Karl Stefanovic speaks out against 'rude' act before Queen's funeral

The death of Queen Elizabeth II has been a sensitive time. She has been a symbol of stability for the Commonwealth for decades and her death is mourned by many.

The late Queen was a much-loved figurehead, and her passing no doubt brought up many emotions for those who have been loyal to her and the monarchy. It is a time to reflect on her legacy and, for some, to think about the future of the monarchy.

As many mourn the passing of the late monarch, some groups have reignited debates on whether the Commonwealth monarchy should be abolished in Australia in favour of a republic.

The Australian Republic Movement has come under fire from Today Show hosts Karl Stefanovic and Allison Langdon for openly debating a referendum before Queen Elizabeth II was even been laid to rest.

Karl lashed out at the group stating that it was unacceptable to bring up such topics during a time of loss and grief.

T4ZuuCszkj5_tx5LaG2QpfeVoqTxupsphsn_6V30aLTswjv5w4STWqUxYnD4IXqPW4mctzh1y8uQ5dyBnG927SHNXhw2mGZIH3cSk-uG0uwYrUaFTfX4FrTGRSvkxWJ1AoNnYC3eBUEkRYiKFaHX9i0oj54OdYAHREdSjwmJaY4mDaldUeNb1KRy

Karl called out the Australian Republic Movement for its inappropriate discussion of the new Australian Republic at a time of mourning. Credit: Nine.

The anchor lashed out, mentioning founding member Malcolm Turnbull and Australian Republic Movement Chair Peter FitzSimons, husband of former Today host Lisa Wilkinson, as the movement's 'pasty white guys' who will bring the movement to its demise.

He said: 'There's still people out there doing it. I just think it's so rude.'

'Let me tell you, it is not going to happen while you've got pasty white guys like Peter FitzSimons and Malcolm Turnbull fronting up in Australia.'

His co-host, Allison, agreed with Karl's comments, saying: 'I did tell Peter if he was at the front of the movement, I would always vote for a monarchy.'

The Australian Republic Movement has since temporarily suspended its efforts to lobby for the establishment of a new Australian Republic until after the late Queen's funeral.

FitzSimons has previously been openly critical of King Charles III and stated in an interview with the Daily Mail earlier this year that he anticipated a republican sentiment to 'get a surge once Australia leans in close and looks at' the new monarch.

Despite being married to Peter, Lisa Wilkinson was sent to London to cover the Queen's passing and funeral for The Project.

-CInx5y8sZcaZg3FR4AdAtPtSjqzShlYlGiKWr8_HSPH-F-kqB4YliMdWAh3ZHcG6ef55q1S_RLegUVoMQP4WvA3rDO9fOGW3uZUBsUh4dlZg6NK73NikDPnvOCsEcHFXKIb6kAKMD2ptEq7BGMVYaOkydFZQXLpPrSSZ4a0rX9bghHhaOd2X5Qa

Lisa Wilkinson was sent to London to cover the Queen’s death and funeral despite being married to ARM Chair Peter FitzSimons. Credit: Yahoo! via Getty Images.

The Australian reports that Channel Ten insisted Lisa was always the best candidate to send to London because she covered both Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's wedding and Prince William and Kate Middleton's wedding and has a wealth of knowledge about the royal family thanks to her experience as a magazine editor.

It's unclear whether Lisa agrees with her husband's strong opinions on the subject.

The monarchy has been a controversial institution at timesand there are valid arguments for and against its existence and influence in Australia. However, many people are still grieving the loss of a beloved monarch and discussions of the future of Australia are a sensitive subject.

As we mourn Queen Elizabeth II, it is important that we pay our respects to her and her service to the Commonwealth. She was a widely-respected monarch who was loved by many and her death has caused many to grieve her loss. She was a strong leader who made a lasting impact on the world.

Do you share the same sentiments as Karl? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
The death of Queen Elizabeth II has been a sensitive time. She has been a symbol of stability for the Commonwealth for decades and her death is mourned by many.

The late Queen was a much-loved figurehead, and her passing no doubt brought up many emotions for those who have been loyal to her and the monarchy. It is a time to reflect on her legacy and, for some, to think about the future of the monarchy.

As many mourn the passing of the late monarch, some groups have reignited debates on whether the Commonwealth monarchy should be abolished in Australia in favour of a republic.

The Australian Republic Movement has come under fire from Today Show hosts Karl Stefanovic and Allison Langdon for openly debating a referendum before Queen Elizabeth II was even been laid to rest.

