Kmart's controversial solution to checkout woes: A first look at the Melbourne store trial

For over a decade, Kmart customers have grown accustomed to the discount retailer's unconventional layout that places checkouts in the middle of stores.

However, the design choice has proven divisive, with many questioning the way the budget retailer differs from other stores with where it places its checkout counters.

This floorplan could soon change as the company trials a new layout in one store.

In what could signal a major shift, Kmart is testing a new checkout location at its Eastland store in Melbourne. Under the trial, registers have been relocated from the store centre to a new checkout area near the exit.

In short, customers taking part in the trial will experience a more traditional retail layout. Instead of queuing for registers surrounded by aisles of merchandise, shoppers will now pay at the front of the store before leaving.

4539ed3564ed61c7b61b27c6feff5cb2246f86e8-4x3-x0y1w649h487.jpg
Kmart’s current layout scheme has drawn much criticism from shoppers. Credit: Facebook

A Kmart spokesperson confirmed this change, stating that the store is currently under renovation and will undergo ‘a range of new store elements over the next year or so’.

‘As a business, we are always looking for ways to make our customer experience better, so trying out new things is just part of what we do,’ they said.

The spokesperson added: ‘As always, we have a number of trials taking place involving lots of new ideas so we can see what our customers think. As these are rolled out, we look forward to hearing our customers' feedback so we can continue to adapt and improve.’

As of writing, the retailer has yet to make plans to implement this change to other stores in the country.

Earlier this year, Kmart shoppers criticised the store layout, stating that they treat ‘every shopper like a shoplifter’.

One social media user wrote: ‘Dear Kmart Australia, why put the checkout area in the middle of the store if you’re going to treat every shopper like a shoplifter on the way out?’

At the time, Kmart shared that the checkout decision ‘made several years ago…to make shopping more convenient, ensuring store entrances are free of queues and clutter, and allowing customers to enter and exit with ease’.

‘This current layout is more open and more spacious without having the registers up at the front of the store, which can get congested during busy times of the year like Christmas,’ they explained.

Members of the Senior Discount Club have mixed opinions on this matter, with some sharing their frustration about the checkout location.

Member @Marian M wrote: ‘I do like KMart for their low prices, but I do get frustrated with the checkout being where it is. I always have to walk further to get to it and as it is placed awkwardly. It is a st****place to put it.’

‘Then to have to keep the receipt handy when exiting. I do not think they have ever really checked my receipt; they just glance at it, and some often don't bother doing that,’ the member continued.

Member @carosb13 said: ‘I have no issue with my bags being checked, but it wouldn't be necessary if the checkouts were left at the entrance to the store, where they used to be! Often, it's hard to find them too, and one walks a lot extra.’

Member @Margaret 9 shared: ‘I used to shop at Kmart regularly until they moved the checkouts to the middle of the store, and then I had to queue to leave the store to have my bag and receipt checked, they even check the carrier off the back of my mobility scooter!’

‘I have never stolen anything in my life, and Kmart's detailed checking of everywhere I could possibly have hidden something is annoying!’ They added.

On the other hand, some members don’t mind having the checkout counters in the middle of the store.

‘I don’t mind where the checkout is at present. I don’t think it matters where the checkout is, we all go into, buy whatever and leave. Can’t see what the big deal is!!’ member @LeslieD expressed.

‘With so much shoplifting going on, they have to check receipts, etc. Otherwise, the cost of everything goes up to make up for the stealing. I'm quite happy to be checked on the way out of the store. Also, the checkout in the centre makes sense, never had to wait to use a register,’ member @Col@45 said.

‘When you think about it, shoplifting keeps costs up, I don’t mind a middle of store set up it used to be a cluttered mess at the door. My local Kmart had a person who clicks your receipt with the machine, which prevents people who might steal a second item and use the receipt to return it. If it saves me money, I can deal with waiting, and at 82, it isn’t easy,’ member @Isis stated.

Key Takeaways
  • Kmart is trialling a new checkout location at its Eastland store in Melbourne, moving cash registers from the centre of the store to the exit.
  • The trial is part of Kmart's ongoing efforts to improve the customer experience and comes after backlash over the previous layout, which some shoppers criticised as treating 'every shopper like a shoplifter'.
  • The retailer has confirmed it is testing various new elements in the store, but no plans have been announced to implement this change in other stores across Australia.
  • Earlier this year, customers suggested changes to the store layout, including moving the checkout counters to the front of the store.

Should this be implemented everywhere, members? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
For over a decade, Kmart customers have grown accustomed to the discount retailer's unconventional layout that places checkouts in the middle of stores.

However, the design choice has proven divisive, with many questioning the way the budget retailer differs from other stores with where it places its checkout counters.

This floorplan could soon change as the company trials a new layout in one store.

