Kmart shopper shares shocking 'body-shaming' encounter over viral dress

It looks like even the most basic errands like shopping can serve up interactions rife with questionable manners and outright rudeness.

A modern-day shopper's tale of buying a dress at Kmart recently turned into a showcase of body-shaming, leaving her ruffled and in disbelief.

The incident sprang from Kmart’s 'Luxe Maxi Dress'. For those who missed our article: the budget-friendly retail giant, has released its version of the international bestseller–the SKIMS dress.

Yes, the one made popular by Kim Kardashian that had Australian shoppers experiencing quite the mania around this viral dress dupe, which is priced at just $25.

photo 1 (5).jpg
Kmart’s Sleeveless Luxe Maxi Dress ($25) vs. SKIMS' Soft Lounge Long Slip Dress ($142). Credit: Kmart and SKIMS

The stylish and cost-effective dress is a sell-out in stores, and it was in hot pursuit of this dress that a Kmart shopper, who goes by @tahrnia on social media, found herself in a sticky situation.

'I have seen this Kookai, SKIMS dupe dress from Kmart all over my “For You” page, so I decided to find one myself,' she explained in her video.

After a successful treasure hunt, she found the coveted dress in the last available, Size 8, at her local store.

Photo_20230904_115502_0000.png
A Kmart shopper shared a story of a ‘body-shaming’ incident at the store. Credit: @tahrnia/TikTok

As she picked up the item, she was accosted by another customer.

'And she goes, “Oh, is that a Size 8?” And I said, “Yeah”. And she’s like, “You might fit a size 10 better”,' the shopper recalled.

She had this to say about that customer, 'One, not having a dig at Size 10s or anything, there’s nothing wrong with that–I can fit a Size 10. But like, what the f***?! Get your own dress, you little rat.'

Moving past the uncomfortable incident, the shopper was thrilled to flaunt her perfectly fitting dress in a subsequent clip.

Social media users were also in disbelief about the encounter. One user wrote: ‘What the! Who says that to someone! (Size) 8 is perfect for you!’

‘Definitely, she said that because she wanted it! You look stunning,’ another person claimed.

'Looks so good on you. I'm glad you didn’t fall for her trick. The nerve of some people,' a third person commented.

The incident serves as a reminder that shopping problems in the real world aren't just about sold-out items and long queues. Body-shaming is unfortunately present in every corner of our society, and it's disheartening to see it in something as innocuous as shopping.

Retrospectively, our brave Kmart shopper summarised her takeaway from the experience. 'I honestly think she just wanted the last size 8.'

She added, 'For all she knows, I could have been really struggling with my body image.'

You can watch her video here:
Warning: This video contains expletives. Viewer discretion is advised.

Key Takeaways
  • A Kmart customer had a shocking encounter with another shopper over a sold-out dress.
  • The shopper, who uses the handle @tahrnia, was told by another customer that she might fit a size ten better when she picked up the last size eight Luxe Maxi Dress.
  • The video of her experience and trying the dress on, which she posted on social media, received many supportive comments, with many expressing disbelief at the other customer's audacity.
  • The shopper suggested that the other customer's comment could have been a tactic to get the last size eight dress for herself.

Her experience is a stark reminder that no one has the right to make unsolicited comments about others' bodies. Everybody is different and beautiful in their way, and we should celebrate our bodies as they are.

What do you think of this story, members? Have you, or anyone you know, been in such a situation? Share your experience in the comments below!

Sponsored
The article was so not something We need to read in SDC!!!! Maybe if we were all teenagers or in our twenties!!! However the language used was not for anyone of any age!! Who deems this stuff as suitable for an article?

It looks like even the most basic errands like shopping can serve up interactions rife with questionable manners and outright rudeness.

A modern-day shopper's tale of buying a dress at Kmart recently turned into a showcase of body-shaming, leaving her ruffled and in disbelief.

The incident sprang from Kmart’s 'Luxe Maxi Dress'. For those who missed our article: the budget-friendly retail giant, has released its version of the international bestseller–the SKIMS dress.