Karl lashed out at the group stating that it was unacceptable to bring up such topics during a time of loss and grief.

T4ZuuCszkj5_tx5LaG2QpfeVoqTxupsphsn_6V30aLTswjv5w4STWqUxYnD4IXqPW4mctzh1y8uQ5dyBnG927SHNXhw2mGZIH3cSk-uG0uwYrUaFTfX4FrTGRSvkxWJ1AoNnYC3eBUEkRYiKFaHX9i0oj54OdYAHREdSjwmJaY4mDaldUeNb1KRy

Karl called out the Australian Republic Movement for its inappropriate discussion of the new Australian Republic at a time of mourning. Credit: Nine.

The anchor lashed out, mentioning founding member Malcolm Turnbull and Australian Republic Movement Chair Peter FitzSimons, husband of former Today host Lisa Wilkinson, as the movement's 'pasty white guys' who will bring the movement to its demise.

'Let me tell you, it is not going to happen while you've got pasty white guys like Peter FitzSimons and Malcolm Turnbull fronting up in Australia.'

His co-host, Allison, agreed with Karl's comments, saying: 'I did tell Peter if he was at the front of the movement, I would always vote for a monarchy.'

The Australian Republic Movement has since temporarily suspended its efforts to lobby for the establishment of a new Australian Republic until after the late Queen's funeral.

FitzSimons has previously been openly critical of King Charles III and stated in an interview with the Daily Mail earlier this year that he anticipated a republican sentiment to 'get a surge once Australia leans in close and looks at' the new monarch.

Despite being married to Peter, Lisa Wilkinson was sent to London to cover the Queen's passing and funeral for The Project.

-CInx5y8sZcaZg3FR4AdAtPtSjqzShlYlGiKWr8_HSPH-F-kqB4YliMdWAh3ZHcG6ef55q1S_RLegUVoMQP4WvA3rDO9fOGW3uZUBsUh4dlZg6NK73NikDPnvOCsEcHFXKIb6kAKMD2ptEq7BGMVYaOkydFZQXLpPrSSZ4a0rX9bghHhaOd2X5Qa

Lisa Wilkinson was sent to London to cover the Queen’s death and funeral despite being married to ARM Chair Peter FitzSimons. Credit: Yahoo! via Getty Images.

The Australian reports that Channel Ten insisted Lisa was always the best candidate to send to London because she covered both Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's wedding and Prince William and Kate Middleton's wedding and has a wealth of knowledge about the royal family thanks to her experience as a magazine editor.

It's unclear whether Lisa agrees with her husband's strong opinions on the subject.

The monarchy has been a controversial institution at timesand there are valid arguments for and against its existence and influence in Australia. However, many people are still grieving the loss of a beloved monarch and discussions of the future of Australia are a sensitive subject.

As we mourn Queen Elizabeth II, it is important that we pay our respects to her and her service to the Commonwealth. She was a widely-respected monarch who was loved by many and her death has caused many to grieve her loss. She was a strong leader who made a lasting impact on the world.

Do you share the same sentiments as Karl? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.
They don't care about the Monarchy, the death of QE2 or anything other than their own agenda. Their attitude and timing is disgusting and self-serving. They wouldn't live here if it wasn't for the British empire...warts and all!

The funeral and accompanying pomp and ceremony is a wonderful example of the best in people; showing real class, refinement, dignity, discipline, respect etc. All working together as one for a common goal, love and affection for a true leader and beloved Queen.

What would we offer in exchange? What kind of Head of State would Australia provide? There is no comparison. Of course we're younger as a nation (by thousands of years) and more "laid back". But that doesn't mean we can't lift our game to regain some of the dignity, refinement, grace and maturity that once was the norm here. Only then will we be worthy of becoming totally independent.

We may become a republic one day, but not until these gooses respect the process, the people and give us a system worthy of such a grand change and applicable to all our needs moving forward, without totally abandoning what we gained from the past.

turnbull and symonds. (both men made by marriage)both tall poppy cutters,&idiots,what advantage in dropping the royals?they cost nothing for us and while we remain connected to the king we are safe, if we remove the king and replace him with an Aussie (imagine the cost for him and his staff/residence/perks/etc )the increase in defence etc...for what advantage us...I can't see anything but negatives, where is the positives?..we can't even get some good poles
We already pay for a Governor General who performs exactly the same function a President would.
We can still remain a member of the Commonwealth as does Canada except we would no longer answer to the monarchy, a foreign power.
You can't see the advantages and only negatives because you choose not to be informed.
A Republic will happen, it's just a matter of time.

