Legendary NRL ‘trailblazer’ Lionel Morgan passes away at 85

It is with great sadness that we report this news: legendary National Rugby League (NRL) icon Lionel Morgan has passed away at age 85.

The former player, coach, and trailblazer was the first-ever Indigenous player to represent Australia in rugby league history, having scored a stunning double on his international debut against France in 1960.

He went on to play in two further Tests against the nation.

FB resize 132.jpg
Lionel Morgan, an NRL trailblazer, passed away at 85. Credit: @codenrl/X (Twitter)

Morgan—who passed away on Saturday night in Brisbane—also played 12 interstate matches for Queensland between 1960 and 1963 and sealed an incredible 11 tries in them alone. He was named Queensland’s best back after the 1962 season.

To commemorate his achievements, he was then selected as a part of the Australian Indigenous Rugby League Team of the Century in 2008.

In honour of the late sportsman, a minute’s silence was observed before the Queensland Cup Grand Final on Sunday, 28th June, and also for the Maroons’ inaugural coach, John McDonald, who sadly passed away last Wednesday.

Lionel’s son, Earl Morgan, shared in an interview in May that his father was diagnosed with dementia.

Earl also mentioned that his dad had worn the green and gold five years before Indigenous people were even allowed to vote in their home state.

‘Dad wasn't allowed to get a passport to go to England, so it had to be arranged for him,’ his son said.

‘Dad's message to young Indigenous kids was clear—no one will give you anything, but if you give hard work, then someone will take you on board and give you an opportunity, and that's what he did,’ Earl added.

‘He achieved his dream.’

Speaking of Morgan’s passing, Australian Rugby League (ARL) Commission Chairman Peter V’landys said in an official statement:

‘Lionel Morgan was a trailblazer. The Australian Rugby League Commission and everyone across the game will be very saddened by Lionel’s passing, but his legacy will remain forever. He was and always will be an inspiration to many of our players.'

The Wynnum Manly Seagulls expressed their grief on a social media post, writing: ‘Rugby League icon, and Seagulls legend, Lionel Morgan has passed away aged 85.’

‘Lionel played 106 games for the Seagulls between 1959-68 and is well known as the first Indigenous player to represent Australia in any major sporting code,’ the caption read.

Tributes also poured from fans, friends, and people who were coached by the sportsman. One person commented: ‘My coach in the 70's, a very nice person.’

‘A true gentleman of the sport and a very talented player. Lionel taught me how to sidestep when I was a youngster, and I was forever grateful that he taught me this skill. RIP Lionel, and heartfelt condolences to his family and friends,’ another person wrote.

‘All the indigenous players today owe a huge debt to Lionel and the barriers he broke down,’ a third person posted.

‘RIP Lionel Morgan—your time with us has come to a close. However, you will never be forgotten,’ a fourth person stated.

Key Takeaways

• Indigenous rugby league pioneer Lionel Morgan has died at the age of 85.
  • Morgan was the first Indigenous player to represent Australia in rugby league and scored a double on his debut against France in 1960.
  • He also played 12 interstate matches for Queensland and was named in the Australian Indigenous Rugby League Team of the Century in 2008.
  • Morgan had worn the green and gold five years before Indigenous people were even allowed to vote in Queensland.
  • The Australian Rugby League (ARL) Commission and the wider rugby league community are mourning his passing, with a minute's silence observed before the Queensland Cup Grand Final.

We would like to take this time to pass on our deepest and most sincere condolences to Lionel’s family, friends, and former club and fans. He will be remembered in the history books and in our hearts forever.

Last edited:
Sponsored
It is with great sadness that we report this news: legendary National Rugby League (NRL) icon Lionel Morgan has passed away at age 85.

The former player, coach, and trailblazer was the first-ever Indigenous player to represent Australia in rugby league history, having scored a stunning double on his international debut against France in 1960.

He went on to play in two further Tests against the nation.

