Local government sounds alarm as social media scams continue to rise in their state

In the digital age, connecting with friends, discovering new products, and engaging with communities is as easy as a tap of a finger.

However, this convenience comes with a significant risk: the ever-present threat of cyber scams.

A recent report shared a surge in deceptive practices online, painting a concerning picture of a local state's cyber security landscape.

In a report presented by The Department of Energy, Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety (DMIRS) during a State Parliament, they revealed a 15.7 per cent increase in Facebook scams throughout 2023-2024.

This marked a record high for cybercrime in Western Australia.

The platform's Marketplace feature saw 373 users defrauded out of more than $513,000.

However, the problem extended beyond Facebook, as classified sites and online marketplaces broadly accounted for the highest number of victims across all scams.

compressed-facebook.jpeg
Facebook's parent company, Meta, has yet to address Westpac's call for safer social media spaces. Image Credit: Pexels/Anderson Guerra

Fake giveaways, phoney job offers, cryptocurrency schemes, and bogus shopping ads were just the beginning.

The most common scams involved fake products and rental listings.

Investment scams have also caused the most significant financial damage among victims.

Scammers have falsely claimed ownership of a vacant patch of land and enlisted real estate and settlement agents to manage sales.

Major bank Westpac identified 360 scams in less than 12 months, with some customers losing tens of thousands of dollars.

Westpac's Customer and Corporate Services Group Executive Carolyn McCann called on Facebook's parent company, Meta, to take responsibility and address how its platform is being exploited.

Earlier this year, DMIRS also reported that over half of the cryptocurrency ads on Facebook were scams that violated Meta's advertising policies.

These scams stripped Western Australians' bank accounts of at least $34 million in the past year alone.

It's crucial to stay vigilant and informed about these deceptive tactics.

Here are some tips to protect yourself from Facebook scams:
  • Scrutinise offers: If a deal seems too good to be true, it probably is. Be wary of giveaways and discounts that require personal information or payment upfront.
  • Verify authenticity: Do your research before engaging with job offers or rental listings.
  • Invest wisely: Be cautious of investment opportunities, especially ones related to cryptocurrency. Consult with a financial advisor before committing funds.
  • Secure your account: Use strong, unique passwords for your social media accounts and enable two-factor authentication to add an extra layer of security.
  • Report suspicious activity: If you encounter a scam, report it to Facebook and relevant authorities immediately.
Stay updated with the latest scam trends by subscribing to consumer protection agencies and cyber security resources.

The SDC Forum also has a dedicated Scam Watch section here.
Key Takeaways

• West Australians saw a record number of Facebook scams, including fake giveaways, job offers, and cryptocurrency schemes.
  • A recent DMIRS report saw a 15.7 per cent increase in scams reported in 2023-2024.
  • Scammers have used Facebook's Marketplace to scam 373 users out of over $513,000,.
  • Facebook owner Meta has been accused of not addressing the issue, with calls for the company to protect its users.
Have you or someone you know fell victim to a Facebook scam? Share your experiences and fool-proof tips with the community in the comments below.

Sponsored
Last week, an old school mate had his Facebook account hacked. Luckily, it didn't result in any financial dealings but serves as a warning to others.

It takes the form of a "friend request", from people you do not know. I have received several of these over the few weeks that were totally ignored.

Closer to home, @DLHM has detected unusual activity on her Facebook account where there appears to be a "mirror" account in her name with some details being incorrect. This was detected in the past hour and has been reported by herself, her daughter and first cousin removed who lives in Canada.

I have already removed my TikTok account and it looks like Farcebook is next on our list to boot from our devices.

Be very wary folks!!
Yes I have thought about this also. The number of fake friend request from scammers I receive is unnerving. I always check the account before saying yes. If the account has been recently created with few posts or a few recent posts are all red flags.

Yes I’m ready now to dump Facebook ! It was originally to keep in touch with family OS but I’ve had it now. A few years ago a couple of Australians designed a small mozzie zapper which was really good I bought loads for me and family @ $39.99. So supporting AU business. Anyway saw an ad on FB last week from them and ordered another one.Well when the payment went through it was in USD so 60 odd dollars ! Sooo after emailing them I hear that they got more business from America so have moved there! So much for supporting Ozzie business they’ve lost me! Sorry for ranting !
Other companies jumped on this product and made solid looking replicas of it after seeing it's success....Chinese company is one that I've seen so be careful what you buy it may not necessarily be the Australian original.🤔😉

Reactions: Kevin. A.
Hi David567,
I totally disagree with you on your comment.
So, the "BIG ?" is, 'What category do you put the giggling stupid "Ass" Harris & her dim witted VP candidate Walz in" ?

Blimey charlie, if those 2 nincumpoops get in, the U.S.A. is completely doomed.

We certainly hope that the situation never comes to our shores, but, who on earth would come to our assistance if needed ?

Think about it.

My daughter and other members of her husband's family have all seen Friend Requests on Facebook which used their names. They have had to change their face book account and use a different name to be able to stay in touch with their relatives, many of whom live overseas and this is the quickest way to contact them.

Hi David567,
I totally disagree with you on your comment.
So, the "BIG ?" is, 'What category do you put the giggling stupid "Ass" Harris & her dim witted VP candidate Walz in" ?

Blimey charlie, if those 2 nincumpoops get in, the U.S.A. is completely doomed.

We certainly hope that the situation never comes to our shores, but, who on earth would come to our assistance if needed ?

Think about it.
Not Trump he is a narcissistic buffoon and a womaniser !!!!!!

My daughter and other members of her husband's family have all seen Friend Requests on Facebook which used their names. They have had to change their face book account and use a different name to be able to stay in touch with their relatives, many of whom live overseas and this is the quickest way to contact them.
The thing that annoys me most is the ammount of people you may know segment it comes in everyday with names of people you would never know or want to know takes ages to remove them all

Yes I’m ready now to dump Facebook ! It was originally to keep in touch with family OS but I’ve had it now. A few years ago a couple of Australians designed a small mozzie zapper which was really good I bought loads for me and family @ $39.99. So supporting AU business. Anyway saw an ad on FB last week from them and ordered another one.Well when the payment went through it was in USD so 60 odd dollars ! Sooo after emailing them I hear that they got more business from America so have moved there! So much for supporting Ozzie business they’ve lost me! Sorry for ranting !
Well I tried to dump FB ! Do you know hard they make it ? I was trying to keep messenger looks like I need to deactivate FB instead of deleting it ! So now to see how complicated that is ! 😳😳

Reactions: Kevin. A.