In what could signal a major shift, Kmart is testing a new checkout location at its Eastland store in Melbourne. Under the trial, registers have been relocated from the store centre to a new checkout area near the exit.

In short, customers taking part in the trial will experience a more traditional retail layout. Instead of queuing for registers surrounded by aisles of merchandise, shoppers will now pay at the front of the store before leaving.

View attachment 31758
Kmart’s current layout scheme has drawn much criticism from shoppers. Credit: Facebook

A Kmart spokesperson confirmed this change, stating that the store is currently under renovation and will undergo ‘a range of new store elements over the next year or so’.

‘As a business, we are always looking for ways to make our customer experience better, so trying out new things is just part of what we do,’ they said.

The spokesperson added: ‘As always, we have a number of trials taking place involving lots of new ideas so we can see what our customers think. As these are rolled out, we look forward to hearing our customers' feedback so we can continue to adapt and improve.’

As of writing, the retailer has yet to make plans to implement this change to other stores in the country.

Earlier this year, Kmart shoppers criticised the store layout, stating that they treat ‘every shopper like a shoplifter’.

One social media user wrote: ‘Dear Kmart Australia, why put the checkout area in the middle of the store if you’re going to treat every shopper like a shoplifter on the way out?’

At the time, Kmart shared that the checkout decision ‘made several years ago…to make shopping more convenient, ensuring store entrances are free of queues and clutter, and allowing customers to enter and exit with ease’.

‘This current layout is more open and more spacious without having the registers up at the front of the store, which can get congested during busy times of the year like Christmas,’ they explained.

Members of the Senior Discount Club have mixed opinions on this matter, with some sharing their frustration about the checkout location.

Member @Marian M wrote: ‘I do like KMart for their low prices, but I do get frustrated with the checkout being where it is. I always have to walk further to get to it and as it is placed awkwardly. It is a st****place to put it.’

‘Then to have to keep the receipt handy when exiting. I do not think they have ever really checked my receipt; they just glance at it, and some often don't bother doing that,’ the member continued.

Member @carosb13 said: ‘I have no issue with my bags being checked, but it wouldn't be necessary if the checkouts were left at the entrance to the store, where they used to be! Often, it's hard to find them too, and one walks a lot extra.’

Member @Margaret 9 shared: ‘I used to shop at Kmart regularly until they moved the checkouts to the middle of the store, and then I had to queue to leave the store to have my bag and receipt checked, they even check the carrier off the back of my mobility scooter!’

‘I have never stolen anything in my life, and Kmart's detailed checking of everywhere I could possibly have hidden something is annoying!’ They added.

On the other hand, some members don’t mind having the checkout counters in the middle of the store.

‘I don’t mind where the checkout is at present. I don’t think it matters where the checkout is, we all go into, buy whatever and leave. Can’t see what the big deal is!!’ member @LeslieD expressed.

‘With so much shoplifting going on, they have to check receipts, etc. Otherwise, the cost of everything goes up to make up for the stealing. I'm quite happy to be checked on the way out of the store. Also, the checkout in the centre makes sense, never had to wait to use a register,’ member @Col@45 said.

‘When you think about it, shoplifting keeps costs up, I don’t mind a middle of store set up it used to be a cluttered mess at the door. My local Kmart had a person who clicks your receipt with the machine, which prevents people who might steal a second item and use the receipt to return it. If it saves me money, I can deal with waiting, and at 82, it isn’t easy,’ member @Isis stated.

Key Takeaways

• Kmart is trialling a new checkout location at its Eastland store in Melbourne, moving cash registers from the centre of the store to the exit.
  • The trial is part of Kmart's ongoing efforts to improve the customer experience and comes after backlash over the previous layout, which some shoppers criticised as treating 'every shopper like a shoplifter'.
  • The retailer has confirmed it is testing various new elements in the store, but no plans have been announced to implement this change in other stores across Australia.
  • Earlier this year, customers suggested changes to the store layout, including moving the checkout counters to the front of the store.

Should this be implemented everywhere, members? Share your thoughts in the comments below!
Definitely - it was quite stupid to have them in the middle of the store and even hard to see where it was - to say nothing of and extra walk around looking for it.

View attachment 31758

Key Takeaways

ABOUT TIME. 👏👏

I LOATHE the central checkout system.

I have not set foot in Kmart OR Target stores (which I LOVE) since 😭😭
these dreadful arrangements were put in place. 😤😤

View attachment 31758

Key Takeaways

I used to shop at KMart regularly but since the ridiculous set up of the check-outs avoid it like the plague. When the change first occurred I had a broken ankle and was horrified having to hobble all the way back to a long trailing line at the central check-out then hobble back to the store exit. Once payment was made I then saw "specials" I would have loved to purchase but there was no way I could repeat the check-out drama. Now I shop at Big W and never ever venture into KMart. Many of the elderly I know are in total agreement with me.

