Largest pension increase in more than 12 years announced as the cost of living soars

These days, it seems like every report is about the increasing prices of goods and services. This can make us feel hopeless, wondering if there is any relief in sight.

But don't fret! We previously reported about the payment boost for thousands of Australians residing in South Australia.

Now, here is some more good news for everyone!

According to fresh reports, welfare payments are expected to receive the highest indexation hike in up to 30 years. That's right, those of us who are struggling to make ends meet may finally be seeing some relief.

The adjustment will include the increase as part of a regular recalibration to reflect changes in the Consumer Price Index. and it's about time.

Treasurer Jim Chalmers said it's high time for the payments to keep up with the skyrocketing prices, and we couldn't agree more.

He said: 'That's why they're indexed twice a year, and every little bit helps.'

'This indexation will be particularly big this month because inflation is particularly challenging.'

ZriGkUDLm4oOCVkvaE_GCp-ywYvLofx7q6Uhjon0EWNqsmXM5N9mmgrfZd9kBxwNeZnlW9Jy8V30gwUWa--OmcdXB44n1r_xq5CtJQSzXILC1Fpd2CIBYbNk2SYmxhpgMM4YhXTYvRfHEUVjmVyKNtE7X57022L6HehrUa9CKIRZyBFXF-MUPSHl

Centrelink recipients will receive a boost in their payments as the government vows to adjust the allowances with the skyrocketing costs of living. Credit: ABC News.

It was reported that the Age and Disability Support Pensions, and the Carer Payment will increase by $38.90 for individuals and $58.80 for couples per fortnight.

Additionally, there will be increases to the JobSeeker Payment, Parenting Payment, ABSTUDY, and Rent Assistance, with single parents receiving an additional $35.20 each fortnight, bringing their Parenting Payment to $927.40, including the Energy Supplement.

Mr Chalmers added: 'And we know that it won't solve every problem for everybody, but it's important that we try and make sure that those payments keep up.'

'That's what the indexation is about. It will be welcome even as we acknowledge that times will still be tough for a lot of people.'

Couples receiving Jobseeker or Parenting Payments will see a fortnightly rate increase of $23.40 to $616.60, which includes the Energy Supplement.

The government also noted that the increase in payments due to indexation is the biggest in more than 30 years for allowances and in 12 years for pensions.

The maximum pension rate will rise to $1,026.50 per fortnight for singles and to $773.80 per person or $1,547.60 per couple for pensioner couples.

While this news is certainly welcome, it's important to remember that it's just a drop in the bucket.

Acting chief executive for the Australian Council of Social Service (ACOSS), Edwina MacDonald, said the aid was not enough.

'It's really just a drop in the ocean at this point and as the non-discretionary inflation is higher than the CPI, they are still going backwards in terms of what they can afford to buy at the moment,' she said.

A minimum 35% increase in social security benefits has been demanded by the group, claiming that if it was to be approved the daily amount paid to jobseekers would increase to $70, which is more in line with what is required to lift individuals out of poverty.

Economists predict that the cost of living will rise even further when the temporary reduction in the fuel excise tax expires later this month.

Treasurer Jim Chalmers has ruled out an extension, explaining: 'It would be too expensive to continue that petrol price relief indefinitely.'

'I think Australians understand that we've inherited a budget which is heaving with a trillion dollars in Liberal Party debt and that means some difficult decisions including this one.'

Some good news, some bad news. But at least we're seeing some progress when it comes to helping those who are struggling to make ends meet. Here’s to more pension increases in the future!

So, there you have it, folks! Do you think the government should do more about the increasing prices of essentials aside from providing additional relief?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
Geeeees. Any couple who have a third child or more....(one for the Country) should get heaps... lot better to have an Ausie child than shipping others in. Consider how labour short we are now. One of my Grand Daughters has put off having a third due to costs. If my pension covered it I would pay for the thirds education. At 73 I have 7 GGrand kids. I wish I could cover them all and then more.
SO.....Back off Groovy and think again..
I respect your opinion!!! Mine is just mine 🤷🏻‍♀️😊

NOTHING SPECIAL IN PENSION INCREASE. Same formula used as in the past, high CPI result multiplied by the current pension is our increase from Septemer 20th. Stupid pollies patting themselves on the back for the highest rise in many years, In all reality we will have to tighten our belts even more. Just keeping up with inflation will keep pensioners in poverty as the Pension is already inadequate

Last edited:
Reactions: darshei and Ezzy
Tim, it is very nice to put it up $38.90 but why do you keep putting up the child payments when in days gone by it was the parents responsibality.
If you have children it is up to you to think about if you could afford to bring them up until they were 16 or 18 years of age. These days they get so much for having the child so much to make sure the child has been inumised and then they get paid vasts amounts of money in care and endowment each fortnight for caring. You have taken the responsibility away from the parent. I have a friend with r children and the amount of funding from the Government and both wages they are on easy street I can tell you. This sort of thing has to change it is not substainable. It is the parents responsibility to care and pay for there family. We are not RABBITST. Talk to one other before you commit to having another child and think if it is affordable, not hpow much the government can pay. Can you pay for that child's upbringing. not the Governments.
Much more than we received 48 years ago for our first child & l know wages are better than then despite the fact the cost of living has increased. How many of those families with more than 3 or 4 children & earn 2 wages also collect welfare packages from welfare agencies & churches?

