensland Government removed the use of the name ‘N***** Head’ from official records in 2017 after a survey then revealed ten places in the state using the slur.

At the time, there was much talk about giving Aboriginal Australians greater recognition of their role in history.

skjgblshbg.png
Recent developments have given attention once again to renaming Murdering Creek Road. Credit: news.com.au

Perhaps an enduring effect of this change across Australia is that many locals are now speaking out against the remaining names of places they deem racist and colonialist.

Recently, the Queensland Government also announced that it was formally renaming Fraser Island to K’gari to recognise the racism brought upon the local Butchulla people by Eliza Fraser, who spread damaging stories about her experience being stranded on the island in 1836.

Local consultations were held early this October, while the formal name change is expected to take effect before the year’s end.

Meanwhile, on the Sunshine Coast, residents are still lobbying for the name of Murdering Creek Road and its namesake Murdering Creek to be replaced.

Advocates for the cause point out the names should be changed because of a massacre of Indigenous people in the area in the 1860s.

Local Sue Norman, who approved of Fraser Island’s name change back to K’gari when she heard the news, said it was the right time to change the name of Murdering Creek Road.

‘(It’s a) terrible name and reminder,’ she said. ‘It should be changed.’

site_0630_0001-750-750-20071204165714.jpg
The Queensland Government held local consultations on changing the name of Fraser Island to K’gari. Credit: whc.unesco.org/Tourism Queensland

Previously, there was much discussion regarding whether renaming the creek was the right way to go about honouring Indigenous history.

In 2017, Indigenous resident Roselys Blaich urged the locals to think of a way to properly remember what happened to the area.

She told a local paper she was in favour of retaining the controversial name along with constructing a memorial to ‘properly recognise what happened’.

Other places in the country have also decided to change names over concerns related to racial and colonialist tensions in the past.

Key Takeaways

• Locals of one Sunshine coast town want the name 'Murdering Creek Road' replaced over concerns of racism.
  • The name is said to have been taken from a massacre of Indigenous people in the 1860s.
  • In 2017, the Queensland Government struck down the use of a slur in official records after a census revealed some places were still using it.
  • More recently, they also conducted local consultations in Fraser Island to honour its Indigenous name 'K'gari'.
In July, talks started for two creeks near Cairns to be renamed Bana Gindarja and Watyakan, respectively, after an outcry from some locals for their previous racially-charged names ‘Blackfellow Creek’ and ‘Black G** Creek’.

What are your thoughts on this? Should the authorities change the names of roads and places that refer to the era of colonisation?

Share your opinions with us in the comments below. We’d love to hear them.

Source: YouTube/SBS The Feed

Sponsored
I am tired of hearing about changing names to placate the few. History is part of our makeup and it cannot be changed no matter how undesirable it is. These things happened and no matter what one does it cannot be changed/rectified so leave it alone. The same goes for Australia Day, it is what it is. Australia is not the only country that has a sad history so just let it be and get on with making the future a better place for everyone no matter what your heritage is. "We are one we are many"

Suzanne, you have hit the nail on the head. It does not seem to matter that some other words may be an insult to some people that does not matter. AND all this rubbish about not singing our National anthem because it is an insult to some people from other countries...if we moved there are they going to change things for us...I do not think so. We have to stop all this c..p.

I know I'm going to ruffle up some feathers here but I would like to say straight away that I am not a racist and never have been. I have many multi cultured friends in my adult life and went to school with many Indigenous kids too. I refuse to say Sorry as I was not part of the generation that stole the children. I don't see too many people coming forward to say sorry to the white women of the 50's and 60's who had their children taken away from them because they were unwed and would bring shame to the family. History is exactly that, history and cannot be changed no matter what you do or say. Tearing down a statue will not change what happened. Protesting in the street, burning flags etc., will not change what happened. Changing "the date" for Australia Day will not change a thing. What happened in the past is done and dusted and we should be concentrating on what's going to happen in the future. The word colonisation has been used all over the word but now all the do gooders want that word deleting from our language/history. I'm getting sick of all the PC'ing of everything, we can't say this, we can't say that, you can't do this, you can't do that because you will offend someone. Australia is full of different cultures and should learn to live together as one. I was born in England and grew up being referred to as a POM and this did not bother me at all. When I worked in the UK for 8 years I was referred to as the Antipodean or the Convict. Again, this did not bother me. I acknowledge that the Indigenous suffered greatly at the hands of the Colonists and I find it disgusting at what happened to them but as I said, I wasn't part of it so will not apologise for it. Sure, some names are detrimental and should be changed but others should be left alone or else we may as well just change names of everything in Australia to suit the Indigenous. They were the true Australians, but how much more do we have to do to acknowledge this. They are the ones that are segregating themselves, not us. They are not the only race that are being 'picked on', we all get picked on at one time or another but you just have to get on with it. I'm sick of hearing about the way they are treated, regarding crimes/prison/police. It happens to the whites as well. My attitude is if you don't do anything wrong, you wont get in trouble. Are we supposed to have two separate rules for whites and blacks with different punishments. I think not. If you do the crime, you should do the time regardless of creed or colour.

