It pays to be honest…Or does it? This man found a $7.2 million check and was thanked with lollies…!

We've all had our fair share of bad luck.

That one time you were sure you had the winning lotto ticket in your hand, only to discover that the numbers were different... the day the elevator door closed on you just when you needed to arrive in time for an appointment… we’re sure you get it.

But sometimes, bad luck comes in much bigger forms. Take the story of one man from Germany, for example.

He became an internet sensation overnight – but not for reasons he would have liked.

The man, who wished to be known only as Anouar G., was taking a train home after visiting his mother when he spotted something on the platform that caught his eye: a check worth £4,631,538.80, or roughly $7.2 million (AUD).

Imagine finding a check for an amount that huge!

‘There was such a large sum on it that I couldn’t even pronounce it,’ he recalled.

A look at the piece of paper revealed that it was issued by a local supermarket for sweets industry giant Haribo, who you may be familiar with here in Australia as the manufacturer of Goldbears.

Ever the upstanding and honest man, Anouar quickly contacted the company about his find.

What happened next is where things get… interesting.

pexels-photo-117728.jpg
Anouar chanced upon a check for Haribo when was on his way home. Stock Photo Credit: Pexels/George Becker

You see, after being honest about how he came to find the check, all he got for his trouble was six packs of sweets!

According to Anouar, a lawyer representing Haribo got in touch with him and told him to destroy the check and provide a photograph as proof.

Without hesitation, Anouar followed the instructions.

A few days later, he received a box of Haribo sweets worth about $9.28 (AUD).

Understandably, Anouar feels he was short-changed as he believes he saved the company from losing millions with his act.

‘I thought it was a bit cheap,’ he said.

But Haribo for its part is unfazed by Anouar’s disappointment.

‘Since it was a crossed check, nobody but our company could have redeemed it.’ a spokesperson said.

‘(Anouar was sent) our standard package that we send as a thank you.’

Many online weighed in on the incident, and some felt Anouar was justified in his feelings.

‘I get that he couldn’t have cashed the check …. and they weren’t out any money.’ a user said.

‘But I guess when you think about it, he found a check for ($7.09 million) and they send him like a few dollars worth of candy?’

A second one observed, ‘Six small packages seem a bit cheap. Couldn’t they send a large box?’

But others said Haribo had nothing to answer for.

Screenshot_4.png
Haribo is known for its line of sweets. Credit: Haribo

One person pointed out: ‘The check was more than likely cancelled and reissued, so the check is worthless. While it is neat that he found the check, it really isn’t worth much of a reward.’

Others even criticised Anouar for his entitlement.

‘Ungrateful if you ask me, he simply called, and they told him to rip it up, so he did and sent a picture. Getting something at all I would be stoked,’ said one user.

Another agreed, and said: ‘You don’t need a pat on the head for doing the right thing.’

Well, as they say, a good deed is its own reward. But you can’t blame Anouar for expecting a bit more given the huge amount involved.

Speaking of good deeds, you might find the story of one mum’s shopping centre find that had her on the verge of tears, or one Woolies employee’s simple act of kindness that made the difference for a shopper having a bad day.

So, do you think Anouar is right to feel like he was done dirty by receiving just six bags of candy for his honesty? Or was he expecting too much considering only Haribo could’ve cashed the check?

Tell us your thoughts and opinions below!

Source: YouTube/Breakfast Club Power 105.1 FM

Sponsored
When I started reading this I thought what's the big deal , the cheque would have be worthless no one but the name in the cheque could cash it and was sure it would have been cancelled and reissued

I remember trying to deposit a cheque into our account which the person writing it had put my husbands shortened name on it . Surname was correct and first name nearly correct but they wouldn't accept it.

• Sad
Reactions: JayKay and Ricci

That one time you were sure you had the winning lotto ticket in your hand, only to discover that the numbers were different... the day the elevator door closed on you just when you needed to arrive in time for an appointment… we’re sure you get it.

But sometimes, bad luck comes in much bigger forms. Take the story of one man from Germany, for example.

He became an internet sensation overnight – but not for reasons he would have liked.

The man, who wished to be known only as Anouar G., was taking a train home after visiting his mother when he spotted something on the platform that caught his eye: a check worth £4,631,538.80, or roughly $7.2 million (AUD).

‘There was such a large sum on it that I couldn’t even pronounce it,’ he recalled.

A look at the piece of paper revealed that it was issued by a local supermarket for sweets industry giant Haribo, who you may be familiar with here in Australia as the manufacturer of Goldbears.

Ever the upstanding and honest man, Anouar quickly contacted the company about his find.

View attachment 9124
Anouar chanced upon a check for Haribo when was on his way home. Stock Photo Credit: Pexels/George Becker

You see, after being honest about how he came to find the check, all he got for his trouble was six packs of sweets!

According to Anouar, a lawyer representing Haribo got in touch with him and told him to destroy the check and provide a photograph as proof.