Is the Government looking after the greedy at the expense of the needy? l refer to Pensioners when l say needy, who have & will always be left behind in these matters. Every 6 months for an increase in Pensions is not enough. I maintain this should be every 3 months to give us any chance of maintaining a decent lifestyle.

Thi
These days, it seems like every report is about the increasing prices of goods and services. This can make us feel hopeless, wondering if there is any relief in sight.

But don't fret! We previously reported about the payment boost for thousands of Australians residing in South Australia.

According to fresh reports, welfare payments are expected to receive the highest indexation hike in up to 30 years. That's right, those of us who are struggling to make ends meet may finally be seeing some relief.

The adjustment will include the increase as part of a regular recalibration to reflect changes in the Consumer Price Index. and it's about time.

Treasurer Jim Chalmers said it's high time for the payments to keep up with the skyrocketing prices, and we couldn't agree more.

'This indexation will be particularly big this month because inflation is particularly challenging.'

ZriGkUDLm4oOCVkvaE_GCp-ywYvLofx7q6Uhjon0EWNqsmXM5N9mmgrfZd9kBxwNeZnlW9Jy8V30gwUWa--OmcdXB44n1r_xq5CtJQSzXILC1Fpd2CIBYbNk2SYmxhpgMM4YhXTYvRfHEUVjmVyKNtE7X57022L6HehrUa9CKIRZyBFXF-MUPSHl

Centrelink recipients will receive a boost in their payments as the government vows to adjust the allowances with the skyrocketing costs of living. Credit: ABC News.

It was reported that the Age and Disability Support Pensions, and the Carer Payment will increase by $38.90 for individuals and $58.80 for couples per fortnight.

Additionally, there will be increases to the JobSeeker Payment, Parenting Payment, ABSTUDY, and Rent Assistance, with single parents receiving an additional $35.20 each fortnight, bringing their Parenting Payment to $927.40, including the Energy Supplement.

Mr Chalmers added: 'And we know that it won't solve every problem for everybody, but it's important that we try and make sure that those payments keep up.'

'That's what the indexation is about. It will be welcome even as we acknowledge that times will still be tough for a lot of people.'

Couples receiving Jobseeker or Parenting Payments will see a fortnightly rate increase of $23.40 to $616.60, which includes the Energy Supplement.

The government also noted that the increase in payments due to indexation is the biggest in more than 30 years for allowances and in 12 years for pensions.

The maximum pension rate will rise to $1,026.50 per fortnight for singles and to $773.80 per person or $1,547.60 per couple for pensioner couples.

While this news is certainly welcome, it's important to remember that it's just a drop in the bucket.

Acting chief executive for the Australian Council of Social Service (ACOSS), Edwina MacDonald, said the aid was not enough.

'It's really just a drop in the ocean at this point and as the non-discretionary inflation is higher than the CPI, they are still going backwards in terms of what they can afford to buy at the moment,' she said.

A minimum 35% increase in social security benefits has been demanded by the group, claiming that if it was to be approved the daily amount paid to jobseekers would increase to $70, which is more in line with what is required to lift individuals out of poverty.

Economists predict that the cost of living will rise even further when the temporary reduction in the fuel excise tax expires later this month.

Treasurer Jim Chalmers has ruled out an extension, explaining: 'It would be too expensive to continue that petrol price relief indefinitely.'

'I think Australians understand that we've inherited a budget which is heaving with a trillion dollars in Liberal Party debt and that means some difficult decisions including this one.'

Some good news, some bad news. But at least we're seeing some progress when it comes to helping those who are struggling to make ends meet. Here’s to more pension increases in the future!

So, there you have it, folks! Do you think the government should do more about the increasing prices of essentials aside from providing additional relief?
How kind of our wonderful new Government, giving us something we should have had 2 years ago, but not all that exciting when we come to pay bills, one of which has increased twice as much as the intended pay rise. I don't see when it is going to happen. Is it just speculation or do we have a date to help staunch the bleeding from our meagre savings?

Last edited:
I don't know about others, but now on aged pension, I can worry less about money than when I was working. Juggling bills and mortgage and trying to ensure my kids had everything they needed, I rarely bought myself anything, now I have more clothes and shoes, go out to dinner regularly, no sporting, school, etc fees.. just hubbie and I to consider... I've worked all my life, and I'm glad I'm not like the poor old Queen, I've actually been lucky enough to retire for a few years to myself before I pop off this earth.

