Locals want this creek renamed over concerns of racism. Do you agree?

Depending on who you ask, facing our nation’s history head-on can either be a blessing or a curse.

In Australia’s past there have been clashes that resulted in Indigenous Australians being hurt — or worse.

While we want all Aussies, regardless of descent, to live freely and in peace, we must also accept that changes have to be made to make that possible.

One such change was when the Queensland Government removed the use of the name ‘N***** Head’ from official records in 2017 after a survey then revealed ten places in the state using the slur.

At the time, there was much talk about giving Aboriginal Australians greater recognition of their role in history.

skjgblshbg.png
Recent developments have given attention once again to renaming Murdering Creek Road. Credit: news.com.au

Perhaps an enduring effect of this change across Australia is that many locals are now speaking out against the remaining names of places they deem racist and colonialist.

Recently, the Queensland Government also announced that it was formally renaming Fraser Island to K’gari to recognise the racism brought upon the local Butchulla people by Eliza Fraser, who spread damaging stories about her experience being stranded on the island in 1836.

Local consultations were held early this October, while the formal name change is expected to take effect before the year’s end.

Meanwhile, on the Sunshine Coast, residents are still lobbying for the name of Murdering Creek Road and its namesake Murdering Creek to be replaced.

Advocates for the cause point out the names should be changed because of a massacre of Indigenous people in the area in the 1860s.

Local Sue Norman, who approved of Fraser Island’s name change back to K’gari when she heard the news, said it was the right time to change the name of Murdering Creek Road.

‘(It’s a) terrible name and reminder,’ she said. ‘It should be changed.’

site_0630_0001-750-750-20071204165714.jpg
The Queensland Government held local consultations on changing the name of Fraser Island to K’gari. Credit: whc.unesco.org/Tourism Queensland

Previously, there was much discussion regarding whether renaming the creek was the right way to go about honouring Indigenous history.

In 2017, Indigenous resident Roselys Blaich urged the locals to think of a way to properly remember what happened to the area.

She told a local paper she was in favour of retaining the controversial name along with constructing a memorial to ‘properly recognise what happened’.

Other places in the country have also decided to change names over concerns related to racial and colonialist tensions in the past.

Key Takeaways

• Locals of one Sunshine coast town want the name 'Murdering Creek Road' replaced over concerns of racism.
  • The name is said to have been taken from a massacre of Indigenous people in the 1860s.
  • In 2017, the Queensland Government struck down the use of a slur in official records after a census revealed some places were still using it.
  • More recently, they also conducted local consultations in Fraser Island to honour its Indigenous name 'K'gari'.
In July, talks started for two creeks near Cairns to be renamed Bana Gindarja and Watyakan, respectively, after an outcry from some locals for their previous racially-charged names ‘Blackfellow Creek’ and ‘Black G** Creek’.

What are your thoughts on this? Should the authorities change the names of roads and places that refer to the era of colonisation?

Share your opinions with us in the comments below. We’d love to hear them.

Source: YouTube/SBS The Feed

Sponsored
Too much pandering to Aboriginals, the gov will do anything to make headlines. Next they'll rename the town of Gin Gin? And what of the title The Fraser Coast? gunna call it K'gari coast? and they'll rename the Black Butt trees or the town of Blackall cause some non white person will be offended, I'm a white Anglo Saxon, ancestors been here as Free Settlers since mid 1800, I get called Whitey, white man/boy. Snow, paleskin etc so do many other Aussies, but we don't go crying to all the human rights orgs, councils etc

Time to stop all this A^^licking and move on
Yes GinGin should be renamed to PersonPerson and no more Black tea or coffee nor can we enjoy a flat white or even white Coffee and now we have the Government proposing that the First Nations People be provided with a voice in Parliament but they have had the same voice as the rest of us for over fifty years. Were there wrongs in the past certainly.
Even in their own culture the sins of the parents were not visited on their Children. Please let us coexist in today and not go seeking trouble where none exists.

Name changing all very well, but how do you pronounce them, even the aboriginals didn't speak the same languages across the country. Ernie Dingo (he kept his whitefella name) once quoted that there were more than 5000 aboriginal languages.
How the heck do you even pronounce K apostrophe gari ???

I am so over all this opposition to the reference to black people. It is only since the aboriginals became white that they started to hate the reference to black people. If we think about it in their nuance ways then they are racist. As part aboriginal I can say this! If you think I am racist then in what way?

Reactions: Me-Ant
Name changing all very well, but how do you pronounce them, even the aboriginals didn't speak the same languages across the country. Ernie Dingo (he kept his whitefella name) once quoted that there were more than 5000 aboriginal languages.
How the heck do you even pronounce K apostrophe gari ???
So true. How do you pronounce it when it is spelt in White Man; and Aboriginals didn't have written language through over 300 tribes and thousands of family clans? Am I racist in asking a question??

Reactions: Me-Ant
So, if a group of crows is called a MURDER, is that name also going to be renamed? Where is the re-naming going to stop?

Reactions: Ian1
I am so over all this opposition to the reference to black people. It is only since the aboriginals became white that they started to hate the reference to black people. If we think about it in their nuance ways then they are racist. As part aboriginal I can say this! If you think I am racist then in what way?
Racism is a PIGMENT of the imagination!

• Haha
Reactions: Ian1 and Hieme
Depending on who you ask, facing our nation’s history head-on can either be a blessing or a curse.

