Kyle Sandilands reveals life-threatening home incident

Renowned Australian Idol judge and radio host, Kyle Sandilands, recently experienced a terrifying accident at his Sydney mansion that left him fearing for his life.

The incident, which occurred when he was alone at home, serves as a stark reminder of the potential dangers lurking in our own homes, especially for those living alone or with limited mobility.

The 52-year-old celebrity fell down the stairs of his home late on Tuesday night, leading to the broadcast of a pre-recorded episode of The Kyle & Jackie O Show on Wednesday.

Sandilands recounted the harrowing experience on Thursday morning’s show, saying, 'We had to run a pre-done show because I fell from the top of my internal staircase and rolled and rattled and bumped all the way to the bottom and was left splayed out like a Christmas dinner.'

SDC 3.png
Kyle Sandilands fell down the stairs at home while he was alone. Image source: @wavebreakmedia_micro on Freepik.

'And no-one was home, so I’m like, “Help”.'

His wife, Tegan, baby son Otto, and his nanny, were also away for the night when the incident happened.

The incident occurred when Sandilands was navigating his 'big, wide marble staircase' in the dark, as the lights were situated at the bottom of the staircase, rather than the top.

'My foot just went and I just went to the bottom of the floor,' he said.

Alone and unable to get up immediately, Sandilands was left helpless, fearing the worst.

'I was so injured, I thought, “That’s it for me, this is the beginning of the end.”'

Brooklyn Ross interjected, saying, 'Well, all the health problems begin after the fall,' to which Jackie 'O' Henderson agreed in the background.

Thankfully, Sandilands managed to get himself up off the floor without suffering any major damage.

'But it rattled me a bit,' he admitted.

In other news, Sandilands has recently been in the spotlight due to his noticeable weight loss, sparking rumours that he was using the diabetic appetite suppressant drug Ozempic.

'I don’t care, but I just wish people would know that if I was (on it), I’d just say it at this point,' he said.

'There’s nothing stopping me from saying it and I would say it, but I can’t convince people otherwise.'

The radio host dismissed these speculations, attributing his weight loss to healthier eating habits and reduced consumption of bread and Coca-Cola.

'You always come back from the (Christmas) break a little bit skinnier because you’ve been healthier... You’re less into the 12 coffees,' his co-host, Jackie 'O' Henderson said.

Sandilands also added that his wife Tegan made sure he ate healthily over the holidays.

'I go, “Can you bring me a chocolate Paddle Pop?” and a salad shows up,' he shared.
Key Takeaways
  • Kyle Sandilands experienced a dangerous fall down the stairs at his Sydney home, causing him to miss a live broadcast of The Kyle & Jackie O Show.
  • He was alone at the time of the accident, with his wife Tegan and baby son Otto being away, and the nanny not at home.
  • After the fall, he feared for his health and the possibility of long-term implications, referencing a common belief that health problems often begin with a fall later in life.
  • Kyle has also addressed rumours that his recent weight loss was due to using the diabetic appetite suppressant drug Ozempic, clarifying that his healthier diet was responsible and he would openly admit to using the drug if that were the case.
Always remember to keep your phones within arm’s reach whenever possible, members. In emergencies, don’t hesitate to call 000.

You can also read this story featuring another radio personality’s similar experience and consider other devices as suggested in the comments section.

Members, have you experienced something similar while alone at your home? Share your stories with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
My family have lived in the same former council house in the UK for 70 years(known as social housing in Australia). The basic 3 bed house was built and finished in December 1953. I can’t understand why Kyle’s mansion didn’t have light switches at the top and bottom of the stairs when our old family home does. It was a standard feature at the time of building. Seems to me someone didn’t abide by regulations when Kyles home was built or it was a bad error on the architect’s plans.

This is going back to 2019 when I had a terrible fall that really changed my life to this day, I now have to use a walking stick and I am now even finding great difficulty with that.! And I am having more falls ,it is absolutely the worst feeling. All the best Kyle x

My husband and I are in our late 60's and although he does wears hearing aids, he still doesn't hear that well. I've tripped and gone over a couple of times, nothing major, just my own clumsiness but had to sit a few minutes as he couldn't hear me. I worry that as time goes on, it may happen outside or he may doze off and I get stuck for a while. I'm not sure having my phone would make a difference as he's always losing it and it's rarely high enough for him to hear. Any practical suggestions plz

First - for those of you with staircases, get two-way light switches installed. It’s not a major job for an electrician and not that expensive in order to avoid a potential accident waiting to happen. A two way switch can be a boon. I’m in a low-set house but we had a two-way switch installed between rumpus room & corridor to 3-bedrooms at the back of the house even though our 3 children were all over 15 at the time.

Secondly - use a different ring tone on each of your mobile phones and, if necessary turn up the volume on the phone owned by the party who has hearing issues.

Thirdly - as you get older see if you can get some sort of ‘emergency’ alarm system you can wear around your neck (at all times) so you can alert one another (or an outside emergency agency) to any kind of accident that happens.

We are 78 & 82 now and our phones are always with us or very close by; I’m trying to instil in my husband that we need to take our phones every time we go out without one another so that the other one can be notified in an emergency. It was quite a task initially even getting him to get a mobile phone!!

