Jetstar passengers stranded in overseas airport stirs online discussion after getting 'muesli' compensation

It can get tedious and enraging when flights get delayed.

Whether it's sitting in the departure lounge stewing in your disappointment or parting with that extra money that you have to pay for unexpected accommodation, delayed flights truly test passengers’ patience.

Unfortunately, a group of unlucky Jetstar passengers bound for Australia had no such luck when they were left stranded in a Japanese airport for over 24 hours due to heavy snowfall.

One flyer took to social media to share their experience, and they weren’t pleased, to put it lightly!

‘My flight from Japan to Australia was delayed from 9pm to 1pm the following day,’ a user shared on Reddit.

‘They gave us blankets and muesli bars instead of hotels.’

z39mabqrw4ea1.jpg
One Jetstar flyer recently shared their experience after being stranded in a Japanese airport. Image Credit: Reddit/user Laika2206

Another user who happened to be on the same cancelled flight chimed in, and said: 'These blankets were literally handed out at 4 am and they kept everyone completely in the dark about the flight delays. No announcements, no nothing.’

Many others expressed their reactions to the flyers’ sentiments, and the responses are quite telling.

‘What a surprise,’ one user said after finding out the name of the airline involved.

‘This is why I don’t fly Jetstar,’ a second shared. ‘The airline is a joke. I was delayed for 24 hours with Emirates. I was given a hotel and someone picked me up from the arrival gate and took me there. Free meals and another person to take me back to my gate the next day. You get what you pay for.’

‘I’ve had an 18-hour delay in Ho Chi Minh (Vietnam), I didn’t even get a blanket or a muesli bar!’ a third exclaimed.

Jetstar confirmed the development in a statement, which explained the incident in detail.

‘Due to heavy snowfall, the bridge connecting the mainland of Osaka to Kansai International Airport was closed overnight, preventing our crew from accessing the airport,' they said.

'This caused a significant delay to our flight from Osaka to Cairns. Unfortunately, the bridge closure also meant customers already at the airport were unable to leave, meaning they couldn't access hotels in the city.’

'We know it would have been an uncomfortable night for our customers and we offered support by providing them with meals, water and blankets.

'We always do everything we can to avoid delays, but severe weather like this is out of our control.'

Screenshot_3.png
Jetstar flyers are entitled to compensation based on whether or not the reason for the delay or the cancellation of the flight is within the airline’s control. Image Credit:Jetstar

A glance at Jetstar’s website reveals that for passengers affected by delays caused by factors out of their control, a credit voucher worth the value of the flight is available upon request.

‘Delay or cancellation outside our control includes weather events, air traffic control issues, industrial action by a third party, security issues,’ they said.

Conversely, for factors such as engineering issues and system outages that Jetstar will admit is within its control, passengers whose flights are delayed or cancelled for more than 3 hours at international airports are entitled to accommodations (or reimbursements, in cases where a passenger opts to arrange their own).

Key Takeaways

• A flight from Japan to Australia was delayed more than 24 hours due to a heavy snowfall.
  • Passengers waiting at the airport were not given hotel rooms and were instead given blankets and muesli bars, according to one who posted on Reddit.
  • The bridge connecting the mainland of Osaka to the airport was closed due to the weather, which prevented Jetstar crew from accessing the airport.
  • Jetstar said they provided the passengers with meals, water and blankets, but acknowledged it was an uncomfortable night for the customers.

Members, if you ever find yourself in a similar situation, it would be wise to look into all the other options of relief that you may be eligible for!

All airlines have customer protection policies that cover such scenarios, so be sure to familiarise yourselves on what your rights are should your flights get delayed or cancelled.

In related news, another Jetstar flight earlier this month set for a flight in Japan made a sudden diversion due to an anonymous bomb threat.

And just days after the New Year, two Jetstar passengers arrived in Bali were livid after finding out that they made it to their destination… but their luggage didn’t.

So, what is your reaction to this news? Have you ever been stuck in a similar situation? How did your airline handle the delay or cancellation?

Tell us your thoughts and stories below!

Sponsored
That's crazy I thought the standard was if your flight is delayed a whole day your given accommodation

Reactions: Ricci
It can get tedious and enraging when flights get delayed.

Whether it's sitting in the departure lounge stewing in your disappointment or parting with that extra unexpected money that you have to pay for unexpected accommodation, delayed flights truly test passengers’ patience.

Unfortunately, a group of unlucky Jetstar passengers bound for Australia had no such luck when they were left stranded in a Japanese airport for over 24 hours due to heavy snowfall.

One flyer took to social media to share their experience, and they weren’t pleased, to put it lightly!

‘My flight from Japan to Australia was delayed from 9pm to 1pm the following day,’ a user shared on Reddit.

‘They gave us blankets and muesli bars instead of hotels.’

