Karl Stefanovic speaks out against 'rude' act before Queen's funeral

The death of Queen Elizabeth II has been a sensitive time. She has been a symbol of stability for the Commonwealth for decades and her death is mourned by many.

The late Queen was a much-loved figurehead, and her passing no doubt brought up many emotions for those who have been loyal to her and the monarchy. It is a time to reflect on her legacy and, for some, to think about the future of the monarchy.

As many mourn the passing of the late monarch, some groups have reignited debates on whether the Commonwealth monarchy should be abolished in Australia in favour of a republic.

The Australian Republic Movement has come under fire from Today Show hosts Karl Stefanovic and Allison Langdon for openly debating a referendum before Queen Elizabeth II was even been laid to rest.

Karl lashed out at the group stating that it was unacceptable to bring up such topics during a time of loss and grief.

T4ZuuCszkj5_tx5LaG2QpfeVoqTxupsphsn_6V30aLTswjv5w4STWqUxYnD4IXqPW4mctzh1y8uQ5dyBnG927SHNXhw2mGZIH3cSk-uG0uwYrUaFTfX4FrTGRSvkxWJ1AoNnYC3eBUEkRYiKFaHX9i0oj54OdYAHREdSjwmJaY4mDaldUeNb1KRy

Karl called out the Australian Republic Movement for its inappropriate discussion of the new Australian Republic at a time of mourning. Credit: Nine.

The anchor lashed out, mentioning founding member Malcolm Turnbull and Australian Republic Movement Chair Peter FitzSimons, husband of former Today host Lisa Wilkinson, as the movement's 'pasty white guys' who will bring the movement to its demise.

He said: 'There's still people out there doing it. I just think it's so rude.'

'Let me tell you, it is not going to happen while you've got pasty white guys like Peter FitzSimons and Malcolm Turnbull fronting up in Australia.'

His co-host, Allison, agreed with Karl's comments, saying: 'I did tell Peter if he was at the front of the movement, I would always vote for a monarchy.'

The Australian Republic Movement has since temporarily suspended its efforts to lobby for the establishment of a new Australian Republic until after the late Queen's funeral.

FitzSimons has previously been openly critical of King Charles III and stated in an interview with the Daily Mail earlier this year that he anticipated a republican sentiment to 'get a surge once Australia leans in close and looks at' the new monarch.

Despite being married to Peter, Lisa Wilkinson was sent to London to cover the Queen's passing and funeral for The Project.

-CInx5y8sZcaZg3FR4AdAtPtSjqzShlYlGiKWr8_HSPH-F-kqB4YliMdWAh3ZHcG6ef55q1S_RLegUVoMQP4WvA3rDO9fOGW3uZUBsUh4dlZg6NK73NikDPnvOCsEcHFXKIb6kAKMD2ptEq7BGMVYaOkydFZQXLpPrSSZ4a0rX9bghHhaOd2X5Qa

Lisa Wilkinson was sent to London to cover the Queen’s death and funeral despite being married to ARM Chair Peter FitzSimons. Credit: Yahoo! via Getty Images.

The Australian reports that Channel Ten insisted Lisa was always the best candidate to send to London because she covered both Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's wedding and Prince William and Kate Middleton's wedding and has a wealth of knowledge about the royal family thanks to her experience as a magazine editor.

It's unclear whether Lisa agrees with her husband's strong opinions on the subject.

The monarchy has been a controversial institution at timesand there are valid arguments for and against its existence and influence in Australia. However, many people are still grieving the loss of a beloved monarch and discussions of the future of Australia are a sensitive subject.

As we mourn Queen Elizabeth II, it is important that we pay our respects to her and her service to the Commonwealth. She was a widely-respected monarch who was loved by many and her death has caused many to grieve her loss. She was a strong leader who made a lasting impact on the world.

Do you share the same sentiments as Karl? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
The death of Queen Elizabeth II has been a sensitive time. She has been a symbol of stability for the Commonwealth for decades and her death is mourned by many.

The late Queen was a much-loved figurehead, and her passing no doubt brought up many emotions for those who have been loyal to her and the monarchy. It is a time to reflect on her legacy and, for some, to think about the future of the monarchy.

As many mourn the passing of the late monarch, some groups have reignited debates on whether the Commonwealth monarchy should be abolished in Australia in favour of a republic.

The Australian Republic Movement has come under fire from Today Show hosts Karl Stefanovic and Allison Langdon for openly debating a referendum before Queen Elizabeth II was even been laid to rest.

Karl lashed out at the group stating that it was unacceptable to bring up such topics during a time of loss and grief.

T4ZuuCszkj5_tx5LaG2QpfeVoqTxupsphsn_6V30aLTswjv5w4STWqUxYnD4IXqPW4mctzh1y8uQ5dyBnG927SHNXhw2mGZIH3cSk-uG0uwYrUaFTfX4FrTGRSvkxWJ1AoNnYC3eBUEkRYiKFaHX9i0oj54OdYAHREdSjwmJaY4mDaldUeNb1KRy

Karl called out the Australian Republic Movement for its inappropriate discussion of the new Australian Republic at a time of mourning. Credit: Nine.

