Latest Centrelink boost falls short, Aussies demand more action from the government

As the cost of living continuously rises, any increase in Centrelink payments is typically welcomed.

The Australian government has recently announced a six per cent increase in Centrelink payments, which will affect almost one million recipients.

Despite the increase, there's a growing consensus that this measure is simply not enough to make a significant difference in the lives of those who need it most.

Cassandra Goldie, CEO of the Australian Council of Social Service (ACOSS), has been vocal about the inadequacy of the current increase.

SDC 1.jpeg
The increase in Centrelink payments is not enough for many Aussies. Image source: Shutterstock.

In an interview, she acknowledged that while every extra dollar helps, it ‘does not get these key payments to the level that will lift people out of poverty'.

ACOSS's research towards the end of last year painted a grim picture of the struggles faced by those relying on Centrelink payments.

'Our cost of living research…showed people relying on these kinds of payments were going without food; they were going without heating and cooling,' Ms Goldie shared.

'We want to see action,' she added.

'We do want the government to go much further with its approach to tackling [the] cost of living [crisis], particularly for people on the very lowest incomes.'

This comes after news that those on the Age Pension, Disability Support Pension, and Carer Payments will receive a much-needed increase in their payments starting from the 20th of September, 2023.

Under this initiative, each single pensioner would see an increase of $32.70 per fortnight, while couples will get an increase of $49.40 ($24.70 each). You can read more about this here.

Adding to these cost of living relief initiatives, around 782,000 people on JobSeeker saw a $40 increase in payment each fortnight, while 222,000 Australians on Youth Allowance and about 64,000 families on Partnered Parenting also saw an increase in payments.

This additional relief is estimated to cost the government $4.7 billion.

While the increase seemed substantial, experts said that the current system still leaves pensioners lagging behind inflation.

National Seniors Australia Chief Advocate Ian Henschke stated: 'More can be done to support older people doing it tough, as recent National Seniors research showed a greater proportion of people with low incomes and those who are renting are suffering from cost-of-living pressures.’

'What we need is additional targeted support for people with limited means.'

'We will continue to fight for a system that improves people's lives.'
Key Takeaways
  • Almost one million Centrelink recipients will receive a six per cent increase in their payments.
  • ACOSS CEO Cassandra Goldie commented that while every dollar helps, the increase is insufficient to lift people out of poverty.
  • Research showed that individuals relying on such payments are foregoing basic needs like food and heating.
  • There are calls for the government to take more significant action to address the cost of living for those on the lowest incomes.
What are your thoughts on the Centrelink increase? Do you think it's enough support for those struggling with the rising cost of living? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
you are right it is all about money
THE more companies make and the more prices go up GOVT REVENUE GOES UP
The last pension rise went up %3.2 for pensioners %6for the unemployed
%15 for single mothers
I think what single parents got everyone should of got as it was closer to actual inflation
If the next pay increase is the same as the the last increase it would mean the govt is saying inflation for the whole year is %6.4 last increase
WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP
GOOD FOR THE UNEMPLOYED AND SINGLE PARENTS AS THEY HAVE BEEN GIVEN 5 EXTRA INCREASE ON TOP OF 5

Reactions: Bridgit
Under this initiative, each single pensioner would see an increase of $32.70 per fortnight.... I get my DSP raise tomorrow the 11th April.... DSP rose $9.05, Rent Assistance rose $1.70 and Pension Support rose $0.75.... A whopping $11.50 p/f increase. I am a single pensioner living in private rental.

• Sad
Reactions: Bridgit
Why do increases vary between pensioners. The increase should be the same for everyone. $32.70 was expected so why did we not get that amount. T he dole and other increases are far more significant and every one gets the same amount.

Why do increases vary between pensioners. The increase should be the same for everyone. $32.70 was expected so why did we not get that amount. T he dole and other increases are far more significant and every one gets the same amount.
You will get the right amount.
The rise starts on a set date, this could be two days or eight days or whatever depending on your pension day, so your payment will only be for that many days
Your next fortnight will be for the full amount

Reactions: Littleboy8
You will get the right amount.
The rise starts on a set date, this could be two days or eight days or whatever depending on your pension day, so your payment will only be for that many days
Your next fortnight will be for the full amount
Fair enough, but why do pensioners not get a decent rise like parents or unemployed. We still have to pay the same amount for food, utilities, etc ,as every body else. Parents go to work and unemployed could work as we are always crying out for workers it seems.