View attachment 12310
One Jetstar flyer recently shared their experience after being stranded in a Japanese airport. Image Credit: Reddit/user Laika2206

Another user who happened to be on the same cancelled flight chimed in, and said: 'These blankets were literally handed out at 4 am and they kept everyone completely in the dark about the flight delays. No announcements, no nothing.’

Many others expressed their reactions to the flyers’ sentiments, and the responses are quite telling.

‘What a surprise,’ one user said after finding out the name of the airline involved.

‘This is why I don’t fly Jetstar,’ a second shared. ‘The airline is a joke. I was delayed for 24 hours with Emirates. I was given a hotel and someone picked me up from the arrival gate and took me there. Free meals and another person to take me back to my gate the next day. You get what you pay for.’

‘I’ve had an 18-hour delay in Ho Chi Minh (Vietnam), I didn’t even get a blanket or a muesli bar!’ a third exclaimed.

Jetstar confirmed the development in a statement, which explained the incident in detail.

‘Due to heavy snowfall, the bridge connecting the mainland of Osaka to Kansai International Airport was closed overnight, preventing our crew from accessing the airport,' they said.

'This caused a significant delay to our flight from Osaka to Cairns. Unfortunately, the bridge closure also meant customers already at the airport were unable to leave, meaning they couldn't access hotels in the city.’

'We know it would have been an uncomfortable night for our customers and we offered support by providing them with meals, water and blankets.

'We always do everything we can to avoid delays, but severe weather like this is out of our control.'

View attachment 12311
Jetstar flyers are entitled to compensation based on whether or not the reason for the delay or the cancellation of the flight is within the airline’s control. Image Credit:Jetstar

A glance at Jetstar’s website reveals that for passengers affected by delays caused by factors out of their control, a credit voucher worth the value of the flight is available upon request.

‘Delay or cancellation outside our control includes weather events, air traffic control issues, industrial action by a third party, security issues,’ they said.

Conversely, for factors such as engineering issues and system outages that Jetstar will admit is within its control, passengers whose flights are delayed or cancelled for more than 3 hours at international airports are entitled to accommodations (or reimbursements, in cases where a passenger opts to arrange their own).

Key Takeaways

• A flight from Japan to Australia was delayed more than 24 hours due to a heavy snowfall.
  • Passengers waiting at the airport were not given hotel rooms and were instead given blankets and muesli bars, according to one who posted on Reddit.
  • The bridge connecting the mainland of Osaka to the airport was closed due to the weather, which prevented Jetstar crew from accessing the airport.
  • Jetstar said they provided the passengers with meals, water and blankets, but acknowledged it was an uncomfortable night for the customers.

Members, if you ever find yourself in a similar situation, it would be wise to look into all the other options of relief that you may be eligible for!

All airlines have customer protection policies that cover such scenarios, so be sure to familiarise yourselves on what your rights are should your flights get delayed or cancelled.

In related news, another Jetstar flight earlier this month set for a flight in Japan made a sudden diversion due to an anonymous bomb threat.

And just days after the New Year, two Jetstar passengers arrived in Bali were livid after finding out that they made it to their destination… but their luggage didn’t.

So, what is your reaction to this news? Have you ever been stuck in a similar situation? How did your airline handle the delay or cancellation?

Tell us your thoughts and stories below!
Travel with Qantas (cheap arse flights)what do you expect the little piss bucket 🪣 in control is after profits not passenger comfort

I understand that airline bashing is a thing now and in some circumstances it's warranted, but when the delay is weather related, something outside of the airlines control it seems unfair. In this instance the weather made it impossible for the passengers to get to an hotel, you can't blame the airline for that. They did the best they could with what was available. It's not ideal and I understand that the travelers were upset, maybe better communication from the airline would have helped. :)

My recent Jetstar flight from Auckland was suddenly cancelled and there was a bit of confusion for about 45 minutes, after which passengers who didn’t live in Auckland were booked into a nearby hotel, provided with transport to get there, and given a meal allowance. The following day we were transported back to the airport, given a voucher for food and drinks at the airport, a free meal on the flight, and more vouchers for drinks or snacks. Couldn’t fault the air line or staff in any way.

Knowing the flight couldn't happen due to snow & no flight staff, why were blankets delayed for 7 hours ( 4 am )?

Perth, WA has accommodation for guests at one of their airports.

Regarding Jetstar not providing hotel accommodations in Osaka International airport for the passengers due to the road closure, there is a hotel in the airport which is connected to the terminal, no need to go outside. Jetstar always makes excuses not to pay for the hotel accommodations. When my JAL flight from Osaka to Sydney delayed for more than 8 hours they provided us with transport from airport to hotel and upon arrival at the hotel hot bento box was waiting and next morning bus took us back to the airport.