Reactions: Suzanne rose
I think the monarchy provides the UK, Australia and all commonwealth countries the benefit of non political guidance and an unbiased view on current events.
Absolutely invaluable in this day and age of charlatans and big noters who run governments.
I would never vote for a republic!

If it isn't broke leave it as it is, many States who have left the Commonwealth are now shambling about what they used to be, I think many people have underestimated Charles in the past, Australia is one of his favorite places.
I agree. King Charles lll does not get an income as head of state in Australia. Doesn’t cost us a cent.
How much would it cost the Australian tax payer to employ an Australian head of state? And would they receive an awesome pension, like our politicians, when they retire?

turnbull and symonds. (both men made by marriage)both tall poppy cutters,&idiots,what advantage in dropping the royals?they cost nothing for us and while we remain connected to the king we are safe, if we remove the king and replace him with an Aussie (imagine the cost for him and his staff/residence/perks/etc )the increase in defence etc...for what advantage us...I can't see anything but negatives, where is the positives?..we can't even get some good poles
safe from what?

Karl is an idiot and adulterer like Charles no time for either of them bring on the Republic

Well I don’t get why you’d even want to change what we’ve got now…works fine, the monarchy is apolitical & doesn’t actually interfere with us…we’re already our own boss
A président on the other hand, far out, imagine the cost
The monarchy has evolved and taken on a benign service role these days with a rich history and fabulous pr, responsible for a wealth of good works/charities/environmental hope
They are the custodians of a wondrous & vast museum of property and tradition, that we are all invited to enjoy from time to time, and they cost us nothing
I have no feeling to become a US or Russia or other presidency country
What’s not to love the way we are?
Anyone who’s pushing for a republic has a hidden agenda for sure
Be careful what you wish for, my grandpa used to say….

Last edited:

Although Karl thinks he has the inside running on things his manner and personal dislike of some members of the Royal family are not generally agreed by the majority. It is what it is but inappropriate at this time.

There is a time and place for everything and it's definitely not the time to talk about becoming a Republic.
It's all about respect.

As long as it's not costing Australia anything why fix something that's not broken

To be honest I don't think Charles will reign for long , he will abdicate and give the crown to William who I believe will be an amazing King

Last edited:
That's OK folks. I've started collecting videos of our beloved King Charles III throwing tantrums. Feel free to ask me to share them with you. But if a majority of Australians want a spoilt, entitled, gormless twit as their brave and fearless leader, who am I to argue.
Who is willing to throw the first stone?? We are all guilty of tantrums at least once. Despite his faults and our dislike of him, let's forgive him and give him a chance. Move forward. You never know, he may just surprise us all :)

Reactions: Estelle Brown
That's OK folks. I've started collecting videos of our beloved King Charles III throwing tantrums. Feel free to ask me to share them with you. But if a majority of Australians want a spoilt, entitled, gormless twit as their brave and fearless leader, who am I to argue.
That was not the point - the timing was!

You want a republic? .. Abolish the Commonwealth Games, Abolish open trade with the UK now that they have opened the doors after Brexit.. Abolish Bristish Migration and open the doors for China Trade and Immigration? ... Turn your back on Commonwealth Island in the Pacific (that should save us millions) (Tongue in cheeK) Remove all militiary support from Britian. Maybe we should kick out anyone that claim to support Charles and Burn down Timbertop. Some Aussies are the dumbest people on this planet. AND WE BRED THEM.. Don't cry for me when I move off this planet. Happiness is where you find it and I am having more and more problems finding it at the moment and if we are going to support Symonds and Turnbull. You deserve them . It all smells bad to me..

Yes I fully agree with Karl and Allison.

Please share the videos

• Sad
Reactions: June E
I agree. King Charles lll does not get an income as head of state in Australia. Doesn’t cost us a cent.
How much would it cost the Australian tax payer to employ an Australian head of state? And would they receive an awesome pension, like our politicians, when they retire?
And who is going to run for president here ? People like FitzSymons ? Or an Aussie version of Trump, God help us !
This country is not rolling in cash to afford a president and all that goes with one.
It’s also hard enough to vote for Prime Minister and the rest of the politicians, imagine trying to vote for a president especially if it’s like the USA that goes on forever!
I hope we stick with the monarchy.

Rather the Monarchy than a republic a-la USA, Fance, Italy etc. Complete shambles these republics with idiots/reprehensible heads of state. Under our current system we at least have separation of monarchy to government..