Laundry wars: Mum's indoor clothesline tip sparks hot debate among ALDI fans!

As the winter months roll in and the skies turn grey, Australians are well-acquainted with the challenges of drying laundry without the generous kiss of the sun.

This seasonal conundrum has sparked a fiery debate among the members of a popular social media group dedicated to a popular supermarket, where a clever mum's trick has divided opinions.

This divide reflected the diverse preferences and needs within the home management community.

The savvy mum shared her solution to the soggy dilemma to the Aldi Fans Australia social media group: a traditional outdoor clothesline installed within the cosy confines of her living room.

The woman praised ALDI's $12.99 retractable clothesline as ‘one of the best buys from ALDI ever!’

‘When you live in a coastal town with constant rain, you have no choice,’ she posted alongside a photo of the clothesline.

photo (23).jpg
An ALDI shopper sparked debate by suggesting an indoor clothesline near an open fire in the living room. Credit: Facebook / Aldi Fans Australia

It's commonly found in Australian backyards, but she's installed it indoors, securely attached to a living room wall and spanning several metres to the opposite side.

To complicate matters, she's placed it near a crackling fireplace, which raises potential concerns, especially with flannelette shirts hanging nearby.

Despite the product being marketed for both indoor and outdoor applications, her implementation elicited a varied response among group members.

Critics of the trick voiced their concerns, with one user commenting, ‘This looks so problematic to me.’

‘Not only are the clothes very close to the open fire, but they'll also likely smell like smoke afterwards. Sure, it's clever, but I'd be more inclined to mount it under a patio or something in the backyard than in the living room.’

Another expressed health concerns, stating, ‘It's actually not a good idea to dry clothes indoors.’

‘It can cause mould,’ a third chimed. ‘Better to just do outside and wait it out.’

Despite the naysayers, there were those who stood by the indoor drying method.

‘Been using them for years,’ one woman shared. ‘Got one going across the back room of my house and another in my caravan that we use when camping.’

Others pointed out that it was ‘the only way to dry clothes’ when living in an apartment.

‘I have been doing it for almost two years now as we're not allowed to use the balconies,’ one user shared.

This was not the first time a post about drying clothes indoors gained widespread attention.

Another indoor drying tip that has gained traction comes from Ann Russell, who advocated using a cold fan to expedite the drying process.

This energy-efficient method involves blowing cold air across the clothes, a cheaper alternative to both heated fans and tumble dryers.

‘A fan. Not a fan heater. It blows cold air. It doesn’t cost a great deal of money,’ she suggested.

And if you're worried about the health implications of leaving damp clothes indoors, Ann also offered a solution for that.

‘Leave your windows cracked so the warm, moist air that rises will go out and you are good to go. It works really well,’ she advised.

From innovative indoor clotheslines to clever drying solutions, household tricks continue to captivate and divide opinions among enthusiasts.

Following the debate over an ALDI retractable clothesline adapted for indoor use, another ingenious tip from Kmart has emerged, promising to revolutionise how clothes are dried during chilly, rainy days.

This practical approach underscores the ongoing creativity in home management, catering to diverse needs and preferences among users seeking efficient solutions.
Key Takeaways

• An ALDI shopper sparked debate with an indoor clothesline tip, which involves stretching a clothesline across a living room near an open fire.
  • Users in a social media group expressed concerns about safety and the potential for clothes to smell of smoke, as well as health concerns associated with drying clothes indoors.
  • Some group members defended the practice, citing benefits for those living in apartments or rainy areas without access to outdoor drying spaces.
  • Meanwhile, Ann Russell shared another tip on social media about using a cold fan for drying clothes indoors, advising people to leave windows cracked to prevent moisture build-up.
What's your take on this divisive topic? Have you ever tried drying your clothes indoors during the wetter months? Do you have any tips or tricks to share that balance safety, efficiency, and the well-being of your home? We'd love to hear your experiences and insights in the comments below!

Sponsored
I have always dried my clothes indoors especially my dark colours, never have l had any signs of mould, and l live in Queensland. I always put my towels, teatowels, and sheets outside.

Reactions: Dohlesrocks
I couldn't think of anything worse than having my wet washing hanging all over my living room.
I invested in an 8 star heat pump clothes dryer, costs next to nothing to run.
I only use it when absolutely necessary, nothing beats fresh air and sunshine. I hang my dark coloured clothes inside out to prevent fading.

I will not own a dryer. If the weather is bad I use my clothes airer. ($13 ) and place it near the air conditioner. The air does not dry out in the house and I was going to use the air con anyway. So a win win

Reactions: BabsL
I will not own a dryer. If the weather is bad I use my clothes airer. ($13 ) and place it near the air conditioner. The air does not dry out in the house and I was going to use the air con anyway. So a win win
Lucky to hv air con. I hv no heating or cooling. Breath vapourises when watching tv. Am doing what so many are forced to do now / wear layers of clothing and go to bed at 4.30pm for warmth ( with gloves and a book).

• Haha
Reactions: Nantes
Lucky to hv air con. I hv no heating or cooling. Breath vapourises when watching tv. Am doing what so many are forced to do now / wear layers of clothing and go to bed at 4.30pm for warmth ( with gloves and a book).
I am so sorry to hear that this is your situation. It is a disgrace that older citizens are left to live below the poverty line, while politicians continue to give themselves pay rises on top of their already generous salaries.
Maybe, some day, we will get somebody in high places who may increase pensions to allow senior citizens a little comfort and stability in their old age, but I'm not holding my breath.