In Australia’s past there have been clashes that resulted in Indigenous Australians being hurt — or worse.

While we want all Aussies, regardless of descent, to live freely and in peace, we must also accept that changes have to be made to make that possible.

One such change was when the Queensland Government removed the use of the name ‘N***** Head’ from official records in 2017 after a survey then revealed ten places in the state using the slur.

At the time, there was much talk about giving Aboriginal Australians greater recognition of their role in history.

View attachment 8001
Recent developments have given attention once again to renaming Murdering Creek Road. Credit: news.com.au

Perhaps an enduring effect of this change across Australia is that many locals are now speaking out against the remaining names of places they deem racist and colonialist.

Recently, the Queensland Government also announced that it was formally renaming Fraser Island to K’gari to recognise the racism brought upon the local Butchulla people by Eliza Fraser, who spread damaging stories about her experience being stranded on the island in 1836.

Local consultations were held early this October, while the formal name change is expected to take effect before the year’s end.

Meanwhile, on the Sunshine Coast, residents are still lobbying for the name of Murdering Creek Road and its namesake Murdering Creek to be replaced.

Advocates for the cause point out the names should be changed because of a massacre of Indigenous people in the area in the 1860s.

Local Sue Norman, who approved of Fraser Island’s name change back to K’gari when she heard the news, said it was the right time to change the name of Murdering Creek Road.

View attachment 8000
The Queensland Government held local consultations on changing the name of Fraser Island to K’gari. Credit: whc.unesco.org/Tourism Queensland

Previously, there was much discussion regarding whether renaming the creek was the right way to go about honouring Indigenous history.

In 2017, Indigenous resident Roselys Blaich urged the locals to think of a way to properly remember what happened to the area.

She told a local paper she was in favour of retaining the controversial name along with constructing a memorial to ‘properly recognise what happened’.

Other places in the country have also decided to change names over concerns related to racial and colonialist tensions in the past.

Key Takeaways

• Locals of one Sunshine coast town want the name 'Murdering Creek Road' replaced over concerns of racism.
  • The name is said to have been taken from a massacre of Indigenous people in the 1860s.
  • In 2017, the Queensland Government struck down the use of a slur in official records after a census revealed some places were still using it.
  • More recently, they also conducted local consultations in Fraser Island to honour its Indigenous name 'K'gari'.
In July, talks started for two creeks near Cairns to be renamed Bana Gindarja and Watyakan, respectively, after an outcry from some locals for their previous racially-charged names ‘Blackfellow Creek’ and ‘Black G** Creek’.

What are your thoughts on this? Should the authorities change the names of roads and places that refer to the era of colonisation?

I guess it’s going to present an ongoing discussion about place names, etc that don’t ‘sound’ or ‘look’ respectful. However I urge those contemplating any changes not to be motivated by political correctness, but rather be in full consultation with all parties likely to be involved coupled with a consensus of public opinion. Although we probably won’t court favour with 100% of the community, that should not prevent us from aiming at that level.

Reactions: Jarred Santos
Yes GinGin should be renamed to PersonPerson and no more Black tea or coffee nor can we enjoy a flat white or even white Coffee and now we have the Government proposing that the First Nations People be provided with a voice in Parliament but they have had the same voice as the rest of us for over fifty years. Were there wrongs in the past certainly.
Even in their own culture the sins of the parents were not visited on their Children. Please let us coexist in today and not go seeking trouble where none exists.
Please don't change the name of MY coffee which I love to drink - LATTE - bit of a mixture like myself LOL...I came to this beautiful country in 1958 from Ceylon (Oops! Sri Lanka) and I am of Dutch/Portuguese background, and throw in some Scottish/Irish too... & I am married to a German:)

Reactions: Freeman27

View attachment 8001

View attachment 8000

Key Takeaways

Leave things alone, why change because someone doesn't like it. How have we lasted, son of a family of retired Soldiers and Pilots, myself Also exmilitary

FFS!!
Are we not all Australians?
The past is the past and should there be left.
This situation of emulating the man from 1984 and having the tail wag the dog is a pain in the A"".
I too have been abused and called whitey and (MUCH) worse.
I don't go off crying in my beer and demanding that "the government" "do something" .

Reactions: Hieme
Leave the Murdering Creek name as it is, as it holds that sickening history.
An educational placcard at the site explaining why the creek was named as such seems more appropriate, and gives credence to this part of Australia's often hidden history, that we need to acknowledge respectfully.

The Indigenous Traditional Owners/ Elders need to be consulted regarding their considered perspectives on name changes for places & how to acknowledge their people's history.

Too much pandering to Aboriginals, the gov will do anything to make headlines. Next they'll rename the town of Gin Gin? And what of the title The Fraser Coast? gunna call it K'gari coast? and they'll rename the Black Butt trees or the town of Blackall cause some non white person will be offended, I'm a white Anglo Saxon, ancestors been here as Free Settlers since mid 1800, I get called Whitey, white man/boy. Snow, paleskin etc so do many other Aussies, but we don't go crying to all the human rights orgs, councils etc

Time to stop all this A^^licking and move on
I wish people would call it for it was ie arse licking

• Sad
Reactions: 888D.C888

View attachment 8001

View attachment 8000

Key Takeaways

please the past cannot be changed so lets all just work on getting the country back to normal regardless of colour or religion it is only our skin colour is different we are the all the same underneath lets all go forward together