Kmart discreetly axes an entire range, leaving customers outraged

If you're familiar with Kmart, like we are here at the SDC, then you know that it offers an incredibly diverse selection of products to meet various needs and lifestyles.

One section that has proven particularly valuable for many people, including those with mobility issues and disabilities, is the 'Independent Living' range. This range can be found online and in-store, and offers a variety of specialty items designed for individuals who use mobility aids.

For example, you can find a shopping trolley with a seat priced at $79, folding walking sticks for $15, mobility walkers for $89, wheelchairs for $169, as well as a range of handrails, cushions, and bathroom accessories.

These items greatly enhance the ability of seniors and mobility-challenged individuals to live independently within their homes.

However, Kmart has recently decided to discontinue selling this range. As a result, all those valuable products are no longer available.

Screen Shot 2023-06-19 at 11.59.38 AM.png
Kmart discreetly removed its 'Independent Living' range from its online platform and physical stores, disappointing customers. Credit: Kmart.

This decision was confirmed by a Kmart spokesperson, who said: 'Yes, we have stopped selling a small number of products in the independent living range. Unfortunately, at this time, there hasn't been a demand for those particular products.'

However, he also mentioned that the store still has a wide range of products promoting inclusivity, well-being, and exercise. These products aim to support customers of all ages and abilities, encompassing various categories.

'Being able to give our customers access to the everyday products they need is at the core of who we are, and we are constantly looking for new and innovative products and ranges that we think our customers will love and will make their everyday living brighter,' explained the spokesperson.

One understandably distressed customer spoke to a news outlet about the disappearance of the Independent Living range, explaining how it personally affected her and her husband.

'I went onto the Kmart website to purchase some items for my husband, who is in the hospital and has mobility issues as a result of his illness,' the shopper explained.

'I have many friends who have purchased walkers and shower seats from Kmart because they're so well-priced. But now, in the Independent Living section, there is only one item: a reduced foam cushion.'

'I was pretty upset. I am a pensioner, and I am now worried about how I'm going to afford these items for my husband. It makes me angry that Kmart isn't catering to a whole group of customers who need them.'

Key Takeaways

• Kmart Australia has quietly removed the 'Independent Living' range from online and in-store, causing customer disappointment.
  • The range included items for people with mobility issues and disabilities, such as walking sticks, wheelchairs, and bathroom accessories.
  • A Kmart spokesperson confirmed the products were removed due to a lack of demand but noted other inclusive products are still available.
  • The decision has prompted angry responses from customers, especially those who rely on affordable items to support their mobility and independence.

Members, we want to hear your thoughts on this unexpected and baffling decision by Kmart. Are you disappointed with the removal of the Independent Living range? Have you previously relied on these products for yourself or a loved one? We encourage you to share your opinions, experiences, and feelings in the comments below.

As always, we'll keep our eyes peeled for alternative affordable options for our community and share any promising discoveries with you all. Stay tuned!

Sponsored
You can’t blame Kmart, they are a business with shareholders.
If they weren’t making enough sales on these products then the obvious outcome is to put another item in that space that will sell.
I personally wouldn’t purchase some of those products from Kmart because I would be worried about the safety aspect of them.

I am very disappointed with K Mary’s decision, I have only just been made aware that K Mart stocked these items , I went straight to K Mart and purchased $500 worth of aids , I have been spreading the word and many friends intended to obtain these goods when they went to Toowoomba ( 5 hours drive ) I hope KMart reconsider

If you're familiar with Kmart, like we are here at the SDC, then you know that it offers an incredibly diverse selection of products to meet various needs and lifestyles.

One section that has proven particularly valuable for many people, including those with mobility issues and disabilities, is the 'Independent Living' range. This range can be found online and in-store, and offers a variety of specialty items designed for individuals who use mobility aids.

For example, you can find a shopping trolley with a seat priced at $79, folding walking sticks for $15, mobility walkers for $89, wheelchairs for $169, as well as a range of handrails, cushions, and bathroom accessories.

These items greatly enhance the ability of seniors and mobility-challenged individuals to live independently within their homes.

However, Kmart has recently decided to discontinue selling this range. As a result, all those valuable products are no longer available.

View attachment 22645
Kmart discreetly removed its 'Independent Living' range from its online platform and physical stores, disappointing customers. Credit: Kmart.

This decision was confirmed by a Kmart spokesperson, who said: 'Yes, we have stopped selling a small number of products in the independent living range. Unfortunately, at this time, there hasn't been a demand for those particular products.'

However, he also mentioned that the store still has a wide range of products promoting inclusivity, well-being, and exercise. These products aim to support customers of all ages and abilities, encompassing various categories.

'Being able to give our customers access to the everyday products they need is at the core of who we are, and we are constantly looking for new and innovative products and ranges that we think our customers will love and will make their everyday living brighter,' explained the spokesperson.

One understandably distressed customer spoke to a news outlet about the disappearance of the Independent Living range, explaining how it personally affected her and her husband.