My husband and I are in our late 60's and although he does wears hearing aids, he still doesn't hear that well. I've tripped and gone over a couple of times, nothing major, just my own clumsiness but had to sit a few minutes as he couldn't hear me. I worry that as time goes on, it may happen outside or he may doze off and I get stuck for a while. I'm not sure having my phone would make a difference as he's always losing it and it's rarely high enough for him to hear. Any practical suggestions plz
I have a MeCaps alarm that I wear like a watch on my wrist. I bought it four years ago and it cost me around $250. There are no other costs involved. I had occasion to use it last year when I collapsed with what turned out to be a serious pulmonary embolism. I pressed the button on my wrist and was answered by a MeCaps operator within 2 or 3 minutes. I could hear her from a unit installed in my dining room (I was in the bedroom) and she could hear me as I explained my situation. She stayed on the line with me while waiting for the ambulance which arrived within 15 minutes. There is a key safe on my front door that, if necessary, ambulance or police can access to gain entry to the house if I'm unable to let them in. Meanwhile my first contact (my son) was also called. It's a real comfort. It doesn't have to be a major crisis either. The alarm operates up to 50 metres outside the house.

Surely he had his phone with him? There are also those Siri things that allow you to say Ring 000. As he didn’t need even an ambulance I think it was just a small storm in a teacup - but anything for media coverage

• Wow
Reactions: ShezzieD
My husband and I built our home (80% ourselves) back in the early 90's and we have two-way switching basically in every room, even my garage has special lighting (pilot light inside the garage & 2 lights leading up to front door (with an auto delay turn off) activates when the garage door is opened or closed.

I have a MeCaps alarm that I wear like a watch on my wrist. I bought it four years ago and it cost me around $250. There are no other costs involved. I had occasion to use it last year when I collapsed with what turned out to be a serious pulmonary embolism. I pressed the button on my wrist and was answered by a MeCaps operator within 2 or 3 minutes. I could hear her from a unit installed in my dining room (I was in the bedroom) and she could hear me as I explained my situation. She stayed on the line with me while waiting for the ambulance which arrived within 15 minutes. There is a key safe on my front door that, if necessary, ambulance or police can access to gain entry to the house if I'm unable to let them in. Meanwhile my first contact (my son) was also called. It's a real comfort. It doesn't have to be a major crisis either. The alarm operates up to 50 metres outside the house.
I have just tried to find “MeCaps” on the internet. Looks like it may be a typographical or auto-spellcheck error and should actually be “MePACS” (not Caps).

We too have a key safe on a pillar outside in front of our lounge room which gives access to our home - number is only known by a couple of trusted neighbours and some family and I believe the police station down the road may also have our access number.

Unfortunately one son does not have a car & relies on public transport, the eldest lives 1+ hour away and daughter is 30 minutes away for after hours contact or 1 1/2 hour during work days, an older sister is 5 minutes away but does not drive so would have to rely on a neighbour to get to us. So we rely on two trusted neighbours and one another in an emergency. I’ll now look into this system - thank you for the info.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jersey Girl
Surely he had his phone with him? There are also those Siri things that allow you to say Ring 000. As he didn’t need even an ambulance I think it was just a small storm in a teacup - but anything for media coverage
Unfortunately, a lot of elderly people these days (not all) have trouble understanding and using mobile phones and some don’t believe in them at all - the “why do I need that” attitude. I find them very useful even at age 78.

And I do not agree with your comments of “a small storm in a teacup - but anything for media coverage”. You do not know what that person was going through or feeling, like panic, or their actual condition. Don’t comment in the negative if you don’t know the actual circumstances. We all go through panic at times and should be listened to and calmed down where necessary.

Reactions: magpie1 and wendell
Unfortunately, a lot of elderly people these days (not all) have trouble understanding and using mobile phones and some don’t believe in them at all - the “why do I need that” attitude. I find them very useful even at age 78.

And I do not agree with your comments of “a small storm in a teacup - but anything for media coverage”. You do not know what that person was going through or feeling, like panic, or their actual condition. Don’t comment in the negative if you don’t know the actual circumstances. We all go through panic at times and should be listened to and calmed down where necessary.
It’s Kyle Sandilands. Everyone knows everything g about him.

• Haha
Reactions: Veggiepatch
Need to get an alarm to wear around your neck as it Detects falls can have 3 emergency people on it , last one is ambulance

I was making general comments and it was for information of all on this site. IT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH KYLE SANDILANDS AND HIS TUMBLE.

I have, personally never liked the way he comes across, his outwardly pompous attitude and rudeness towards people, but then again, I don’t know him or why he acts that way. It may be to do with covering up some sort of insecurity or he may be someone who just likes to big note himself. I don’t know.

I have just tried to find “MeCaps” on the internet. Looks like it may be a typographical or auto-spellcheck error and should actually be “MePACS” (not Caps).

We too have a key safe on a pillar outside in front of our lounge room which gives access to our home - number is only known by a couple of trusted neighbours and some family and I believe the police station down the road may also have our access number.

Unfortunately one son does not have a car & relies on public transport, the eldest lives 1+ hour away and daughter is 30 minutes away for after hours contact or 1 1/2 hour during work days, an older sister is 5 minutes away but does not drive so would have to rely on a neighbour to get to us. So we rely on two trusted neighbours and one another in an emergency. I’ll now look into this system - thank you for the info.
Sorry, that was indeed my typo! It's MePacs.

Reactions: magpie1