Fair enough, but why do pensioners not get a decent rise like parents or unemployed. We still have to pay the same amount for food, utilities, etc ,as every body else. Parents go to work and unemployed could work as we are always crying out for workers it seems.
I'm afraid I don't have an answer for that, age pensioners always seem to get the rough end of the stick.
Single parents is what annoys me. Having three step daughters who had umpteen kids all rorted the system for years and years. All lived with partners, so they weren't single to start with. One went on the payment at 16, she's now 51, on Jobseeker and never worked a day in her life. They had endless friends all doing the same.
Meanwhile age pensioners, most of whom have worked hard most of their lives are left to live below the poverty line.
The system is broken.

I AM AFRAID THAT SINGLE PARENTS GET PAID MORE THAN A MARRIED COUPLE BECAUSE THEY HAVE CHILDREN THEY CANNOT AFFORD
IN the last year single parents received $about 180 extra
dollies about $80 extra and pensioners around $50

ON TOP OF THEIR PENSION THY GET MAINTENANCE OF ACCORDING TO THE AVERAGE WAGE AN EXTRA $360 /fn as well as rent relief and they share housing with some one else
When they get the pension for being irresponsible and having children at taxpayers expence they should be made to get a job to help their children and keep themselves from having unwanted babies
I say they were unwanted because they do nothing to bring them up on welfare instead of planning how to support them
THE SMITH FAMILY STATE THEIR 1,2 MILLION CHILDREN OUT THEIR THAT ARE MISTREATED WHICH MEANS THEIR IS 2.4 MILLION PARENTS OUT THERE THAT SHOULD BE CHARGED BY LAW FOR MISTREATING CHILDREN
THE BABY BOOMERS BUILT THIS COUNTRY AND FOUGHT FOR ALL THE BENEFITS THAT PEOPLE NOW RECEIVE
HOLIDAY PAY, 38 HR WEEK .LEAVE .TAX CUTS .MEDICARE GOVT HOUSING
AFTER US BOOMERS WHO NEVER GOT WELFARE AND HAD TO WORK RETIRED AND GET SHAFTED BY THE GOVTS OF THIS ERA WHILE THEY REWARD IRRESPONSIBLE PARENTS AND DOLE BLUDGERS BY GIVING THEM BIGGER PAY RISES THAN THE PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY WORKED FOR ENTITLEMENTS

For those saying 'I didn't get that much, I only got...'

Check the dates referred to in the article!!!
The $32.70 was for a single pensioner from last September.
The increase from 20th March 2024 was $19.60 for a single pensioner.
If you are part of a couple, your payment increase will be lower, as will the increase in rent assistance.

For those saying 'I didn't get that much, I only got...'

Check the dates referred to in the article!!!
The $32.70 was for a single pensioner from last September.
The increase from 20th March 2024 was $19.60 for a single pensioner.
If you are part of a couple, your payment increase will be lower, as will the increase in rent assistance.
THE INCREASE FOR PENSIONERS ,CARERS AND THE DISABLED WAS $32.70 last september
the increase for single mothers was $157.00 PLUS % 92 percent of single parents are mothers but %100 made them
The increase for dollies was $57
WHY IS THEIR INCREASES MORE THAN PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY WORKED ALL THEIR LIVES EVEN WHEN HAVING CHILDREN
THERE WAS NO DOLE OR SINGLE PARENTS BACK THEN AND AFTER A CERTAIN AMMOUNT OF TIME IT SHOULD END FOR THOSE WHO DELIBERATELY HAVE CHILDREN TO STAY ON WELFARE AND IF YOU CANNOT OR WILL NOT FIND WORK IN A YEAR THE THE DOLE SHOULD BE STOPPED AS WELL

Okay, so you have a problem with single parents, we get that. No need to be dishonest by misrepresenting what changed in September. Don't forget also, not all single parents become so by choice. I became a single parent myself after many years of marriage and 4 children because my husband decided he would prefer the lifestyle possible with a 22-year-old and no 'encumbrances'.

Okay, so you have a problem with single parents, we get that. No need to be dishonest by misrepresenting what changed in September. Don't forget also, not all single parents become so by choice. I became a single parent myself after many years of marriage and 4 children because my husband decided he would prefer the lifestyle possible with a 22-year-old and no 'encumbrances'.
HOW OLD ARE YOUR CHILDREN AND HOW MUCH MAINTENNANCE DO YOU RECEIVE ON TOP OF YOUR PENSION IFyou do not get enough from him then take him to court
I understand after marriages break up but that still does not mean you are not responsible for having 4 children without relying on taxpayers to support you
YOU are one of the few who at least committed to marriage and unfortunately your husband could not

