Kmart product sparks outrage due to tiny detail that 'tricked' many shoppers

Kmart Australia, a favourite shopping destination for many Aussies, has recently come under fire for a product that has left customers feeling deceived.

The item in question? A stylish table lamp.

The controversy centres around a seemingly minor detail that has left many customers feeling misled and frustrated.

Jesse, a Perth resident, was thrilled when she found what she thought was the perfect table lamp at her local Kmart.

The Sundae Table Lamp, featuring a pink glass base and a whimsical lightbulb on top, seemed like the ideal addition to her living space.

SDC Images (14).png
Kmart’s $12 Sundae Table Lamp seemed like the perfect addition to any living space; however, there’s a catch. Image source: Kmart.

However, her excitement quickly turned to disappointment when she discovered that the lamp did not include the LED fairy light bulb, despite it being prominently featured on the product's packaging.

'So in the box, there was only the pink base, and I've bought this lightbulb—[does] anyone know how to get that top part that's in the picture?' Jesse asked.

'There's nothing else in the box, I don't know if I'm missing something obvious.'

The product packaging does state 'globe not included', but Jesse, like many other customers, assumed this referred to a standard light bulb, not the unique fairy light bulb featured in the product image.

The Fairy Globe LED, it turns out, is a separate product sold by Kmart for $12.

'I thought the bulb would be going inside that glass top part—not realising that in itself was a globe!' Jesse said.

Jesse's experience is not unique.

Many other customers have voiced similar complaints, accusing Kmart of deceptive marketing practices.

'Wow that “Globe Not Included” is nice and tucked away isn't it—what a joke!' one customer commented on social media.

'Whilst the box does state the globe isn't included, it does feel deceptive as it's not a standard style globe and gives the impression the fancy globe is part of the lamp,' another customer added.

While a third advised: 'Take it back and get a refund!'

However, not everyone agreed. Some customers have defended Kmart, arguing that the product packaging clearly states what is included.

'The box does say what's included. It's very rare for a lamp to already have the globe,' one customer pointed out.

While another added: 'Kmart sells the globe and also other globes to mix and match. It says on the box that the globe is not included.'
Key Takeaways
  • Jesse, a shopper from Perth discovered that the 'perfect' table lamp she bought from Kmart did not include the LED fairy light bulb shown on the box.
  • Although the box stated 'globe not included', Jesse and other shoppers thought a standard bulb would suffice and did not realise the specific globe depicted was an additional purchase.
  • The situation sparked a debate on social media, with some criticising Kmart for what they perceived as deceptive packaging and others defending the store's clarity in stating that the globe was sold separately.
Members, what are your thoughts on this story? Have you experienced something similar before? Share your thoughts and stories with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
Kmart Australia, a favourite shopping destination for many Aussies, has recently come under fire for a product that has left customers feeling deceived.

The controversy centres around a seemingly minor detail that has left many customers feeling misled and frustrated.

Jesse, a Perth resident, was thrilled when she found what she thought was the perfect table lamp at her local Kmart.

The Sundae Table Lamp, featuring a pink glass base and a whimsical lightbulb on top, seemed like the ideal addition to her living space.

View attachment 39801
Kmart’s $12 Sundae Table Lamp seemed like the perfect addition to any living space; however, there’s a catch. Image source: Kmart.

However, her excitement quickly turned to disappointment when she discovered that the lamp did not include the LED fairy light bulb, despite it being prominently featured on the product's packaging.

'So in the box, there was only the pink base, and I've bought this lightbulb—[does] anyone know how to get that top part that's in the picture?' Jesse asked.

'There's nothing else in the box, I don't know if I'm missing something obvious.'

The product packaging does state 'globe not included', but Jesse, like many other customers, assumed this referred to a standard light bulb, not the unique fairy light bulb featured in the product image.

'I thought the bulb would be going inside that glass top part—not realising that in itself was a globe!' Jesse said.

Many other customers have voiced similar complaints, accusing Kmart of deceptive marketing practices.

'Wow that “Globe Not Included” is nice and tucked away isn't it—what a joke!' one customer commented on social media.

'Whilst the box does state the globe isn't included, it does feel deceptive as it's not a standard style globe and gives the impression the fancy globe is part of the lamp,' another customer added.

However, not everyone agreed. Some customers have defended Kmart, arguing that the product packaging clearly states what is included.

'The box does say what's included. It's very rare for a lamp to already have the globe,' one customer pointed out.

While another added: 'Kmart sells the globe and also other globes to mix and match. It says on the box that the globe is not included.'
Key Takeaways

• Jesse, a shopper from Perth discovered that the 'perfect' table lamp she bought from Kmart did not include the LED fairy light bulb shown on the box.
  • Although the box stated 'globe not included', Jesse and other shoppers thought a standard bulb would suffice and did not realise the specific globe depicted was an additional purchase.
  • The situation sparked a debate on social media, with some criticising Kmart for what they perceived as deceptive packaging and others defending the store's clarity in stating that the globe was sold separately.
Members, what are your thoughts on this story? Have you experienced something similar before? Share your thoughts and stories with us in the comments below.p on

View attachment 39801

Key Takeaways

Members, what are your thoughts on this story? Have you experienced something similar before? Share your thoughts and stories with us in the comments below.
It should have been advertised as a lamp base with suggestions to the different globes

It should have been advertised as a lamp base with suggestions to the different globes that could be used

The lamp looks so cute. And I guess some people can get misled but I have never bought a lamp with a globe in it. I have bought lamps as presents in the past and included a globe (house warming presents) but if globes came with lamps then it would be more costly. I might have to have a look in my local KMart for this lamp and globe...

Reactions: Littleboy8
Wherever I have purchased lamps in the past 50 odd years, none of them have included a globe.
I prefer to buy my own anyhow. It is something that is a matter of preference based on your proposed use.
Last lamp I purchased was at Beacon, and I had to buy a globe. LED is the only way for me.

Wherever I have purchased lamps in the past 50 odd years, none of them have included a globe.
I prefer to buy my own anyhow. It is something that is a matter of preference based on your proposed use.
Last lamp I purchased was at Beacon, and I had to buy a globe. LED is the only way for me.
You must live in Melbourne....