Reactions: Janmf and Vet543
Has anyone done a search on Murdering Hut Creek/Road/or any other variation of the location.
Rutherglen Vic. Nanango, Qld, Sunshine Coast, Qld, Murdering Creek, near Ebor, New England Tableland. Also Moonie Creek near Chinchilla Qld I haven't even looked at WA, SA, NT or Tassie. What about Blacksoil near Ipswich? Should it be changed to Coloured Sands?
Wait a minute, Should we rename Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide or all towns named after Early Australian Dignatories.
LOOK MY SKIN IS WHITE (Well, nearly it is sun damaged) I don't call Indigenous People Racist because they point and call me Whitey.
Wake up, and stop being little cry-babies, GROW-UP...

I know I'm going to ruffle up some feathers here but I would like to say straight away that I am not a racist and never have been. I have many multi cultured friends in my adult life and went to school with many Indigenous kids too. I refuse to say Sorry as I was not part of the generation that stole the children. I don't see too many people coming forward to say sorry to the white women of the 50's and 60's who had their children taken away from them because they were unwed and would bring shame to the family. History is exactly that, history and cannot be changed no matter what you do or say. Tearing down a statue will not change what happened. Protesting in the street, burning flags etc., will not change what happened. Changing "the date" for Australia Day will not change a thing. What happened in the past is done and dusted and we should be concentrating on what's going to happen in the future. The word colonisation has been used all over the word but now all the do gooders want that word deleting from our language/history. I'm getting sick of all the PC'ing of everything, we can't say this, we can't say that, you can't do this, you can't do that because you will offend someone. Australia is full of different cultures and should learn to live together as one. I was born in England and grew up being referred to as a POM and this did not bother me at all. When I worked in the UK for 8 years I was referred to as the Antipodean or the Convict. Again, this did not bother me. I acknowledge that the Indigenous suffered greatly at the hands of the Colonists and I find it disgusting at what happened to them but as I said, I wasn't part of it so will not apologise for it. Sure, some names are detrimental and should be changed but others should be left alone or else we may as well just change names of everything in Australia to suit the Indigenous. They were the true Australians, but how much more do we have to do to acknowledge this. They are the ones that are segregating themselves, not us. They are not the only race that are being 'picked on', we all get picked on at one time or another but you just have to get on with it. I'm sick of hearing about the way they are treated, regarding crimes/prison/police. It happens to the whites as well. My attitude is if you don't do anything wrong, you wont get in trouble. Are we supposed to have two separate rules for whites and blacks with different punishments. I think not. If you do the crime, you should do the time regardless of creed or colour.
I agree with you why should everything get changed for the minority, i won’t say sorry either my dad was brought here from England from the Dr Barnados homes and was treated probably worse than a lot of aborigines he was never told sorry. I’m with you why should every name be changed I would like to know how a name causes so much grief. Everywhere everyday at schools business and other places they thank the past and present elders. It’s not the what’s man who tells them to drink do drugs or sexual abuse their kids I think it’s time that all people should stand up and take account of what they are doing now not what happened 100s of years ago. These days it’s so easy to play the victim.

Enough of this crap, leave things as they are. Just quietly what was here before white man came? Answer it with complete honesty. What was the name of the place? Bet it wasn't Australia!
The aboriginal people never had a name for Australia they only had names for surrounding areas.

Matthew Flinders named the land Terra Australis, which was later abbreviated to the current form. Previously, when the Dutch explored the area they named it Nova Hollandicus or New Holland I think this was sometime in the 1600s

An Interesting thing is the British government originally wanted to name Australia, New South Wales.

Then you had Tasmania which the Dutch originally named Van Diemans Land then it was changed to Tasmanian through Abel Tasman

I loved and still love Australian history , unfortunately they don't teach enough of Australian history in schools any more

Depending on who you ask, facing our nation’s history head-on can either be a blessing or a curse.

In Australia’s past there have been clashes that resulted in Indigenous Australians being hurt — or worse.

While we want all Aussies, regardless of descent, to live freely and in peace, we must also accept that changes have to be made to make that possible.

One such change was when the Queensland Government removed the use of the name ‘N***** Head’ from official records in 2017 after a survey then revealed ten places in the state using the slur.

At the time, there was much talk about giving Aboriginal Australians greater recognition of their role in history.

View attachment 8001
Recent developments have given attention once again to renaming Murdering Creek Road. Credit: news.com.au

Perhaps an enduring effect of this change across Australia is that many locals are now speaking out against the remaining names of places they deem racist and colonialist.

Recently, the Queensland Government also announced that it was formally renaming Fraser Island to K’gari to recognise the racism brought upon the local Butchulla people by Eliza Fraser, who spread damaging stories about her experience being stranded on the island in 1836.

Local consultations were held early this October, while the formal name change is expected to take effect before the year’s end.