View attachment 30246
Lionel Morgan, an NRL trailblazer, passed away at 85. Credit: @codenrl/X (Twitter)

Morgan—who passed away on Saturday night in Brisbane—also played 12 interstate matches for Queensland between 1960 and 1963 and sealed an incredible 11 tries in them alone. He was named Queensland’s best back after the 1962 season.

To commemorate his achievements, he was then selected as a part of the Australian Indigenous Rugby League Team of the Century in 2008.

In honour of the late sportsman, a minute’s silence was observed before the Queensland Cup Grand Final on Sunday, 28th June, and also for the Maroons’ inaugural coach, John McDonald, who sadly passed away last Wednesday.

Lionel’s son, Earl Morgan, shared in an interview in May that his father was diagnosed with dementia.

Earl also mentioned that his dad had worn the green and gold five years before Indigenous people were even allowed to vote in their home state.

‘Dad wasn't allowed to get a passport to go to England, so it had to be arranged for him,’ his son said.

‘Dad's message to young Indigenous kids was clear—no one will give you anything, but if you give hard work, then someone will take you on board and give you an opportunity, and that's what he did,’ Earl added.

‘He achieved his dream.’

Speaking of Morgan’s passing, Australian Rugby League (ARL) Commission Chairman Peter V’landys said in an official statement:

‘Lionel Morgan was a trailblazer. The Australian Rugby League Commission and everyone across the game will be very saddened by Lionel’s passing, but his legacy will remain forever. He was and always will be an inspiration to many of our players.'

The Wynnum Manly Seagulls expressed their grief on a social media post, writing: ‘Rugby League icon, and Seagulls legend, Lionel Morgan has passed away aged 85.’

‘Lionel played 106 games for the Seagulls between 1959-68 and is well known as the first Indigenous player to represent Australia in any major sporting code,’ the caption read.

Tributes also poured from fans, friends, and people who were coached by the sportsman. One person commented: ‘My coach in the 70's, a very nice person.’

‘A true gentleman of the sport and a very talented player. Lionel taught me how to sidestep when I was a youngster, and I was forever grateful that he taught me this skill. RIP Lionel, and heartfelt condolences to his family and friends,’ another person wrote.

‘All the indigenous players today owe a huge debt to Lionel and the barriers he broke down,’ a third person posted.

‘RIP Lionel Morgan—your time with us has come to a close. However, you will never be forgotten,’ a fourth person stated.

Key Takeaways

• Indigenous rugby league pioneer Lionel Morgan has died at the age of 85.
  • Morgan was the first Indigenous player to represent Australia in rugby league and scored a double on his debut against France in 1960.
  • He also played 12 interstate matches for Queensland and was named in the Australian Indigenous Rugby League Team of the Century in 2008.
  • Morgan had worn the green and gold five years before Indigenous people were even allowed to vote in Queensland.
  • The Australian Rugby League (ARL) Commission and the wider rugby league community are mourning his passing, with a minute's silence observed before the Queensland Cup Grand Final.

We would like to take this time to pass on our deepest and most sincere condolences to Lionel’s family, friends, and former club and fans. He will be remembered in the history books and in our hearts forever.

I still remember rugby being explained to me years go, as one man trying to stick five mens heads up another mans arse? 😊😊

• Wow
Reactions: Veggiepatch
I can remember being at the Dolphins (Redcliffe) club grounds watching them play Wynnum Manly. Redcliffe was only a couple of meters from scoring. Right in front of us Lionel intercepted a pass and ran the length of the field to score under the posts. It was so exciting to watch. Needless to say we were from Wynnum.
I was only about 10 or 11 at the time but I will never forget it.
To take the shine off the event some Redcliffe supporters began to abuse him for being First Nation. I got so mad I went down to where they were and told them to stop and that he was worth a hundred of them.
Thank God people are less narrow minded now.
Any way I can say seeing Lionel score that try was one of if not the most exciting try I have ever seen. BJP.

Reactions: kennedysrus