Yes, the one made popular by Kim Kardashian that had Australian shoppers experiencing quite the mania around this viral dress dupe, which is priced at just $25.

View attachment 29052
Kmart’s Sleeveless Luxe Maxi Dress ($25) vs. SKIMS' Soft Lounge Long Slip Dress ($142). Credit: Kmart and SKIMS

The stylish and cost-effective dress is a sell-out in stores, and it was in hot pursuit of this dress that a Kmart shopper, who goes by @tahrnia on social media, found herself in a sticky situation.

'I have seen this Kookai, SKIMS dupe dress from Kmart all over my “For You” page, so I decided to find one myself,' she explained in her video.

After a successful treasure hunt, she found the coveted dress in the last available, Size 8, at her local store.

View attachment 29053
A Kmart shopper shared a story of a ‘body-shaming’ incident at the store. Credit: @tahrnia/TikTok

'And she goes, “Oh, is that a Size 8?” And I said, “Yeah”. And she’s like, “You might fit a size 10 better”,' the shopper recalled.

She had this to say about that customer, 'One, not having a dig at Size 10s or anything, there’s nothing wrong with that–I can fit a Size 10. But like, what the f***?! Get your own dress, you little rat.'

Moving past the uncomfortable incident, the shopper was thrilled to flaunt her perfectly fitting dress in a subsequent clip.

Social media users were also in disbelief about the encounter. One user wrote: ‘What the! Who says that to someone! (Size) 8 is perfect for you!’

‘Definitely, she said that because she wanted it! You look stunning,’ another person claimed.

'Looks so good on you. I'm glad you didn’t fall for her trick. The nerve of some people,' a third person commented.

The incident serves as a reminder that shopping problems in the real world aren't just about sold-out items and long queues. Body-shaming is unfortunately present in every corner of our society, and it's disheartening to see it in something as innocuous as shopping.

Retrospectively, our brave Kmart shopper summarised her takeaway from the experience. 'I honestly think she just wanted the last size 8.'

She added, 'For all she knows, I could have been really struggling with my body image.'

Key Takeaways

• A Kmart customer had a shocking encounter with another shopper over a sold-out dress.
  • The shopper, who uses the handle @tahrnia, was told by another customer that she might fit a size ten better when she picked up the last size eight Luxe Maxi Dress.
  • The video of her experience and trying the dress on, which she posted on social media, received many supportive comments, with many expressing disbelief at the other customer's audacity.
  • The shopper suggested that the other customer's comment could have been a tactic to get the last size eight dress for herself.

Her experience is a stark reminder that no one has the right to make unsolicited comments about others' bodies. Everybody is different and beautiful in their way, and we should celebrate our bodies as they are.

What do you think of this story, members? Have you, or anyone you know, been in such a situation? Share your experience in the comments below!

Been a while since I fitted into a size 14, even longer for a 10 😄

View attachment 29052

View attachment 29053

Key Takeaways

Why is there a need to share this stuff with strangers?

View attachment 29052

View attachment 29053

Key Takeaways

People like that dont deserve a reply

View attachment 29052

View attachment 29053

Key Takeaways

jealousy from the rat

View attachment 29052

View attachment 29053

Key Takeaways

All this crap over a dress that some TV nothing wears? Really ladies.....there needs to be a reality check here for both the buyer and the insulter (is there such a word?)
Can't get over the banality of what I sometimes read on here.

View attachment 29052

View attachment 29053

Key Takeaways

I think she looks stunning 🤩 and a size 10 would have swam on her and looked ridiculous

Reactions: Ezzy and Jo Piper3
Of course she does. This is what these "influencers" do. It's an ego trip for them - clickbait so people will give them compliments...they can't survive without the attention.

View attachment 29052

View attachment 29053

Key Takeaways

Riveting news. Someone wasn't minding their own business. I feel a Royal Commission" is in order.

• Haha
Reactions: 52KID and Leenie

View attachment 29052

View attachment 29053

Key Takeaways

Umm...this is a seniors discount club...one very young looking senior in that video...who decided this was interesting news for seniors?!🤣🤣

Reactions: IamJane