Meanwhile, on the Sunshine Coast, residents are still lobbying for the name of Murdering Creek Road and its namesake Murdering Creek to be replaced.

Advocates for the cause point out the names should be changed because of a massacre of Indigenous people in the area in the 1860s.

Local Sue Norman, who approved of Fraser Island’s name change back to K’gari when she heard the news, said it was the right time to change the name of Murdering Creek Road.

View attachment 8000
The Queensland Government held local consultations on changing the name of Fraser Island to K’gari. Credit: whc.unesco.org/Tourism Queensland

Previously, there was much discussion regarding whether renaming the creek was the right way to go about honouring Indigenous history.

In 2017, Indigenous resident Roselys Blaich urged the locals to think of a way to properly remember what happened to the area.

She told a local paper she was in favour of retaining the controversial name along with constructing a memorial to ‘properly recognise what happened’.

Other places in the country have also decided to change names over concerns related to racial and colonialist tensions in the past.

Key Takeaways

• Locals of one Sunshine coast town want the name 'Murdering Creek Road' replaced over concerns of racism.
  • The name is said to have been taken from a massacre of Indigenous people in the 1860s.
  • In 2017, the Queensland Government struck down the use of a slur in official records after a census revealed some places were still using it.
  • More recently, they also conducted local consultations in Fraser Island to honour its Indigenous name 'K'gari'.
In July, talks started for two creeks near Cairns to be renamed Bana Gindarja and Watyakan, respectively, after an outcry from some locals for their previous racially-charged names ‘Blackfellow Creek’ and ‘Black G** Creek’.

What are your thoughts on this? Should the authorities change the names of roads and places that refer to the era of colonisation?

Must be blow-ins from Victoria, genuine locals wouldn't want it changed as it's a reflection of local history, I'm sure Aboriginals would prefer to keep the reminder of what happened less we forget

Reactions: Suzanne rose

View attachment 8001

View attachment 8000

Key Takeaways

Changing names is silly. Are they going to change every name that offends indigenous? There is a Murdering Creek near Cairns.

View attachment 8001

View attachment 8000

Key Takeaways

View attachment 8001

View attachment 8000

Key Takeaways

View attachment 8001

View attachment 8000

Key Takeaways

I live in the area and drive down Murdering Creek Road to my home. I agree with Roselys Blaich. We should keep the name. What happened in the past cannot be changed but it must not be

South Africa fought hard to repeal apartheid, America fought hard against segregation.
Here we are stepping back in time and embracing the division of the nation.
Treating a small percentage of the population as untouchable and elevating their status is creating a great divide - in other words apartheid is alive and well in Australia!

View attachment 8001

View attachment 8000

Key Takeaways

What a crock of shite.
This first nation thing is getting out of hand.
And I thought the COON cheese /Cheer cheese thing was over the top.
I have been eating COON cheese all my life but when they renamed it Thein I changed brands.
The cheese company's founder was George Coon for god's sake. Is he supposed to change his name to George Cheer?

Ok I always get myself in trouble on this topic.

I'm a believer that the past is behind us and we need to look to the future.

I'm one that don't believe we should be the ones to say sorry to the aboriginal people instead it should be the English Government and The Crown. It was them that slaughtered the aboriginal people and its those who took their land.
Alot of the early settlement consisted of convicts from England and Ireland, some were murderers but most were thief's and were here for stealing as little as a loaf of bread.
They never wanted to be in Van Diemans land.

It's time we live together and by things such as name changing comes up it just causes more separation.

We get into trouble if we call someone a black fella but nothing is said if a white man is called white fella . My great uncle was married to an aboriginal lady and her family always called him Snowy or white fella

Why is discrimination only against one colour ?

we need to be equal and treated as equals

Why not change the name to something that represents Australia instead of a name that many won't be able to say, why not something like Eucalyptus drive or pelican River

We talk about the stolen generation but this also happened to young white girls. In the 50s and 60s unmarried girls were forced to adopt their babies out. That's also a stollen generation.

It's time we move on and become one
Agree wholeheartedly. Let's just stop the divide and be as one. Same rights for all human kind

What a crock of shite.
This first nation thing is getting out of hand.
And I thought the COON cheese /Cheer cheese thing was over the top.
I have been eating COON cheese all my life but when they renamed it Thein I changed brands.
The cheese company's founder was George Coon for god's sake. Is he supposed to change his name to George Cheer?
Yes exactly , and because of this divide I will never buy this cheese again

Not into all this name changing and pandering but I think this one Murdering Creek should be renamed, nobody should like that name

No matter what these places are called it is all past History. History isn't for us to change to suit one peoples or another. It is there for us to learn from.

When I was young & lived in grey England there was a footpath called Murder Lane because that is what happened there, a body was found hidden in a hallow tree. This was used as a learning tool for parents of kids who liked to wander. ie Don't go down Murder lane it could happen to you! I was one of the kids who loved to go places I was not supposed to. But here I am living in Blue Australia at 85 still going strong even though I often went down Murder lane.