DONT U THINK YOUR CHILDREN ARE THE RESPONSIBILITY OF U AND YOUR EX SHIT HEAD AND NOT THE TAXPAYERS PROBLLEM OR DO YOU THINK IT IS EVERYONE ELSES PROBLEM TO BRING THEM UP
IN my day when i had my children there was no benefits so i had to work whether i liked it or not YOU HAVE THE SAME CHOICE
FIND WORK OR USE THE SYSTEM
i guess the system isthe best way to go
4 kids entitles you to %50 of his pay before tax

HOW OLD ARE YOUR CHILDREN AND HOW MUCH MAINTENNANCE DO YOU RECEIVE ON TOP OF YOUR PENSION IFyou do not get enough from him then take him to court
I understand after marriages break up but that still does not mean you are not responsible for having 4 children without relying on taxpayers to support you
YOU are one of the few who at least committed to marriage and unfortunately your husband could not

DONT U THINK YOUR CHILDREN ARE THE RESPONSIBILITY OF U AND YOUR EX SHIT HEAD AND NOT THE TAXPAYERS PROBLLEM OR DO YOU THINK IT IS EVERYONE ELSES PROBLEM TO BRING THEM UP
IN my day when i had my children there was no benefits so i had to work whether i liked it or not YOU HAVE THE SAME CHOICE
check the facts on SEPTENBER LAST YEARS BENEFITS INCREASE
I DID AND I DO NOT LIE
FACTS ARE FACTS

Now you are just being rude! You are making assumptions about someone you don't know, as clearly is your habit given how judgemental you obviously are.

NOT THAT YOU ARE ENTITLED TO THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION, I am giving it to you in an effort to educate you about assuming things!

At the time my ex left, our children ranged from 8 months to 13 years of age. The youngest is now 35!!!

After all these years I don't recall the figures, which would be meaningless today anyway. I certainly didn't get 50% of his income, more like about 30%.

The family tax payment system didn't come in until my youngest was in late primary school, and the old Child Endowment payments were nowhere near as generous.

I never received a 'full' pension, as I continued to work part-time (as I had done throughout most of our marriage and returned to once the baby was 3 months old).

BECAUSE I BELIEVED IT WAS MY RESPONSIBILITY TO RAISE THE CHILDREN I HAD BROUGHT INTO THE WORLD, I didn't dump them in full-time childcare and after-school care for others to bring up. I continued to work part-time until the youngest was in high school, so that I was always there when they came home from school. I then went back to work on full-time night duty, with one of my then young-adult children there overnight to look after the younger ones, and by the time the time the youngest left school I had paid more tax than I had received over the years in benefits.

YOU, with your angry, rude, and judgemental rant are the "s*** head". Slagging off at people about whom you know so little is one reason why younger people disparage us boomers as ignorant fools, which you have proven yourself to be.

check the facts on SEPTENBER LAST YEARS BENEFITS INCREASE
I DID AND I DO NOT LIE
FACTS ARE FACTS
No, you are completely wrong. What happened in September was that the requirements to qualify for SPP changed, and SOME single parents who had previously not qualified then did.

NO FOOL LIKE AN OLD FOOL!

• Love
No, you are completely wrong. What happened in September was that the requirements to qualify for SPP changed, and SOME single parents who had previously not qualified then did.

NO FOOL LIKE AN OLD FOOL!
LOOK UP SEPTEMBER INCREASES $157 for single parents
$57 for dolies and $32 for pensioners -I
I might be an old fool but i never bludged of taxpayers
CAN YOU SAY THE SAME AND I NEVER LEFT MY WIFE OR LET CHILDREN GO ON BENEFITS
I BROUGHT THEM UP TO NOT HAVE CHILDREN THAT WERE NOT PLANNED FOR AND IT WAS THEIR RESPONSIBILIYY TO WORK FOR A LIVING JUST LIKE US POST WAR VETERANS
TELL ME WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR THIS COUNTRY