The anchor lashed out, mentioning founding member Malcolm Turnbull and Australian Republic Movement Chair Peter FitzSimons, husband of former Today host Lisa Wilkinson, as the movement's 'pasty white guys' who will bring the movement to its demise.

'Let me tell you, it is not going to happen while you've got pasty white guys like Peter FitzSimons and Malcolm Turnbull fronting up in Australia.'

His co-host, Allison, agreed with Karl's comments, saying: 'I did tell Peter if he was at the front of the movement, I would always vote for a monarchy.'

The Australian Republic Movement has since temporarily suspended its efforts to lobby for the establishment of a new Australian Republic until after the late Queen's funeral.

FitzSimons has previously been openly critical of King Charles III and stated in an interview with the Daily Mail earlier this year that he anticipated a republican sentiment to 'get a surge once Australia leans in close and looks at' the new monarch.

Despite being married to Peter, Lisa Wilkinson was sent to London to cover the Queen's passing and funeral for The Project.

-CInx5y8sZcaZg3FR4AdAtPtSjqzShlYlGiKWr8_HSPH-F-kqB4YliMdWAh3ZHcG6ef55q1S_RLegUVoMQP4WvA3rDO9fOGW3uZUBsUh4dlZg6NK73NikDPnvOCsEcHFXKIb6kAKMD2ptEq7BGMVYaOkydFZQXLpPrSSZ4a0rX9bghHhaOd2X5Qa

Lisa Wilkinson was sent to London to cover the Queen’s death and funeral despite being married to ARM Chair Peter FitzSimons. Credit: Yahoo! via Getty Images.

The Australian reports that Channel Ten insisted Lisa was always the best candidate to send to London because she covered both Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's wedding and Prince William and Kate Middleton's wedding and has a wealth of knowledge about the royal family thanks to her experience as a magazine editor.

It's unclear whether Lisa agrees with her husband's strong opinions on the subject.

The monarchy has been a controversial institution at timesand there are valid arguments for and against its existence and influence in Australia. However, many people are still grieving the loss of a beloved monarch and discussions of the future of Australia are a sensitive subject.

As we mourn Queen Elizabeth II, it is important that we pay our respects to her and her service to the Commonwealth. She was a widely-respected monarch who was loved by many and her death has caused many to grieve her loss. She was a strong leader who made a lasting impact on the world.

Do you share the same sentiments as Karl? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.
Yes agree with Karl,

yes agree with Karl , absolutely disgraceful behaviour by the Republican movement, after watching the disrespectful display and comments from them and from others disrespecting the Queen, I will definitely not vote for a Republic, if this is how they act towards a much loved woman who devoted her life to making the world a better place then why would anyone want to be part of a republic that shows such disrespect.

That's OK folks. I've started collecting videos of our beloved King Charles III throwing tantrums. Feel free to ask me to share them with you. But if a majority of Australians want a spoilt, entitled, gormless twit as their brave and fearless leader, who am I to argue.

I fully expect that given enough time the Republicans will get their own way, I shudder at the thought as I can't think of any one person I would like to see as our Head Of State. To be honest I don't rate any of the current crop of Pollies, they do not fill me with confidence, nor have they earned my trust.;):(

Agree totally with Karl and also Ali. Not the time or the place for such antics.
The topic is much bigger and warrants debate with the anti movement being full of lefties who have their own personal agendas. The replacement of the Monarch with a President would be a worry as I haven't experienced any Prime Ministers who would qualify as Statesmen or Stateswomen of recent time.
It's time that Turnbull and Fitzsimons pulled their heads in and didn't force their opinions on the silent majority.

I was disappointed that people couldn't even wait until after the Queen's funeral to start this, and even more disappointed with the venom which has been thrown by both sides. The Republican movement themselves said early on that it was NOT time to be discussing it, and called for respect.

You just have to laugh at these 2 old, decrepit, has beens. Only way to get their ugly mugs on tv or the news is sprout the same old shit. What a couple of losers. The good thing to remember is that while ever these two half wits are front and centre of the Republican movement the republic will never happen. Dumb and dumber.

turnbull and symonds. (both men made by marriage)both tall poppy cutters,&idiots,what advantage in dropping the royals?they cost nothing for us and while we remain connected to the king we are safe, if we remove the king and replace him with an Aussie (imagine the cost for him and his staff/residence/perks/etc )the increase in defence etc...for what advantage us...I can't see anything but negatives, where is the positives?..we can't even get some good poles

I agree with Karl, this is not the time for a change or the discussion of such a big move. We should be backing the new King as he has shown such strength in this time & he needs all the support we can give. He & his Queen consort have shown their love for the general public as did the late Queen in such a difficult time for them as a family in morning. As one commentator said at the funeral that the loss of a Queen & priminster in the same week would have meant bloodshed in some parts of the world. But not in a country where there is such a long history of the sensitive rule the UK has had. Give Charles R the chance to prove he is his mother's son & support him for as long as he needs.

What's with the red rag on his bonce, does he think it makes him look like one of the in crowd? actually makes him look a right prat eejit.