Kmart shopper spots hilarious price fail: 'Can’t get better than this'

We've all been there. You're out shopping, and you see an amazing deal on an item that's usually much more expensive. You think to yourself, "This must be a mistake!" But is it really?

Well, that has been the subject of debate of several bargain hunters who were divided after one Kmart shopper revealed the unusual pricing of one item in his local store.

A Sydney customer has taken to Facebook to share a photo of a price display that advertised some shirts for a clearance price of $0.

lkwcvwaaVv7h55IB_0rEbZ8LB1czjoGqQkXa2rrvkjW5Rygkpdmk56KeEwWKEqPJTD_w8XG-QgrmmVBv28PfaGmv-N4Ra4o0z1k-tbyaEIc7ugNMyNslByleIPsCJ-eNKXg51uH6xqXH9WP5SWZTNg

An eagle-eyed shopper spotted a price display advertising some shirts for a ‘clearance price of $0.’ Credit: Facebook.

No need to do a double take, folks! The man admitted that he was surprised when he spotted the bizarre sign.

The shopper joked: 'Found this amazing markdown! Couldn't get better than this.'

While the Sydneysider shrugged it off as a mistake (we don't blame him, it clearly looks like an error), some savvy shoppers pointed out that he should have enquired further about the shirts because there is a chance that the store could have honoured the price.

One user wrote: 'In Big W one day, blankets were put behind a $12 price tag and they were meant to be $89.'

'I got them for $12 because they said they have to give them to me at $12.'

'I went and got someone [and] he said a worker must’ve accidentally put them behind the $12 one, and I got it at $12.'

Another shared: 'Happened to me before when I bought a washer.'

'They wrote $1,198 instead of $1,998 so saved me $800!'

A third chimed in: 'I got a car $2,000 cheaper because some person advertised it for the wrong price.'

Retailers must make sure that all listed prices are accurate, and it should be simple for customers to determine the price at which products are being offered, according to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC).

The agency further specifies that 'the business has to correct the display or sell you the item for the lowest price' if a product has numerous prices shown on it, such as when the product tag includes one price while the sign above the display displays another.

O6y2egW1oKLpiiN0clWMplULLSL98_t6trttn_Rjs49nMA_JLY8Vt0Szi1yc2rFLOkEXerufME_M93eTWtchxqz7nnifdWqxaEPe8yxGd9PMyJ_Kic0KsLcd3ueBPOYYBMioQ10FB9ecY28Vwkal4g

There are certain rules that retailers need to follow when they mislabel price displays. Credit: Getty Images.

While some shoppers perceived the situation as an opportunity to negotiate for a discount, others argued that accidents happen and shouldn't be taken advantage of.

One comment read: 'So many people think they are entitled to something for nothing these days.'

'I mean, just because you walked past an obvious pricing mistake does not mean you are entitled to have it for free, that's just ridiculous.'

According to a retail employee who also left a comment on the post, staff members would usually decide what to do in this circumstance based on the customer's behaviour.

'I work in retail and our store policy is at managers discretion,' the employee wrote.

'If someone politely mentioned it was priced wrong I would happily sell at the lower price... if someone demanded I would refuse and ask them to leave.'

While bargaining for the item to be sold for a lower price in case it was labelled wrong is a legal and plausible reason to score a deal, we encourage our members to inform staff members that the product was advertised at an incorrect price to prevent any more issues from both sides.

How about you? What would you do if you encountered a similar situation? Better yet, have you experienced this before? Share your stories with us in the comments below.

Reactions: Ricci and BJM
Sponsored
I was taught 55 years ago that an advertised price is merely “ An invitation to treat”. In law that means it is not a price the store has to honour. On the other hand you can bargain with the seller. The price is only fixed when the two parties agree.

This has been muddled as some stores honour a price for goodwills sake. Also the quality of the goods on foot have consumer law giving the consumers rights.

in respect of warranty terms it should be understood under a certain value the seller is considered the manufacturer. Don’t fall for the glib advice that you the buyer must return it to the manufacturer. It’s the stores responsibility.

in addition if the warranty says it’s 12 months, it is NOT! As a consumer you have every right to expect a product performs and lasts. This is provided it is used for its intended purpose. You cannot expect a consumer level power tool to be used in an industrial setting.

I have had Breville replace units 3-4 years after they fail. You just have to chase the manufacturer saying you pay good money and it expect to be of merchantable quality. Cheap Chinese knock offs on EBay may not be so honoured.

if the product has recommended servicing , such as a car , you must provide the evidence.

Reactions: Ricci
Stanier123 posted....
I was taught 55 years ago that an advertised price is merely “ An invitation to treat”. In law that means it is not a price the store has to honour. On the other hand you can bargain with the seller. The price is only fixed when the two parties agree.
A fair bit has happened and changed since 1967...... Geelong have won 3 premierships, our phones are in our pockets and not fixed to the wall, 2 important examples.......
In 2022, the ACCC says that the store has to honour the price advertised....... This is also mentioned in the article.
"An invitation to treat" mighty very well be a behaviour if a seller advertised the price as "negotiable" or as "near offer", but not in a retail situation these days.
"An invitation to treat" might also apply to a service offered on a street corner....... depending on the time of night, weather conditions, and the usual supply and demand. ;););)

I expect some joker has removed the first number which could have been a 1 or 2.
Then mover the 0 next to the dollar sign.

I expect some joker has removed the first number which could have been a 1 or 2.
Then mover the 0 next to the dollar sign.
A good thought, but that is not the case. I actually looked at those particular T shirts in Kmart on the weekend and they are priced at $8.00 each

A good thought, but that is not the case. I actually looked at those particular T shirts in Kmart on the weekend and they are priced at $8.00 each
OK Robbo,
The shopper could have removed any amount of numbers then move the 0 next to the Dollar sign.
The 1 or 2, I used were just examples of what may have been in place.
There really is no need for you to say the T shirts were $8.00??
Most readers would understand the obvious.

Reactions: Defiant540
OK Robbo,
The shopper could have removed any amount of numbers then move the 0 next to the Dollar sign.
The 1 or 2, I used were just examples of what may have been in place.
There really is no need for you to say the T shirts were $8.00??
Most readers would understand the obvious.
Those shirts were $8.00, so why are you crying about the fact that I stated a fact?
Don't want the truth to get in the way of a good story eh!

• Haha
Reactions: Defiant540