Local bank closure signals shift in banking services and community connections

The closure of a significant bank branch in one Aussie state marks the end of an era for the local community.

This decision has sparked conversations about the evolving landscape of banking services and the impact on residents who have relied on the branch for years.

As institutions adapt to changing consumer needs and technological advancements, the farewell to this long-standing branch serves as a reminder of the deep connections formed over time and the changes that lie ahead.

The Mandurah Forum branch, Bankwest’s final metropolitan branch, will be closing its doors today, September 27, marking the end of a significant chapter in Western Australia's banking history.

This will end its street presence of nearly 130 years that dates back to Western Australia’s colonial era and will also signal a shift in the banking industry that could have profound implications for customers, particularly the elderly, who have relied on traditional banking methods.

compressed-shutterstock_231361261.jpeg
Bankwest is closing its final metropolitan branch in Mandurah Forum, marking the end of its street presence that dates back to WA's colonial era. Credit: Shutterstock

Mandurah Forum is the final branch of the 28 locations in greater Perth slated for closure following the Commonwealth Bank of Australia's abrupt announcement in March to accelerate Bankwest's shift to a digital-only model.

The remaining 15 branches, all situated in regional WA, will be transitioned to Commonwealth Bank by mid-December, although their future beyond 2026 is uncertain.

The Commonwealth Bank of Australia (CBA), which acquired Bankwest for $2.1 billion from its struggling British parent during the Global Financial Crisis in 2008, stated that the widespread closures reflect a significant decline in branch usage as customers turn to digital banking.

Nevertheless, some customers, particularly the elderly, still depend on physical branches for their banking needs and have had to seek alternatives if they prefer not to switch to online services or transition to CBA.

Bankwest’s impact assessment for the Mandurah closure indicated that over-the-counter transactions at the branch had dropped by 30.6 per cent, averaging just 64 transactions daily over the past year until February.

However, during a visit to Mandurah Forum on Wednesday, September 25, a queue of about 10 customers was reportedly waiting for the branch to open, with a steady flow of visitors seeking assistance from staff in the following half hour.

Bankwest has maintained a branch network since its establishment in 1895 as the Agricultural Bank, later becoming the Rural & Industries Bank.

It was initially supported by then-premier John Forrest as ‘a novel experiment in State enterprise’ aimed at financing the development of the Wheatbelt.

After being listed on the Australian stock exchange, Bankwest pursued significant national expansion under its previous parent, the British bank HBOS, but this was thwarted by the Global Financial Crisis and subsequent sale to Commonwealth Bank.

When the purchase was made, CBA highlighted its ‘intention to maintain and grow the Bankwest brand’ and assured that ‘BankWest branches and business centres in WA will not be closing as a consequence of this acquisition’.

However, in recent years, CBA has scaled back its subsidiary by shutting down its east coast offices, reducing the WA branch network, and exiting the business lending market.

The rise in digital banking convenience has transformed the industry landscape, but it’s clear that major banks have made in-person transactions less accessible.

Currently, approximately 97 per cent of Bankwest's transactions occur online, with only 2,000 of its 550,000 customers relying solely on branch services.

The final closures of the 17 regional branches not transitioning to CBA are taking place this week, with Geraldton closing on Wednesday (September 25) and Kalgoorlie on Thursday (September 26).

Bankwest reported that the majority of the 350 employees impacted by the mass closures have agreed to redeployment opportunities within the bank or CBA.

However, those transitioning to CBA will have their roles confirmed only after the Fair Work Commission assesses that they won’t be worse off under the new contracts.

The Finance Sector Union has filed a dispute with the FWC on behalf of its Bankwest members, alleging that CBA is ‘trying to force an inferior enterprise agreement on its loyal Bankwest workers at a time when inflation and cost of living is eroding workers’ pay’.

As Bankwest's Mandurah Forum branch prepares to close its doors, marking the end of a significant chapter in Western Australia's banking history, many residents, particularly seniors, are left grappling with the implications of this shift.

The closure reflects a broader trend in the banking sector, where the move towards digital services is leaving some customers feeling abandoned.

This has raised concerns among communities about access to essential banking services, especially as the Big Four banks continue to make controversial decisions that impact their clientele.

