Kathy Bates reveals weight loss secret amid Ozempic rumours: 'This was hard work for me'

Academy Award-winning actress Kathy Bates has been in the spotlight for quite a while.

Apart from her remarkable acting skills, Bates also shared about her incredible weight loss journey.

For over seven years, the 76-year-old actress has shed an impressive 100 pounds, a feat that sparked curiosity and rumours about how she achieved such a transformation.

Recently, Kathy Bates addressed the whispers which suggested that her weight loss was solely due to Ozempic.

'There's been a lot of talk that I was just able to do this because of Ozempic, but I have to impress upon people out there that this was hard work for me, especially during the pandemic,' Bates shared in an interview.

'It's very hard to say you've had enough.'

compressed-kathy bates.jpeg
Kathy Bates shared about her weight loss journey which spanned seven years. Image Credit: Wikipedia, CBS

Her journey began when everyday movements became significant.

The turning point came after she was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in 2017.

'Diabetes runs in my family, and I'd seen what my father had gone through. He had had a leg amputation. One of my sisters is dealing with it very seriously, and it terrified me. It scared me straight,' she recounted.

The Matlock star first tackled her diet as she cut out late-night eating and unhealthy staples like burgers, sodas, and pizza.

While indulging in occasional treats, she focused on nourishing her body with healthier choices.

Her dietary changes were the first step in her weight loss journey, accounting for an 80-pound reduction.

When Bates started using Ozempic, she understood that the medication was not a magic bullet.

She had already put in a significant amount of work and saw it as an additional tool to help her lose 20 more pounds.

Ozempic, often prescribed to patients in managing Diabetes, is also famous for its weight loss side effects.

However, with the medication, Bates was adamant that her success was not solely due to the drug.

Exercise also played a crucial role in her transformation.

With the first season of the CBS reboot of Matlock wrapped up, Bates started focusing on establishing a new workout routine.

She has invested in a treadmill at home and considered trying Pilates.

She expressed her preference for exercising without a trainer and highlighted the importance of self-motivation and commitment to her health journey.

The benefits of Bates' weight loss extended beyond the scale.

She also experienced a significant improvement in her lymphedema symptoms—a condition that causes swelling in the body.

'I'm lucky that I don't have to wear my compression sleeves every day,' Bates shared.

'It's such a thrill to be able to put my arm into a jacket, and it fits.'

Bates' story is one of power, determination, and hard work.

It's a reminder that while medications can assist in the process, they are not a substitute for the fundamental changes necessary for sustainable weight loss.

Her experience could also be an inspiration to others and showed that it's never too late to take control of your health and well-being.
Key Takeaways

• Kathy Bates opened up about the hard work she put in to achieve her 100-pound weight loss.
  • The actress lost 80 pounds through diet and exercise before using Ozempic to lose 20 more pounds.
  • Bates was motivated to lose weight due to her type 2 diabetes diagnosis and the health struggles her family members faced.
  • Alongside her diet changes, she also incorporated a new workout routine and managed her lymphedema symptoms in the process.
Have you made any significant lifestyle changes that improved your health? We'd love to hear your thoughts on Kathy Bates' weight loss journey and your wellness journey in the comments section below!

Sponsored