Understandably, Anouar feels he was short-changed as he believes he saved the company from losing millions with his act.

‘Since it was a crossed check, nobody but our company could have redeemed it.’ a spokesperson said.

Many online weighed in on the incident, and some felt Anouar was justified in his feelings.

‘I get that he couldn’t have cashed the check …. and they weren’t out any money.’ a user said.

‘But I guess when you think about it, he found a check for ($7.09 million) and they send him like a few dollars worth of candy?’

A second one observed, ‘Six small packages seem a bit cheap. Couldn’t they send a large box?’

View attachment 9125

One person pointed out: ‘The check was more than likely cancelled and reissued, so the check is worthless. While it is neat that he found the check, it really isn’t worth much of a reward.’

‘Ungrateful if you ask me, he simply called, and they told him to rip it up, so he did and sent a picture. Getting something at all I would be stoked,’ said one user.

Another agreed, and said: ‘You don’t need a pat on the head for doing the right thing.’

Well, as they say, a good deed is its own reward. But you can’t blame Anouar for expecting a bit more given the huge amount involved.

Speaking of good deeds, you might find the story of one mum’s shopping centre find that had her on the verge of tears, or one Woolies employee’s simple act of kindness that made the difference for a shopper having a bad day.

So, do you think Anouar is right to feel like he was done dirty by receiving just six bags of candy for his honesty? Or was he expecting too much considering only Haribo could’ve cashed the check?

Who still uses cheques. Our bank contacted us last week to tell us that they were cancelling the remaining cheques in our book because "no-one" uses cheques any more

Cheques? Who in this day and age still uses such an outdated method of payment? That being said no one other than Haribo could cash it so what he actually found was a bit of paper with some numbers on it. If I write some numbers on a piece of paper can I get some free lollies too? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Interesting reading. So many thoughts to this. Good for the mans honesty for returning the check but since it is a cheque and since it was cancelled, I would have just trashed it. There is no value to the cheque. The clerk would probably have just tore it up into pieces when they received the cheque. My next thought is that well, at least Haribo sent hm some packets of sweets for his efforts. It was not like he returned to them a large amount of cash.

View attachment 9124

View attachment 9125

Reminds of a story my mum told me about when she was young. Mum and a bunch of her friends would go to the pictures every Saturday. They found a wallet in the foyer and handed it in and the manager contacted the owner. Instead of saying thank you he said you better not have stolen any money and left. The manager was disgusted and gave them free drinks and popcorn and tickets for the next matinée. The man in Germany at least got a thanks.

View attachment 9124

View attachment 9125

something similar happened to me. some years ago I picked up a bunch of keys in a carpark, theere was a phone number so I called it, the man answered and said that he was just about to leave to catch a plane, I told him where I was and he came and collected the keys, it was then that he told me that he has a office cleaning business and these keys were the keys to the bank (where I had found them). not that I was expecting any type of reward, they were just "lost keys" and hopefully if I had lost mine they would be returned, hoever, as they were such important keys to open the bank I thought he coild have offered a small reward or got me a lottery ticket or something.

Cheques? Who in this day and age still uses such an outdated method of payment? That being said no one other than Haribo could cash it so what he actually found was a bit of paper with some numbers on it. If I write some numbers on a piece of paper can I get some free lollies too? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
I would say big companies still using cheques, because you only can transfer a certain amount each time. So I think that $7 million, would be impossible as a transfer. Maybe I’m wrong 🤷🏻‍♀️

Reactions: Jennylolo and Ricci
I would say big companies still using cheques, because you only can transfer a certain amount each time. So I think that $7 million, would be impossible as a transfer. Maybe I’m wrong 🤷🏻‍♀️
Big Companies can arrange with the Banks a far higher limit on individual transactions. Let's face it at $7m it's only numbers in a column on the Banks computer. :)

Reactions: Groovy
Many many years ago now while walking with my then 4yr old daughter and pushing a pram with my under 12 mth old son to the train station I found a small jewellery bag containing some rings along the side of the road. The rings very old and worn and when I got to town I immediately took them to the Police Station where I was basically accused of stealing them. Turns out there had been a house robbery a few streets away from where I lived the night before near a Housing Commission block of units and because I was from that same sort of area they tried to point the finger at me. I was gobsmacked, not to mention humiliated in front of my daughter who was saying "But Mummy you picked it up from the gutter" and the cops telling her to be quiet. Took a lot of explaining to my 4yr old over the next few weeks to get her to understand that even though the police were wrong it should never stop her from doing the right thing and handing in lost property. Took me yrs though to be able to pick up a lost item again and hand it in. I just left it were it was and hoped someone else would do the right thing.

• Sad
We should all do the right thing, being honest, all the time, without expecting a reward.
It was only a piece of paper, afterall, with no value.
I think some lollies was a great reward.
Now, if it had been cash.....different story...a larger reward may have been appropriate.

View attachment 9124

View attachment 9125

I think he was expecting too much as you are right only Haribo could cash the check!

Reactions: Ricci