Kmart launches online-exclusive budget white goods!

Fridge not handling the heat? Washing machine just not performing like it used to? Dryer looking a bit knackered? It seems that after years of loyal service, eventually our white goods just can’t cope anymore. But most of these appliances are absolute necessities, and others just make life so much easier!

The lifespan of a typical appliance depends on how much it’s being used in the household and whether it’s energy-efficient or not.

Among the major appliances in a home, dryers and refrigerators have the longest life expectancy of about 13-15 years. On the other hand, appliances such as microwave ovens and dishwashers are among those with the shortest lifespan with about 6-9 years, which is still a pretty long time!

However, replacing big-ticket appliances such as washing machines, dishwashers, and refrigerators always takes a huge toll on our allotted budget.

Maybe that’s why shoppers are bursting with excitement upon the news of trusty ol’ Kmart offering their own affordable range of branded home appliances.

AJlx__uFIVWki1m8dJ7oe7n75bLfpD5kdx2nW6DEEnAWliXasA-B1C6sp3AU-Jvhad509VjV2-z9vYcgRm3tLsMHZhQM_VRglfd9ud_6IHzJj42Db8bmW3B37vSI0g8vVL57sY8M

Kmart offers an affordable range of white products. Credit: Kmart.

Aussies are increasingly considering Kmart as their one-stop shop for all things fashion and home decorating. Add white goods and appliances to the list, and it really is the place for everything!

Kmart’s new range has something for everyone, including dishwashers, dryers, and front and top-loading washing machines.

“The new white goods range was seen as a gap in the market for us to service in this way and provide our customers with everything they need at the lowest prices,” said a spokesperson for the retail store company.

“The products have all received a really positive reception since launching, with customers responding well across all categories.”

Prices start from as low as $249, but some products may only be available to customers in NSW, Queensland, Victoria, Western Australia and South Australia.

Starting with Kmart’s most affordable offer, the $249 vented dryer can take up to a 4.5kg load, making it perfect for rainy days and those times when you’re in a rush. There’s also the 7kg vented dryer, available for $349, which is another great option if you need to dry everything at once!

And for those households with piles of laundry up to their necks, you can opt for the 8kg top load washing machine which is available for $419. For smaller households, check out the 5.5kg top load washing machine for $349.

No space for a top-loading washing machine? Then opt for a front loading one! Kmart also offers a 6kg front load washing machine for $399, with the 7.5kg variant available for $439.

And for our kitchens, there is a 203L top mount fridge that comes with digital temperature control and adjustable glass shelves available for $449. The white variant comes at a cheaper price of $429.

There is also a 60cm freestanding dishwasher, available for $399, that would surely make hand-washing dishes a thing of the past.

You can check out the full collection on their website.

LGx9GesY97kOr83RoMxaAvjEj78Zn-tRBjQjCo7LLYMgRX_5Jm_Z1ll2TxKfFr7N-__tG6Z149Wm6POerQqcKhpK2eh5YR3eqva9NUyMPAHsHOHIqdXF_iP1ufPcY-MUFtuyIHv9

Some of the white goods offered are Kmart’s $449 top mount fridge, $399 dishwasher, and $419 washing machine. Sizes may be inaccurate. Credit: Kmart.

And while it may be tempting to purchase some of these unbelievably affordable appliances, we think it’s also important to consider the running costs of these white items over long-term usage.

Some shoppers warned those tempted by the low-cost appliances. One person on Facebook said: “Don’t get sucked in. Cheap now and a massive bill later. The energy rating is atrocious.”

“You’re better off investing in a better quality appliance upfront. If you care about your energy bill or the environment they aren’t the best purchases,” another person added.

Sponsored
Is buying at a cheap price false economy?
How long do the appliances last?
Do they break down and need expensive repairs the day after the warranty expires, as so often happens?
Or just need replacing too soon?
If you need a quick fix, maybe a good option to consider.

They all breakdown or dont function as well as expected regardless of cost. We bought a new apartment full of SMEG appliances. Oven soooo hot I could not stir something on cooktop while it was on. Replaced with Electrolux Made in Adelaide love it works perfectly. Dishwasher takes 2 hours on eco cycle tell me that is economical! Microwave light went out after 6/12 and could not get it repaired they sent me new globes but no repairman would touch it. Read reviews check with friends and then buy what you think will fill your needs regardless of cost.

SMEG makes beautiful stuff aesthetically, but my experience is similar to @Sunshine45's... It LOOKS great but tends not to work very well / reliably.
Aesthetically??? we are talking about appliances - square, white, or stainless steel with a door...I just want them to function properly! Thanks.

They all breakdown or dont function as well as expected regardless of cost. We bought a new apartment full of SMEG appliances. Oven soooo hot I could not stir something on cooktop while it was on. Replaced with Electrolux Made in Adelaide love it works perfectly. Dishwasher takes 2 hours on eco cycle tell me that is economical! Microwave light went out after 6/12 and could not get it repaired they sent me new globes but no repairman would touch it. Read reviews check with friends and then buy what you think will fill your needs regardless of cost.
Yeah...I don't know how SMEG got its reputation for being a good product... is it just because people believe expensive = good quality... because I just keep hearing story after story about how terrible their products are!!! And are not even cheap!!

My National microwave gave up recently, after 35 years. It never had a service, and the globe still works.
My Westinghouse frig/freezer is 37 years old, still working beautifully.
Perhaps the problem is they don't make things like they used to....?
Exactly it... things were made to last forever...but that doesn't make money...so now things are made to last just longer than their warranty!!

I think all products like this should have to list what the working parts are made of. I had a friend who bought a cheap washing machine (single mum, several kids)... she had it repaired several times in the first year under warranty. .then that ended and to fix it was nearly as much as buying one. She asked the guy why....he told her the secret..... a lot of these cheap products have PLASTIC cogs. He said they're probably OK for an old pensioner who just washes a few light clothes and a sheet once a fortnight ... but the full load of a family soon strip's the teeth off the cogs!!! Always buy metal working parts.... well.. how do you know they are?? They're not listed like the ingredients in our food...but I'm thinking they should be!!

I think all products like this should have to list what the working parts are made of. I had a friend who bought a cheap washing machine (single mum, several kids)... she had it repaired several times in the first year under warranty. .then that ended and to fix it was nearly as much as buying one. She asked the guy why....he told her the secret..... a lot of these cheap products have PLASTIC cogs. He said they're probably OK for an old pensioner who just washes a few light clothes and a sheet once a fortnight ... but the full load of a family soon strip's the teeth off the cogs!!! Always buy metal working parts.... well.. how do you know they are?? They're not listed like the ingredients in our food...but I'm thinking they should be!!
Old pensioner? How dare he!! 😩