View attachment 31758

Key Takeaways

Checkouts in the centre of the store is the most ridiculous thing ever! It was never about the “customer experience” but purely a hope that people would buy more as they queued to pay. For them it’s all about basket size but finally they’ve listened & will hopefully return to traditional placement

ABOUT TIME. 👏👏

I LOATHE the central checkout system.

I have not set foot in Kmart OR Target stores (which I LOVE) since 😭😭
these dreadful arrangements were put in place. 😤😤
I'm the same. I will not shop in KMart (we no longer have a Target) as I refuse to have to line up twice, & waste a lot of my precious shopping time, while someone checks my bag. If the checkouts are back at the front then I put my shopping through the checkout & leave without re-entering the shopping area. Simple. How dumb is KMart management not to realise this?

Could never understand the logic behind placing check outs in the middle of a store. Some people might trudge from one end of the store to the other passing these on the way, remember something else & pass these on the way to the next item & then have to return to the middle of the store to pay for those items. Great experience if they have children in tow as well.

The opposite could also be true. The item/s being shopped for are at the front of the store & then you have to go backwards to pay for these in the centre of the store. Where is the logic?

View attachment 31758

Key Takeaways

When they first put this stupid set up in the store I said it was crazy and I have been proven correct. I also hate the Customer Service back at the back of the store as well. The number of times I have gone there and the desk is unmanned and I have to press the buzzer and wait and wait for someone to make their way their drives me nuts.

It’s a fuss about nothing in my opinion. Kmart and Target are so big now in the major shopping centres that it could mean an extra walk wherever you shop. Kmart has the centre check out and Target is at the front. But Targets checkout runs from the front entrance all the way to the left of store where you queue, so if you happen to be shopping at the right hand part of the store it’s a long walk ! I don’t know about Big W we don’t have one locally. Everyone has the choice to shop at these stores or not 🤷‍♀️

Bring it on please. Can still pinch something on the way out if so inclined anyway - thieves are better than any scruitineer at the door - distract whilst shoving an item into a bag and both walk out as together

Reactions: marni and Gsr
so many 1st world problems being exposed here. Yet at the same time, there are so many stories about Kmart dupe of a high end blah blah blah with dozens of contributions from people that they bought this that and the other thing, but never a mention of the 'excessive' 10 metres they had to endure to make purchase.

• Angry
Reactions: Noknojon
It’s a fuss about nothing in my opinion. Kmart and Target are so big now in the major shopping centres that it could mean an extra walk wherever you shop. Kmart has the centre check out and Target is at the front. But Targets checkout runs from the front entrance all the way to the left of store where you queue, so if you happen to be shopping at the right hand part of the store it’s a long walk ! I don’t know about Big W we don’t have one locally. Everyone has the choice to shop at these stores or not 🤷‍♀️
My closest Big W has its checkouts at the front of the store (where they should be). You can choose to be employed by the store as you checkout your own goods or use checkouts with service by a lovely operator. Then you leave the store without going through areas where you could (if you were dishonest enough) pick up something you have not paid for as you leave the store.

Could never understand the logic behind placing check outs in the middle of a store. Some people might trudge from one end of the store to the other passing these on the way, remember something else & pass these on the way to the next item & then have to return to the middle of the store to pay for those items. Great experience if they have children in tow as well.

The opposite could also be true. The item/s being shopped for are at the front of the store & then you have to go backwards to pay for these in the centre of the store. Where is the logic?
They were trying to force us to serve ourselves, at the front, self-serve checkouts.

Reactions: relljube

View attachment 31758

Key Takeaways

Personally it does not phase me too much having checkouts in the centre of store, it's lining up again to exit the store. To say they implimented that to stop queues or crowding at front of store is a load of hogwash. You still have to line up at entrance/exit which is much narrower than usual, to have bags checked and produce receipts. That seems to defeat the intended purpose of freeing up the entrance/exits. I know it takes all types who shoplift but doesn't every item of stock have a barcode which goes off if not scanned & paid for.? My local store thoroughly check every item on receipt and every nook and cranny of your walker or bags. Whilst I understand it, it frustrates me that you are lining up a 2nd time to get out of the store. I have pretty much turned to online for everything, but sometimes you just like to wonder through a store & find things you don't always find on a website.

View attachment 31758

Key Takeaways

I have friends who after paying for their goods just walk out of the shop.They state simply you have already seen me pay for the goods I don't have to go through another check, also in Law the person at the entrance has no power to stop you as they are not licensed security personnel. As to checkouts there is only one major store other than supermarkets in my area that has checkouts at the front of the store & that's BIG W.KMART still insists on a checkout at he centre of the store,but as its centred on the main entry ilse it is not hard to find.

Reactions: lornafurst

View attachment 31758

Key Takeaways

About time!