As the landscape of banking evolves, it's crucial to consider how these changes affect everyday Australians, particularly the most vulnerable.
Key Takeaways

• Bankwest is closing its last metropolitan branch in Mandurah Forum, ending its street presence dating back to WA's colonial times.
  • The closure is part of Commonwealth Bank of Australia's strategy to transition Bankwest to become a digital-only bank.
  • Customers who rely on in-person banking services, particularly the elderly, have been forced to find alternative solutions with over-the-counter transactions at the branch declining.
  • The Finance Sector Union has raised concerns about the treatment of Bankwest workers being transferred to CBA, amid the mass closures and digital transition.
We invite our readers to share their thoughts and experiences with the changing landscape of banking. How have these closures affected you? How are you adapting to the new digital banking era? Your insights could be invaluable to fellow members navigating similar challenges.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: Kevin. A. and BJM
Sponsored
The transition is not just about closing branches; it reflects a broader trend in the banking industry where convenience and digital solutions increasingly overshadow traditional services. While approximately 97% of Bankwest's transactions now occur online, the implications of this shift leave a portion of the customer base feeling abandoned. With only 2,000 of Bankwest’s 550,000 customers relying solely on branch services, the challenge lies in ensuring that those who prefer or require face-to-face assistance are not left without adequate support.

Not good at all most people need to physically go to a bank on occasion. Whether it be to deposit cash or a bank cheque. I feel for the elderly. Who only use their pass books. I have an elderly friend who is terrified of her bank closing as she only uses her pass book account and withdraws cash to pay for bills groceries drs visits whatever is needed. No cards no mobile phone. My own parents need to visit the bank on occasion for banking matters. Again they are elderly. Just dreadful.
Kind regards to all Vicki

Banks don’t care what their customers want or need anymore it’s all about profits for the big share holders & big salaries for the higher up’s .
I have been forced into online banking , I didn’t want to, I much preferred to have a passbook & go into one of my local branches to do my banking but one by one they were closed. Forcing me to do my transactions on line. I don’t trust online banking &I don’t think I ever will .

As a BankWest customer, I get angry when they say very few customers use the teller service. On many occasions I went into my branch and the teller queue was very long, so I'd use an ATM instead, therefore statistically I never went into the branch.

Reactions: Kevin. A.
Very sad for everyone involved. So much for so called "Progress". When "Progress" negatively affects communities, then you must measure the pros and cons of so-called "progress". The question is, just because we can do something, does it mean we should, especially when it affects so many people in negative ways. Just my thoughts. If a system is not broken, then do not try to fix it. My wife and I went into our local ANZ branch only to find all of the tellers are gone and their place are four ATM's and one human customer service employee. This person serves whoever comes through the door. Call me a little old fashioned. However, I do like to see and talk to people when I pay my bill, banking and shopping not just machines.

I hope the 2000 people dumped by Bankwest and the many more dumped by all our banks know they can carry on banking face to face at the Post Office. Maybe the Post Offices will expand again now that they will have more customers.
Unfortunately, Australia Post only offers absolute bare bones banking services through their BankPost facility.

Try getting a mortgage, personal loan or insurance services at an Australia Post outlet. You will be bitterly disappointed.

Reactions: magpie1
Banks don’t care what their customers want or need anymore it’s all about profits for the big share holders & big salaries for the higher up’s .
I have been forced into online banking , I didn’t want to, I much preferred to have a passbook & go into one of my local branches to do my banking but one by one they were closed. Forcing me to do my transactions on line. I don’t trust online banking &I don’t think I ever will .
My thoughts exactly I do not rust technology and when things go wrong the banks accuse us of the mistakes. Suggesting it is all our fault and not the technology.

Reactions: magpie1
Slowly we have lost control of our money within the banking system....we are now facing the daunting reality that we will eventually become a cashless society which will give banks absolute control over our hard established savings.....also things like power outages, hackers, and glitches within the banks electronic system occasionally gives fear to not having money for every day purchases or deposits and payments when they occur. It is a blatant misuse of the banks power over our money. Soon they may even limit withdrawls for instance for purchases if they desire to do so. Who knows where this CONTROL of OUR money will end.

I just wish that the banks hadn’t forced this transition…..I mean, the people most affected by going full digital are the elder generation, and once we are gone there’ll be another elder generation, but a generation that is completely comfortable with the digital age…..When this all comes to fruition, I’m of the mind that there will be only one bank, and it will manipulate and control the finances of everyone…..there will be no shopping around for the best interest rates or bank fees……and what would be the point of kids and adults who put some of their pocket money , or loose change into a jar….there’s very few places left that exchanges coins for notes…..one of my favourite things was to get a birthday card and there’d be money inside to spend, on whatever ……Everything that I just mentioned will disappear into years ago though, with the new generations never having lived like we do……….But I’m sure they will have their own challenges to deal with in the name of progress…..

For West Australians affected by this change, they could turn to the "smaller"
banks, like the reliable and customer-friendly P & N Bank. This bank has opened branches in busy,strategic places plus convenient ATMs. Don't know, however, if it has retained its branches in rural towns.
Emwick