'I went onto the Kmart website to purchase some items for my husband, who is in the hospital and has mobility issues as a result of his illness,' the shopper explained.

'I have many friends who have purchased walkers and shower seats from Kmart because they're so well-priced. But now, in the Independent Living section, there is only one item: a reduced foam cushion.'

'I was pretty upset. I am a pensioner, and I am now worried about how I'm going to afford these items for my husband. It makes me angry that Kmart isn't catering to a whole group of customers who need them.'

Key Takeaways

• Kmart Australia has quietly removed the 'Independent Living' range from online and in-store, causing customer disappointment.
  • The range included items for people with mobility issues and disabilities, such as walking sticks, wheelchairs, and bathroom accessories.
  • A Kmart spokesperson confirmed the products were removed due to a lack of demand but noted other inclusive products are still available.
  • The decision has prompted angry responses from customers, especially those who rely on affordable items to support their mobility and independence.

Members, we want to hear your thoughts on this unexpected and baffling decision by Kmart. Are you disappointed with the removal of the Independent Living range? Have you previously relied on these products for yourself or a loved one? We encourage you to share your opinions, experiences, and feelings in the comments below.

As always, we'll keep our eyes peeled for alternative affordable options for our community and share any promising discoveries with you all. Stay tuned!
Kmart started reducing what was available in the independent living range when COVID hit over two years ago,I was looking to buy a walker but surprise surprise it wasn’t available either in store or online,was told stock was hard to source but when COVID seemed to reduce Kmart still had barely anything in any of their stores for the independent living range,don’t know why they even kept the range when the only item I could find was a walking stick,I’m no longer a shopper at Kmart because they don’t seem to care about what customers want or need it’s like they think people that are elderly or not mobile don’t shop there
Not happy

View attachment 22645

Key Takeaways

As usual us oldies are disregarded and thrown to the rubbish pile, they should have given us a time period to buy these items say 3 months so we could stock up for all our mobility needs at a reasonable price. Good one Kmart I feel so disheartened at your concern for us oldies.

This seems to me like a short sighted decision by KMart. We are a growing demographic and are pretty savvy shoppers to make the most of our available funds. KMart should give some thought to the fact that disappointed customers a) tend to spread the word to their friends and community about it and b) wont go there to buy the rest of the products that KMart stock. Having a good Corporate profile with what is a growing group of potential shoppers would make commercial sense.
I have never seen a TV ad for the range - perhaps promote it and emphasise that the products meet Australian Safety regulations. I think they’d find they sold a great deal of product.

View attachment 22645

Key Takeaways

I did not know they even sold these products. Had I known, I certainly would have purchased them through their stores. Disappointing they made the decision to scrap them just when times are tough enough. Aldi have them from time to time, but that is always a rare time and always a first in best dressed scenario.

View attachment 22645

Key Takeaways

Didn't even know the line existed advertising it better with adds on TV 📺 would have helped K Mart a bit of brain fade in marketing

View attachment 22645

Key Takeaways

That is absolutely outrageous, even if they would keep say 2 or 3ti show the customers, and if they thought it would be suitable that one could then be ordered for them

View attachment 22645

Key Takeaways

Kmart lost me as a customer when it went all WOKE, and cared more for Social Justice issues than its customers, like refusing to sell anything with an Australian flag on it on Australia Day.

View attachment 22645

Key Takeaways

Maybe not enough people knew they had these products. I was surprised when I found them.

typical of the big corporate s no concern for the little guy if they had done some advertising of this range a lot more people would have know about it and most certainly would have bought from them but like a lot of people I did not know they sold these items well I guess I will not bother with KMart now

never knew they existed there. Where were they hiding. They only have to keep a couple of everything- but no - purchasing price will be higher as if they can't afford it to have less profit. Yet some chemists can carry a few but higher priced. These products are not easy to locate. Buying online does not help- if you are tall for one thing you need to check height of walkers and sticks so you aren't bent over.

View attachment 22645

Key Takeaways

I find it disgusting that Kmart discontinued these items, but, is more than happy to pander to the "inclusivity" people and I'm afraid seems intent on pushing their woke agenda. I will not be purchasing from Kmart or Target in future whilst ever they keep pandering to these minority groups just to make themselves feel good. Sounds like age discrimination to me! Not Happy.

You can’t blame Kmart, they are a business with shareholders.
If they weren’t making enough sales on these products then the obvious outcome is to put another item in that space that will sell.
I personally wouldn’t purchase some of those products from Kmart because I would be worried about the safety aspect of them.
They might of made sales if they took time to promote these items instead of pushing rainbows and unicorns!

View attachment 22645

Key Takeaways

Chemist Warehouse stock a range of aids similar to previously offered by K Mart

View attachment 22645

Key Takeaways

As always we aged folks miss out. I can certainly understand why Kmart has discontinued this line if they're not selling. It would have been good if they still had them online for a while before totally eliminating them. We look to Kmart for reasonably priced items and now having to purchase from specialty stores limits many of us to what we can afford.