Reactions: Nychelle
so many more homeless people especially women.but I suppose not my problem, not my problem was the mantra from the government at that time.we need more homes for these poor people. not all of them are ( dole bludgers).I also hate that expression ,some are very unfortunate.through no fault of their own.this is not a third world country’

That’s absolutely right, the question of I’ve been asking for year’s now or at least the last 10 years is why do we have to pay rent on our on our supplements, ie, our Utilities Supplement and our Pension Supplement. This only started 10years ago. Before then we only paid rent on our basic pension but the LNP decided we should pay rent out of our supplements as well. This also makes every rise we get the more we who don’t own our own homes pay if we live in Social Housing. It seems to me that we are being punished not helped. I’ve been writing to anyone I thought might listen to me for year’s and have only ever received 1 reply and that was a few weeks ago. I wrote to Mr Chalmers and actually got a reply saying my email would be passed onto the relevant people who deal with this. I’m not holding out any hope but at least I got a reply,so we will see.

'I think Australians understand that we've inherited a budget which is heaving with a trillion dollars in Liberal
I get sick of the Labor Govt. talking about the Trillion dollar deficit as if it's all the Coalition's fault, when Labor in fact contributed significantly to that same deficit.

The Global Financial Crisis (Labor) and Covid (Coalition) lead to unprecedented necessary govt. spending.....and therefore, the huge deficit increase.

Sure, there has been waste, on both sides, but to lump it all on the Coalition government that got us through the last few years is unfair, inaccurate and hypocritical.

I didn't see anyone giving back cash handouts or funding increases.

Last edited:

So, there you have it, folks! Do you think the government should do more about the increasing prices of essentials aside from providing additional relief? WHEN??

Towards the end of the article on the new Pension rates effective from September 20th, there’s an error. The maximum pension rates for singles and couples is per fortnight, not weekly as shown.
I totally agree with you Shippa. I wish it was weekly. It would make things easier for all of us.

Reactions: Defiant540
Maybe that’s why they have so many children……..they get paid to look after their own children, no need to work.
Tax payers are their employer, not the government 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️
Oh wow! I can remember getting Child Endownment monthly while the children were at home but you lost money as soon as they turned six and lost the lot once they left school. From memory it was only around $16 per child anyway. The amounts they are being paid now is ridiculous!

Reactions: Groovy

Real work on inflation needs to be done, can't just keep increasing payments to each and all. Only adds to the merry go round. Wages up, prices up. Need action on a solution.

Reactions: Defiant540

wh7 not DOUBLE for couples????

I don't know about others, but now on aged pension, I can worry less about money than when I was working. Juggling bills and mortgage and trying to ensure my kids had everything they needed, I rarely bought myself anything, now I have more clothes and shoes, go out to dinner regularly, no sporting, school, etc fees.. just hubbie and I to consider... I've worked all my life, and I'm glad I'm not like the poor old Queen, I've actually been lucky enough to retire for a few years to myself before I pop off this earth.
Lovely to hear your gratitude and positive attitude. I can so relate to your story as we also worked hard for over fifty years and counting. And families are doing it really tough right now, let's remember.
We moved into an ' over 55's' village just over a year ago, and the community sharing of expenses, the relief from constant home maintenance etc has given us a new range of choices and social activity. We also value our privacy, and this is even better than we previously had living in our home. Would recommend this lifestyle to any retiree or part retiree as your responsibilities and costs are much less. Just do your homework and check the contracts offered very carefully before you sign up.
Some are much better than others. Just planting seeds of thought, from an ex financial counsellor.

I get sick of the Labor Govt. talking about the Trillion dollar deficit as if it's all the Coalition's fault, when they in fact contributed significantly to that same deficit.

The Global Financial Crisis (Labor) and Covid (Coalition) lead to unprecedented necessary govt. spending.....and therefore, the huge deficit increase.

SNeith ure, there has been waste, on both sides, but to lump it all on the Coalition government that got us through the last few years is unfair, inaccurate and hypocritical.

I didn't see anyone giving back cash handouts or funding increases.
Neither did Harvey Norman or Qantas -just saying.

I guess I am grateful but would like a little more to help pay utilities where people who are renting get help.I am running a house and have to find enough to pay Rates,electricity,upkeep,and lawn mowing et just a little more to help would be great,mind you I never look a gift horse in the mouth and I am hoping there will be more rises soon a cash payment would be really helpful as prices keep rising and trying to keep up is mighty hard

Thanks i am very grateful and hope this helps pay for my extras that keep cropping up,I think we should be given extra like those who are renting,as I am trying to keep my head above water looking after my home,my Husband & I downsized the 6 weeks later he died leaving me to keep this home,I know he always looked out for me but I just manage after being scammed of life savings,I feel like I let him down but I am trying really hard and hate the scum whom took everything from me