• Haha
Reactions: Sloopy
LOOK UP SEPTEMBER INCREASES $157 for single parents
$57 for dolies and $32 for pensioners -I
I might be an old fool but i never bludged of taxpayers
CAN YOU SAY THE SAME AND I NEVER LEFT MY WIFE OR LET CHILDREN GO ON BENEFITS
I BROUGHT THEM UP TO NOT HAVE CHILDREN THAT WERE NOT PLANNED FOR AND IT WAS THEIR RESPONSIBILIYY TO WORK FOR A LIVING JUST LIKE US POST WAR VETERANS
TELL ME WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR THIS COUNTRY
THIS is a quote from AMANDA RISHTON THE MINISTER OF SOCIAL SERVICES WHICH COMES INTO EFFECT SEPTEMBER THE 20TH 2023
JOBSEEKER will increase to $749 p/fn effecting a $56 increase
parenting payment single recipients will receive a base payment increase of$20.39 which due to a change in the budget
Due to the fact the age of children being changed from 8 years to fourteen years single parents will receive an extra $227 50 compared to the current rates including supplements
DOES THIS MEAN WHAT IT SAYS THAT AS OF SEPTEMBER
the 20th ALL SINGLE PARENT ARE GRETTING A FURTHER 6 YEARS ON BENEFITS PLUS A SUBSIDY OF A FURTHER $227 .50 dollars or not
Look up the benefits on the internet for SEPTEMBER LAST YEAR AND LOOK AT THE SOCIAL SERVICES MINISTER QUOTE
PENSIONERS WHO WORKED ALL THEIR LIVES AND PROTECTED THIS COUNTRY GET $32 50 increase in payments SO DO NOT GET A JOB AND HAVE CHILDREN ONCE EVERY 13 YEARS AND LIVE OF THOSE THAT DO WORK AND PAY TAXES AND NEVER HAVE TO WORK
VERY GENOUROUD OF GOVTS REWARDING PEOPLE FOR STAYING HOME AND HAVING CHILDREN THEY CANNOT AFFORD
AFTER all us post war parents did it all without govt paying them
WE WORKED WITHOUT GOVT SUPPORT EXCEPT FOR ONE CONTRIBUTION FROM THE GOVT OF $2 /month
AS FOR NO FOOL LIKE AN OLD FOOL TELL ME IN YOUR LIFE EXPERIENCES WHAT YOU HAVE DONE FOR GOD OR COUNTRY
CHECK THE FACTS
DO YOUKNOW HOW TO DO THAT
AND I DO NOT LIKE THE REFERECE I AM A FOOL
I SERVED THIS COUNTRY IN THE ARMED FORCES FOR 9 YEARS AND YOU ARE CALLING ME A FOOL AND I AM CALLING YOU A SHAME TO THE WORKING CLASS AND A COWARD

Last edited:
why dont the elderly and carers and the disabled get the same or more increases like the unemployed and single parents
dont they deserve to be treated equal if not more
After all they earned the right

You persist in failing to acknowledge that you are twisting several different and unrelated figures together and coming up with an incorrect statement.

You also persist in being rude and obnoxious. You are happy to judge people whose circumstances you don't know on the basis of what SOME other people do.

Since you like SHOUTING so much,

YOU ARE FOUL, AND A PERFECT EXAMPLE OF WHY OUR GENERATION HAS AN INCREASINGLY POOR REPUTATION AS BEING GREEDY AND SELFISH. WE HAD DIFFICULT TIMES, YES, BUT IT IS OUR GENERATION AND THOSE FROM ABOUT 50 ONWARDS WHO HAVE ENSURED THAT YOUNGER GENERATIONS WILL HAVE A HARDER TIME ACHIEVING THINGS WE DID, LIKE STABLE EMPLOYMENT AND HOME OWNERSHIP.

WHILST I RESPECT THOSE WHO HAVE SERVED OUR COUNTRY, IT DOES NOT MAKE YOU A SAINT OR AN ARBITER OF WHAT IS RIGHT AND JUST. IT DOES NOT GIVE YOU A FREE PASS ON LACK OF ETHICS AND COMPASSION.

Yes, there are some people who rort the system, but it is an incredibly low number. NEWS FLASH!!! THERE ARE ALSO SIGNIFICANT NUMBERS OF PEOPLE IN OUR GENERATION WHO, WHILE WORKING HARD, HAVE ALSO AVAILED THEMSELVES OF TAX MINIMISATION LOOPHOLES AND ETHICALLY DUBIOUS MEANS (LIKE DIVESTING THEMSELVES OF ASSESSIBLE ASSETS) IN ORDER TO QUALIFY FOR THE AGE PENSION.

Don't forget too, that the majority of women in our parents' generation, and some in ours ( particularly the older half) who collect/ed the Age Pension having NOT PAID ANY TAXES FOR 50+ YEARS! They worked for a few years until they married, and then left the workforce permanently. There were tax deductions available to their husbands for supporting them (and for having dependent children) for many years as well.

why dont the elderly and carers and the disabled get the same or more increases like the unemployed and single parents
dont they deserve to be treated equal if not more
After all they earned the right
The elderly, carers, and those on DSP are on payments which are already significantly higher than unemployment benefits. There are a growing number of people on unemployment benefits (particularly in the over-50 age group) who are too disabled to be employable but not disabled 'enough' to receive DSP. At least part of the increases for the unemployed is to make up for the fact that for years pensions were increased under a different and more generous formula to unemployment benefits.